Screen Res Question

In Hornet Leader PC, you command a squadron of the U.S. Navy’s elite F/A-18 Hornet Strike Fighters! You select the pilots and arm the aircraft based on real-world mission briefings. Once you reach your objective, you evaluate threats, and do what needs to be done to destroy the target!

Moderator: MOD_HornetLeaderPC

StormcloudCreations

Screen Res Question

Post by StormcloudCreations »

Just a curious question: Right now, HLPC (if you haven't read the requirement) requires 1280x1024 screen resolution support on a system. Most desktop computers made the last 3-5 years (and monitors 17" and higher) can support this resolution fine. Some laptops however, do not support this, so we're determining if this is even an issue. Many people here i've noticed have been complaining that Matrix needs to support higher resolutions.

Vote in the poll and let us know if you can support this resolution ok.
Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com
oi_you_nutter

RE: Screen Res Question

Post by oi_you_nutter »

although my two desktops can support 1280x1024, my laptops cannot, and although i agree in principle that recent kit can run at 1280x1024, a lot of it is not practical.

my computers are:
desktop 1) 1680x1050 widescreen 20 inch LCD
desktop 2) 19 inch CRT that can support 1280x1024 but i  run at 1152x964 most of the time
laptop 1) 1280x800 on 15.4 widescreen laptop
laptop 2) 1024x768 on 10.1 inch laptop

ugh
StormcloudCreations

The way this game is laid out (and the number of pieces that can be potentially dealt with), 1024x768 just wasn't practical. Everything would be squeezed and it wouldn't look good. :) And you have two systems that could handle it fine.
Derek
starman

Post by starman »

Will it only run at that resolution , or will it run at higher resolutions. I have access to 1280 x 1024 but it isnt that conveniant. My laptop is 1400 x 1050 and Im guessing this will be fine. Your question is misleading it really should say either only 1280 x 1024 or at least 1280 x 1024.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Other than the 75 refresh rate, which tends to irritate my eyes, I can run 1280X1024. My only other minor quibble would be that I hope icons and text are rather big, I usually have trouble reading things at that res.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
StormcloudCreations

starman: Only at that res at this time. There is concern that people who can only run lower reses (mostly laptops) will get shut out of the game. From my own surveys with my own customers and info here, most run at that res (or higher) natively every day (or could if they wanted), so I don't feel its an issue at all. It will switch automatically to the 1280x1024 res during the game; you won't have to switch manually. Yes, your laptop would be fine (laptops with higher end screens/video cards probably won't have a problem).

Son_Of_M: Yes icons and text aren't super tiny, no. :)
Derek
starman

Post by starman »

Thanks,

Modern LCD based screens are designed to run at there native resolution. For the final product it might be best to allow it to adjust to that resolution, with a minimum resolution of 1280 x 1024.
StormcloudCreations

The game for now is hard coded to use that res, and since it uses so many elements on the screen at once on certain screens (and I avoided using outside libraries deliberately) it would be difficult to do adjustable res. But it could be considered later on, of course. I'm just mainly looking to see the percentage of people who can run it versus those that can't.

Of course, adding in the ability to change to higher reses wouldn't be that hard (though it might be a little small and not used much). Would it be worth it to most people here?
Derek
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

For this type of game, it would not be worth it - 1280x1024 would be fine.  Spend the time instead on a Vietnam air war mod!  [:D]
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: StormcloudCreations

The game for now is hard coded to use that res, and since it uses so many elements on the screen at once on certain screens (and I avoided using outside libraries deliberately) it would be difficult to do adjustable res. But it could be considered later on, of course. I'm just mainly looking to see the percentage of people who can run it versus those that can't.

Of course, adding in the ability to change to higher reses wouldn't be that hard (though it might be a little small and not used much). Would it be worth it to most people here?

I know it's not the same game, and that you didn't code it, but of all the games I have bought in the last few years, Down in Flames had the worst res-switching of any of them. Well, i should say that res-switching was non-existent. You had to run your monitor in a native 4:3 to get the game to run correctly at all. It really screwed things up when you ran a native 16:10 widescreen resolution.

The two most commonly used widescreen resolutions are 1680x1050 and 1280x800. I could deal with it if it did a hard-code res switch though. I play games like that all the time (including yours). Some of your games don't switch back though.
StormcloudCreations

SlapBone: Some of my older games did have a problem with switching back when exiting (including refresh rates of the monitor). Hornet Leader PC will switch back properly, and my games have for quite awhile now. I've tried HLPC with a widescreen monitor, and it looks fine overall. Slightly "stretched" feel, but still pretty good.
Derek
MIGMaster

Post by MIGMaster »

I think a resolution of 1280x1024 is a pretty standard deal. Laptops may hit the wall, but they will with other games as well. Given the turn-based or limited action of wargames I think it's a necessary and reasonable move. Resolutions such as this in mainstream gaming are totally common (even in the graphic intensive FPS market) so to hold back resolution to accomodate the laptop or lower end display population will be a bum biter in the long run.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I personally enjoy WitP (War in the Pacific's) approach to it. Full screen, it's 1024x768, but if you window it, it's native resolution. Looks muuuch better on my monitor at 1280x1024, and a strategy game like that doesn't really need to be played full screen, IMHO.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

and my games have for quite awhile now.

I said "some" [:)]
mack2

Post by mack2 »

Anyone who has a bigger resolution than the default should really be playing it in window mode.

Assuming of course, the makers of the game implement a windowed mode which on the way this game is described, probably should happen. I doubt it's like a modern shooter/rts with 3d graphics and whatnot.
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

To support higher resolutions is fine.....but to require it [:-]
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I'm interested in buying this game.. but it would be for my laptop which is 1280*768. I'm afraid 1280*1024 only would mean I wouldn't buy it
StormcloudCreations

Banquet: Do you have a desktop you could use? Very few I know only use laptops for everything, due to their inherent limitations and requirement to be plugged in or charged, etc.
Derek
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Hi Derek,

I do have a desktop that can run at the required res. However I only get to use it uninterrupted for gaming on Saturday nights.. the laptop, on the other hand, goes everywhere with me and I can steel a few turns of a game here and there throughout the day. Because of that I tend to look out for games that will run on the laptop.

Once the game is released, if the reviews and forum comments seem to indicate it is a 'must have' then I would probably buy it and play it on the desktop, although I will hardly get to play it! However I would definitely buy it if it would run on the laptop.

I know I'm only 1 sale and it hardly matters in the scheme of things.. but you did ask!

Banquet: Do you have a desktop you could use? Very few I know only use laptops for everything, due to their inherent limitations and requirement to be plugged in or charged, etc.
Dabo

Post by Dabo »

1600x1200 for both laptop(15'') and desktop (20'')

Return to “Hornet Leader PC”