Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

thinking about buying this game soon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> thinking about buying this game soon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
thinking about buying this game soon - 8/2/2007 2:35:23 AM   
mek42

I'm thinking about buying this game in a couple weeks and was wondering if you'd be willing to share what ou like and don't like about the game. Links to particularly good threads here to read would be appreciated.

From reading the forum a bit I do have some questions.

Is the AI challenging?

At the start of the game, who is at war with who?

Would there be people willing to do a pbem with a rank beginner but that aren't looking for grognard fresh meat?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/2/2007 9:17:51 AM   
GKar

The AI is good for learning the game, then it stops being a challenge. PBEM is what you should do as soon as you feel up to it.

At the start of the game, basically only Germany is at war with the Western Allies with the US being unable to move and of very limited industrial capacity - it's the historical setup after all!

I'm sure you'll find someone of similar skill, but note that you'll learn the most from a few crushing defeats against a good player. Most of us had to go through that.

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 2
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/2/2007 9:56:29 AM   
rjh1971

Have you read the AAR section there are currently two tournaments running and some very good AAR have been posted.

From my experience there's nothing I don't like about the game, once you understand how it works it really hooks you up, it may take you a while to fully understand it but its worth the cost, as said so many times "easy to play, hard to master"

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 3
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/3/2007 2:02:06 AM   
mek42

So if the game starts only Germany and WA at war (excluding US), would it be possible and / or viable for Germany to not invade Russia and instead attempt to get Sea Lion going (this is the planned German invasion of Britain, right?)?  I envision a "defensive" positioning of troops to the east to deter those nekulturney commie savages, perhaps making a stab at some neutral Balkans and working on Africa and clearing the Med while building a Baltic fleet big enough to make Churchill cry in his tea.

Or has this been done ad nauseum and found to be sub-standard?

I noticed from the AAR's that sometime the game is played with 4 people - that seems neat.

Thanks!

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 4
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/3/2007 10:07:41 AM   
rjh1971

The USA and the USSR enter the war when their war readiness (WR) reaches a certain threshold, each turn that WR increases randomly by certain point and by some actions done by the player.

For example there is a chance (25% or 50%) US WR increases any time an uboat attacks and damages or sinks a Transport Fleet, it also increases when an Axis power attacks a neutral country, when Vichy France is created, when the japs capture a chinese region, if Spain joins Germany or Britain falls to the Krauts. If Japan attacks the USSR...
A big boost in WR is given to the USA when either Japan or Germany attacks the USA.

WR also affects the output production capacity, for example when the US reach 28 WR it triggers the 2x multiplier for factories.
Each turn the WR is increased randomly by certain values in an interval. The USA enters the war when its WR reaches 37, or earlier if attacked.

For the USSR once the WR reaches 34 it enters the war, or ealier if attacked.
The USSR WR increases by 8 each time an Axis power attacks a neutral country that is adajacent to a Soviet controlled region. (So beware if you attack Turkey, or Persia)
It also increases by one if the Soviets increment the garrison in E. Poland under certain circumstances, or if the Germans violate the Soviet-German partition agreement by attacking the Baltic States or E. Poland before Poland has fallen.
Soviet WR increases when Vichy France is created, if England falls and when attacked by the Axis.

So now that WR has been explained to answer your question, my opinion is that Sealion can be attempted but you have to plan it flawlesly or it will not succeed (I'm talking against a human opponent), coordinating it with an attack on N. Africa and onto the Middle East would help, always keep an eye on Soviet WR or you might find the red bear stabing at your back. The cons are that you allow the soviets to build lots of units and increase their R&D levels, anyway many possibilities are opened.

Oh and forget about builidng a Glorious Kriegsmarine (apart from submarines) or you're doomed, it takes too long to be built, much better concentrate on aircraft, CAGs (carrier air grupes) if you want to inflict heavy damaged to allied shipping.

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 5
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/4/2007 1:15:29 AM   
mek42

Ok, I found a demo of the original version that isn't corrupted.  Hopefully the gameplay is at least similar to the current version.  This way I can play and learn for the week or two it will be until I can make the purchase.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 6
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/5/2007 1:06:32 AM   
rjh1971

The sequel is a lot better than the original one, but meanwhile you can play WAW and try to learn the basics.

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 7
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/5/2007 3:33:54 AM   
christian brown

Almost better not to do that, this is not, strictly speaking, a sequel; the mechanics have changed, hence even a veteran WaW player will be outbested by a moderately experienced AWD player.........I've been reading military history for 20+ years and NO GAME yet encountered offers as realistic a portrayal of the second world war as this one in a "playable" version, i.e. you can finish a PBEM (in other words, versus a sentient human opponent) game in a few weeks rather than a few months.......or years, lol. Trust me, this game is totally worth the 30 bucks or whatever to play it.........I almost feel sorry for those that:
1: Naturally distrust PC gaming because they are used to the board
2. Feel that so-called "real-time strategy" gaming could ever take the place of a thinking man's game
3. Have missed the opportunity to try AWD

IMHO, the best mil strat game on the market today is AWD, I'm currently in the process of saving up for a wireless laptop SIMPLY SO I CAN PLAY AWD PBEM ON THE ROAD.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 8
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/5/2007 3:39:36 AM   
christian brown

Another note (of some importance, IMO):
No one wins nor loses this game by chance alone, planning and execution are the key..........what better compliment to pay a strat game?
BTW my Win/Loss ratio is something like 5-50.........no shame in my game......I learned a lot.......

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 9
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/5/2007 3:14:27 PM   
rjh1971

Hey Mek42 you just met supporter number one of this game Mr C. Brown, aren't you Christian?

How are savings going, we all miss playing against you.

Post #: 10
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/6/2007 1:33:42 AM   
mek42

Well, the demo only lasts for four turns, so I'll not be learning any major strategies to unlearn in a week or two.  Mostly just wanted to get an idea of what the game is about.

My interest is definitely whetted.  Now it is just a matter of getting to a point where I can drop the $50 that the games costs.

It has taken me a whole 3 months of employment to recover from a 4 month unemployment.  Am almost ready to have a discretionary budget once again. :)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 11
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/6/2007 9:45:47 AM   
christian brown

oh so european, I know exactly how you feel.......the work that you can get is taxed at 50%........it hurts.......as far as this game goes it is rather a no-brainer (as we americans say.) If you wish to pit the high strategy you have learned from books against another person, this is the way to go.....believe me, failure is a hallmark of being a newbie........I, even though a beta-tester have consistently been beaten by those that have played less......I think about why during the seemingly endless hours I spend on the road........Am I not smarter? Have I not understood the lessons of the second world war better than most? These are the questions that arise from my losses.......again, once we ponder our failings in a game; rather than rail against the game's shortcomings, we realize what a gift the game has become in our lives.......perhaps this is all too much, but quite frankly, if you take this seriously, AWD can be quite the conundrum........it would appear that even those who have studied the conflict less, but have learned the lessons more astuteley, always win....

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 12
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/6/2007 9:48:59 AM   
christian brown

To rjh1971......
My savings are being sapped......even though I earn an astonishing 4k per month, my money is continually taken away by women....such is life.....god bless you for asking..........btw I will have that wireless 2gig 2 gig ram 17inch laptop within 2 months .....beware....I will have nothing better to do on the highway than plan against you : )

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 13
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/6/2007 10:06:25 AM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: mek42

Well, the demo only lasts for four turns, so I'll not be learning any major strategies to unlearn in a week or two.  Mostly just wanted to get an idea of what the game is about.

My interest is definitely whetted.  Now it is just a matter of getting to a point where I can drop the $50 that the games costs.

It has taken me a whole 3 months of employment to recover from a 4 month unemployment.  Am almost ready to have a discretionary budget once again. :)

... then it's time for a little leisure...

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 14
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/6/2007 10:12:39 AM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: christian brown

To rjh1971......
My savings are being sapped......even though I earn an astonishing 4k per month, my money is continually taken away by women....such is life.....god bless you for asking..........btw I will have that wireless 2gig 2 gig ram 17inch laptop within 2 months .....beware....I will have nothing better to do on the highway than plan against you : )

Hung on there Christian, you will eventually make it and be the envy of all of us with that super heavy laptop you're getting yourself.

Bty do you get free wireless in the freeways?

Post #: 15
RE: thinking about buying this game soon - 8/7/2007 3:34:45 AM   
mek42

quote:

ORIGINAL: christian brown

oh so european, I know exactly how you feel.......the work that you can get is taxed at 50%........it hurts.......as far as this game goes it is rather a no-brainer (as we americans say.) If you wish to pit the high strategy you have learned from books against another person, this is the way to go.....believe me, failure is a hallmark of being a newbie........I, even though a beta-tester have consistently been beaten by those that have played less......I think about why during the seemingly endless hours I spend on the road........Am I not smarter? Have I not understood the lessons of the second world war better than most? These are the questions that arise from my losses.......again, once we ponder our failings in a game; rather than rail against the game's shortcomings, we realize what a gift the game has become in our lives.......perhaps this is all too much, but quite frankly, if you take this seriously, AWD can be quite the conundrum........it would appear that even those who have studied the conflict less, but have learned the lessons more astuteley, always win....

Ah, no, I'm a Yank here too. Even so, when you add up all of the income (Fed and State), sales, property and miscellaneous taxes and revenue devices I am of the opinion that we are taxed close to 50% here too without public healthcare! Ok, rantmode off and back on topic.

I think that I might get back to reading a book about combined arms in the 20th century. I left off half through and the book was in the middle of WWII combined arms tactics and doctrine development. I'm not a big WWII history buff and will be looking at the game more as a game than a historical simulator, but I am sure that I will improve my knowledge and understanding of WWII history through the game and especially the forums.

Thank you for the warm welcome and willingness to put up with my hordes of questions!

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> thinking about buying this game soon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI