Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Goeben?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Goeben? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Goeben? - 7/29/2007 10:42:16 PM   
Bismarck

Am I missing something? The Germans had a small squadron in the Med based around SMS Goeben?

Jim Cobb
Post #: 1
RE: Goeben? - 7/29/2007 11:28:38 PM   
hartwig.modrow

Yes they had... Rear Admiral Wilhelm Souchon in command, I think... Goeben and Breslau.

Short campaign under German flag though... they shot at some French bases in Algeria, then a short encounter with HMS Gloucester who preferred to break off when they saw what they were encountering on their way EAST (which confused Sir Milne a bit). They reached the Dardanelles (sp?) by August 10th and were transferred to Turkey a few days later - if I recall correctly, many people think that's what triggered Turkey's joining the central powers.

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 2
RE: Goeben? - 7/29/2007 11:33:49 PM   
Arinvald

They start in the Turkish Navy. As sonn as Turkey joins the CP, look at the Turkish Naval page.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to hartwig.modrow)
Post #: 3
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 12:53:38 AM   
Bismarck

Thanks. A tiny shame because they MAY have been able to disrupt the transfer of French troops to France from Algeria. I think Milne got a rocket from the Admiralty for not stopping them.

< Message edited by Bismarck -- 7/30/2007 12:59:03 AM >

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 4
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 12:54:21 AM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

Thanks. A tiny shame because they MAY have been able to disrupt the transfer of French troops to France from Algeria.

Goeben is simulated in TOAW

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 5
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 1:52:27 AM   
SMK-at-work

The order for Goeben to sail for Turkey was given befoer the outbreak of the war, and is often regarded as one of hte things that helped Turkey into the war.

sure it might disrupt Med shipments, but only until it got caught (it was lucky to get away as it was), and then you'd have a question whether or not Turkey would join.......

Does the TOAW scenario give these options?  (I'm a great TOAW fan - haven't played WW1 tho)

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 6
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 1:58:23 AM   
7th Somersets

There is nothing to stop the Turks setting sail in the Goeben though... I have had many a vicious naval battle in the Eastern Med with the Turks and AH naval forces causing trouble and stopping me from successfully forcing the straits...

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 7
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 12:53:49 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

The order for Goeben to sail for Turkey was given befoer the outbreak of the war, and is often regarded as one of hte things that helped Turkey into the war.

sure it might disrupt Med shipments, but only until it got caught (it was lucky to get away as it was), and then you'd have a question whether or not Turkey would join.......

Does the TOAW scenario give these options? (I'm a great TOAW fan - haven't played WW1 tho)

You are right. Goeben couldn't do too much in reality because it will be sunk by Anglo French forces... he bombed some ports and that's it. TOAW simulates ability to actually sink it before it get's away (not without losses of course, he was very modern). Turkey joins CP anyway and if it is damaged he will show up near Constantinople when repaired from the pool.

Post #: 8
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 2:01:48 PM   
SMK-at-work

It actually did quite well in hte Black sea - it was instrumental in keeping hte Russian fleet away from the Bosphorous for example.

Post #: 9
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 3:40:02 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

It actually did quite well in hte Black sea - it was instrumental in keeping hte Russian fleet away from the Bosphorous for example.

Yeah, I know I have many books on that. Massie, Halpern...
I am history junkie with more than 100 books on ww1, ww2, napoleonic etc...

Post #: 10
RE: Goeben? - 7/30/2007 5:47:07 PM   
jimi3

This link is to a great history of early WW1 med ops. And it's free !!!
The flight of the 'Goeben' and the 'Breslau,' an episode in naval history ([1921])
http://www.archive.org/details/flightofgoebenbr00milnuoft
Anyone remember the old Strategy and Tactics game Flight of the Goeben?

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 11
RE: Goeben? - 7/31/2007 12:33:48 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeys Brain

I am history junkie with more than 100 books on ww1, ww2, napoleonic etc...

Only 100?? Pfft.....rank amateur!! But I guess you have to start somewhere

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 7/31/2007 12:34:00 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Goeben? - 7/31/2007 10:35:54 AM   
Monkeys Brain

[/quote]

Only 100?? Pfft.....rank amateur!! But I guess you have to start somewhere
[/quote]

Exactly

Post #: 13
RE: Goeben? - 7/31/2007 4:39:56 PM   
Redan

The Author Barbara Tuchman was aboard an Italian liner bound for Istanbul and witnessed the encounter between G and G. She was a child. See her book Guns of August for detailed account of the whole incident. The Brits cancelled delivery of 2 completed drednoughts to Ottomans, which also added to Turkish decision to enter war.

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

Post #: 14
RE: Goeben? - 8/3/2007 4:54:54 AM   
Def Zep

quote:

jimi3 -

Anyone remember the old Strategy and Tactics game Flight of the Goeben?

Dave Williams (strategic board)/Tony Morale (tactical system), iirc. S&T 21. Dave Williams also did Anzio & the Anzio Beach-head mini-game (intended for inclusion in AH's Anzio, but dropped for space/cost reasons; appeared instead in S&T 19). Anzio introduced step reduction; Anzio Beach-head was notable for being one of the first games with impulse movement turns.

One of my favorite games in high school. I remember re-doing all of Jutland (AH) to use the tactical system, and liking "Flight of the Goeben" 's strategic map quite a bit better for moving fleets than plotting.

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Goeben? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI