AAR/Quick Guide Central Powers 1914

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Hanal

AAR/Quick Guide Central Powers 1914

Post by Hanal »

This AAR is intended as a suppliment to Lava's Quck Start guide. It is really intended for those still undecided about the game or those who just completed their download and want to jump in without glancing at the manual. (Like anyone really does that right? [;)])

Those experienced with the game, feel free to chime in with any corrections to rule interpretations I probably will make, or suggestions.

I'm playing Central Powers with no advantages.

After clicking off the first screen I come to the one time only mobilization phase. I move Prittwitz and Herringen to the west and send the 34th, 35th and 36th reserve Corps to the east.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Hanal

RE: AAR/Quick Guide Central Powers 1914

Post by Hanal »

On the Austro-Serbian front I decide to fortify my Army by moving Krasnik and the reserve corps there....

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I take a gamble and leave the Russian front a bit light hoping that there is enough there to hold off the Russians.

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

We now move to the Strategic Phase which occurs at the beginning of every turn. Since there are multiple impulses within each turn, what decisions you make here cannot be changed until all of the impulse turns are over.

I have two research points which I use for Artillery and Trench

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (56.98 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Strategic Decision 2

With Research done I move to airpower where I will send all 6 air points to the west. Note that because I sent my reserve corps to the east, this opened up the east front theater as well for air point distribution. (thanks to Arinvald for pointing that one out)

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Strategic Decision 3

With Research and airpower out of the way, I now turn to Diplomacy.

I use my one diplomatic point to send a bottle of chianti to Italy. Hopefully this overture will draw them close. I also declare war on Belgium and Luxembourg. No diplo-points are needed when declaring war.

Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Strategic Decision 4

Now that research, airpower, and Diplomacy are done, it is time to move on to the German Navy. I send the two subs out on anti-shipping and assembled a fleet to perform Raider operations in the Atlantic. Hold down the control key in order to make multiple selections. You start out with 64 naval asset points and each operation will use some of that up. You will be able to purchase more naval asset points in future strategic phases but I want to keep some of these in reserve in case I cannot afford to buy more later. The 62 assets shown on the screen reflect the deduction of 2 assets for the sub missions.

Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Stratiegic Decision 5

Now that we have completed Research, Airpower, Diplomacy, and Naval operations, we move on to building up some more forces. The top row shows your total resources and below that is each type of unit that is available and how much of your resources it will cost to build the unit. I start off the another HQ and good old boy Hindenburg appears on the right side queue. I also build another sub, 2 artillery, 1 seige artillery, and two transports.

Let's not forget about out Austrian partners as I go to the top toolbar and select them. Their choices are not as plentiful as the Germans due to a poorer economy. I select the Balkans for their one airpower unit, With only 4 naval asset points, I pass on any actions this turn. There is no Research to do this turn, and I buy a seige artillery unit for the Balkan Campaign.

Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 620 times
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

JP!

Looking good. I especially like the way you are ganging up on Serbia...

Question: What are the mechanics to select the different ships for a squadron? I seem to only be able to pick a group of ships that are together with a scrolling technique using the mouse.

I think I'm doing something wrong...

Ray (alias Lava)
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Activation Phase 1

Now comes the time to spend some of your HQ's activation points in order to launch offensives during the orders phase. If you click on an HQ you will see a small "activate" window pop up. Click on it and that HQ will spend one of its' points to become active.

Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Ray, if you keep the control key (ctrl) pressed while clicking on each ship, they will all remain selected.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Activation Phase cont.

After activating a HQ unit, you will see a yellow border surrounding all of the units that you will be able to issue orders to during the orders phase. Note that I did not activate Prittwitz and Heeringen as they are not in a position to launch an offensive during the initial battles. It costs no activation points to move units around in friendly hexes so hopefully they will be able to advance if my front line can make a push....

Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Activation phase cont.

It is also during the activation phase that, if you have air superiority you can spend and air recon point to check out an enemy hex. Just click on an enemy hex and you will see an air recon pop up. Click on it and a box will show you how many corps are in the hex and their strength

Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I do not spend any activation points on my Russian front but make sure all three HQs on the Serbian front are active. I also had air superiority on the Balkan front so this is what my air recon found....

Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 618 times
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Ray, if you keep the control key (ctrl) pressed while clicking on each ship, they will all remain selected.

Thanks!

Very kewl AAR... nice strategy and tips!

Keep it up...

Ray (alias Lava)
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Orders Phase

Now we go back to the units that are activated and give them orders. Clicking on the Hausen HQ brings up a pop up with the available orders you can conduct for the impulse turn. I want to move the stack into Luxemburg and the yellow arrows shows you all the directions you can move. If you forgot to dow on Luxemburg during the strategic phase you will not see an arrow pointing in that direction, so you will be prevented from moving there. And since there will not be a strategic phase again until all impulses are completed in this turn, you are stuck. (hmmm do I smell reload    [;)])

Attachments
14.jpg
14.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Orders Phase

Hausen has temporarily moved into Luxemburg. I can now move Prittwitz into the hex that Hausen vacated even though I did not spend an activation point. Note that the yellow outline is no longer on the Hausen stack as he has completed his orders.

Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Orders Phase

I use some of my rail points to strategically move my newly acquired Hindenburg HQ to the east. On the Serbian front I order Kraznik into the spotted Serbian corp. The artillery unit is left behind and I select the barrage order. Because the Serbian corp has been spotted, the arty attack will be more effective.

Attachments
16.jpg
16.jpg (54.95 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Orders Phase Finale

I then issue orders to my remaing German HQ's on the west front, and you see below the final set up after all orders are given. It looks like a nice advance but I have not continued to the resolution phase yet when the bullets start to fly. I hope I can get a couple of hexes occupied when the smoke clears.

to be continued........

Attachments
17.jpg
17.jpg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 620 times
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

Great info here...I'm gonna restart my German campaign.  Its early 1917 in my current game and both Germany and Austria now down to wavering. 

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”