Lastly, here is a list of all the changes i have included -
Change log – 27th July 2007
Added 65 new cities to the map.
My reasons for adding so many new cities are -
1) Make neutral nations who did not fight in the war harder to conquer. This will stop the axis player being too keen on attacking Sweden, Spain, Turkey, Iraq etc as these countries will have more cities to deploy to and I have also beefed up there armies, It can still be done but it will be harder and more expensive.
2) Adding more interest to the North African theatre – I have added place names that we all know of from the North African campaign and have also increased UK and Italian forces in the area. There is a bit more to play for in this region now. Also Mediterranean islands are occupied and more ships are deployed to try to get things moving here as well.
3) More coastal cities and therefore more ports. There does seem to be a shortage of ports on the standard map.
4) For interest – I think it is interesting to track your invasions (Or retreats) by city names or areas and all the cities add a bit more life to the map.
5) More points to defend on the map. Should help the Russians deploy better and should make it a bit harder for Germany to take France initially.
List of added cities -
UK – Belfast, York, Portsmouth, Crete, Alexandria, El Alamein, Sidi Barani, Jeruasalem, Amman
Ireland – Cork
France – Ameins, Orleans, Dijon, Ajaccio, Nantes, Damascus, Marakech, Osan
German – Stuttgart, Nurnberg, Hannover, Bratislava
Poland – Poznan
Spain – Zaragossa, Valladolid, Valencia, Tangier
Italy – Cagliarri, Bardia, Benghazi, Siddra, Ravenna, Naples, Salerno
Greece – Cyprus
Russia – Balta, Lubny, Orsha, Gomel, Orel, Kalinn, Mozkaisk, Demyansk, Kotelnkov
Persia – Tabriz, Esfahan
Yugoslavia – Sarajevo, Skopje
Bulgaria – Plovdiv
Romania – Bacau
Iraq – An Najaf, Fallujah, Kirkut
Sweden – Gothenburg, Karlstad, Umea
Norway – Trondheim, Stavenger
Finland – Vassa, Joenssu
Turkey – Sirit, Izmit, Maras, Trezbon, Kars, Antalya, Izmir
One more major change on the map – I have added two oil fields in Germany called ‘synthetic oil plant’ these represent Germany’s synthetic oil industry and add a new strategic consideration. The axis now have no off map oil income so if the allies strategic bomb these plants the axis will lose oil production. Both of these will produce 9 oil per turn, which is more than the axis receive in the standard scenario but axis starting oil levels are reduced. The axis now has to make and protect their oil!!
Starting manpower levels have been increased to allow for more units and replacements.
STARTING ORDERS OF BATTLE –
All major countries (Except the USA) and some minors have additional starting forces. For countries who were not historically involved in WW2 this is to make it harder to invade these countries – For example Turkey and Iraq have been beefed up to try and stop the axis using these routes to the oil fields.
All new cities have been given a garrison, Germany has been given two new subs, UK more ships, Russia more troops (Mainly garrisons to represent the size but poor quality of the red army at the start of the war). France has more troops as their army was not small at the outbreak of war. Italy and UK have more assets in the med and Africa
Turns are now 14 days each; this was done basically to increase the length of the game in line with the extra units and other changes such as extra cities which will slow offensive progress down in some areas.
UNIT ATTRIBUTES -
All units have had 1 added to their survivability; all ground units have had their ground attack increased by 1 and their ground defence increased by 2. Tac and Strat bombers have had their ground attack increased by 1. What this means is the player has to plan his attacks better, weakening entrenched units with air power and armour or attacking from several hexes. One on one battle with equal rated and equipped troops will favour the defender. The idea is to make use of armour and tac bombers to break through the enemy then encircle with infantry and attack from 3 or 4 hexes at once. This is more in line with WW2 tactics to me.
All unit costs have been slightly increased due to the additional turns and production on the map. I have reduced the cost of subs to make the production of these more viable. Oil use for armour, motorised, fighters, tac and strat bombers has been reduced to two from three.
Unit build times have been increased, with the exception of the garrison which can still be deployed instantly.
OTHER CHANGES –
Research – Max labs is now 6. This is to slow research a bit due to the extra turns and also make it impossible to be good at everything. Most countries have had their starting technologies reduced.
Allied starting aggression upped a little.
Occupied industry functions at 100 per cent not 50 this is to encourage invasion of strategic points on the map by giving a benefit in production.
Industry starting bonus of 10 per cent added to UK, USA, USSR, and ITALY.
Free Rail Moves increase to 3 (This is due to the increased number of units which will be in play)