Initial Questions

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

JD Walter

Initial Questions

Post by JD Walter »

Gentlemen,

I have been playing GoA for a second day now and have developed the following list of questions, covering things which are not immediately apparent to a first-time player of the game. If anyone could answer them, I would appreciate it.

1. 1914 scenario: The CP have a single artillery unit, "1 S-L" which is unique in their opening inventory. (All other starting artllery units lack the "S" designation, being "L" only.) Does this stand for "Siege" (S) and "Light" (L)?
(Cf. pg. 30 of the rules, "Barrage").

2. Mobilization Phase (7.0 Deployment): Can you deploy corps outside your national boundaries to start (e.g., from the Metz-Epinal region to, say, Austria-Hungary), or can you only strat move them (21.0, pg. 29)?

The German "class B" Reserve Corps are not well-suited for offensive operations against the French, but they are very useful in support of Austria-Hungary against Russia and/or Serbia, being 6 pts. (25%) stronger than a standard Austro-Hungarian unit.

3. Trenches (Entrenchments, pg. 12, 18.2 Trenches pgs. 22-23, & pg. 31: Trenches are assigned by hex in the Strategic Phase.
(a) Can new units move to that hex in an impulse (or via Strat Move) and still benefit from the trench level in that turn?
(b) Do units moving out of that hex in an impulse or Strat Move affect the trench level in any way?
(c) If all units in a hex with trenches are forced to retreat out of it through combat, are all the trench points lost?
(d) Further, are they lost only if the enemy occupies the hex after your retreat?
(ie., is the entrenchment level for your side reset to zero if you happen to retake the hex in a later impulse or turn?)

4. HQ's & Offensives (21.1): In the inital impulse of an offensive, it is customary to be stacked with your HQ and advancing into a hex adjacent to it. In later impulses (or turns), however, you may be occupying a "forward hex" in front of your HQ, like so:

x x
HQ
- -

[Friendly occupied hexes marked by "x"]

If so, can the HQ continue its Offensive in a subsequent impulse and allow corps in one of the advance hexes (marked by the "x"'s) to move forward one hex further (such that they are no longer adjacent to the HQ, but two hexes away)?

Note: I haven't had occasion to do this, but I could see its utility for cavalry probes, or to throw an advance guard out to push one hex further without risking the HQ in an exposed position.

Thanks! [:)]

JD Walter

RE: Initial Questions

Post by JD Walter »

A few further questions...

5. Is there a "next" key to cycle through units?

This would be useful for Strategic Movement, or to select a specific unit in a stack, or underneath an HQ.

6. Similarly, is there a "next" key to cycle through HQ's?

7. Rivers: Do rivers affect combat (22.0) or movement?
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

1.  That's a siege artillery unit.  Austria has one too.  great at attacking fixed fortification like Liege and other fortified cities.

2. No, 1914 deployment is within your own nation.

3a) Yes
(b) No
(c) No but trenches do get destoyed by combat so they might be gone anyway.
(d) Yes

4. Yes (assuming I understood the question)

5. Sorry, no

6. Sorry again, no

7. Rivers do affect readiness as they're crossed, increasing it by one.  Also, if they are in a combat hex the same impulse they moved they have a slightly higher chance of taking casualties.  Also, if more than 50% of the forces on one side crossed a river into that combat hex the other side's trench benefit for the battle is increased for that impulse.

flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Good questions, Def Zep.

@Frank Hunter:

Thanks for taking the time for hanging out here and answering many of the questions posted here--it's definitely very much appreciated!
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Thanks greatly, Frank! Appreciate your taking the time to help us understand this amazing game! [:)]

Continuing on:

4. (Clarification by way of text example): In the game's default "SavedGames" folder, there is a file called "AutosaveMove.sgw". Loading it, in Belgium the German 1Gd corps occupies hex 13,9, one hex north of the Heeringen HQ. If Heeringen is activated for an Offensive, can 1Gd Corps move to, say, Dunkirk (hex 12,8) (presuming Dunkirk was actually enemy-occupied)?

Sorry for the textual example, but I cannot find a screen-capture function in-game. So hopefully, being a standard file on the game's CD for all installations, you can load it up and see what I'm asking about here.

2nd note: I have figured out how to do a screen capture; it now appears below in my edit of this post.

8. Rough Terrain (Forest, Mountain): Is there a defensive benefit to occupying rough terrain (i.e., the lesser stacking point hexes)?

This seems to be implied by the battle modifier given in brackets on the combat results screen (cf. 22.0, "Combat", pg. 32).

It appears to me that if so, you are (obviously) better off defending there, but if not, you are better off occupying the clear hexes so as to stack the maximum number of corps in a hex, a la AH's "1914", and forcing your opponent to attack from a lesser capacity hex, to decrease the number of corps he can bring to bear for each Offensive point.

9. In the default installation "Setups" folder, there are some very helpful files showing (apparently) initial dispositions.

Not really a question per se, but an observation; if new to the game like myself and you are wondering just how to deploy your starting forces, these files can be booted up with the "Load Setup" function and reviewed for some excellent tips on just where to setup and just what to do on the opening turns.

Attachments
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 235 times
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

This would be useful for Strategic Movement, or to select a specific unit in a stack, or underneath an HQ.

F Hunter - Sorry, no

6. Similarly, is there a "next" key to cycle through HQ's?

F Hunter - Sorry again, no

Note: However, if you left-click and select a stack, you can then right-click through each unit, moving it to the top. Very useful! [:'(]
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Floating your cursor over a stack will also display the number and composition of units on the bottom display screen, which can help avoid clicking through a stack just to see if an arty unit is hiding there.....
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

L...

I believe, means the artillery is loaded and can be fired.

Ray (alias Lava)
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Thanks, Ray, J P!

"Next Unit": What I was hoping for was a quick-key that selected each unit in turn for movement purposes. I see the unit list at the bottom, but it (alas) is informational only, and not selectable via mouse-click.

Artillery "L" designation: Great! Good to know! [:)]
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Def Zep

A few further questions...

6. Similarly, is there a "next" key to cycle through H's?

7. Rivers: Do rivers affect combat (22.0) or movement?

During your "Strategic Phase", while allocating manpower and weapons replacements, you can scroll through both your corps and HQ's. An arrow is on the bottom right IIRC.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

ojnab_bob

Post by ojnab_bob »

Since this thread seems to be the motherlode of Q&A, might as well fire off a few more:

A. How does artillery become damaged, requiring refit?  Just seems like some of my arty shows up as 3D instead of 3 after firing a few barrages...wear and tear on the guns, or perhaps that hex was attacked instead.

B. Do the seasons/weather affect combat results, favoring the defender? (winter and/or rain noise sometimes play during a turn, e.g. winter in Jan/Feb 1915).

C. My Austrian cavalry can advance into enemy hexes without an HQ activation, but my German cavalry cannot.  Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just incorrect?

Still loving the game.  Best wargame of the last decade.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Def Zep, could you post just your desktop? [;)]
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

10. 19.0-.1 Airpower: If you obtain air superiority over a front (e.g., successfully winning the air war on a contested front, or having air points present in a region where your opponent has none), is there any effect beyond that of simply having more hexes to do air reece over?
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

ojnab_bob -

C. My Austrian cavalry can advance into enemy hexes without an HQ activation, but my German cavalry cannot. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just incorrect?

Hi ojnab,

Any unit may move into friendly hexes without an HQ activation.

Also, cavalry may move into enemy-owned hexes without an HQ activation as long as it is not enemy-occupied.

What may be happening is, since there are more empty hexes in the south than on the West or (north) Russian Fronts, your Austrian cavalry has a better chance of selecting an empty hex to move into.

I am unsure what happens if a cavalry unit attempts to enter an enemy-owned, enemy-occupied hex without an HQ activation. I believe it "bounces" back to its start-hex without combat, but have not verified this.

Note: This can happen because of Fog of War. Without air reconnaisance, empty hexes are not necessarily "empty" - they are only reported as such.
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

JW -

Def Zep, could you post just your desktop?

Kristanna Loken. Terminator 2, Painkiller Jane.

Glad to help! [:'(]
Attachments
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 236 times
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

[X(]Wowzers!

Remember, the Cavalry must be stacked with an Infantry Corps in order to advance into enemy owned hexes without an Activation.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
JWW

Post by JWW »

Thanks.  [:D]
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

8. Rough Terrain (Forest, Mountain): Is there a defensive benefit to occupying rough terrain (i.e., the lesser stacking point hexes)? This seems to be implied by the battle modifier given in brackets on the combat results screen (cf. 22.0, "Combat", pg. 32).

Yes there is, in the combat display next to the word "Terrain" you'll see the modifier for terrain type.
It appears to me that if so, you are (obviously) better off defending there, but if not, you are better off occupying the clear hexes so as to stack the maximum number of corps in a hex, a la AH's "1914", and forcing your opponent to attack from a lesser capacity hex, to decrease the number of corps he can bring to bear for each Offensive point.

That would probably be more a useful way to exploit rough terrain than the combat modifier. In the Alps especially it can be very difficult to attack in force due to the terrain constraints, not the combat modifiers.

9. In the default installation "Setups" folder, there are some very helpful files showing (apparently) initial dispositions.

Not really a question per se, but an observation; if new to the game like myself and you are wondering just how to deploy your starting forces, these files can be booted up with the "Load Setup" function and reviewed for some excellent tips on just where to setup and just what to do on the opening turns.

That's what they're there for. Setup files can also be shared. Much easier than trying to explain it.

10. 19.0-.1 Airpower: If you obtain air superiority over a front (e.g., successfully winning the air war on a contested front, or having air points present in a region where your opponent has none), is there any effect beyond that of simply having more hexes to do air reece over?

No, the effect of air superiority is taken into account when computing the amount of air support. So 5 air points with air superiority should usually generate more air support than 5 air points on a still contested front.
A. How does artillery become damaged, requiring refit? Just seems like some of my arty shows up as 3D instead of 3 after firing a few barrages...wear and tear on the guns, or perhaps that hex was attacked instead.

When artillery fires into a hex containing enemy artillery it can damage that artillery and if already damaged can destroy it.
B. Do the seasons/weather affect combat results, favoring the defender? (winter and/or rain noise sometimes play during a turn, e.g. winter in Jan/Feb 1915).

No, weather's effect is on the amount of activity within a turn ie the number of impulses.
C. My Austrian cavalry can advance into enemy hexes without an HQ activation, but my German cavalry cannot. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just incorrect?

Cavalry can enter enemy hexes, except cities, without an activation but has to start stacked with an infantry unit.
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Since this post is turning into a FAQ of sorts, I will herein repeat an important Q&A on the Eastern Front between Arvinald and Frank Hunter:
Is there a requirement for the Germans to maintain certain levels of forces in the East after the Russian surrender?

The game automatically removes enough strength to use as a garrison when Russia surrenders. Based on closest to east edge of game map and lower quality first if I recall correctly.

Between 06Maestro and Frank Hunter:
BTW,at the start of this turn there was a message that Belgium had surrendered-I assume that's for good-their army is nada, no more, never to come back?

Yes, if Belgium surrendered their army won't return.

JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Well...

How about this:

Ray (alias Lava)

Attachments
Countersymbol2.jpg
Countersymbol2.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”