Siberian Reinforcements

Commander – Europe at War Gold is the first in a series of high level turn based strategy games. The first game spans WW2, allowing players to control the axis or allied forces through the entire war in the European Theatre.
targul

Siberian Reinforcements

Post by targul »

There appear to be no Siberian Reinforcements. Russia held out in 42 because of them. Without them verses a competent human play you really have very little chance of holding off the Axis hoards.
Jim

Cant we just get along.
Hell no I want to kill something!

1st Cav Div 66-69 5th Special Forces 70-73
Dave Ferguson

RE: Siberian Reinforcements

Post by Dave Ferguson »

apparently someone argued in beta that they were a myth!!!
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

The same discussion came up on the BF boards some time ago.
I believe someone quoted Zhukov saying that they had a minor impact.
Lincolns Mullet

Post by Lincolns Mullet »

Just because Zhukov didn't use them as well as we can doesn't mean we shouldn't get 'em. ;)
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

The German 45ths divisional after-action report of June 30 1941 relates:

"The division took 7000 prisioners, including 100 officers. German losses were 482 killed, including 32 officers, and over 1000 wounded."

The magnatude of these losses can be judged by the fact that the total German losses on the Eastern front up to 30th June 1941 amounted to 8886 killed. The citadel of Brest therefore accounted for over 5 percent of all fatal casualties.

Advancing through Byelorussia and the Pripyet marshes in the high summer of 1941, the marching troops and their supply columns faced enemies other than the Russians. The difficulties of the advance and the supply of forward troops during the early phases of operations in the east are related in this passage from the 45.Infanterie-division war diary concerning their advance through the Pripyet Marshes:

"It went on for four weeks, through swamp, dirt and dust,in the direction of Gomel... This was no longer an 'advance', but literally a miserable crawling through 40 to 50 cm deep sand, bottomless morass, thick woods and overgrown brush. In places long corduroy roads first had to be built to make any progress at all. The motor vehicles had inconceivable engine troubles, for the fine sand got into everything and damaged pistons and cylinders. In addition, they were much too low-slung for this terrain, their chassis often hit bottom and they could be moved only with a lot of help on both sides, often enough with a broken axle or fenders, mufflers, brake lines, etc.. torn off... The column drivers in particular did everything humanly possible to move ahead."

Still advancing, the division went on to fight south-west of Moscow, before being pushed back by the overwhelming 'winterized' Siberian reinforcements of Zhukov's December counter-offensive.

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=41

http://www.geocities.com/sonzabird/majorops.html
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
Forwarn45

Post by Forwarn45 »

I thought the production / convoys might account for the missing reinforcements (the Soviets can build them). But on the other hand, it would probably be preferable to give the Soviets some actual reinforcements in winter that have 1 or 2 experience levels at start to represent these troops. Also - I wonder if winter shouldn't even be a little harder on the Germans than is currently represented. It is still possible to do some limited advances that seem a little ahistoric.
targul

Post by targul »

ORIGINAL: Forwarn45

I thought the production / convoys might account for the missing reinforcements (the Soviets can build them). But on the other hand, it would probably be preferable to give the Soviets some actual reinforcements in winter that have 1 or 2 experience levels at start to represent these troops. Also - I wonder if winter shouldn't even be a little harder on the Germans than is currently represented. It is still possible to do some limited advances that seem a little ahistoric.

Production does not come close to accounting for them.

They were not shipped in where they were subject to loss by convoy so no again.

They are absoluetely necessary and after playing the Russian it is very obvious the Russian are extraordinarily weak in 42 with a meger at best chance of survival.

I have played thousands of wargames and never have a seen such a weaked Russia. I normally do well with the Russian Army but then all the games have equivelent forces to the war this game without the Siberian Troops is decidely weaker.

This is a game breaker for the Allies without the Russian Army at or close to there historic strength they will be beaten by every competent player in the game.

The winter does seem a little below par also. Since the movement seems to effect both the Soviet and Axis troops it is not an advantage. I know as the Russian player my motorized units were not allowed to move more then 1 hex.

I can understand this but the effectiveness of the Soviets did not seem to go up nor did the effectiveness of Axis drop. They lost a few points one round that seemed to be all. Not positive on the balance of this yet though.
Jim

Cant we just get along.

Major Victory

Post by Major Victory »

Perhaps that same beta tester believes that Russian winters are also a myth!

targul

Post by targul »

ORIGINAL: Major Victory

Perhaps that same beta tester believes that Russian winters are also a myth!

Probably I cant imagine how they missed the reinforcements but it was a real surprise for me.

There isnt a game on the market that I know of other then Making History that doesnt have those reinforcements. But then you cant count making history since it really isnt a WWII game but some fantasy idea of what 39-47 would be if every did everything different then it actually was.
Jim

Cant we just get along.

Dave Ferguson

Post by Dave Ferguson »

I wonder if there is no way in the game for adding conditional reinforcements or having units already on the production track, if so they have a problem. Historically the germans were VERY lucky in winter 41 as the russians tried to attack everywhere and never quite succeeded, so are the winter effects strong enough?

Perhaps a one time shot of additional pp might help.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

I dont think having units just show up since it happened in reality is the answer. Then you have to start doing that for all participants.When do you stop with these one off reinforcement surges? If the devs kow-tow to the "Siberia" crowd, I know full well and good I'm getting on my rickety soapbox and screaming for Anders Polish Corps to show up for the British as a reinforcement. And so on.

Maybe a one time point dump between nov and jan of the 1st winter might be an answer. I just don't know.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

I just want to know .. Since all I have done is beat up on Russia pretty good even against a HP ... 4 turns you kill wacks of stuff ... [:D]

I am not going to even begin to say what I would do .. But...
Where is Russia in Labs .. upgrades ... resources ..
What are they doing with there dough .. PP Level .. Builds ..
Ratio .. Oil Manpower .. [&:]
IDG
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Guys!

I think 1 or 2 here have fallen into the "siberian myth". It is true that the forces from Siberia was a pretty large force BUT they did not arrive all in one big HORD in 1941 and turned the tide as some here think, rather arriving division after division over an extended period of time. People tend to think that the siberians turned the tide when infact their contribution to the battle of moscow was rather small propotionally, they were spread out and ordered into various sectors of the russian front.

Zhukov himself which commanded the battle of moscow don't see their arrival as the rescue. He almost not mention it at all. The rescue was and remain the fact that russian production combined with the STAVKA holding back reserves for a counterblow, overwhelmed the exhausted germans december 5th 1941.

This is also very clear to all consistent readers of David Glantz which is undoubtedly the number one western expert on the eastern front, who worked hard on reveling the myths and misunderstandings of the eastern front.

This myth is like the one with the polish cavalry charging german tanks which were originally italian propaganda and something you can read about in schools books still today when infact this was not the case. What happened was that a polish cavalry charge on german infantry were counterattacked by panzers in a MINOR encounter and voila we got a myth!

After Richard Sorge's spyring reveiled Japan's plans to Stalin formations from various forces were sent west. This happened also earlier but on a smaller scale. Beginning in october 1941 the russians started transfering siberian and transbaikal forces which continued all into november.

Since this is not a division sized game the game works perfectly historical.
targul

Post by targul »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

I dont think having units just show up since it happened in reality is the answer. Then you have to start doing that for all participants.When do you stop with these one off reinforcement surges? If the devs kow-tow to the "Siberia" crowd, I know full well and good I'm getting on my rickety soapbox and screaming for Anders Polish Corps to show up for the British as a reinforcement. And so on.

Maybe a one time point dump between nov and jan of the 1st winter might be an answer. I just don't know.

So do you somehow believe the Soviets and African forces should be shorted because it is too easy to give reinforcements. As for the Polish, New Zealand, Aussies, South African, and Indians which where the primary forces of Africa from 40 to 42 you believe they should not arrive? As I said on this issue I do not mind if they send a single corps or infantry to account for these forces but I dont think the Allies should be forced to defend Eygpt short most of its army with absolutely no control of supply which allows unlimited Axis forces to oppose them. Remember they already dont have the air they had there you cant expect them to hold verses potentially the entire Axis army without even having what they had in the war.

Soviet Union Siberian Transfer was critical. Not sure why someone would deny the equivelent of 2 corps of armor and 4 of infantry with a hoard of artillery. These forces where the forces used in 42 to defend the Soviet Union.

I recommend you do get on you soapbox and demand the forces not be eliminated from there historical placement. I would fight just as hard for the Axis if they where missing armies.

You cant have balance if you do not provide historical forces. You cant hold Russia without what they had in the real war they barely survived now you want them to do it with significant less and it wont happen verses a comptetent player.

AI is not even near as important as correctly balancing the game so it is fun and playable for both sides. Human vs Human play will be impossible without this correction.

Jim

Cant we just get along.

Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Mr Targul. Read my message again.

You are speaking about numbers that did not arrive as you want them too. If Russia can't be held well thats another issue that needs to be fixed.

But wanting a hord arrive with juicy stuff is simply wrong. Do you want the designers to get them in division by the division!!!! [X(]
targul

Post by targul »

ORIGINAL: Sweeper

Guys!

I think 1 or 2 here have fallen into the "siberian myth". It is true that the forces from Siberia was a pretty large force BUT they did not arrive all in one big HORD in 1941 and turned the tide as some here think, rather arriving division after division over an extended period of time. People tend to think that the siberians turned the tide when infact their contribution to the battle of moscow was rather small propotionally, they were spread out and ordered into various sectors of the russian front.

Zhukov himself which commanded the battle of moscow don't see their arrival as the rescue. He almost not mention it at all. The rescue was and remain the fact that russian production combined with the STAVKA holding back reserves for a counterblow, overwhelmed the exhausted germans december 5th 1941.

This is also very clear to all consistent readers of David Glantz which is undoubtedly the number one western expert on the eastern front, who worked hard on reveling the myths and misunderstandings of the eastern front.

This myth is like the one with the polish cavalry charging german tanks which were originally italian propaganda and something you can read about in schools books still today when infact this was not the case. What happened was that a polish cavalry charge on german infantry were counterattacked by panzers in a MINOR encounter and voila we got a myth!

After Richard Sorge's spyring reveiled Japan's plans to Stalin formations from various forces were sent west. This happened also earlier but on a smaller scale. Beginning in october 1941 the russians started transfering siberian and transbaikal forces which continued all into november.

Since this is not a division sized game the game works perfectly historical.

The Siberian Transfer is not a myth. Those forces where much larger then a division. They where larger then a corps. There where 50,000 infantry combat veterans, 1000 T34 new tanks with there support troops and 1000 fresh air with men transferred from Siberia again with there support. It was specifically these forces winter trained that attacked at Moscow and broke the siege in 41. Do you believe that 1000 tanks is not equivelent to at least a corps of armor? Do you think 1000 aircraft is less then a corps of fighters or bombers? How about 50000 troops is that merly a division? This was a deciding factor at Moscow according to Zurkof and these and more forces where used to defend throughout 42.

No these men and equipment where not myths but real men who fought in some of the most horrendous battles of the war.

Jim

Cant we just get along.

IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Probably best If I don't say anything at all ... [&o]
IDG[8|]
Ancient One

Post by Ancient One »

ORIGINAL: targul
So do you somehow believe the Soviets and African forces should be shorted because it is too easy to give reinforcements. As for the Polish, New Zealand, Aussies, South African, and Indians which where the primary forces of Africa from 40 to 42 you believe they should not arrive?
This should be, and already is accounted for with the production that the British get.
Remember they already dont have the air they had there you cant expect them to hold verses potentially the entire Axis army without even having what they had in the war.
The Italians don't get the air they had there either.
Soviet Union Siberian Transfer was critical. Not sure why someone would deny the equivelent of 2 corps of armor and 4 of infantry with a hoard of artillery. These forces where the forces used in 42 to defend the Soviet Union.
I think the point is not that they didn't exist, but rather that their arrival was much more gradual than is widely believed, and can be woven into the existing production system.
You cant have balance if you do not provide historical forces. You cant hold Russia without what they had in the real war they barely survived now you want them to do it with significant less and it wont happen verses a comptetent player.
I don't think Russia is as weak in the game as you do. For one thing I've noticed that the Axis advance is slower than in real history.
targul

Post by targul »

ORIGINAL: Zagys
ORIGINAL: targul
So do you somehow believe the Soviets and African forces should be shorted because it is too easy to give reinforcements. As for the Polish, New Zealand, Aussies, South African, and Indians which where the primary forces of Africa from 40 to 42 you believe they should not arrive?

This should be, and already is accounted for with the production that the British get.

If it is then why are there no increases as each of the divisons arrived. Do you think those units where sent to England and then redeployed to Africa. No they were reinforcements from the varying countries and should not be subject to axis uboats trying to deploy them where they historically where.
Remember they already dont have the air they had there you cant expect them to hold verses potentially the entire Axis army without even having what they had in the war.

The Italians don't get the air they had there either. This maybe true since they should definitely have a tactical bomber squadron so they should give them one at start.

I think the point is not that they didn't exist, but rather that their arrival was much more gradual than is widely believed, and can be woven into the existing production system.

I didnt say they all had to arrive at once but they should arrive. And no the present system does not give them points for those armies in Siberia you only get the points from the cities on the map. So if we get the points which would still be wrong where do they come from. Dont tell me by convoy because that is subject to interdiction which the Siberian transfer was not.
I don't think Russia is as weak in the game as you do. For one thing I've noticed that the Axis advance is slower than in real history.

I dont know who you play but I am playing 6 games at a time and the advance is very historical in all of them. The problem appears in 42 not 41. Uhm, might be the result of a lack of 1000 tanks 1000 air and all the infantry and artillery from Sibera.

If you feel the Allies already have all they need and it will play out historically. I invite you to play me. I will play the Axis a force I do not normally play and show you the weaknesses. If you win I will agree with you. If you lose then you need to agree with me. Sounds fair to me.
Jim

Cant we just get along.

Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Hi guys:)

A couple of points:

1) The good news is that the weather effects on the Axis in the USSR can be modded very easily.

2) According to Alan Clark, the noted historian, in his classic book, Barbarossa (1995), he states on page 170:

"The transfer of troops from the Far East had begun in earnest in the first days of November, and by the time that the German offensive got under way again Zhukov had more than doubled his strength....

"The total brought from the Far East in the winter of 1941 included seventeen hundred tanks and fifteen hundred aircraft, which was made up" of 17 infantry/cavalry divisions and 8 tank brigades.

The Germans were stopped cold in early December just 30 km from Moscow, and then were driven back a further 200 km. Had the Germans not heeded Hitler's order to stand and fight, the retreat most likely would have turned into a rout.
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....

Return to “Commander - Europe at War Gold”