It's Official - I am coming out of semi-retirement

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

puresimmer

It's Official - I am coming out of semi-retirement

Post by puresimmer »

OK after careful consideration and some discussions with my family I have decided to actively pursue PureSim commercial development again. I have officially flunked retirement :)

It was nice to slow down and the break certainly helped me recharge my batteries, but I really started to miss working on the game regularly. Of course I have been doing some work on the "PureSim Community Edition" since "retiring", but there were no real plans to move the series forward and do any new commercial releases. My family and I are comfortable that as long as I don't go back to being totally obsessed, then this can work out. I know they'll keep me honest.

I have to say, recently (this week), I really dove back into the code and it dawned on me that this game really does still have a bright future. I found myself having a LOT of fun again, something that was not the case in January when I walked away. Some of the work I did with Gary on Total Pro Golf 2 was a great boost too. This is just in my blood.

I still want to talk to Matrix about whether they'll be interested in publishing the next commercial version of PureSim, but regardless I will be releasing a new version of the game. One possibility is to clean up the CE releases, polish up some things, do some more feature work and release a reasonably priced ($19.99?), fully supported, PureSim 2007 Expansion pack this summer. Another option is to get a little more aggressive with new features and release PureSim 2008 next spring. I also intend to continue to support the open access to PureSim's database, addins, and the PureSim SDK. My dream is to get a really cool developer ecosystem to sprout up around the game. Maybe a bit of a lofty goal given the niche genre, but people have already built some pretty cool add-ins to date!

One thing I have been giving a LOT of thought to is that I need to get better at charging for new features. I look back over all the free updates I do...I add hundreds of features in patches, then wonder why I don't have enough "new" features to warrant a release when spring rolls around [:)] The flip side is I really like to work that way, the game stays very stable and improves incementally. The only other option here would be to charge some sort of annual subscription fee and release constant micro updates (I played with this idea in the past).

I'd LOVE to get your feedback on what approach you think would be ideal. A big new PureSim 2008 next year, or an expansion pack this summer, or a shift to an annual subscription model (not sure how that would work yet -- maybe some sort of page you can access for one year that has all the year's free updates?)

Maybe it's the Red Sox great season, maybe it's in my blood, regardless it feels great to be back! I missed it.

I feel great about this decision.

P.S. I just re-read my post and it sounds a bit dramatic, apologies for that, I know I'm not solving world hunger here :)

Shaun
Developer, PureSim Baseball
rjolley

RE: It's Official - I am coming out of semi-retirement

Post by rjolley »

Glad to hear you're back, Shaun.

I think the yearly subsription works well. It's like buying a new version every year, like with the other sports games, but we'll get new features throughout the year, like you've always done. Sounds like a good mixture of both worlds to me.
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

I too am heavily in favor with the "subscription" option. How it would work out technically, I'm not quite sure either-- however, it would effectively create the type of sports game I have always wanted. Buying Game-X 2007, with a small subscription fee to get the 2008 version, then another small fee for 2009, etc. THIS is how any sports game should run. It should never be released as a 2005 model and then there's no support after that, no growth, no continuation. I think that you've put together a wonderful game that really only needs some love and attention...

I would hope too that even if you don't reply and post in every thread, you have at least seen the level of appreciation and admiration for the game (in general) and its associations and the players (authentic and fictional) it has spawned, and the true (dare I say...) love that faithful Puresimmians have for it.

As far as you and retirement are concerned, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to hear of this, but in reading how good it felt to take some time off and focus on family, I think that you should fall into a semi-retirement state for a few months out of the year-- let the game run, let things settle, let little issues pop up and little glitches arise, so that when you return again, BAM: instant tasks and goals. There's no reason you can't do both! ...and anyone on the boards that cannot understand that should seek professional help from men in white coats.

Before I read this post, I never envisioned hearing/reading myself saying that Puresim was a great game... and now that you've "come home", I KNOW for a fact that these words will never exit my mouth... or my fingers... but then... when it's through my fingers... that's not exactly 'exiting'.... I mean... that would be painful, no? ... words.... exiting your fingers.... ouch.

Sorry.

Ran off on a tangent.

Anyway.... to make a long story short (too late).

WELCOME BACK SHAUN!   We're all one big happy family again!

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

I suppose I'm still around too. I guess I like the idea of a subscription.
dneely

Post by dneely »

Shaun:

I "think" I like the Subscription idea! I really need more details...

As one who has always supported this game I AM THRILLED THAT YOU ARE BACK ![&o]and I agree with Frozen Stiffer that you need to set up your calendar so that you have some breaks from the development built in as best you can. Any of us can over-do and get burned out on a project or a hobby, we all understand that! but this community, YOUR game, and those of us who have faithfully supported you over the years want you to stay with it. I have said often that PureSim is SO CLOSE to being the best and most fun to play baseball sim on the market. With your continued work and further community improvements that goal is not far off.

Lots of words but bottom line, Welcome Back! we missed you.
DNeely

PureSim Vet
DaddyO

Post by DaddyO »

The subscription idea is great if it's $20 or so, as long as your base feels they are getting value every year in the updates. That doesn't seem to be an issue at this point.
SirWolf1960

Post by SirWolf1960 »

Shaun, glad to hear you are back. I will agree with the others who posted already that I favor the subscription model. I love the little updates throughout the year. I also give a big Amen to the idea of you taking occasional breaks to enjoy your family.

Here's to a Sox-Mets World Series,
Steve
motnahp

Post by motnahp »

Consider this another vote for subscription. Twenty bucks once or twice a year is still a great value. You always deliver a lot of bang for the buck.

One thing that has really impressed me is that when you've added new features, you've made them optional via check boxes. This is brilliant and should be continued. I'll have my credit card handy. Welcome back!
"Better to sleep with old hen than pullet" - Redd Foxx
33sherman

Post by 33sherman »

This is GREAT news!

[&o]
VanScoy

Post by VanScoy »

I am in... $20 sounds reasonable for another year of gaming goodness. Glad to see you back. 
LetsPlay2

Post by LetsPlay2 »

I am in as well !

Glad your back !
LP2

johneh

Post by johneh »

The only surprise it that your retirement lasted as long as it did. [:)]
Welcome back, but still always make time for your family[:-]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Welcome back, Shaun! I'd be for a yearly subscription, and/or a one-time lifetime subscription. CE was close to that already, without the additional fees. What do you guys think of the "lifetime" option (price to be determined)? I bring this up for the sake of the guys (like yours truly) who've already bought the game in two previous incarnations. If that's not a viable option, then $20 a year would be fine.

As Frozen Stiffer has mentioned, there are many fans of the game who really do love it. Heck, for me, it has become an addiction (not meant in a negative way), so to get my "fix", paying a yearly fee for updates seems reasonable.
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

YES!!!!

Now if the Padres can hang on and beat the Red Sox the day will be perfect!  [:)]
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
rjolley

Post by rjolley »

A lifetime subscription would be kool. I'd seriously consider it.
DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

OK. Thats great news Shaun.

To every one else I don't want to be a wet blanket but, "actively pursue PureSim commercial development again" to me means Shaun should make money for his hard work. What ever price he thinks fair is ok with me. Not to say I take wheel borrow of money to the bank. I pinch pennies like every one else. I just want to see the game continue and be a money maker for Shaun.

Shaun, don't spend so much time on the game that it hurts family time. Work on next years game, say January to March, then release it. Fix bugs as they come up. But other than that spend time with your family. Then next year start the new game/revision. I know you like to adjust and update. I love getting new updates. But I don't want you to get burn out or for your family to feel left out.

We miss you when you are not around. But do what is best for you.

Don
Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
redsoxfan99

Post by redsoxfan99 »

I will add my voice to the subscription basis - seems fairer to Shaun as he develops things over the course of the year and also better for users to be able to keep up to date.

John
UK
mking55

Post by mking55 »

A minor dilema for you.

I'm glad you are going to try to continue to develop this fine game and balance the important things in your life at the same time. I wish you the best luck.

For this year I would recommend the 2007 Expansion pack if it's doable by mid-August. You could pick up new customers and keep the interest of the old ones.

The subscription option is best for you. You have a difficult time in holding things back for a new release so you do deliver many new features in patches. Of course you always have to patch because of the small things that are found by your customer base, but you do "give a lot away for free". I don't think anyone here begrudges you making a buck or two off your hard work and good product. The subscribtion lets you work as you've always worked (adding new features as you felt), but getting some payment in exchange for them.

I'd start with an all-new big 2008 release (if you can) and then go to the subscription model.
Good luck whichevery way you decide. I am sure your many dedicated fans will support whichever way you choose.
33sherman

Post by 33sherman »

I like the subscription idea...I would definitely spring for the $20 expansion pack this summer if it would help get the ball rolling.
Bigdummie

Post by Bigdummie »

Count me in, a subscription option or an upgrade charge, it works for me. Good news, like the added features you contributed for TPG2. Thanks

Return to “PureSim Baseball”