Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

looking to buy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> looking to buy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
looking to buy - 6/17/2007 7:27:37 AM   
grahnar

I am looking to buy this game but I do not want to be disaponted by another unhistorical game. I am a civil war buff who is very active in teaching about the civil war and love Strategy games. can i get some feed back about the game.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 8:03:37 AM   
Gil R.

Did you see the thread called "Digging around for a new game"? It was started by someone in the same situation.

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 2
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 8:04:10 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Lot of information in all the threads in this forum, it would be redundant to repeat it all here. Just read thru some of the similar threads and form your own opinion. Main thing I can say about this game is it has the best support of any game I've ever purchased.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 3
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 8:06:39 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Did you see the thread called "Digging around for a new game"? It was started by someone in the same situation.

edit: Beat by 33 sec. You're as quick as Rasmus? Do you use one finger or two?

grahnar:

Digging around for a new game: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1484660

See what I mean by support? Gil is one of the WCS team!

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/17/2007 8:10:17 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 8:09:47 AM   
Gil R.

Well, I smelled a buck -- that's why I was so fast.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 6/17/2007 8:30:31 AM >

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 5
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 8:12:53 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

Well, I smelled a buck -- that's why I as so fast.

Ah, the greed factor...

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 10:13:48 AM   
freeboy

This is not a simulation with a cray factoring in all parametors.. what it is simply a fine game, lots of grognardness, not a word but who cares. I am impressed with the level of intricacy in the ecomomic and development model and the awesome ai in detailed combat. Will you like it? that depends a great deal on your expectation and what you like. If you want simple do not get this and perhaps look at AGEOD game on the period, a highly recomended and reviewed game. I think this game is a true winner due to the combination of ecomomic and military growth as wwell as the afformetioned detailed combat model and kick ass ai. my 05 cents worth.

Post #: 7
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 9:04:42 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for the kind words, freeboy.

Does anyone who's played FOF for a while now, who's had a chance to try the various game difficulties, enjoy playing the Basic rules in preference to the other levels?  The Basic rules are fairly free of complexity and we'd rather hoped that some players who wanted a simpler, quicker game might enjoy playing on that level.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 9:56:11 PM   
Grey Hunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Does anyone who's played FOF for a while now, who's had a chance to try the various game difficulties, enjoy playing the Basic rules in preference to the other levels? The Basic rules are fairly free of complexity and we'd rather hoped that some players who wanted a simpler, quicker game might enjoy playing on that level.

this game comes with basic rules?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: looking to buy - 6/17/2007 10:14:56 PM   
Drex

Once you taste the delights of the higher levels you can never go back.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Grey Hunter)
Post #: 10
RE: looking to buy - 6/18/2007 4:07:54 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

quote:

Does anyone who's played FOF for a while now, who's had a chance to try the various game difficulties, enjoy playing the Basic rules in preference to the other levels? The Basic rules are fairly free of complexity and we'd rather hoped that some players who wanted a simpler, quicker game might enjoy playing on that level.

this game comes with basic rules?

If you haven't noticed, the first 111 pages of the manual are the basic rules, after that comes the intermediate rules and then the advanced rules. I am hoping for a rewrite of the manual incorporating all the changes since the updates.

(in reply to Grey Hunter)
Post #: 11
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 7:21:53 AM   
grahnar

ok I broke down and bought the game with the digital down load and having the hard copy mailed to my. My question is I cant open the manual. Id there somthing I missed or does it come with the hard copry of the game. I tried finding a post but could not.

Thanks

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 12
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 7:28:33 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: grahnar

ok I broke down and bought the game with the digital down load and having the hard copy mailed to my. My question is I cant open the manual. Id there somthing I missed or does it come with the hard copry of the game. I tried finding a post but could not.

Thanks

Do you have adobe acrobat to open pdf files?

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 13
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 7:38:56 AM   
grahnar

yes I do but it seems the button to open it will not click. its like the link is not connected

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 14
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:13:44 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Try using Windows Explore to go directly to one of the .PDF manuals and double click on one of them. If that doesn't work, you may have a problem with your Adobe Acrobat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/18/2007 8:14:23 AM >

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 15
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:17:30 AM   
Gil R.

That's odd. Not being one of the tech experts, I can't help with the malfunctioning button, but I can suggest going into the FOF folder in Windows explorer and finding the PDF file inside the "Manuals" subfolder. There will be a file called "FOF-Appendix-[Ebook].pdf" and another called "FOF-Manual-[Ebook].pdf" -- that's all you need.

(in reply to grahnar)
Post #: 16
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:18:44 AM   
Gil R.

Gray_Lensman was even more helpful. That'll teach me to respond to questions...

grahnar, good to see you broke down. I hope you enjoy FOF.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:26:49 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Also, you might have to update your Adobe Acrobat Reader to a newer version. (though I doubt that is the problem, because I think an older version would have given you an error message). Anyhow, I'm using Adobe Reader v7.07, and it works, but Adobe Reader v8.1 is the latest

see: www.adobe.com

edit: Gil, ever since you guys showed me how to do screen prints and uploads, I am always looking for a chance to show off. Besides a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/18/2007 8:28:40 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:31:17 AM   
Gil R.

You show off, I'm getting some sleep. (I need to be up bright and early, since in the morning I'm driving a few miles down the road from the hotel I'm sitting in, and visiting Gettysburg.)

Post #: 19
RE: Manual - 6/18/2007 8:36:32 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Oh, nice... I was stationed at Bainbridge, Maryland back in 1973 and never got the time to visit Gettysburg . I'm on vacation myself at the moment, but not going anywhere. Instead kids/grandkiddies are coming here on weekends. So I got all week to show off. Enjoy your sightseeing...

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 20
RE: looking to buy - 6/18/2007 8:41:15 AM   
ChuckK

quote:

Does anyone who's played FOF for a while now, who's had a chance to try the various game difficulties, enjoy playing the Basic rules in preference to the other levels?  The Basic rules are fairly free of complexity and we'd rather hoped that some players who wanted a simpler, quicker game might enjoy playing on that level.

In my non-PBEM games against the AI I rather like the intermediate game + Generals. It makes for a fun, uncluttered, but still engrossing experience (I just don't give a hoot about handing out rifles or winter bivouacing).

< Message edited by ChuckK -- 6/18/2007 8:46:05 AM >

Saratoga CV-3
One of 3 U.S. pre-war carriers to survive WWII
Awarded 7 battle stars
Torpedoed on two separate occasions
Hit by 6 bombs, holed twice, on 2-17-45
Sunk at Bikini Atoll, '46, after enduring 2nd A-Bomb test
She was a tough Lady!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 21
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 1:15:49 AM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

Oh, nice... I was stationed at Bainbridge, Maryland back in 1973 and never got the time to visit Gettysburg . I'm on vacation myself at the moment, but not going anywhere. Instead kids/grandkiddies are coming here on weekends. So I got all week to show off. Enjoy your sightseeing...

"Gray Lensman" -- That's an intriguing handle, so I just have to ask, what is that? Is it a military term or what?

Post #: 22
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 1:28:43 AM   
Drex

Mature photographer?

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 23
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 2:00:02 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

quote:

"Gray Lensman" -- That's an intriguing handle, so I just have to ask, what is that? Is it a military term or what?

okay details: OT

Before getting into board gaming, which was way before computers came out, I was an avid reader of Science Fiction, especially Series and Trilogys (sp?) such as "The Foundation Trilogy" by Isaac Asimov and especially the "Lensman Series" by E.E. "Doc" Smith.

The main character in the first few books of the "Lensman" series was called "The Gray Lensman", in fact one of the books was titled "Gray Lensman". Also, ironically, as I've gotten older, I am much grayer and have to wear reading glasses (lenses).

edit: The avatar is a joke to some work buddies of mine that on occasion happen to visit Matrix and the Wargamer forums. We had this supervisor who tried to go into descriptive details of each of us respective workers' characteristics by describing them with a single word. His reference to me was "The Brain" which of course elicited extreme laughter from the entire work group, so when I saw the Avatar, I just had to use it.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/19/2007 2:23:26 AM >

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 24
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 2:40:15 AM   
General Quarters

Thanks, Gray, that's interesting. It would be a great trivia question.

I wish someone had ever called me The Brain! I wouldn't care who laughed.

Post #: 25
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 2:53:41 AM   
ChuckK

quote:

quote:

quote:

Before getting into board gaming, which was way before computers came out, I was an avid reader of Science Fiction, especially Series and Trilogys (sp?) such as "The Foundation Trilogy" by Isaac Asimov and especially the "Lensman Series" by E.E. "Doc" Smith.

The main character in the first few books of the "Lensman" series was called "The Gray Lensman", in fact one of the books was titled "Gray Lensman". Also, ironically, as I've gotten older, I am much grayer and have to wear reading glasses (lenses).

edit: The avatar is a joke to some work buddies of mine that on occasion happen to visit Matrix and the Wargamer forums. We had this supervisor who tried to go into descriptive details of each of us respective workers' characteristics by describing them with a single word. His reference to me was "The Brain" which of course elicited extreme laughter from the entire work group, so when I saw the Avatar, I just had to use it.

Perry Rhodan anyone? (He askes as he adds to the topic drift)

Saratoga CV-3
One of 3 U.S. pre-war carriers to survive WWII
Awarded 7 battle stars
Torpedoed on two separate occasions
Hit by 6 bombs, holed twice, on 2-17-45
Sunk at Bikini Atoll, '46, after enduring 2nd A-Bomb test
She was a tough Lady!

Post #: 26
RE: Manual - 6/19/2007 9:21:03 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you like Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, why don't you call yourself "The Mule"?

Post #: 27
RE: Manual - 6/20/2007 3:32:25 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

If you like Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, why don't you call yourself "The Mule"?

Great, Cool. I might have to seriously consider it, if I ever have to reestablish identity. Probably be taken though, especially now that it is posted. You know there are actually 6 books to that so-called "Trilogy" now. Great Reading. Always wished they had made them into movies like "Star Wars".

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 28
RE: Manual - 6/20/2007 4:38:57 AM   
Khornish

quote:

quote:

Great, Cool. I might have to seriously consider it, if I ever have to reestablish identity. Probably be taken though, especially now that it is posted. You know there are actually 6 books to that so-called "Trilogy" now. Great Reading. Always wished they had made them into movies like "Star Wars".

Sadly, there are people who probably have no idea about the Lensmen series and you explaining your name to them is their first exposure to it.

....I guess I am getting old.

Post #: 29
RE: Manual - 6/20/2007 6:38:06 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Even worse their out of print.  My books are so old (like me) they're falling apart.

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> looking to buy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI