Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Demo?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Demo? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Demo? - 6/11/2007 6:13:19 PM   
Son_of_Montfort

I know, I know... someone always has to start this thread. Actually, I do so because, over at the Slitherine forum, people have been dropping hints at an upcoming Demo for Comm: EaW. Is this likely? While the demo be hosted over here at Matrix, or will it only show up at the Slitherine site?

Best,
SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Post #: 1
RE: Demo? - 6/12/2007 1:00:31 PM   
Ursa MAior

Yep I'd like to see one too. I like the idea, the look, and I have high hopes, but I am a grognard enough, to expect more than infantry armour and tac bomber as a designation of units. If possible I'd like see 8th AF, Kriegsmarine, and 1st Shock Army instead of aninomous interchangable generic units.

Are the units named or is it something I have failed to find on the screenshots?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Son_of_Montfort)
Post #: 2
RE: Demo? - 6/12/2007 1:03:03 PM   
Iain McNeil

Naming of units was on the wish list but did not make it in to the initial release. If there is high demand we'll revisit the idea!

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 3
RE: Demo? - 6/12/2007 1:15:39 PM   
Ursa MAior

THX for the quick answer. There are no masses behind me ;), but for me it is important. Even in HoI2 or star wars supremacy I named every single unit I could. I hate micromanagement the reason I dont play HoI and Witp anymore, and the apparent lack of it is mainly the reason I am intersted in your game, but it is too abstract to say  -for me at least- I attack with 3 armies/infantry corps (kinda RISK), instead I attack with 1st Shock Army, the 62nd and the 65th armies. So if possible I'd like to see names randomly generated or changeable names if possible.

THX in advance.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 4
RE: Demo? - 6/12/2007 5:56:28 PM   
Syagrius

Me too I have asked for units naming several months ago on the Slith forum.  It gives more flavor to the game. I loved to name my Panzer Div in Panzer General as "21st Panzer Div" or "Hermann Georing Panzer Div" etc...

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 5
RE: Demo? - 6/12/2007 8:15:32 PM   
TPM

I totally agree...takes away that "Risk" flavor...also, it's better for AAR; you can describe things better...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Syagrius

Me too I have asked for units naming several months ago on the Slith forum.  It gives more flavor to the game. I loved to name my Panzer Div in Panzer General as "21st Panzer Div" or "Hermann Georing Panzer Div" etc...

(in reply to Syagrius)
Post #: 6
RE: Demo? - 6/13/2007 1:53:14 AM   
lancerunolfsson

I don't care at all if thuits have names or not. Very ocasionaly, like maybe once a year, if I am playing a game that has a name feature. I will change the name of a unit if it does somthing spectacularly good or bad.

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 7
RE: Demo? - 6/13/2007 4:33:04 PM   
IrishGuards

Well, from the looks of the game, and units especially. I mean the intrinsic effectiveness that units obviously have ... all those pretty pictures below w .. anchors .. air .. guns .. health ... hopefully this means or could mean ... as flexability applies to units built that are stronger than others ... maybe before or after upgrades ... maybe a patch down the road to hopefully allow a variable start ..
ie: random force pool picks so you dont get all the elite units ... adds flavor .. different start every game ... optional rules .. halving the complement of tanks to armor div's .. basically doubling german tank div's after 1940 .. maybe even reduced prod costs as in WiE .. variable start as in WiF ..
I would think this means if there is any fog o war ... as any respectable game has .. and needs to balance for playability reasons ...
I do not want the swine .. oops I mean my very good friend whom I am literally trying to kick the crap out of ... and will of course .. knowin where my best units are ... !!
How many turns engaged .. Gee he says I haven't seen that 2nd SS Pzr in 2 turns ... I wonder if he has upgraded to King Tigers ... lol
Or as someone aptly put it once .. who only really built the pointy units in his force pools ... he always built the Herman Goring Flying Circus ...
He made a small little, uncomplicated game called WiF ... Has something to do with ADG ..!!
Why if the starting forces as in SC .. when you spot a BB on board .. you know exactly where it came from ..
Gee .. When those Italian Heavy Bomber floatplanes spot that cruiser that started in seuz is now prowling around malta ... hmm maybe I better go look w the Italian fleet ... Wow .. now time to strat Manstein and 5 bmrs to sicily and blow away the Uk Med Fleet .......
Way to Third Reich for me ... or SC for that matter ..
From what I have seen of screenshots all I want the guy to see is inf .. arm .. Air .. HQ .. just the basics ... adds realism from the guy who is like ... I need 3 more factors in that attack to get a 3 - 1 ratio ... then your opponent starts bringing air units out of the museum to dive bomb ya ..
IDG

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 8
RE: Demo? - 6/13/2007 10:32:29 PM   
SeaMonkey

I have to add that naming units in a game, like I do in SC2, actually serves a purpose of quick recognition which facilitates gameplay.

When a certain units gain accolades of experience I find my unique tag helps me to find them quicker even though the experience icons are apparent.

The names just seem to be my focus, but that of course is a singular perspective, possibly rare for others.

(in reply to IrishGuards)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Demo? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI