First off, I just purchased the game and love it. There are some ideas about how to improve the flexibility of game. Of course, like everyone, I have a few ideas I would like to share:
1. Managers - should have various ratings, a win-loss stat, should age-decline, etc. and some could be former players. I would like to have the ability to hire/fire managers, especially because they might help alter the game AI a little in the way that each one manages a team.
2. Finances - If I want to play from 1876 and sim to 1970, there should be a way to equate financing ($500 in 1905 should be like $100,000 in 1965). There should be a way to have finances without free agency (thus how the reserve clause was developed, etc), then later in the same association, turn free agency on.
3. Weights - There should be a weighted system in which each decade's overall stats can be held as a guideline for that decade's production of players... For each decade, there could be basic fields where I insert the overall team batting average, the homeruns, era, etc.
4. Injuries - Some injuries should be lifelong. For instance, a rotator cuff injury should not be fully healable (unless you are Roger Clemens and have growth hormone!). Instead, some injuries should hamper overall production of a player season after season.
5. Contraction - I would like to be able to contract teams and have the players redispursed in a draft if the team is absolutely horrible.
6. Scheduling - Upon expansion/contraction, I would like to be able to pick again whether I want to play 140, 154, or 162 games in a season.
7. Relocation - I would like the team to be able to move to another market without losing the history of the team (thus perhaps the mascot, city changes, but the history in the almanac remembers when it was the old team as well as the new one).
8. Hall of Fame selection - I would like to be the one to choose whether a person is inducted in the HOF, not the computer.
9. All-Star Games - These are a recent invention in baseball. I would like to have the option whether or not have them, or when to start them.
10. Post season Records - I would like to have a section in the HTML almanac for post season records, top 20 stats, etc.