CLGA volume 2

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
FrankHunter

CLGA volume 2

Post by FrankHunter »

Just wanted to post a note to say that the second game in this series will start playtesting in roughly 6 weeks.

Whereas Danube had several scenarios it was essentially 2 campaigns (1805 and 1809). Volume 2 is 5 campaigns with a couple of scenarios per campaign. The campaigns are 1806, Winter 1807, Summer 1807, Spring 1813 and Autumn 1813.

The biggest change from volume 1 is the battle system. More info to follow on that later.

I apologize for the long wait between volume 1 and 2!
MilRevKo

RE: CLGA volume 2

Post by MilRevKo »

I have had the game for a few years and played it through close to ten times.  Let me know it you need a playtester.

Sincerely,
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
argaur

Post by argaur »

great news! superb!
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Will volume 2 have the option to reinput figures from a Minitures battle results?
And if so I have a few thoughts about making it a more than 2 player Campaign system, as a 2 players system even though it can involve more than 2 in a battle 1 player per Corps for example, the other players dont get any sense of involvement in the Campaign System, at least that option is not available in COTD now.
I have run COTD several times using a Popular software for resolving battles, but as far as trying to involve more than 2 people, in a great campaign system as this, is very difficult at the moment, I would think that if we had the option of involving more players, it would entertain more people, say to at least 4, to 6 and at the utmost one player per corps.
Would like to assist in testing with you.
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

The problem is that the game puts you in the role of Army commander, not a corps commander.  It would require a different game system to put the player in the role of corps commander.  Because as you've pointed out the current system is two-player.

Such a multi-player game of player controleld corps commanders though would probably be good for online play.
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Yes online play through PBEM
Or better still TCP/IP
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

The problem is that the game puts you in the role of Army commander, not a corps commander.  It would require a different game system to put the player in the role of corps commander.  Because as you've pointed out the current system is two-player.

Such a multi-player game of player controleld corps commanders though would probably be good for online play.
And as far as inputting data form a minitures battle? you didnt mention that
mpa541

Post by mpa541 »

Congrats on Version 2. Our group loves COTD. We have used it for miniature battles a number of times. Can I suggest that the outputting of OB's and scenario data to an extranal file that can be printed and used for the miniatures game...present system involves lots of scribbling notes down off the screen.

Again if you want any help with PT, especially minaitures input and output we are your guys.

Mike
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

The miniatures system I wasn't sure about including.  I probably will end up leaving it in if I can (there have been some changes which might impact it) and if I do I will switch to a text file that can be printed out.

mpa541

Post by mpa541 »

Hi Frank,

I think the miniatures system is a really big plus for this game. Its the main reason why I purchased the first version, and I'm always after more of the same. basically if someone puts a miniatures system into a wwargame campaign engine I'll buy it (and use it)...campaigns are such a great way to generate table top battles...but can be such a drag to administer...computer games such as COTD solve this problem for us....Please don't drop it from version 2!

Mike
dwinston

Post by dwinston »

Frank - any changes from volume 1?
1NWCG

Post by 1NWCG »

Congrats! I do hope some of the install issues are worked out in this one...I love it otherwise.
Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives
LaFey

Post by LaFey »

I receive these news with mixed emotions - I only wish the game is properly tested before release this time around. I personally won't buy it as soon as it is released like I did last time - I'll wait for some feedback from other customers.

Otherwise - great news. [:)]
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Hi, I doubt testing will be a problem this time around.  I'm certainly not in any rush to release it.

Miniatures, can't promise that module will be in version 2.  I can definitely say it won't be in in its present form.  It has to be made better or dumped.  It was in the first game more as an unsupported add-on.  Sort of a "if this works, its a bonus".  If I include it again it has to work better.

There are changes from version 1.  The big one being the battle system.  I'll detail that later but suffice to say that area has been completely redone.
mpa541

Post by mpa541 »

Hi Frank,

please try for the miniatures system...assuming its dosen't cause crashes even the version 1 system is better than no system...in the end players who don't want the feature will never click the option and those that do will put up with an average interface because its the feature they are after not the beautiful interface.

anyway thats my 2c on the topic.

keep up the good work,

Mike
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

I'm just glad to hear someone actually uses it.  I had toyed with the idea of auto-converting the data directly to popular rule systems such as Grande Armee, Volley & Bayonet, Polemos etc but ened up leaving that to the players.
mpa541

Post by mpa541 »

I don't think that a conversion system is needed, people will generally scale their battles anyway based on the miniatures they have avaliable. I think the main things need to be troop numbers, relative quality (any old scale will do), campaign factors such as low supply/fatigue etc. Its up to the players what they do with this information...as long as all the players concerned are happy it makes no difference if the information is used or not. I really like the way the COTD(V1) gives arrival times for supporting formations...this is a really great feature and often causes head aches for setup games.

The only other information I would like is some terrain details...but again this is not super significant, V1 system is fine.

As I mention before, a text file, or even and xml sheet that the info can be printed from/updated would be great.

regards,

mike
Lascaris

Post by Lascaris »

I'd like to add another vote for including the miniatures combat option in the future game. It was one of the major selling points for buying CotD.

*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Just wanted to post a note to say that the second game in this series will start playtesting in roughly 6 weeks.

Excellent news!

As Army commander I assume maneuver units will be corps. Will there also be independent divisions? Also... what zoom levels will be available, if any?

Definitely looking forward to the game and am a sure buy.

As for the miniatures system. As far as I know you are just about the only person who supports this. If at all possible, please don't give up on it. It almost certainly would be a major feature of any new ACW game you might one day make... and probably get a whole lot more use.

Either way... great news!

Hope you and the family are well.

Ray (alias Lava)
Windfire

Post by Windfire »

ORIGINAL: mpa541

I don't think that a conversion system is needed, people will generally scale their battles anyway based on the miniatures they have avaliable. I think the main things need to be troop numbers, relative quality (any old scale will do), campaign factors such as low supply/fatigue etc. Its up to the players what they do with this information...as long as all the players concerned are happy it makes no difference if the information is used or not. I really like the way the COTD(V1) gives arrival times for supporting formations...this is a really great feature and often causes head aches for setup games.

The only other information I would like is some terrain details...but again this is not super significant, V1 system is fine.

As I mention before, a text file, or even and xml sheet that the info can be printed from/updated would be great.

regards,

mike

Agree with all of the above. I would also like to see the ability to use miniatures retained.

Paul

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”