BFTB AAR: Race for the Meuse

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

HansBolter

BFTB AAR: Race for the Meuse

Post by HansBolter »

BFTB is moving forward with beta testing having been underway for several weeks now.

We have some great scenarios being worked over by the beta team I joined a few month ago.

As will be seen by this AAR we are uncovering game engine bugs and scenario imbalances and configuration errors so the testing effort is effective.

I found myself naturally attracted to the glamorous scenario KG Peiper: Race for the Meuse.

After playing through this scenario I started an AAR on the game development forum to provide feedback.

Dave asked if I would restart and complete it here to whet some apetites.

This scenario covers the area from Stavelot to Werbomont and lasts for up to six days.

Historically, KG Peiper drove through Stavelot, proceeding to Trois Ponts only to have the Salm river bridge blown, blocking his advance. He then redirected to the north crossing the Ambleve river, turning west again at La Gleize. The KG got as far as Staumont where it's path was effectively blocked by arriving US reinforcements. The KG then backtracked to La Gleize where it was surrounded. It's vehicles were ultimately abandoned and 800 members of the group escaped the encirclement on foot.

In keeping with history the scenario provides for alternative paths if the main route of advance is blocked.

The scenario starts with a lone panzer company on the eastern edge of the map advancing on Stavelot with the rest of the KG arriving steadily over a four day period. The main objective (75 VP) is to exit the western map edge at either Werbomont or Aywaille with a substantial combined arms force. The second objective (25 VP) is "Destroy Enemy". The tertiary objective (5 VP) is holding Stavelot. There are a six minor objectives (1 VP) consisting of bridges along different possible routes of advance and two very minor (.5 VP) objectives also consisting of bridges.

Before we start, a little about how I play. I use "painfully realistic orders delays", pictographic icons in lieu of NATO symbology and I save at intervals of anywhere from one to four hours. All screenshots are taken from reloading saved games rather than as play progresses.

I will apologize for the lack of flashy overlay graphics such as direction of thrust arrows as the AAR consists of clean screenshots with written descriptions of the action.

With that preface I'll introduce the first screenshot in the next post.
Hans

HansBolter

RE: BFTB AAR: Race for the Meuse

Post by HansBolter »

Scenario Start:

I have to state that I ran this scenario through the first two days two times before I continued on past that point on the third restart. This means I had two oppurtunities to see how things potentially play out and learn some important lessons about how to handle the challenges effectively. I know that some who prefer head to head play may consider this little better than cheating, but for solo play it is an effective way to learn how to be an effective commander. I'll review some of the hard lesons I learned in the first two false starts as I illustrate what I did differently the third time. Since we are supposed to be testing these scenarios I don't feel too guilty about the restarts.

Although I prefer to command by batallion most of the time and by regiment ocassionally, I still find the need to take command of specific individual units to make sure exact locations are taken or blocked. Since this scenario plays a lot like a Market garden scenario with respect to the need to secure the road against infiltration, I took command of individual units more than in most games.

My initial intentions are obviously to drive on Stavelot, blitz through it and proceed on to Trois Ponts.

Day 1 - 1730 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D11730.jpg
RaceftMe..D11730.jpg (197 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I've encountered a technical difficulty that is going to slow the progress of the thread.

The size limit for attached files is keeping me from attaching my original screenshots that were very high resolution.

I am having to retake them in lower resolution.

Please bear with me.
Hans

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

If you don't have the tools to change jpg-quality, I can help out there. If you add additional gfx (pointers/arrows) the quality of the jpg has to be lowered (set to ~50) and has to be set to like 55-64 % if you don't add gfx.
Using any of these values shouldn't have a visible effect on image quality.

Just PM me if u need help and I'll give u my email addy.
The file size uses to be around 198 kb with good quality. Also, you could crop the images, as I don't think that the button bar contains any valuable info.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Thanks for the offer.

I have several members of the beta team helping with a solution so we hope to get this thread moving again soon.

Bear with us and you'll soon have a glimpse at the action to supplement the small glimpse you've gotten of the newer graphics. [:)]
Hans

flintlock

Post by flintlock »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I've encountered a technical difficulty that is going to slow the progress of the thread.

Oh what a tease! [:'(]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'm happay to announce that we now have the technical difficuties sorted
out and can bring you the AAR in high resolution screenshots.

Please be aware that these pages may take a bit of time to download for some.

I mentioned that the beta testing is being effective in uncovering bugs.
Well one of the bugs uncovered in this test run was the lack of primed bridges.
The scenario designer intended for the major bridges to be primed at scenario
start rather than relying on engineer units with deny crosing orders to have a
chance to get them primed before the Germans arrive. As a result, I end up
drivig through the bridge objectives without being forced to seek alternative routes.
I didn't know this until after the fact so let's pretend that I just got lucky on all the
bridge blow die rolls.

Let's start over in higher resolution:

Scenario Start:

I have to state that I ran this scenario through the first two days two times before
I continued on past that point on the third restart. This means I had two oppurtunities
to see how things potentially play out and learn some important lessons about how to
handle the challenges effectively. I know that some who prefer head to head play may
consider this little better than cheating, but for solo play it is an effective way to learn
how to be an effective commander. I'll review some of the hard lesons I learned in the
first two false starts as I illustrate what I did differently the third time.
Since we are supposed to be testing these scenarios I don't feel too guilty about the restarts.

Although I prefer to command by batallion most of the time and by regiment ocassionally,
I still find the need to take command of specific individual units to make sure exact locations
are taken or blocked. Since this scenario plays a lot like a Market garden scenario with respect
to the need to secure the road against infiltration, I took command of individual units more than
in most games.

My initial intentions are obviously to drive on Stavelot, blitz through it and proceed on to Trois Ponts.

Day 1 - 1730 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D11730.jpg
RaceftMe..D11730.jpg (366.42 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Here we are at two and a half hours into the scenario.

The engineer unit in Stavelot is being driven back out of the town by the advancing panzer column.
The lead company, the 6/1 panzer company has almost completed the order to attack into Stavelot
and will be receiving new orders soon. The regimental HQ has caught up to the lead company and has
almost completed it's defend order for Stavelot. The first Panzer Bn is well on it's way to passing the 6/1
in pursuit of it's order to attack to Trois Ponts.

I tend to use attack orders to cover long distances with mechanized/motorized troops rather than using a
move order to get close to the objective and then switching to an attack order. There are two benefits I see to this.
One, no orders delay to switch from one to the other.
Two, since they have an attack order with many waypoints they will treat all but the last waypoint as a move order anyway.
If I understand the game mechanics corectly, this also means that if they encounter enemies along the route of march they
will go out of road movement, deploy for combat, fight their way through and then return to column march to continue on.

Screenshot at 2100 on Day 1:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D12100.jpg
RaceftMe..D12100.jpg (406.28 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Approximately 1.5 hours later:

The schutze bn, the third batallion of the second regiment, III.2, commanded by Jupp Defienthal,
has entered the map. KG Peiper HQ is sitting on the objective.
The 6/1 panzer company is processing it's order to reattach to the 1st Panzer Bn as the Bn,
commanded by Werner Poetschke, proceeds to move through Stavelot.
The American engineer continues to retreat to the west of Stavelot.

Day 1 2222 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D12222.jpg
RaceftMe..D12222.jpg (392.53 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Approximately 1.5 hours later:

The 1st Panzer Bn is moving slowly through the town.
The falschirmjaeger Co has been detached with a defend order for the northwestern sector of the town.
Here is where a bit of hindsight comes in to play from the first two false starts.
Knowing that the Americans come in with substantial force north of Stavelot and begin putting presure on it pretty quickly,
I take a conservative approach with the schutze bn's initail orders.
Rather than sending them on through towards Trois Ponts, I give them a move order to the center of Stavelot.
I'll await further reinforcements before sending more units on behind the panzer bn.

Day 2 0000 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D20000.jpg
RaceftMe..D20000.jpg (407.53 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

4 hours later:

I diverted the panzer bn to a slightly more northern route in the hopes of overrunning the retreating engineer unit.
As it is the thick of night, instead I am racing right by him and the adjustment in route will mean that my force will
not reach Trois Ponts as quickly....not really one of my better decisions.
The falschirmjaeger was so fatigued that they stopped to rest before making it to the northern sector of the town so
I changed their order to rest and will give them a significant breather and put them in reserve as other units take responsibility for the town.
I have decided to use the schutze bn to defend the town at least until follow on reinforcements arrive.
The first arriving flak company is headed for the objective location.

Day 2 0400:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D20400.jpg
RaceftMe..D20400.jpg (368.47 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

4 hours later:

The panzer bn is well on it's way to Trois Ponts.
I have begun to micromanage the defense of Stavelot to get units in the best locations with one company
moving to block the crossroads of the tracks thorugh the woods. The falschirmjaeger is still resting.
The lead flak co is in place on the objective in Stavelot.
The second arriving flak co is headed to a blocking position on the north/south road west of Stavelot,
where the lead elements of the panzer bn are now, to cover the flank of the panzers as they proceed on.
The third arriving flk co is headed for Trois Ponts.

Day 2 0803 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D20803.jpg
RaceftMe..D20803.jpg (393.51 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

3 hours later:

The panzer bn has blitzkrieged it's way into Trois Ponts driving the engineers out and has already secured both the Ambleve and Salm river bridges.
KG Peiper HQ is advancing to Trois Ponts. Screening alarm units are in place on the northern flank.
The schutze bn supported by the 7 panzer company, which started the scenario attached to the schutze bn, is solidy entrenched at Stavelot.
The falschirmjaegers snore loudly on through the morning hours.

Day 2 1100 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D21100.jpg
RaceftMe..D21100.jpg (414.7 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Not quite 4 hours later:

Things will start getting interesting at Stavelot soon as Ami units are arriving.
Werner Poetschke's panzer bn is consolidating it's hold on Trois Ponts as Peiper arrives.
I detached the flak co to block the northewest flank, one panzer co to overrun the engineer unit to the west
and sent the regimental pionier co to destroy the other engineer unit to the east.

Wilhelm Mohnke's divisional HQ is arriving at Stavelot where the schutze continues to await the arrival of the Amis.
Since I hope to be leapfrogging forward soon and artillery can shoot to the rear just as easily as to the front
and is not yet needed to pummel the Amis coming toward Stavelot, I have decided to send it on to Trois Ponts to set up it's fire base there.
Oh yea, the falschirmjaeger are still sleeping like the dead in divisional reserve. [:)]

Day 2 1446 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D21446.jpg
RaceftMe..D21446.jpg (388.76 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

A little over 3 hours later:

I forgot to mention on the last screenshot that the lead elements of Heinz von Westernhagen's
501st SS Schwere Panzer Abteilung (king tigers) had entered the map.
They now have orders to leapfrog the lead panzer bn and drive to Basse-Bodeaux.

Schnell Group Knittel (the divisional recon bn +) has arrived behind them and has been ordered
to put the pedal to the metal and drive all the way to the objective bridge on the river southeast of Werbomont.

The Amis appear content to spend the night building up northeast of Stavelot and I expect an asault on the town tomorrow morning.
The engineer unit west of Stavelot finally threw in the towel as did the one east of Trois Ponts.
Oh yea, the falschirmjaeger are still snoring on.

Day 2 1800:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D21800.jpg
RaceftMe..D21800.jpg (416.64 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

6 hours later:

Not a whole lot has happened, but snce the FJ is now active again I wanted to present this shot.
Since they marched through the first night and spent the day sleeping, which is not the best way
to recover fatigue they are still fairly well fatigued.
In spite of this I decided this night was the best time to get the mechanized infantry co out of the
woods and back to the town to help in the defense in the morning.
This puts the bn back into a more coherent deployment.
It also gets the FJ into the woods who are much better suited for it than the mech inf are.

In addition the two companies that asaulted the engineers east and west of Trois Ponts are now resting.
The flak I had at Trois Ponts is moving south to secure the bridge objective there as the one at Stavelot displaces forward to Trois Ponts.
The 501st and Knittle are pushing hard on the heels of the artillery that is plodding on to Trois Ponts.

Day 3 0000 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D30000.jpg
RaceftMe..D30000.jpg (398.49 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

2 hours later:

I have to say that I think I that we may still not be modeling fatigue accurately enough yet.
Fatigue seems to be primarilary a function of exertion such as marching and fighting and not of a lack of sleep as it also should.
Troops riding in vehicles sem to be able to drive all night long without sleep and without accumulating any significant fatigue as a result.
However, remember how fatigued the FJ became from marching all night. I guess those troops can sleep better in those trucks.

Something sort of strange happened over the last two hours.
The tigers who were barely ahead of the recon bn have raced all the way to their objective at Basse-Bodeux while the recon bn is barely
in the proces of pasing the artillery that has slowed to crawl from fatigue. As the tigers closed on Trois Ponts I ordered the panzer Bn to
leapfrog past it and it is already catching and pasing the tigers. Peiper has displaced forward to Basse-Bodeux while the divisional HQ has
done the same to Trois Ponts. One flak co has secured the bridge south of Trois Ponts, one the road north of Trois Ponts and the third the
town on the hill northwest of Trois Ponts. The regimental pionier bn is moving to block the crossroads of the tracks in the woods Northwest
of Basse-Bodeux. Concerned that the lone flak company blocking the paved road north of Trois Ponts, which is a natural route of advance
for the Amis I expect to start arriving along the northern flank soon, might not be up to the task, I have detached a tiger co to support it.

This is the beginning of a trend of over concern on blocking defensively that will run it's course over the next couple of days.
I seemed to fall into a mentality that protecting the road was a priority. I adopted a "take and hold" mentality and lost sight of my mission
a bit which is decidely to "take and take and take and take and keep on taking". Adopting the "take and hold" mentality allowed the Amis
to take the initiative away from me in a few locations until I shook myself out of the brainfog by conjuring up an image of George C. Scott
standing on a stage in front of a huge American flag.......I can still hear his words......"I don't want to get any reports that we are holding our positions.
The only thing we are going to hold is the enemy. We're going to hold him by the nose and kick him in the ass. We're going to go through him like crap through a goose."

Day 3 0200 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D30200.jpg
RaceftMe..D30200.jpg (391.73 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

2 hours later:

Here is a look at fatigue levels as the two panzer bns have arrived at Chauveheid to prepare for the assault across
the Ourthe with the recon bn having finally found the accelerator pedals and caught up to the panzers.

The detached tiger co has arrived just in time to support the flak in blocking Ami tanks from driving south to Trois Ponts.
The artillery had stopped to rest on the road to Trois Ponts so I went ahead and gave them a rest order.
Not much else has changed. Note that the mechanized troops have driven all night long without accumulating much fatigue.

Day 3 0400 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D30400.jpg
RaceftMe..D30400.jpg (408.78 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

4 hours later, daybreak:

Daybreak reveals the arrival of the Amis in force. Now we are gonna finally get some action going.
The AI's first attempt on Stavelot comes down the slopes in open terrain.
They used the cover of the wee hours of the night to get close to the town and in one case even infiltrate.

Rudolf Sandig has entered the map with the HQ elemnts of his regiment. Again here is where some hard lessons learned
with the hindsight of the two false starts comes into play. The first time I played through this part I stupidly sent them stright
down the road to Stavelot under the watchful eyes of the Amis on the heights to the north. Can you say sitting ducks for an artillery shoot?
The best route for Sandig and his follow on batallions is to divert southwest in the rough terrain gap betwen the woods and then pick up the
road net that will allow them to either reach Stavelot by going north through the woods or head on to Trois Ponts.

An American engineer unit has started to probe around the flak holding the bridge south of Trois Ponts.
The detached tiger co continues to hold the Ami tanks at bay to the north of Trois Ponts.
Peiper's regimental pionier co has encountered an apparent American regimental HQ in the Bois de Rahier.

Knittle has secured the bridge objective on the river east of Werbomont while the two panzer bns continue to hold in the town to the east of the river.
Look at all those paratroopers flooding west to the river from Werbomont! [X(]

Day 3 0800 hours:

Attachments
RaceftMe..D30800.jpg
RaceftMe..D30800.jpg (414.32 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

2 hours later:

As the action is developing at the two extreme edges of the map and a zoom level that shows both makes it hard to see
and understand the action I will split things into east and west screenshots for the time slots that need it to describe the action well.

Here is the eastern half.

You can see Sandig following the path to Stavelot I described earlier.
They are taking a bit of artillery fire as they come out of the woods into the clear terrain south of Stavelot, but not nearly as much as
if they had simply followed the short straight path in the open the whole way. In light of the American build-up and pressure starting to mount
north of Stavelot I have decided to assign the town's defense to Sandig, which will free up the Peiper's schutze Bn to displace forward with the rest of it's regiment.
With some probing coming in northwest of Trois Ponts I have sent one of Peiper's regimental pionier bns there to reinforce the flak holding the town on the heights.

Day 3 1000 hours eastern sector:

Attachments
RaceftMe..10001.jpg
RaceftMe..10001.jpg (392.04 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Hans

Return to “After Action Reports”