Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/1/2007 3:41:29 PM   
misadlouhy

i bother because i want to play the game as it is and this recovering from mortal wounds instead of dying seems fine to me

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 31
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/1/2007 8:15:54 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: misadlouhy

i bother because i want to play the game as it is and this recovering from mortal wounds instead of dying seems fine to me

And I bother because I want to play the game with soldiers dying, and collecting "brain pieces" to put in cloned copies does not seem fine to me. Can we agree to not agree

(in reply to misadlouhy)
Post #: 32
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 1:40:50 AM   
Tactics

I had no idea soldiers couldn't die.  The game is off my list pending a patch that changes this aspect of the game.  Regarding the "Rumor Control" thread - I'm skipping this title, dispite what you say.  If soldiers can't die, it most certainly will not feel like X-Com.

Signed...

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 33
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 12:37:55 PM   
Bromley

After the initial reaction wore off, I'm not too bothered about the design decision as long as it works.  Only time will tell on the last part, but given the success of games like JA and even Xcom games (as enjoyed by reloading people), there's obviously a market for eternal youth.

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 34
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 11:00:10 PM   
Tactics

It's not really about re-loading, for me. It's more about realism and making sense. If a rocket takes off the head of one of my soldiers and incinerates his body....how does he come back to life in 30 or 40 days later.

< Message edited by Tactics -- 5/2/2007 11:01:53 PM >

(in reply to Bromley)
Post #: 35
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 11:07:02 PM   
sage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tactics

It's not really about re-loading, for me. It's more about realism and making sense. If a rocket takes off the head of one of my soldiers and incinerates his body....how does he come back to life in 30 or 40 days later.

:=) Magic!

Yeah, it irritates me too. They've made a gamey decision that I really don't agree with, and then balanced it by making another gamey decision that I don't agree with (severely limiting the number of soldiers you can have).

It's really a bummer that I didn't choose to handle this more like x-com. I liked having hordes of faceless troops, with only a few good guys that had survived and become veterans.

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 36
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 11:18:26 PM   
Falesh

If you don't like it then fairs fair. But I don't think it is right to rubbish it. Troopers can get hit by rockets, grenades, etc and survive so I do not see why if they have good head armour they can't recover some brain. Just like a black box in an aeroplane, if there is something small and valuable it can be possible to protect it even from the worst crash.

Sure there may be some death where the aliens unleash hell and keep shooting at the dead body where the brain is totally wasted. But come on this is a game not a simulator, so long as there isn't a problem with the majority of cases then it's fine by me.

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 37
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/2/2007 11:27:33 PM   
Bromley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tactics

Bear in mind I'm not an apologist for the limited-death design decision, but the logic might be:
(a) We're talking about a sci fi setting where our side starts out more technologically advanced than in Xcom.
(b) All soldiers are fitted with black boxes/cortical stacks/insert-other-high-tech-thing-here.
(c) If you recover that device (i.e. if you win a battle), then you can download it into a cloned body.

I think they've taken the tack that there's a black box storage unit in the armour suit. You might also be able to explain the real death of tank drivers by saying that the exploding vehicle destroys any recording device (as I've read that troops driving vehicles die). That seems a little spurious to me, especially if your infantry don't suffer real death from grenade/rocket attacks, but I'm willing to suspend belief for that (solid state, extremely duarble storage etc.)

For me, the realism part hinges on how they handle (c). So if you flee a battle with unrecovered men down and it still takes them to hospital, that will grate with me. Probably won't stop me getting the game though :) .

< Message edited by Bromley -- 5/2/2007 11:54:38 PM >

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 38
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/3/2007 12:42:19 AM   
J P Falcon

"For me, the realism part hinges on how they handle (c). So if you flee a battle with unrecovered men down and it still takes them to hospital, that will grate with me. Probably won't stop me getting the game though :) . "

That about sums it up for me as well.....it would be a nice touch if you needed to physically maneuver a soldier over a body, then transfer over to the inventory screen where you would need to expend AP's retreiving the brain thingy from the ground, in order to bring your trooper back for another day.....

(in reply to Bromley)
Post #: 39
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/3/2007 12:50:14 AM   
Falesh

From what I have read (I am sleepy so this may be inaccurate ), if you retreat then all dead soldiers are lost, if you lose then all dead soldiers are lost. The only way they can be recovered is if you win the mission, if that is the case the troops have plenty of time to go back and collect their dead.

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 40
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/3/2007 1:23:48 AM   
J P Falcon

Yeah, that makes sense....is it Friday yet?

(in reply to Falesh)
Post #: 41
RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! - 5/3/2007 1:26:10 AM   
sage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falesh

From what I have read (I am sleepy so this may be inaccurate ), if you retreat then all dead soldiers are lost, if you lose then all dead soldiers are lost. The only way they can be recovered is if you win the mission, if that is the case the troops have plenty of time to go back and collect their dead.

I'd be happier if certain types of damage, or taking massive quantities of it, would result in permadeath due to the the 'core' being destroyed. Then, better armors could increase the threshold for perma death.

(in reply to Falesh)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI