Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
sage

Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

Post by sage »

Hi folks,

The purpose of this thread is to provide Matrix with the support they need to request this "feature" from the developers.

Please sign under this thread if you'd like to see an option for death in the game for your soldiers. If you'd just prefer to discuss this, or disagree, please do so here: tm.asp?m=1446562. If you are going to refrain from purchasing this game until this feature is implemented, please note that here.

Can someone who's registered at the developer forum post a link to this thread and encourage folks that in agreement to come sign?

Sage

LitFuel

RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

Post by LitFuel »

All I'll say for now is I want death in the game...as to if I buy it or not, I want to wait and see after it comes out how it plays. There Gampro review was helpful but left many unanswered questions on how things are going to work in the game without it. I need more details, so you guys who buy right away are my test subjects...lol. thank you [:D].

I don't think they will be able to patch it in. It's part of the game design..it would change other things related to it. I can't imagine it. Maybe if they make a sequel.
dpstafford

Post by dpstafford »

The no death decision is a gross violation of the game design prime direct - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
pad152

Post by pad152 »

And the point of this game is[&:]

Huh, I know let's make a DOOM game that only plays in GOD Mode and the player can't die and never runs out of ammo! [8|]

Da_Junka

Post by Da_Junka »

Death to no death. But I still think it's a mistake the game devs wouldn't destroy the game they have so lovingly recreated would they?
Widell

Post by Widell »

Signed.....
pad152

Post by pad152 »

If the aliens can't kill me, why do I want to kill them?
Can't we all just get along?

Who designed this game, members of Greenpeace?[8|]
Deadaim

Post by Deadaim »

Do you really think they will push back the release and completly re-do the game to include death? I dont think it would be a simple change since it sounds like the game is completely balanced around your men not dying. I will be buying it as it is.
"Seldom is the last of anything better than the first"
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

First time I'm reading this, so what exactly happens to your soldiers if they take excessive hits? Are they just unconcious to fight another day?

The whole point of X Com UFO Defense was to build up your soldier's experience so they could handle the tougher Aliens that invade, and losing one of these well trained men in a fire fight was one of the surprise agonies in the game......I'll be removing this off my want list if this is not either fixed,  or the present system clarified to my satisfaction....
Faenaris

Post by Faenaris »

I would love a "death" option.

Still, I'm gonna get the game. The devs must have had their reasons for it and heck, we might like it. :)
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

i never thought i would say this, but.......

GIVE ME DEATH!!!!! [:-]

vote for death in the poll here:

http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... a53e3694c5
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Your soldiers can't die?!?!
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
First time I'm reading this, so what exactly happens to your soldiers if they take excessive hits? Are they just unconcious to fight another day?
ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
Your soldiers can't die?!?!

Check the Link referred to at the top of this post to see the discussion
ORIGINAL: Deadaim
Do you really think they will push back the release and completly re-do the game to include death? I dont think it would be a simple change since it sounds like the game is completely balanced around your men not dying. I will be buying it as it is.

If you read what was said at the start of this thread, sage specifically asked for the discussion to continue in the other thread (see below quote), but it seems as your vote is a no then? [;)]
ORIGINAL: sage
Hi folks,

The purpose of this thread is to provide Matrix with the support they need to request this "feature" from the developers.

Please sign under this thread if you'd like to see an option for death in the game for your soldiers. If you'd just prefer to discuss this, or disagree, please do so here: tm.asp?m=1446562. If you are going to refrain from purchasing this game until this feature is implemented, please note that here.

Can someone who's registered at the developer forum post a link to this thread and encourage folks that in agreement to come sign?

Sage
Venator

Post by Venator »

I certainly won't buy the game (which I was really looking forward to) until soldiers can be killed.
eg0master

Post by eg0master »

Make death an option in the game please.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I think death should be included. I need to feel a sense of brotherhood when I'm sending my troopers in and I need to feel a sense of loss when a trooper dies.

If death is not included, I will take risks I probably wouldn't have had before.
Alba gu' brath
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

No dying team members? Just incapacitation for X turns?

What a bizzare design decision. Part of the whole fun of team selection before a mission was, do I risk sending my dream team squad? Or should I flesh out the force with some rookies, so as not to risk all my eggs in one basket?

Are they trying to attract a favorable violence rating, so the can sell to kiddies at Wal Mart or something?

I must say I'm deeply skeptical of all this. Maybe the reviewer misinterpreted a rule of something? Barring my Wal Mart theory above, I cannot imagine any sensable game designers making such a bad design call like this.
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
jjk391

Post by jjk391 »

I'm a big fan of death, and probably will hold off/pass as well.  But there might be an issue here that makes our ire moot - this game was probaby made (and IS marketed) in europe, where they are NOT big fans of death.  Governments there tend to ban things, so don't hold your breath for this to change. 
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

Governments there tend to ban things, so don't hold your breath for this to change.

This is getting silly. Just look at the games sold in the EU and you will see there is no problem selling violent games (there can be a problem selling extremely violent games in some countries)
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: jjk391
...But there might be an issue here that makes our ire moot - this game was probaby made (and IS marketed) in europe, where they are NOT big fans of death. Governments there tend to ban things, so don't hold your breath for this to change....

You have got to be kidding me right? I live there as you call it, and would be very interested in hearing any examples supporting your statement. What games and movies have been banned in Europe by the governments that are sold wherever you live? What other tendencies to ban things have you seen/experienced?

Living in Europe, and travelling frequently to the US, I am just curious to see what I have obviously missed as this is indeed a major difference between the two parts of the world [X(]

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”