Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 7:44:40 PM   
moses

Kind of hard to believe. What rational could there possibly be for a soldier to get hit with multiple blaster bombs (or whatever equivilant exists) and just shows up injured afterwards. I can remember some situations where you had chain reaction explosions where nothing in the middle of it could possibly survive. And now you're OK???

Also what were those things in XCOM where they killed you and then after a few turns you were zombiefied and you had to be killed. I guess thats gone as well.

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 31
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 7:56:40 PM   
Falesh

Brain suckers, almost as nasty as that running bomb *shudder*.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 32
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 8:36:27 PM   
sage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Faenaris

I have always been an "Iron Man" when it comes to UFO. I start with a team, name them and then go with that team. Sure, maybe 1 or 2 out of the 10 might actually see 10 missions, but most wouldn't it. I never reloaded the game (I did on a few occasions, but that felt awkward and cheating), so, a veteran gone, is a veteran gone. :) That's why I find this "injury" thing a bit disappointing. The thrill of sitting with a guy, no armour and a laser rifle, waiting to go through a door while you suspect that there is an alien waiting for you, is undescribeable. If they can't die, the anxiety isn't there.

I'm probably a UFO grognard, but I really loved the dying. :) Still, I'm gonna buy the game. The new mechanic might work well enough for little old me. :)

100% Ditto from me.

The more I think about the change to recruiting and death, the more irritated I get.

I don't care about selling weapons -- that was cheezy, and I would generally refrain from doing.

But the deat thing has me sooooo freakin' irritated.

Hey Eric / Matrix guys -- it's clear that I'm not the only one. Can this be passed on to the game designers to have an option for 'death' and differing recruitment options (even say the ability to just adjust recuitment rate separately from difficulty level when beginning a game?).

(in reply to Faenaris)
Post #: 33
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 9:09:08 PM   
Deadaim

Everyone is definately entitled to their own opinion, and if the flaws pointed out here are enough to make some not buy it thats fine. I am personally going to buy it and enjoy it. I want to play this game and I want to support the Turn Based Games in hopes that there will be more in the Future.

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 34
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 9:23:16 PM   
evilferretvictim

I'm just hoping there are at least a few people in the community that know a bit of programming, so they can quickly fix the death thing.    I would say that CC should patch it, but I don't feel like waiting 6+ months for them to get around to it....This is going to be something the community will have to fix, hopefully it won't be anything too difficult.   

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 35
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/28/2007 9:26:16 PM   
NefariousKoel

The incapacitation isn't a deal breaker for me.  I'll still buy it and I didn't even know the environments were destructible woot!

I'll wait 'til I've played it to complain about gameplay.

(in reply to evilferretvictim)
Post #: 36
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 1:41:01 AM   
Arctic Blast

I agree that the 'no death' thing is an odd choice, as it did make me play a little more carefully, knowing I was risking my 12 mission surviving Major out there. however, for all you guys suggesting that now you can just run Banzai style in to the fire, no, you can't. Note that the reviewer ALSO said that while guys can't die, they can be injured and lost of some time. Couple that with the fact you can't just buy up numbers of soldiers any damn time you want, they just trickle in. go ahead, go Banzai, and be out of troops in about 2 missions!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 37
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 1:52:29 AM   
LitFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

I agree that the 'no death' thing is an odd choice, as it did make me play a little more carefully, knowing I was risking my 12 mission surviving Major out there. however, for all you guys suggesting that now you can just run Banzai style in to the fire, no, you can't. Note that the reviewer ALSO said that while guys can't die, they can be injured and lost of some time. Couple that with the fact you can't just buy up numbers of soldiers any damn time you want, they just trickle in. go ahead, go Banzai, and be out of troops in about 2 missions!

I wish the review had more detail, it really lacks any info on what exactly happens, it's sort of vague on what factors are involved when a soldier goes on a injured list. how long?..is it random how long, do aliens ever die? Do soldiers never get taken over by aliens anymore?..if so then can they be killed?...so many questions, so few answers. I have a feeling he only played it for a short while. It just makes the aliens seem rather lame that the're not even powerful enough to kill anyone. Why not just make peace with the buggers if their weapons are so weak. Dumb. Not that a game about aliens invading a planet is realistic anyways, but you know what I mean..it just kills the atmosphere a bit. I'll wait and see I have too many questions first. it's to bad the developers have been in hiding for some time now..not very supportive to the community.

< Message edited by LitFuel -- 4/29/2007 3:06:44 AM >

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 38
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 2:01:18 AM   
J P Falcon

Well I'll wait longer than I planned then see..........

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 39
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 4:04:41 AM   
Xvoid

wow thats crazy if your people can't die. what happens to the tanks/robots? or when your intercepters/transports ships get shot down? you need to "buy" more of them or they just go to get repairs?

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 40
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 1:00:07 PM   
Krasny

as a 'no death' walk around, we could fire any incapacitated soldiers

PLEASE CHAOS GIVE US DEATH!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Xvoid)
Post #: 41
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/29/2007 10:59:58 PM   
ezz

If you want death , get your fix from UFO Afterlight.
Soldiers die
they can be taken over psy soldiers and fight against you.
The reasearch is pretty good too.
Afterlight is a MUCH improved version of the previous ufo series and if you like xcom you should give it a look.

As for this , having recently played  this afterlight ufo game I confess to Very Rarely letting anyone die. Too much investment and too few replacements , but I gree they should be able to die.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 42
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/30/2007 1:52:49 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'll chime in here if I may.

I was never a player of the X-Com game, but had a friend that was nuts about it. I was looking forward to giving it a go...and I may still do so...

Howevere, I'd like to point out my thoughts on this "no deatH" thing if I may...and my thoughts are on tactical games of this level, regardless of whether it's called X-Com or not.

It seems to me, from my perspective of having a dozen or so troops, that I will get "attached" to them and, as I see them grow, look after them. But it also seems to me, very, very obviously, that I will be less likely to "be as careful" with them if I know they are not going to die. That, to me, removes the "personalisation" and attachment one may feel towards a small group of troops. Also, it does remove some of the tension and tactical edge because you will be less careful and take more risks knowing you are not going to lose you prize posession.

So, from my "external" point of view, it does remove somewhat from the game. I never played the original to know how much it affected that game...but I do know that playing a game of this tactical size will remove some of the attachment to your troops and leave you with less of a dilema at times regarding tactics.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 43
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/30/2007 3:47:53 AM   
Arctic Blast

[/quote]

I wish the review had more detail, it really lacks any info on what exactly happens, it's sort of vague on what factors are involved when a soldier goes on a injured list. how long?..is it random how long, do aliens ever die? Do soldiers never get taken over by aliens anymore?..if so then can they be killed?...so many questions, so few answers. I have a feeling he only played it for a short while. It just makes the aliens seem rather lame that the're not even powerful enough to kill anyone. Why not just make peace with the buggers if their weapons are so weak. Dumb. Not that a game about aliens invading a planet is realistic anyways, but you know what I mean..it just kills the atmosphere a bit. I'll wait and see I have too many questions first. it's to bad the developers have been in hiding for some time now..not very supportive to the community.
[/quote]

Yes, more detail is definitely something I will also be waiting for. I'll hold off and see what a few more reviews say, and hopefully there will be a demo I can try, before I lay down my bucks for the game. And don't get me wrong, I DO agree with you that it was a very strange decision to have soldiers be unkillable. I really can't imagine what was said in a design meeting to come to that conclusion, as it just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And yeah, I'm with you on the whole "If the aliens are this weak...why are they such a threat???" thought as well.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 44
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/30/2007 8:34:44 PM   
orogogus

well I registered just to complain!

I was waiting for this with baited breath based on the 'look and feel' of the original XCOM. It is going from 'must buy' to 'wait and see, maybe the devs will patch it or the community will'.

Just an acedote of why I think your guys should be mortal. When it first came out, my good friend wanted to show me the game to get me interested and so he fired it up (I think it was on a 386 16Mhz back in the day LOL) and in the very first alien turn of the first mission, when my guys hadn't even full cleared the transport ramp, an alien runs up and tosses a grenade into the middle of the squad. BOOM. Everyone dead except 1 HW guy way in the back who promptly panics, drops his weapon, and flees back into the corner, no doubt quivering and shrieking like a school-girl. That was one of the most awesome moments of my computer gaming history. Yes, the same thing could happen with them all being injured, but knowing they would all come back and just be laid up in the hospital for a while just doesn't have the same viceral response as shaking your head and going 'OMG! that was so freaking totally awesome, this game is HARDCORE!'

And I totally agree with the loss of the fear of death in the tactical game. I was stoked to hear about fully destructable environments since going through doors was always a death-trap. I looked forward to breaching walls to protect my guys. Now, why bother other than some inconvience?

At least add in a iron man mode... but in the very least I'll see what the reviews and mods say before ponying up any cash.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 45
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 4/30/2007 9:05:53 PM   
pzpat

If you read the Gamepro review itself, you will notice that they consistently rate the game in the 3's, and only use 4.25 for the insubstantial "fun" element.  And this from a group that has an in with Matrix, according to one recent post.  They complain twice about "unfortunate design choices," with which we all seem to agree. And it didn't seem that the reviewer would buy the game himself, or be as avid an X-Com fan as the writers on this thread. 
    My vote has gone this morning from a definite buy at first opportunity to wait and see and maybe just stick with the original.  Taking away the deaths of the troops does change the character of the game, and I fear not for the better.  Years ago I was describing X-Com to a friend of mine, telling him that after 10 or so missions my most experienced surviving troops had gone on only 2 or 3 missions.  He remembered that his experiences in Viet Nam were much like that.  I wouldn't want to give that up if I don't have to.
    Given that 1-there are so many people who have contributed to this thread and the related one, and 2-there has been so much emotional intensity evident in the posts that have appeared, it is disappointing that there has not been greater response from the Matrix people responsible for having modified the game.  In the Forge of Freedom forum there have been EXTENSIVE interactions between the Matrix people and the gaming community that have resulted in updates to the game that make it much, much better.  There is a "Wish List" of over 20 pages, other threads of suggestions to heighten the historical accuracy, to alter the game balance, etc.
    At this point we can only trust in the flexibility and continued commitment of the Matrix people to doing the right thing.  After all, they market a lot of games, and not every one of them can be a blockbuster. 

(in reply to orogogus)
Post #: 46
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/1/2007 1:06:34 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzpat
In the Forge of Freedom forum there have been EXTENSIVE interactions between the Matrix people and the gaming community that have resulted in updates to the game that make it much, much better. There is a "Wish List" of over 20 pages, other threads of suggestions to heighten the historical accuracy, to alter the game balance, etc.

As well as in HTTR, COTA, TOAW and WITP...... This kind of interaction is one of Matrix most important "brand images" in my opinion

quote:

...After all, they market a lot of games, and not every one of them can be a blockbuster.

Well, it would be a shame if UFO did not make it

Still, this could all be a complete hoax, just to add to the build up before the release

(in reply to pzpat)
Post #: 47
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/2/2007 6:18:00 PM   
Bromley

A mini player review by Feygan on the developer site:
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1465

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 48
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/13/2007 9:45:34 AM   
CSL

quote:

If you read the Gamepro review itself, you will notice that they consistently rate the game in the 3's, and only use 4.25 for the insubstantial "fun" element. And this from a group that has an in with Matrix, according to one recent post. They complain twice about "unfortunate design choices," with which we all seem to agree. And it didn't seem that the reviewer would buy the game himself, or be as avid an X-Com fan as the writers on this thread.

The "fun" element is not insubstantial as its the most important part - what are you doing other than having fun during games.

(in reply to pzpat)
Post #: 49
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/14/2007 8:49:33 AM   
GalacticOrigins

For those of you who do not own the game and are stuck on 'Soldiers Not Dying'.

Yeah, I played the original and kinda miss death. However, consider ...

If you evacuate a mission gone wrong, anyone not on the transport (including those 'wounded and dead on the field') are deleted. As in gone. You know, Dead. Er, DED, (dead, extremely dead).

Oh, and by the way, you will be on hundreds of missions with this team. The XP requirement for the highest ranks is very high. Not that it matters. The higher ranks only help offset your training decisions early on (it is possible to max out the AP and shooting skills far earlier). You will EARN the rank, trust me. And it is a nice reward once you get there. What does this mean? Well, if a mission goes horribly wrong, you can a) go back to an earlier save (not for those of us who are diehard core X-Commanders) or b) lose the soldier forever.

My main point is that it takes a lot of time to build up the squad. There are limited soldiers available. On any mission, things can go way wrong. And being in sickbay for 20+ days is to miss 2-10 missions. You can expect enemy flybys every 3-5 days, if not more often (there is the occasional lull, thankfully). So being in sickbay for a month is a very long wait. And death by evac is permanent. So, losing 100+ missions worth of experience is a major setback. The original game was way too easy and this is a very nice improvement. Not buying the game because of 'limited recruitment or no base building' is missing the point entirely. I think this game is actually better than X-Com (I do miss the music, tho).

I would also like to see a Kill Stat Page for my squad.

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 50
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/14/2007 1:25:18 PM   
ravinhood

I have to say if it's not like the origional X-Com to the tee, then it just ain't X-Com to the tee. This is more of a watered down edition although made for XP. That might hold some water since as I said it's a watered down version. It's one of those whatif type of games. Like whatif we change this and this and this and this and toss it to the dogs and see what happens. Well even dogs know the difference from a milk bone to just a bone. ;) Even X-Com Terror from the Deep didn't escape from the origional game except for underwater combat sequences and using aqua versions of gear and aliens. This I could accept, didn't mess with the origional engine of how the game PLAYED. But, this game certainly messes wit it. To be able to save every trouper just because one makes it back safely to the ship every single time is just rediculous. There's no life lol pun intended in a game that has no death or death so rare it won't even be noticeable.

Let's put it this way it's more believeable that there are practically an unlimited group of trained merc/military troups just waiting to get into X-Com services (as in the previous X-Com and X-COm TFTD) than it is to believe Sigorney Weaver is commanding every battle situation and will drag every solider out before taking off. lol I even know where they got this silly idea of a sick bay from. Watch Starship Troopers lol One of the main stars had to spend several days in some cooler of chemicals after being "wounded" during battle. But, watch starship troupers again, you won't see a lot of troupers coming back to sick bay either. Those bugs chewed 100's of them to pieces and funny even in the movie more troupers kept joining in as reinforcements. Guess 40,000 credits is a lot during that time. ;)

Now I can accept the ability to blow stuff up. Something added to the X-Com game instead of changing or taking stuff away. Also, when you sell junk (as in the other X-Coms) you don't worry why they are buying it or what they are using it for. You sell it because there is a market for it. Now, I could have excepted some market changes in prices like in Spartan when you sell a load of the same stuff over n over. But, taking away our fun in manufactoring and selling our goods was bad for this new game as well.

Looks like Gamespots review is more on the money for those that have played X-Com before and this other review site is good for those that never heard of it, though not really, because the best X-Com was the real X-Com of the 90's. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 5/14/2007 1:35:29 PM >

(in reply to Da_Junka)
Post #: 51
RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! - 5/14/2007 2:56:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ravinhood,

Tough to judge though unless you've actually played it, no?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: UFO Extraterrestrials Scores 4.25/5 on Gamepro.com! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI