Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Transport Helo's, etc.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Transport Helo's, etc. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 7:46:43 PM   
Shawmut

As often as I've gone over the manual, I am having a problem in using effectively the helo transports. I mean especially the moving of a unit, either heavy or troop by means of copters.
I move the icon of a transport helicopter over the unit, it says "embarked" but only the icon of the carrier moves on.
I'm sure the answer is so simple and clearly written someplace that I will be embarassed when it's pointed out. But I am missing it. (Maybe so simple that I am missing it.)
It occures in the most modern scenarioes; Aegean, Saddam's thing and wherever these units should coordinate. I've printed and kept the manual handy to review for the unguarded moment that it will jump out at me as just too obvious - but alas, I'm still stumbling.
Post #: 1
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 7:59:02 PM   
Veers

1) Ensure that your helos have full MPs.
2) Ensure that those transport helos are within 20km of the unit you want to thransport.
3) Ensure that that helo unit has an air lift capacity of more than or equal to the unit you want to move.
4) Right-click on the airmobile iconned unit you want to trasnport and then left click on 'Board Helicopters'. It will be in black text if you have done the first steps correctly.
5) Move that unit to where you want it to go. Note, if you select a different unit before mving thr one you have being transported by helos it will disembark, using half its MPs and the helo air lift.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Shawmut)
Post #: 2
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 9:07:41 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

1) Ensure that your helos have full MPs.

This is important. Not only your transport helo units, but all unit that have transport helos assigned to them, regardless of unit icon type, will provide transport points, if eligible to do so. After they've provided them, the units have their remaining MPs set to Zero.

quote:

2) Ensure that those transport helos are within 20km of the unit you want to thransport.

200 Km.

quote:

3) Ensure that that helo unit has an air lift capacity of more than or equal to the unit you want to move.

Transport points for all providing units within 200 Km of the transported unit's embarkation point are pooled. Depending on the size of the unit being transported and the individual carrying capacities of the providing units, some, or all of them will be counted as used, and MPs set to zero on the providing units. Partial use will set to zero, but the unused carrying capacity is still available for other units within 200 Km of the providing unit.

quote:

4) Right-click on the airmobile iconned unit you want to trasnport and then left click on 'Board Helicopters'. It will be in black text if you have done the first steps correctly.

Also there is a small icon in the unit panel when a unit is available for helo transport that looks...surprise, surprise...like a helicopter... Clicking on that will embark the unit as well. On a personal sidenote, I had completely overlooked that little icon for years, until it came time to rewrite the manual. I never even noticed it.

quote:

5) Move that unit to where you want it to go. Note, if you select a different unit before mving thr one you have being transported by helos it will disembark, using half its MPs and the helo air lift.

Right!

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 3
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 9:43:22 PM   
Veers

I hate you.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 9:43:37 PM   
Veers

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 5
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 9:45:12 PM   
Veers

quote:

This is important. Not only your transport helo units, but all unit that have transport helos assigned to them, regardless of unit icon type, will provide transport points, if eligible to do so. After they've provided them, the units have their remaining MPs set to Zero.

Cool

quote:

Partial use will set to zero, but the unused carrying capacity is still available for other units within 200 Km of the providing unit.

Also cool.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 6
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 9:54:45 PM   
Boonierat

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Transport points for all providing units within 200 Km of the transported unit's embarkation point are pooled. Depending on the size of the unit being transported and the individual carrying capacities of the providing units, some, or all of them will be counted as used, and MPs set to zero on the providing units. Partial use will set to zero, but the unused carrying capacity is still available for other units within 200 Km of the providing unit.

James, what happens if I reduce the range of the helicopter transport points by half? does units that draw from it will have their airmobile range halved as well?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/25/2007 10:11:03 PM   
Boonierat

Hmm nevermind, can't be changed in the BioEd, mixed it up with the bombardement range

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 8
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 4/26/2007 12:06:27 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

I hate you.

LoL...you did a great job of organizing the salient issues. I just figured I'd give you a hand by expanding on them...

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 9
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/7/2007 8:56:20 PM   
Shawmut

Thanks.  I'll go throught the drill and believe my units and gear get from point to point.  Original message may have been duplicated as I didn't gget this response thread via email.

"Power currupts".... But someone must govern!

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 10
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/8/2007 8:55:44 PM   
sapper32

Have had the same problem and could see no reason for it,i moved other US Airmobile units no problemo but other just didnt want to get on the damn chopper???

(in reply to Shawmut)
Post #: 11
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/8/2007 9:14:57 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Have had the same problem and could see no reason for it,i moved other US Airmobile units no problemo but other just didnt want to get on the damn chopper???

Then it sounds like you used all* of your available transport capacity within 200 Km of the unit you intended on moving.

* or enough of it so that the remaining capacity in range of the unit was less than its weight.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 12
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/8/2007 10:04:20 PM   
sapper32

I moved entire aircav units after that one,maybe it was a HQ unit is there anything to stop me dropping off a HQ unit near a enemy controled hex ???

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/8/2007 10:54:10 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

I moved entire aircav units after that one,maybe it was a HQ unit is there anything to stop me dropping off a HQ unit near a enemy controled hex ???

Ahh...yes. As in airdrops, you cannot airmobile an HQ, or artillery, into an enemy owned hex. You will first need to secure the LZ with a non-ranged combat unit.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 14
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/8/2007 11:19:50 PM   
sapper32

Cheers i think that has solved that one for me,bloody remfs

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 15
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/10/2007 7:00:55 AM   
Shawmut

OK.  For the second night in a row I'll read (and parse) 11.6.  As it is now I feel like Barnums 'sucker born every minute' and I wake up to the same reality every time I approach these damn whirly-birds.
Right now, they serve as a reality - like the American Media.  I just send them to a conflict point so they can take great pride and scoff at their own units being killed (because they hogged the useless transports). I can just hear them saying, I acted smart or else I'd be in Iraq. Cute little icons though.  (Maybe they could serve as battle tour wagons.)
I will keep trying to grasp this - - just to PO those who are laughing.

"Power currupts".... But someone must govern!

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 16
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/10/2007 8:54:17 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shawmut

OK.  For the second night in a row I'll read (and parse) 11.6.  As it is now I feel like Barnums 'sucker born every minute' and I wake up to the same reality every time I approach these damn whirly-birds.
Right now, they serve as a reality - like the American Media.  I just send them to a conflict point so they can take great pride and scoff at their own units being killed (because they hogged the useless transports). I can just hear them saying, I acted smart or else I'd be in Iraq. Cute little icons though.  (Maybe they could serve as battle tour wagons.)
I will keep trying to grasp this - - just to PO those who are laughing.

Keep in mind that if you move the transport helos on turn n, you must wait until turn n+1 to use them to transport units.

(in reply to Shawmut)
Post #: 17
RE: Transport Helo's, etc. - 5/10/2007 3:42:05 PM   
Erik Nygaard

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

Ahh...yes. As in airdrops, you cannot airmobile an HQ, or artillery, into an enemy owned hex. You will first need to secure the LZ with a non-ranged combat unit.

The funny thing is that you can move a HQ around in enemy territory on a recon mission and after the movement points are spent it will return to its original location. The spotted enemy units remain spotted.
But can't move the helicopter unit by itself onto enemy territory.
This is inconsistent, but one could use this to create recon air units although with a 200km max range.

Edit: Also, the helicopter may fly through enemy territory if the end location is either sea or friendly

< Message edited by Erik Nygaard -- 5/10/2007 3:52:20 PM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Transport Helo's, etc. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI