Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is TCP/IP Supported?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/3/2007 3:27:08 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat
Norden, just invade froonp, he'll surrender immediately like they always do and in about 2-3 years someone from here will have to go rescue him ^_^

What a real fun SOB you are. You should consider a career on stage.
Maybe you forgot who allowed you to get free from the English during your independence war.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 31
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/4/2007 1:03:07 AM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Norden, just invade froonp, he'll surrender immediately like they always do and in about 2-3 years someone from here will have to go rescue him ^_^

What a real fun SOB you are. You should consider a career on stage.
Maybe you forgot who allowed you to get free from the English during your independence war.

Lafayette and his cousins and we still love Lafayette and even tried several times to pay him and his decendants for his service. You came here once and it was half-hearted (Lafayette had to beg his cousin to bring up the Caribbean fleet to Yorktown and Rochambeau spent the whole war except Yorktown pretty much sitting safely in Rhode Island instead of fighting). We came to your aid with all that we could in 1812, 1914, 1941 and 1955 receiving nothing for our troubles while restoring you to your lands (obviously not the ones Nappy sold to us, I mean we bought those after all). We have been, and continue to be, your military shield.

We avoided your civil wars, you chose piracy against us in 1798 and 1806, interfered in our civil war and tried to subjugate Mexico while doing it. You would not even let us fly over your nation so we could get Libya for unprovoked attacks.

While intended as a dig at French military prowess, especially as of late, it does have some backing in history.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 32
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/4/2007 10:27:06 PM   
La Provence

quote:

You would not even let us fly over your nation so we could get Libya ...

Wrong.
It's the official version
In fact, USAF use some french airport for logistic and.....

No comment about your historical/political opinion.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 33
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/4/2007 11:09:12 PM   
Murat

OK Lafayette and Le Resistance (obviously who helped us at the airports) helped but the government can be downright hostile at times and that hurts our feelings    It's really all DeGaulle's fault.
Clementine Churchill, who admired de Gaulle, once cautioned him, “General, you must not hate your friends more than you hate your enemies.” De Gaulle himself stated famously, “France has no friends, only interests.”

(in reply to La Provence)
Post #: 34
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/4/2007 11:19:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Allow me to say for the first and hopefully last time to everyone in this thread, NO POLITICS. We are all wargamers, let's focus on what unites us!

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 35
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/5/2007 12:56:21 AM   
JavaJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Allow me to say for the first and hopefully last time to everyone in this thread, NO POLITICS. We are all wargamers, let's focus on what unites us!

That's right! Let's make a wargame about fighting AND politics that way we can play the devious games politicians play!...

Now if someone can make a good 7 player political game..

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/5/2007 1:11:49 AM   
Murat

What politics? It was historical commentary. The French were awesome with Nappy without him they are not. Sheesh you would think being so close to New Hampshire you would know what political discussion looks like. As wargamers almost nothing unites us - we are WAR gamers, we fight, it's what we do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JavaJoe
Let's make a wargame about fighting AND politics that way we can play the devious games politicians play!...

Now if someone can make a good 7 player political game..

Uhhhhh....EIA maybe?

< Message edited by Murat -- 12/5/2007 1:17:35 AM >

(in reply to JavaJoe)
Post #: 37
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/5/2007 6:31:57 AM   
jamo262

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Why this is censorship most foul
And tyranny of the highest order!

What heartless soul can stand by and see blessed freedom of
thought and conscience trammeled into the mire thus?

Brothers! A call to arms against this attack on
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Happiness!

< Message edited by jamo262 -- 12/5/2007 6:32:43 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 38
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/5/2007 6:15:49 PM   
Peeking Duck?

Aside from the politics - did we ever get a definitive answer whether this will eventually support TCP/IP, or will it take an (Dear Lord please no) all new version of the game ?

(in reply to jamo262)
Post #: 39
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 12/6/2007 12:40:01 AM   
Marshall Ellis

No we did not answer this yet because we do not have an answer yet. We are going to focus on critical issues first then we will evaluate our roadmap going forward. As we said, the EiA community wanted PBEM way more than IP so that was what we focused on more so to keep from delaying release any more than what it was.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Peeking Duck?)
Post #: 40
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/5/2008 6:38:28 PM   
tonedog

im thinkin of buyin this game as a replacement for COG. ive read that the AI in single payer aint that hot and that its a much better multi player game. ive never really been a fan of pbem as the game progresses much to slowly, id much rather have a decent gaming session a week.

does or will this game support tcp/ip gaming?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 41
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/5/2008 8:13:40 PM   
AresMars

Tonedog,

The game does not currently support TCP/IP gaming.

The WHEN IT WILL is currently an unknown....you are stuck with AI or PBEM for the moment....

(in reply to tonedog)
Post #: 42
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/5/2008 9:36:24 PM   
tonedog

the main thing thats puts me off buyin this game and playin pbem is how slowly it would progress. isnt the average speed of games like this somethin like 1 turn a week?

are there gamers here who play a little more often? say around 3 or 4 turns a week

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 43
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/5/2008 9:43:23 PM   
Grimrod42

PBEM is slow I agree ... but I doubt if there will be any other option

best idea is to get the table top game and play be video conference

< Message edited by Grimrod42 -- 2/5/2008 9:45:05 PM >

(in reply to tonedog)
Post #: 44
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 4:10:28 AM   
lavisj

quote:

Lafayette and his cousins and we still love Lafayette and even tried several times to pay him and his decendants for his service. You came here once and it was half-hearted (Lafayette had to beg his cousin to bring up the Caribbean fleet to Yorktown and Rochambeau spent the whole war except Yorktown pretty much sitting safely in Rhode Island instead of fighting). We came to your aid with all that we could in 1812, 1914, 1941 and 1955 receiving nothing for our troubles while restoring you to your lands (obviously not the ones Nappy sold to us, I mean we bought those after all). We have been, and continue to be, your military shield.

We avoided your civil wars, you chose piracy against us in 1798 and 1806, interfered in our civil war and tried to subjugate Mexico while doing it. You would not even let us fly over your nation so we could get Libya for unprovoked attacks.

While intended as a dig at French military prowess, especially as of late, it does have some backing in history.

Murat, since you like historical discussion let' see:
Even if Rochambeau and the French fleet were only decisive at Yorktown it is their doing that sealed the fate of Lord Cornwallis.

Now about your other notes:
1812: The US did not declare war on Britain in order to help France since at the time the US was actually not that friendly with France due to the incessant war between France and England at sea which took US neutral ships in the crossfire. The reason to the war of 1812 are well known and none were an interest into helping France. In any case, the US intervention in the war did not influence the European wars.

1914: I am sure you mean 1917. And on this one I agree that the US had a very clear helping hand motive.

1941: If my memory serves me right the US only entered the war in Europe after a DoW from Germany and Italy. And if memory also serves me right, the US wanted to impose a military occupation of France, and even had printed their own money. It was only the sudden resurection of a French civil authority that prohibited the AMGOT from being applied to France.

1955? I am not sure what you are refering to? Are you refering to Indochina, in which case the war ended in 1954, nd it is true that military aid was given by the US, but no other involvement. Or are talking about Algeria which really started in 1954? In this case the US actually had mixed feelings. Initially supporting the French effort (but only reluctantly) to finally play a part in the collapse of the French government in 1958. Most of the aid the US gave was through NATO allowing redeployment of troops and giving arms to the French army.

Now the only time that those intervention restored France to its land was WWII, and we are gratefull.

Now, I do not know which civil war you are talking about, as France did not have civil war in the period 1783-2008. So I would assume that of course you stayed out of it.

Piracy in 1798 and 1806? I am not sure I understand what you are talking about. The real issue at hand was one of right of neutral nation in conflicts and the issue of countraband of war, which did plague the relations between France and the US during that whole period. And the US navy took punitive actions during the Quasi War.

France did not interfere in the US Civil War. I do not know where you get that information. Of course Sewell (the US secretary of state) had asked Lincoln to declare war on both Britain and France.... which Lincoln wisely refused.... but that is another story.

The operation in Mexico is none of the US business, and actually the US sent arms and volunteers to fight the French there, so I would have to say that the US were the one who interfered into French affairs in Mexico.

As for Lybia.... maybee France would have allowed it if the US had not asked permission as the mission was being launched.

Of course we could add the Suez affair where the US went overtly against France, Britain and Israel. If you want an event that drastically changed the nature of French - US relation for a long, very long period, this is the one.

Now if you want to pock at French military prowess, I suggest you actually bring facts to back it up instead of just rehashing anti-french propaganda.... and get your facts straight.

< Message edited by lavisj -- 2/6/2008 4:15:58 AM >

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 45
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 9:28:43 AM   
tonedog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grimrod42

PBEM is slow I agree ... but I doubt if there will be any other option

best idea is to get the table top game and play be video conference

or the devs couldve just used a wego turn system and implemented tcp play! some else posted and said mp games that use pbem can take up to a year and sometimes longer to complete. is it any wonder that games such as these sell so few copies?

i would love to play this game againsy other opponents, but not for the length of time it would take

< Message edited by tonedog -- 2/6/2008 9:29:59 AM >

(in reply to Grimrod42)
Post #: 46
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 9:53:53 AM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

No we did not answer this yet because we do not have an answer yet. We are going to focus on critical issues first then we will evaluate our roadmap going forward. As we said, the EiA community wanted PBEM way more than IP so that was what we focused on more so to keep from delaying release any more than what it was.

PBEM first is a good call IMHO. Sometimes people forget that not everyone lives in the same timezone. As someone who lives in the GMT+8 TZ I really appreciate being able to play a game by PBEM, playing in real time with Americans or Europeans is generally not an option because of time differences.

Moop

Post #: 47
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 1:46:43 PM   
tonedog

yeah i appreciate that pbem suits people like yourself for that reason. the thing that winds me up is that i cant realistically play MP with this game (games takin at leasy a YEAR to finish is a major turn off) which means that theres no point in me buyin it. im in the UK, i dunno how many people on these forums have the game but there must be a fair few europeans who are in or near my timezone who would be up for playin this game at least once a week over tcp!

but that wont happen cos this game doesnt have that function. how hard could it have been to include this? could they not have added a wego turn system like COG for example?

i doubt it will ever happen though cos this game has a I GO U GO turn system and they would have to change that which i doubt is possible

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 48
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 3:07:33 PM   
La Provence

quote:

ORIGINAL: lavisj

Now if you want to pock at French military prowess, I suggest you actually bring facts to back it up instead of just rehashing anti-french propaganda.... and get your facts straight.

Perhaps you want to speak about the military shield in Somalia !
.... US army disembark in the night with all the beach lighted by the TV and the photograph . Very impressive but not military !
And the departure........ protected by the elite french army. It seems an escape, not a victory parade ( I forgot : no TV and photograph for this ).

Perhaps it's for this reason that US army is "out" for African missions ?

(in reply to lavisj)
Post #: 49
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 3:43:05 PM   
HanBarca

Go ahead with PBEM, Marshall. I'll never understand all this TCP/IP hype.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

Post #: 50
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 6:19:41 PM   
timewalker03

Go ahead with TCP/IP, Marshall. I'll never understand all this PBEM hype.

(in reply to HanBarca)
Post #: 51
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/6/2008 10:17:44 PM   
baboune

Why not simplify the TCP/IP issues with one machine acting as a host (server) only.  And players connecting as a client to send  move/turn info.

And then email notifications to the players who is supposed to play next.

This way you do not have to be online to play and you do not have to upload /save files.

It is really similar to PBEM without the cumbesomeness of moving emails around.

Something similar to Dominions 2 & 3 ... http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm

Post #: 52
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 12:36:09 AM   
zaquex

client server tcp/ip seems to be the absolute best way to go.

(in reply to baboune)
Post #: 53
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 1:43:22 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: baboune

Why not simplify the TCP/IP issues with one machine acting as a host (server) only.  And players connecting as a client to send  move/turn info.

And then email notifications to the players who is supposed to play next.

This way you do not have to be online to play and you do not have to upload /save files.

It is really similar to PBEM without the cumbesomeness of moving emails around.

Something similar to Dominions 2 & 3 ... http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm

I had assumed that he conversation was talking about this, but now that you point it out maybe it wasn't. That said, any other idea (say p2p) has problems that are easily taken care of in a client/server environment.

(in reply to baboune)
Post #: 54
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 2:49:00 AM   
HanBarca

Too bad I cannot post polls, I'd be really curious to see how many among the TCP/IP fans have actually tried to play a game with other 6 human players.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 55
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 5:29:27 AM   
timewalker03

I have played many FtF, and by both Snail Mail and Email. Any game with the word mail behind it sucks and is a slow process. The one thing about this topic that actually bothers me is that it should actually be a choice to allow client to host play. There are people out there who would probably make it work. If it is not for someone then the PBEM feature is there also. In FtF games people quit just as would be in PBEM or Tcp/Ip play. Getting seven players to my house is nearly impossible today, but getting seven people to network for an hour or two each weekend for realtime play would be easier since the only place they would have to go is their computer and not travel anywhere. Also with all of the realtime voice servers available today you could add the feature of diplomacy by voice over a Vetrilo server or Teamspeak server etc. And yes it would be tough for people who are on different continents to play each other without some form of dedication. If someone really wanted to play live with people they would make it work. You could form clubs as they seem to work even with people and the dynamic of busy schedules. TCP/IP would not be for everyone, but allowing it to be an option would be a great enhancement to this game since single player vs the AI is basically worthless once you beat it and get past its poor play.

(in reply to HanBarca)
Post #: 56
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 6:14:27 AM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

Too bad I cannot post polls, I'd be really curious to see how many among the TCP/IP fans have actually tried to play a game with other 6 human players.

This is a in my oppinion strange question. Could you elaborate on what you want to know and for what purpose this question is relevant.

(in reply to HanBarca)
Post #: 57
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 7:07:52 AM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

quote:

This is a in my oppinion strange question. Could you elaborate on what you want to know and for what purpose this question is relevant.

Probably two possible aspects of relevance (though I'm not the original poster):

1) Its hard getting even 2-3-4 known guys who are not physically located at the same house/club/whatever to participate at known times for known lengths of time via tcp/ip - look at any tcpip multiplayer games for proof of this...RTW/NTW2/M2TW even World of Warcraft. Generally tcp/ip seems to work best at collecting ad-hoc players together for reasonably quick (1-2 hour) games of something.

2) I've not personally tried PBEM yet, but perhaps its not a difficult as some are proposing. Time consuming yes, but then, this is not a game thats meant to be started and finished within the same evening.

Regards,
Moopere

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 58
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 4:34:57 PM   
timewalker03

One other thing TCP/IP would be good for is playing the EIA Scenarios. Well it will be when they are released if they ever are since most are short and easy to play and not as intensive as the grand campaign is. TCP/IP should be and should have been an option from the start.

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 59
RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? - 2/7/2008 4:41:00 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

I have played A LOT of EiA GC games with all 7 countries represented.

Do you mean via TCP/IP? I haven't ever owned a game played via TCP/IP that requires 7 players.

PBEM and TCP/IP face the same challenges as FtF games do. It's hard to get people to stick to the game.

It has been mentioned though that if you only have 2-4 players, maybe TCP/IP becomes a real option. It is certainly a real option for the scenarios.

The argument against TCP/IP has to be: It's not worth the time to implement.

And I don't agree. TCP/IP play is not that tricky to implement for an experienced network programmer and will, particularly if they release scenarios or mods that allow scenario creation, be totally worthwhile.

(in reply to HanBarca)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Is TCP/IP Supported? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI