Is TCP/IP Supported?

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

ETF

Is TCP/IP Supported?

Post by ETF »

Or is this still using the ancient idea of PBEM :)

Also why with the old style UGo IGO routine. Could you have it WEGO? Seems much more realistic no?

Just my two cents............
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
denisonh

RE: Is TCP/IP Supported?

Post by denisonh »

PBEM may be "ancient", but many getting 4-7 people together for a set time period on a regular basis is difficult, if not impossible, if they have jobs and families. Given the IGO/UGO format, one player would be sitting on his hands while the other player goes. Needs to be a WEGO format for that to work.

As for WEGO, this game is a port of a board game and as such, has to be IGO/UGO. The chances for an "innovative and fresh" apprach for a Napoleonic game left the buidling when they took on a port of "Empires in Arms"......
ORIGINAL: ETF

Also why with the old style UGo IGO routine. Could you have it WEGO? Seems much more realistic no?

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
Alan_Bernardo

Post by Alan_Bernardo »

Besides not knowing if TCP/IP is supported, I'm not even sure EiA is supported.

This game will never be released.

Alan
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

ORIGINAL: Alan_Bernardo

Besides not knowing if TCP/IP is supported, I'm not even sure EiA is supported.

This game will never be released.

Alan

If so, then why bother reading and posting in the forum? Or was that simply a public service announcement?

I do believe the game will eventually get released, I just hope it is not a coaster.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: denisonh
I do believe the game will eventually get released, I just hope it is not a coaster.
Even then, you could use it under your coffee in that convenient beverage holder that pops out of your computer when you push the right button.

I really wanted this game to be what it was initially announced to be, a new game systen presenting the "Napoleonic Wars" for your gaming pleasure. I was even amenable to it morphing into a port ("morphing into a port" = one of the favorite fun creations of an idle mind waiting for publication) of ADG's EiA, a boardgame I have played fairly extensively, enjoyed to some degree, then shelved due to its various flaws and idiosyncrasies.

Still, I keep the faith (on low flame, back burner on my Coleman stove here where I watch the final disintegration of Western civilization...).
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
1LTRambo

Post by 1LTRambo »

Well, there is Crown of Glory, which I have my issues with. But, I have it to play.
What is IGO/UGO?[&:] I've not herd of this before.
Matthew T. Rambo
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

You know what it is, maybe not the label

WEGO is a game like WitP, where both players plans are executed simultaneously
IGO/UGO is the standard board game turn phasing with one player going (I go) then the other player going (U go): i.e. like Chess
ORIGINAL: 1LTRambo

Well, there is Crown of Glory, which I have my issues with. But, I have it to play.
What is IGO/UGO?[&:] I've not herd of this before.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: denisonh
IGO/UGO is the standard board game turn phasing with one player going (I go) then the other player going (U go): i.e. like Chess
The man is, as always, right on the money.

WEGO was computer wargaming's great gift to the hobby, but I think the rush in that direction has left subtle possibilities latent in the IGO-YUGO dynamic behind. You can build subphases of interactivity into IGO-YUGO that are not available, or at least awkward, in a WEGO design.

Think, for example, of the various action-counteraction points in the great old VG "Fleet" series of modern naval warfare games that depicted aerial-reconnaissance-and-combat and surface-submarine-combat so excellently.

Of course, such systems make PBEM laborious, if not impossible.

So, do we keep moving toward designs that feature PBEM and sell 250 copies each while the hobby dies (and all the 21st century gremlins move on to playing clickety-clickety-bang-bang console games), or do we try to revitalize the computer wargaming business along the lines of delivering what it originally promised: "play head-to-head, or, when you don't have a human opponent, your computer can give you a good game"?
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
1LTRambo

Post by 1LTRambo »

Thanks. You were right, I'm familiar with the concept but not the term.[:)]
Matthew T. Rambo
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

Seeing that the game is near release, I'm sorry to ask the question but it is important for me : what about TCP/IP play ?

Is it included in the released version ?
If not, will it be included in future patch ?
If future patch, is it on high priority ? (I mean, can we be confident that TCP/IP play will be added soon ?)
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Froonp:

We cannot say yet. We always intended not to release IP in 1.00 but if it were to be added then as an update. Our first priorities will be to respond to any bugs that we find in the initial releases that are critical to game play thus IP options will be on the back burner until the PBEM / Hotseat issues flatten out. Frankly, IP was not as big of a requirement from the EiA community since PBEM allowed people around to the world to play their turns on their own schedules. If I remember correctly, getting people from around the world to get in front of a PC at the same time was a problem.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

Have to agree Froonp - and the same goes for WiF

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Froonp:

We cannot say yet. We always intended not to release IP in 1.00 but if it were to be added then as an update. Our first priorities will be to respond to any bugs that we find in the initial releases that are critical to game play thus IP options will be on the back burner until the PBEM / Hotseat issues flatten out. Frankly, IP was not as big of a requirement from the EiA community since PBEM allowed people around to the world to play their turns on their own schedules. If I remember correctly, getting people from around the world to get in front of a PC at the same time was a problem.

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Froonp:

That looks like a "no", and its sad, because a friend and I would have bought EiA to play it TCP/IP (he lives 1000 km from me, in the same timezone). He told me that if it was to PBEM it was a no no, and I won't play it alone, so I think this will be a "No" until the game comes out with TCP/IP play.

I think you're wrong in believing that "getting people from around the world to get in front of a PC at the same time was a problem", it is an US centered point of view that we do not have here in Europe where we are all roughly in the same time zone. Here we would have the same problems at getting people to get in front of a PC at the same time as we have at getting people to get around the game table at the same time. As we manage to do it for real boardgames, and we manage to do it for Vassal online games, we also can manage to do it for TCP/IP games.

For comparison, MWiF is designed to include TCP/IP play, and this makes no doubt in the head of the designers that this is necessary.
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Froonp:

I did not say no. We will listen to the community as we have in the past. This issue is not a belief of mine but a question we asked the community and PBEM was WAY up above IP play.

Do not dispair...
I can never say never but I also cannot predict what the masses will ask for tomorrow...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hey Froonp,

Why won't your friend do PBEM play?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JavaJoe

Post by JavaJoe »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hey Froonp,

Regards,

- Erik

Froonp,

Make new friends that play it pbem. There will be plenty of people that can use you.

Joe
Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hey Froonp,

Regards,

- Erik
Because it is too slow to wait for the other sides' turn, when in reality EiA is a fast paced game face to face (and so TCP/IP). Turns can be played really quickly when you know the game, so playing 10 minutes and waiting for the other player (maybe for days) for playing again 10 minutes is not worth the money. Playing through Vassal is much more thrill.
Murat

Post by Murat »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
Because it is too slow to wait for the other sides' turn, when in reality EiA is a fast paced game face to face (and so TCP/IP). Turns can be played really quickly when you know the game, so playing 10 minutes and waiting for the other player (maybe for days) for playing again 10 minutes is not worth the money. Playing through Vassal is much more thrill.

We did 12 hour Saturdays for 5 months to finish a FtF game with diplomacy limited to 15 min per phase. You can easily fill up the time between moves but creating nefarious plots to overthrow your neighbors
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

Exactly. Sitting at your own leisure studying the map, formulating plans and having time to discuss it at length with other players and kibitzers. IP for a game like this is almost violating it, its a thinking game. IP and fancy graphics, always the same. Can I have a first person perspective and a gun please? [;)]

one more week to go,
Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Norden

Exactly. Sitting at your own leisure studying the map, formulating plans and having time to discuss it at length with other players and kibitzers. IP for a game like this is almost violating it, its a thinking game. IP and fancy graphics, always the same. Can I have a first person perspective and a gun please? [;)]

one more week to go,
IP does not mean its not a thinking game, and does not mean either that it is an FPS.
You have strange concepts of IP gaming. Dismaying.

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”