Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 7:59:46 AM   
Alex Fiedler

Matrix Games and Tri Synergy have partnered up to bring X-COM fans something familiar but still very different

Matrix Games and Tri Synergy, Inc. (www.trisynergy.com) are excited to announce that they have reached a publishing agreement for the online distribution of UFO: Extraterrestrials. Matrix Games has agreed to use their fast and reliable digital download service to bring the highly anticipated tactical/grand strategy blend to hard drives all over the world.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “UFO: Extraterrestrials will no doubt serve as a highly anticipated release for fans of the X-COM series. With its streamlined interface and smooth learning curve, UFO: Extraterrestrials will be a fantastic addition to the Matrix Games lineup. We’re very pleased to be working with Tri Synergy and Chaos Concepts to put this great sequel on gamers’ hard drives.”

Shane Nestler from Tri Synergy added, “The excitement has been steadily building over the course of UFO: Extraterrestrials’ development. We’re positively elated that we’ve teamed up with Matrix Games again to assure the maximum availability of UFO: Extraterrestrials to everyone that’s been eagerly awaiting this title.”

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders. To accomplish this, the player will have at their disposal squads of soldiers, light and heavy support combat vehicles, robots and air units located in bases throughout the Esperanza. Only through controlling the skies with intense real-time fighter-to-fighter combat and utilizing tactical-level factors like terrain and cover will the player win fierce battles and, eventually, the war against the immutable malevolence that is this alien onslaught!

Get more information on UFO: Extraterrestrials from the official Tri Synergy webpage and be sure to take a look at the new screenshots that are hot off the presses!
Post #: 1
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 4:52:01 PM   
LarryP

I'm anxiously awaiting it! I loved the XCom games. Great news!

I remember those blasted little aliens were always appearing around corners and in the worst places when I was out of ammo. It kept me coming back for more.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/28/2007 5:03:43 PM >

(in reply to Alex Fiedler)
Post #: 2
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 4:52:25 PM   
Bismarck

Bravo!  Here's the real deal!

Jim Cobb

Post #: 3
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 5:39:29 PM   
Marc von Martial

I need to quit Matrix then. Need time to play, hehe.

X-com was is of my alltime favs.

Marc von Martial

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 4
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 5:45:21 PM   
Bismarck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

I need to quit Matrix then. Need time to play, hehe.

X-com was is of my alltime favs.

Naw, just ask for compassionate leave,

X-Com is the only game I actually worked to make run on XP. I still play it.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 5
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 6:39:36 PM   
sprior

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to this site with a credit card in your wallet...

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 6
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 7:06:35 PM   
Melnibone

My wife is going to hate this game

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 7:26:45 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to this site with a credit card in your wallet...

ROFL! Mine is under the LCD right in front of me.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 7:32:36 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melnibone

My wife is going to hate this game

You would never guess what my wife said last night... "One can never have too many games." I about had a heart attack! I said "Boy would the people at Matrix love you!" She is playing Oblivion on her PC at night when not doing chores. It took me almost thirteen-years to get her interested in PC gaming and now she is hooked on RPG's and Adventure games. Sure makes it easier when I buy (charge) another game!

(in reply to Melnibone)
Post #: 9
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 8:01:41 PM   
Justascratch

I took a look at the screenshots. I know you can't really evaluate gameplay by viewing static images, but it looks like they are keeping very close to the original X-Com series. Smart.

Post #: 10
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 8:38:13 PM   
Bismarck

Yeah, I think that's why Afterwhatever faiked, deviating frpm the original.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 11
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 8:46:07 PM   
Hard Sarge

the After games are good, the trouble is, everybody wanted them to be XCOM new, when they wern't designed to be

so they took a hit, because they were not what the fans wanted, not that the games themselfs were not good (I close to the end in Afterlight,)

now to find out when they plan on getting it up on DR, I got it preordered else where, hopefully it will be here first, so I can cancell my order

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 12
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 10:02:02 PM   
LarryP

I just looked up UFO: Aftershock at GameSpot and it got a 4.0. I hope this next one is improved.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 13
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 10:19:49 PM   
goodboyladdie

Is there any news from the beta testers for this game?

On that subject, HS, stop playing so many games and get Eagle Day to BTR out please....

Post #: 14
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 10:21:28 PM   
Terminus

Aftershock had about a billion bugs in it, and most of them couldn't be shot by the player. The next one after that, Afterlight... well that one's just annoying...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 15
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/28/2007 11:07:57 PM   
Bismarck

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I just looked up UFO: Aftershock at GameSpot and it got a 4.0. I hope this next one is improved.

Different developer, different publisher; makes all the differenve.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 12:20:05 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

quote:

Different developer, different publisher; makes all the differenve.

Not always, maybe not that often. Is it the same core of code, engine? I don't know of many games at a 4.0 rating that got picked up by anybody and made that much better. The only ones I know of were good when they changed hands. TOAW3 is one fine example. I have both versions before that and they are excellent.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/29/2007 12:26:35 AM >

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 17
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 1:15:39 AM   
Bromley

Despite the name, I believe that it's a totally, 100% different engine.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 18
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 1:17:39 AM   
Spooky

quote:

UFO: Extraterrestrials

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a game developped by Chaos Concept : http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ ... and it seems that they were trying to be quite close to the old X-Com 1 & 2 games (aka UFO-Enemy unknown in some european countries)developped by Julian Gollop and Nick Gollop for Microprose.

The Altar games - which include UFO:Aftershock and UFO:Afterlight - are a different breed and should not be compared to the old X-Com 1 & 2 or even to UFO: Extraterrestrials since the developpers are different and the game concepts are not really close (ie : real-time vs turn-based, no real strategic layer, simplified base management ...).

By the way, IGN just named the old X-Com the best game ever ... : http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772285p3.html

Visit Spooky's UV & WITP Fansite !

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 19
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 4:00:27 AM   
pasternakski

Oh, goody. Space Invaders re-warmed in the microwave for the hundredth time.

Meanwhile, games the core Matrix customer base have been awaiting for years fiddle and diddle along without any apparent progress.

If Matrix just wants to be a distribution whore (sort of an online gamers K-Mart), it should drop the pretense of being some "we are dedicated to revitalization and development of the traditional computer wargaming genre" savior and let those of us who tried to believe in them ever since their inception go our way and forget about it.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 20
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 4:46:46 AM   
Bismarck

I've seen some ill-informed, trollish posts but this one takes the cake. I bet you're one of the first to complain about releasing unfinished ganes.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 21
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 4:55:29 AM   
LitFuel

So this is just for the digital download then right?...I'll want the manual etc... so I guess I have to keep my other order.

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 22
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 5:18:07 AM   
gunny

quote:

So what. Its bad journalism.
Gamespot doesn't know how to evaluate tactical role playing games. After shock was pretty good. I finished it. They also gave Brigade E5 a 4.5 score. Another tactical RP game. BE5 is the best game I've playe in years. Gamespot is out to lunch. Unless its warhammer or some codemaster game it gets a really low score.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 23
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 5:28:44 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

I've seen some ill-informed, trollish posts but this one takes the cake. I bet you're one of the first to complain about releasing unfinished ganes.

Respond to the substance of my post instead of immediately becoming insulting. I made an assertion. You don't like it, answer wth argument, not dung flinging.

Review my posts before you make statements about what I say when I post.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Bismarck)
Post #: 24
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 5:36:22 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny

So what. Its bad journalism.
Gamespot doesn't know how to evaluate tactical role playing games. After shock was pretty good. I finished it. They also gave Brigade E5 a 4.5 score. Another tactical RP game. BE5 is the best game I've playe in years. Gamespot is out to lunch. Unless its warhammer or some codemaster game it gets a really low score.

PC-Gamer gave UFO Aftershock a 51/100 in the Feb 01-2006 issue.

Are you referring to Brigade E5: New Jagged Union? If so it got a 3.5 not 4.5 and the combined ratings from nine commercial sources gave it a 4.1. I prefer to take all the ratings I can find and come to an educated conclusion before I spend a penny.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/29/2007 5:51:44 AM >

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 25
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 6:01:59 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

So this is just for the digital download then right?...I'll want the manual etc... so I guess I have to keep my other order.

We will be printing a full color manual with our Game On Demand edition.

David

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 26
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 7:54:35 AM   
CraigDeaton

I'm really happy to hear this. I'd been waiting for this game and was annoyed when they missed the initial release date back in the Jan/Feb timeframe. I had assumed it died the death of so many other games that are announced and never released.

I tend to agree that the other recent X-Com follow-on's have been pale shadows of the original, but I keep hoping that someone will finally get it right again. I've got more faith in Matrix to release a good product than I would any other company (unfixxed sound bugs in Starshatter notwithstanding...)

Count me in on this one.

Semper Fi,
Craig

It's always pilot error. Sometimes the idiot just doesn't know how to fly a broken aircraft.

Post #: 27
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 8:24:42 AM   
Texashawk

Wow. Just wow. I thought this was one of those games that would never actually see the light of day, and I'm shocked that Matrix would publish something like this. Seems a little outside their normal genre. That said, freakin' bravo Matrix for taking a chance on a title like this! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised just *how* much of a market there is for a truly worthy sucessor to X-Com...

(in reply to CraigDeaton)
Post #: 28
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 12:26:13 PM   
Bromley

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Respond to the substance of my post instead of immediately becoming insulting. I made an assertion. You don't like it, answer wth argument, not dung flinging.

Review my posts before you make statements about what I say when I post.

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with Matrix distributing a game that's already been developed. Is that really going to slow down the release of, say, Guns of August?

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 29
RE: UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix - 3/29/2007 3:15:00 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

Is there any news from the beta testers for this game?

On that subject, HS, stop playing so many games and get Eagle Day to BTR out please....

don't want to steal the thread, drop by our fourm and ask some stuff and I can tell you what is going on

and

I was playing Aftershock and Aftermath before EDtBTR got started, not since :)

David, any idea on the time line for release ? I got the game preordered, but I would rather spend my money with you then with someone else

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> UFO: Extraterrestrials Heads into the Matrix Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI