Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 Part 2: What are those things on the map?

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

JSS

Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 Part 2: What are those things on the map?

Post by JSS »

Lesson #1 Part 2: What are those things on the map?

***********VICTORY POINT OBJECTIVES ***********

There are three ways to earn victory points (and the side with the most victory points wins the game!):

1. Destroy units
2. Capture Victory Point Objectives (Note: A side can only “capture” a VP objective that it does not control at the start of the game… capture only gives victory points once).
3. Control Victory Point Objectives

Finding the Victory Point Objectives.

There’s two easy ways to find the VP Objectives:

1. Use the “u” (units visible) hotkey to remove all units from view (they return to view by pressing “u” hotkey again).

Next use the “i” (VP indicator visible) hotkey to display the VP indicators. There are three settings to the “i” hotkey: all indicators, important indicators, no indicators.

Finally use the “c” (city name visible) hotkey to display the town names associated with the objectives. The town names are color coded to indicate side control (blue indicates Axis control, Orange is Allied control). Town names also have three hotkey settings: all, important, none.

Here’s a look at all the VP objectives in the tutorial.

Northern Map Area:

Central Map Area:

Southern Map Area:

Now let’s take a look at a specific VP Objective hex (5, 64), the Embassy Square. This is firmly in Blueland (Axis) Control so only the Axis side is gaining points for control at this point.

A right click pop up on the hex reveals that there is separate info on the VP Objective for the Axis and the Allies. Moving the mouse pointer over each side’s indicator provides details.

2. The second way (& quickest!) to identify the objectives is to use the F9 hotkey. The VP Objective hexes become shaded and display the points available to each side in the hexes.

***********SUPPLY SOURCES ***********

Knowing where your supply sources are located is critical to success in the game. Supply sources can be map edge, supply depot (dump) on the map, airdrop dump, or invasion beach source. Typically invasion beach sources don’t work for a turn or two after you control the hex they’re located in…

Here’s a quick look at the supply sources available to the Axis in the Southern map area.

Right clicking on hex (1, 59) shows that there is an Axis supply source located there.

Ending the Axis turn brings up the Allied turn 1. The picture below shows where the Allies have four invasion beach supply sources that are inactive (waiting for the Allies to land and take control of the hexes).

The Allies have 8 standard on map supply depots.

Finally, the Allies start in control of two special supply depots… the Oilwell Fields. These supply depots will operate for both sides (provides supply to the side controlling the VP Objective hex that they’re located in).

JudgeDredd

RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 Part 2: What are those things on the map?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Can I point out, as a person "on the edge" about buying, that these tutorials have absolutely changed my mind about the game in terms of depth, and that these should absolutely have been a feature of the game.

It's for two reasons that I have not bought this game...
1. Lack of help for newbies
2. Lack of battles...I personally (and I know that some people feel otherwise) feel that 4 battles from the entire theatre of WWII is extremely stingy...especially seeing as 4 of the previous titles already covered four of those.

I really don't mean to blast the company of the game....I really do not, but I want to take this opportunity to let the developer know why I personally have not purchased this game....so I reiterate...my post is not to put people off the game but to inform the developers.

I am NOT slating the game by any means, I'm simply trying to let the developers know why I have not bought the game...and why these tutorials might change my mind and cannot do any harm to the game...and should've been included in the game.

Forgot to say that I have recently bought orsun Pocket and going through those fantastic tutorials in the manual....but if I hadn't bought Korsun Pocket and moved straight to this, chances are I'd be completely lost because a tutorial/new players have been left out the requirements list.
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Is there a "Hot" Key to identify supply source?
Tony
JSS

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: Treale

Is there a "Hot" Key to identify supply source?

The "s" hotkey highlights your supplied regions (you can back out sources from the info provided). What it really helps you do is find the end of supply distribution. It will also tell you if supply is coming from one of the map supply sources, a supply unit, or from a strongpoint (some strongpoints supply the hex they are located in). It will also tell you if the supply allows regular replacements or not.
GBS

Post by GBS »

What does this mean:

"No IF Modifiers"
"DF Allowed"
"No Hidden Bonus" or "Hidden Bonus: 3"
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
JSS

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: GBS

What does this mean:

"No IF Modifiers"
"DF Allowed"
"No Hidden Bonus" or "Hidden Bonus: 3"

IF = Indirect Fire... in terms of your question, each terrain is assigned a modifier to effectiveness of artilley & air strikes. Modifier affects the chance of an artillery barrage causing damage. Editor allows no modiification up to -4. In terrain with a -4 modifier, you would need artillery that has a normal indirect fire value of 1 or 2 to even get a hit. A -4 modifier means a 1 die (100% hit) artillery unit is now a 5 artillery unit (33% hit).

Direct fire is an on/off (go/no go) setting for each terrain. Obviously tank battles typically take place in open or clear terrain and not often in forest or jungle regions.

Hidden Bonus refers to inherent ability of a unit to hide in the terrain. In jungle terrain a unit is harder to identify than a unit in steppe or desert regions. So in the example above, an attacking unit must be 3 hex equivalents closer to gain info on the defending unit.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: JSS
It will also tell you if supply is coming from one of the map supply sources or a supply unit.......

I have never worked out how to determine this.

How do you determine this?

JSS

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
ORIGINAL: JSS
It will also tell you if supply is coming from one of the map supply sources or a supply unit.......

I have never worked out how to determine this.

How do you determine this?

The supply zone highlight will have a small truck icon present in the hex if it's from a unit.

Return to “Battlefront”