Ship Class Design

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Curtis Lemay

Ship Class Design

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Now that we have an equipment editor, we don't have to restrict ourselves to the generic ship classes that come with TOAW. We can create our own. Those of you that read my "How To..." article on the BioEd may have noticed that I've created a suite of ship classes for my coming update to my Okinawa 1945 scenario. (I've also detailed ship classes for updates to CFNA, France 1944, and Soviet Union 1941, as well).

I thought I would share my method for this (not that it is necessarily the optimum method - that can be a discussion issue here). I've attached the spreadsheet I used to calculate the various parameters.

Note that the data (whenever possible) came from WitP. If you've got WitP, just open the editor and search the classes therein. In some cases, I had to find data on the web.

The formulas I used were as follow:

AP_main = (Relative rate of fire X # main guns X Effect) for the main armament.
AP_secondary = (Relative rate of fire X # secondary guns X Effect) for the secondary armament.
AP_tertiary = (Relative rate of fire X # teritary guns X Effect) for the tertiary armament.

AP_total = (AP_main + (range of secondary)**2/(range of main)**2 X AP_secondary + (range of tertiary)**2/(range of main)**2 X AP_tertiary)/22.67.

Note that secondary and tertiary batteries were only counted if they were not pure AAA guns. Also note the 22.67 scale factor. That was used to make the AP of the Warspite match the generic battleship AP - I arbitrarily set the Warspite as the base standard.

The AP*8 value is necessary for BioEd.

DF = 1.53*(2XDurability + (0.25XDeck Armor + 0.5XBelt Armor + 0.1XTower Armor + 0.15XTurret Armor))

Note that the 1.53 scale factor was again selected to make the Warspite DF match the genereic battleship.

Additonally, DF is also multiplied by an additional factor for ship size/agility.
For BBs/BCs/Monitors, it's 1.
For CAs it's 1.25.
For CLs/CLAAs it's 1.5.
For DDs/DEs it's 3.0

AAA factors are just the sum of AAA ratings (from TOAW) of the AAA or DP guns.

Shell(weight) is derived from Effect (pounds to Kgs).

Km (Range) is a conversion of the WitP "Range" parameter from thousands of yards to km.

Relative rate of fire is relative to the rate of fire of the Warspite. Note that for naval guns, the WitP Accuracy parameter actually is rate of fire.

Note that, since these values will primarily be used for shore bombardment rather than ship to ship combat, I didn't include AP values for torpedos, just guns.

Edit: deleted the attachment to avoid confusion with a subsequent version posted below.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Erik2

RE: Ship Class Design

Post by Erik2 »

Thanks for sharing!

Erik
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

For those of you that don't have Excel, or just don't want to download the attachment, I'll post a couple of screenshots of the results:

Embeded here is the shot of the BBs, BCs, & CAs.

Attachments
ShipClasses1.gif
ShipClasses1.gif (39.34 KiB) Viewed 873 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

And here's the shot of the CLs, CLAAs, DDs, & DEs:

Attachments
ShipClasses2.gif
ShipClasses2.gif (36.08 KiB) Viewed 869 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Veers

Post by Veers »

Awesome. Now, if we can get an improved naval system, these stats will really be able to shine. [:D]
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

One thing to note from these results is how badly Norm was off with the ranges of most of his generic ships below the BB category.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Veers

Post by Veers »

Yeah, he was pretty short on range.
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Veers

Awesome. Now, if we can get an improved naval system, these stats will really be able to shine. [:D]

The ultimate improvement to the naval system would allow us to actually model the ships the way WitP does - in detail. Then we could finally treat ships like they were ships instead of artillery units that move on deep water hexes.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Here's a screenshot of Aircraft Carrier classes I've just added:

Note that the Independence Class are CVLs and the Casablanca Class are CVEs.

Attachments
Carriersscreenshot.gif
Carriersscreenshot.gif (16.46 KiB) Viewed 869 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Here's an update to the spreadsheet, since the Carriers and some DD classes have been added.

Note that my practice is to divide the CVs by three, the CVLs by two, and the CVEs remain whole. Then each CV consists of 3 of the 1/3-sized classes, each CVL consists of 2 of the 1/2-sized classes, and each CVE consists of 1 of the whole-sized class. That allows three airgroups on each CV, two on each CVL, and one on each CVE.
Attachments
WitPClasses.zip
(22.27 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
dryiceman

Post by dryiceman »

Saludos
Perdona que no escriba en inglés, pero no domino el idioma.
Te felicito por lo que haz hecho para personalizar los grandes navíos de la 2 GM.
Veo que en tu fórmula tomas datos que no son fáciles de conseguir, como el de la rata (cadencia) de disparo.
Me gustaria saber qué números resultarían en ciertos acorazados europeos.
Si por casualidad haz hecho el cálculo que le corresponderían a alguno de los siguientes navíos: Clase Nelson, Bismark, [font=arial]Scharnhorst, Admiral Graff Spee, [/font]Dunkerque, Richelieu y Vittorio Veneto, y no tienes problemas en compartirlos, te lo agradeciería.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: dryiceman

Saludos
Perdona que no escriba en inglés, pero no domino el idioma.
Te felicito por lo que haz hecho para personalizar los grandes navíos de la 2 GM.
Veo que en tu fórmula tomas datos que no son fáciles de conseguir, como el de la rata (cadencia) de disparo.
Me gustaria saber qué números resultarían en ciertos acorazados europeos.
Si por casualidad haz hecho el cálculo que le corresponderían a alguno de los siguientes navíos: Clase Nelson, Bismark, [font=arial]Scharnhorst, Admiral Graff Spee, [/font]Dunkerque, Richelieu y Vittorio Veneto, y no tienes problemas en compartirlos, te lo agradeciería.

Google translated this as:

Greetings It pardons that it does not write in English, but I do not dominate the language. I congratulate to you reason why you do fact to personalize the great the 2 ships of GM. I see that in your formula takings data that are not easy to obtain, as the one of the rat (cadence) of firing. Gustaria to know to me what numbers would be in certain European battleships. If by chance you do fact the calculation that would correspond to him to some of the following ships: Class Nelson, Bismark, Scharnhorst, Admiral Graff Spee, Dunkerque, Richelieu and Vittorio Veneto, and you do not have problems in sharing them, you agradeciería.

Good enough to understand.

My answer is:

The Nelson Class is already shown in both the posts above and in the attached spreadsheet.

German and Italian classes are more difficult because none of them are in “War in the Pacific”, which was my source for all the USA, UK, Japanese, and French classes. For German and Italian classes, I had to search for data about them on the web. For rate of fire and durability values, I just made my best guess.

However, you might want to try going to Matrix’s “War in the Pacific” board, and asking about data on those ships there. You may find others have already researched them.

Which Google again translated as:

La clase de Nelson se demuestra ya en ambos los postes sobre y en la hoja de balance unida.

Alemán y las clases italianas son más difíciles porque ningunas de ellas están en “guerra en el Pacífico”, que era mi fuente para los todos los E.E.U.U., Reino Unido, japonés, y las clases francesas. Para las clases alemanas e italianas, tuve que buscar para datos sobre ellos en la tela. Para el índice de los valores del fuego y de la durabilidad, acabo de hacer mi mejor conjetura.

Sin embargo, puede ser que desees intentar ir guerra de la matriz a la “en” el tablero pacífico, y preguntar por datos en esas naves allí. Puedes encontrar otros para haber investigadolos ya.

Someone who speaks Spanish might check that for me.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
dryiceman

Post by dryiceman »

Muchas gracias Curtis Lemay
Tienes toda la razón. La clase Nelson ya la habías mostrado. Fui yo quien no la vio
Veré si puedo conseguir los datos necesarios para sacar los valores de los otros navíos.
Gracias por la molestia de traducir.

¿Cómo hacen para traducir con Google del español al inglés? En mi barra de Google sólo me deja del inglés al español, y no siempre funciona.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: dryiceman

Muchas gracias Curtis Lemay
Tienes toda la razón. La clase Nelson ya la habías mostrado. Fui yo quien no la vio
Veré si puedo conseguir los datos necesarios para sacar los valores de los otros navíos.
Gracias por la molestia de traducir.

¿Cómo hacen para traducir con Google del español al inglés? En mi barra de Google sólo me deja del inglés al español, y no siempre funciona.

Translation:

Thank you very much Curtis Lemay You are all the right. The class Nelson already you had shown it. I was who did not see it I will see if I can obtain the data necessary to remove the values from the other ships. Thanks for the annoyance to translate. How makes to translate with Google of the Spanish the English? In my bar of Google only it leaves me to the Spanish of the English, and not always it works.

To change Google to translate from English to Spanish, just click where it says "Spanish to English" and it will popup a suite of translation choices.

Translation:

Cambiar Google para traducir inglés-español, del tecleo justo donde dice “español al inglés” y de él popup una habitación de las opciones de la traducción.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

A propósito, aquí está un buen Web site sobre clases alemanas de la nave:

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/index.html
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
dryiceman

Post by dryiceman »

Muchas gracias Curtis
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Here's a zipped Excel-5 sheet with a bunch of additional ship classes.
I've used Bob's original with a few slight changes.
There are a lot of ship classes not classified in WITP
so I've used the various 'All the World's Fighting Ships' books published by Conway as my main source.
The WITP 'duration' classification is a subjective one, I've taken the normal displacement/280 for other ships,
this to make Warspite the default as Bob did.

edit: more ships

Attachments
Ship Classes.zip
(62.91 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Great, thank you Erik. I'll use some of the british destroyers for an own scenario, you saved me some work..thanks.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Great, thank you Erik. I'll use some of the british destroyers for an own scenario, you saved me some work..thanks.

Your welcome.
Be aware that the generic DD values are much higher than 'my' customized DD-classes.
So you really need to either have all ships using custom values.
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Hi was just reading through this and noticed under battlecruisers you have UK Roberts is there a reason for this as if im correct ?? Roberts is a monitor regards Ian
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.

Return to “Scenario Design”