question . . .

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
Daggerlab

question . . .

Post by Daggerlab »

Ok, this may be a truly stupid question, but . . . is there a way to save a game during a battle? I have searched all the manuals, and pushed every button I can think of during a battle, but the only option I can find besides truce/surrender is the option to quit without saving. Am I just badly overlooking something here?
squadleader_id

RE: question . . .

Post by squadleader_id »

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need.  Why would you want to do that?  It's not realistic to save your progress  in the heat of battle [:-][:D]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

It would be a nice feature to add to CC6. "Heat of battle" or not, real-life can get in the way sometimes!
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

You can press F3 to pause.

Then Alt-TAB to minimize...

you can then return to the heat of battle at your leisure.
ImageImage
Daggerlab

Post by Daggerlab »

ORIGINAL: squadleader_id

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need.  Why would you want to do that?  It's not realistic to save your progress  in the heat of battle [:-][:D]

If you want to see heat of battle, try explaining to your wife that you can't help her with the two screaming kids until the battle is done, due to the lack of a save game option![:)]
Thanks for the quick replies, all! That option would be a helpful feature, in my opinion, for those times when real life intrudes.
old man of the sea

Post by old man of the sea »

never let real life intrude on your game son.....

E
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: squadleader_id

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need. Why would you want to do that? It's not realistic to save your progress in the heat of battle [:-][:D]

There were two great beefs about CC from the "granny-gamers:"

1) There was no way to SAVE before crucial events.

2) They insisted that a PAUSE game function be implemented, one that would allow them to plot moves and select targets during the respite.

If you scratched the surface of these guys' psyche, what you'd find is a deep-seated desire to "failure-proof" the game, to make it such that they COULDN'T lose. When Close Combat failed to fill their pre-requisite for a "proper" wargame, they assigned to it the monikor, RTS, or clickfest. It's also worth noting that many of the folks who complain the loudest about CC don't play human opponents. "Why For God's sake," they'd ask themselves, "I might lose?"

Well, here's the deal on this issue...

The fights in Close Combat depict thirty minutes or so of frequently hair-raising action. The inclusion of loss pre-emptive features like save-game functions and pauses totally distort this time element and undermines the effectiveness of the design. In other words, superimposing, deliberative and/or "second-chance" functions into a small-unit, tactical environment characterized by NO SUCH CHEATS wrecks what is perhaps the most important advantage of computer wargames over those played with cardboard counters and maps, simultaneous, real-time simulation and gaming.

Close Combat forever, unadulterated, PLEASE!!!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.
Beeblebrox

Post by Beeblebrox »

The fights in Close Combat depict thirty minutes or so of frequently hair-raising action. The inclusion of loss pre-emptive features like save-game functions and pauses totally distort this time element and undermines the effectiveness of the design. In other words, superimposing, deliberative and/or "second-chance" functions into a small-unit, tactical environment characterized by NO SUCH CHEATS wrecks what is perhaps the most important advantage of computer wargames over those played with cardboard counters and maps, simultaneous, real-time simulation and gaming.

Gets my vote! 

However, a replay function will be a very welcome addition.  It is in the Military versions already, and will come with subsequent releases (but not re-releases).

squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

Gets my vote!

However, a replay function will be a very welcome addition. It is in the Military versions already, and will come with subsequent releases (but not re-releases).

Yessss!! Please add a replay function. For the current CC games, I have to settle with studying screenshots taken during the game as a 'home-made replay' feature. You can use third party screen capture programs lika Camtasia...but the movie sizes are too huge...a simple replay function like modern RTS games is a must for future CC releases.
Once this feature is available...you can swap battle replay films...no need to write your CC AAR anymore :).
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Well, here's the deal on this issue...

A strong candidate for the "pretentious bullsh*t of the week" award! [;)]

I'd like a save game function so I can stop playing a map in the middle when life interrupts and come back to it later. Sometimes such interruptions involve time intervals where I'd rather turn my PC off, or occasionally when somebody needs it for something else. Simple. No "deep seated desire" for anything. There is no "cheat" and it doesn't undermine anything; if you don't want to save you don't have to.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

A strong candidate for the "pretentious bullsh*t of the week" award! [;)]

DEAR GRANDMA:

Loss pre-emptive devices in computer games depicting small-unit combat are for hysterical pussies who can't roll a die without first smoking a cigarette, fondling their cat and then jacking-off for half an hour. Their nerves simply can't take the strain. It's odd indeed that so challenged an individual would be interested in combat simulation when knitting a cuddly pink afghan would far better suit his/her emotional limitations.

PoE
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Pford

Post by Pford »

A vote for a traditional save game function here. In single-player who cares? The saved games should be sortable by date in next version, tho.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I like them being sorted alphabetically.

For a real Infantry game I prface it with a

RI

Grossdeutschland

GD

Western Front

WF

eg

WF Grand Campaign

makes them easy to find and play with the correct mod.
ImageImage

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”