Can't raid Pearl Harbor with non-historical opening

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Greyshaft

Can't raid Pearl Harbor with non-historical opening

Post by Greyshaft »

When playing the Japanese in Campaign 1941 I want to play the non-historical opening in order to rearrange the attack on the East Indies. Unfortunately this seems to make the raid on Pearl Harbor impossible. The carriers in Japan don't have the range to reach Hawaii on turn 1.

Am I missing something?
/Greyshaft
zeke99

RE: Can't raid Pearl Harbor with non-historical opening

Post by zeke99 »

No, you simple can't make up the time to get into range of Hawaii.

The only way is by editor creating a TF and place it on coordinates close by.
zeke99

Post by zeke99 »

and I badly need a spell check! [:@]
MXB2001

Post by MXB2001 »

Yes, you can do it. The trick I learned was to leave the Kaga & Akagi behind. (BB's too in matrix version) Min. speed of 34 kn required to reach PH from Tokyo in 1 turn.

My routine has been to make TF2 the Kaga/Akagi + the CVL's. TF1 is super fast carrier fleet. This way you also don't exceed 8 CV points.

Mind, if you wanna slug it out with 3 massive USN CV's in 1 TF you will need to recombine TF1 & 2. You need as much CAP as you can get. 1 SBD getting through will ruin your day in version 3.2. In the SSI version it is not neccesary, your Zeroes will be airtight even over just the Sho, Zui, Hir & Sor.
--
01/01/01
In DOS we trust
MXB2001

Post by MXB2001 »

There is another way I just thought of.

1) Change Comb. Fl. HQ (for 5 PP) to Marcus (where the fleet starts in version 1.1 IIRC) which makes the range 26. Reinforce HQ for 25 PP. I got all 6 CV's there. It is only 8 from Tokyo after all. It costs 30 PP to do it which is not bad. You even get troops headed there which you can use for a quick followup invasion! Very neat is that the Comb. Fl. Eng. end up in Marcus. It feels like it is the intended method.

A minus is that Marcus gives 16 less TF PP to fleets (9-1x2=16).

I don't use reinforce HQ mostly for fear of the cost and the loss of control. But actually it's pretty neat. Your ships get to move twice too... ;) A fair trade for 25 PP I'd say.
--
01/01/01
In DOS we trust
bradk

Post by bradk »

I believe SSI had the CVs in port at Marcus

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”