Do you play detailed battles?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Gil R.

Do you play detailed battles?

Post by Gil R. »

General Quarters asked if people are playing detailed battles or quick combat, and I have to admit I'm a bit curious myself. So I figured, why not a poll thread?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Greyhunterlp

RE: Do you play detailed battles?

Post by Greyhunterlp »

I Tend to play the closer ones, playing 100K troops vs 2K isn't worth the time, but anything with decent troop numbers is detailed.

although i'm sure this leads to many more defeats than the AI would generate, but hey, least i'm slowly getting better....
Where I Go, Chaos Follows
Drex

Post by Drex »

I intend to play all major battles as detailed but since i only have .75 gig of RAM I can only get the Chit view. It'll be more fun with all the goodies. Most of the battles will be QC though as it does take time to play out the detailed.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

I played a detail battle once, the graphics put me off.
ABridgeTooFar

Post by ABridgeTooFar »

Detailed battles all the way except for the 110K vs 3K.  Love the detailed battles.  It is where you can see all your newly purchased toys and put them to use.  When I say toys I am referring to new weapons, attributes, officers, etc.  It really takes this game to a whole new level of amazingness (yes I know that is not a word).
General Quarters

Post by General Quarters »

ORIGINAL: ABridgeTooFar

amazingness (yes I know that is not a word).

It is now.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

In all honesty i would not play FOF without detailed battles...period. It's like an ice cream cone without the ice cream!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Aye, got to agree

but since I am the HW guy, I got to :)

How many times can I vote ?

tiredoftryingnames

Post by tiredoftryingnames »

I voted sometimes. My plan once I learned the detailed battle system was to play any close battle with detailed battle. Once I saw the system I desperately wanted to use it based on how it worked. After playing it and seeing the AI charge with 1 brigade at a time and me easily winning any battle I only play with Quick Combat now. Poll again after the patch. I hear detailed got some work. My one gripe about the detailed combat is it's use of the quick combat system of assigning them an order and they have to be given orders in that sequence. I really wish it used the strategic map system. Let both sides give their orders by going to their units however they please and then have the action fought out in action phases so they carry out the combat in a more realistic fashion than 1 after the other.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

So far I tend to use Quick Battle. Exceptions being if I am outnumbered and each side has over 10k each troops. If I can get close to the AI in numbers chances are with Detailed I can win. Especially if am the defender.

Havent recently had any huge battles but since only 27 brigades show on QB ( well a few more if you call reinforcements) I suspect any huge battle will be detailed as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Diggypiggy

Post by Diggypiggy »

I would play detailed battles more often but I usually win against the AI when I really shouldn't. I will play more detailed battles if the AI is improved in the upcoming patch.
marecone

Post by marecone »

I play it sometimes. My comp sucks so I can play them only without sounds [:@]
"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

I've only 512 MB RAM but I usually play detailed battles. I switch off sound and video (rename folder trick) but keep music. I don't use low anim as I like those little soldiers :)
I switch smoth movement and shadows in detailed battles though.

Btw with the 1.23 patch performance increased..at least it seems to me .)
Drex

Post by Drex »

I use low animation but how do I switch back?
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
Zakouski

Post by Zakouski »

I play detailed battles when the stakes are important. And the ability to choose and play from strategical to operational level is my main interest in this great game [8D]
Greyhunterlp

Post by Greyhunterlp »

Just had a detailed battle that sums up why to play detailed, 28K union under (me) vs 10K rebs (AI) and its january 1863

I'm Playing with random generals on, as i don't like to be able to tell at a glance whos going to be the best, and i don't like to be able to write off my enemy if i know their commanded by a poor general. and the commander of the enemy division had been haunting my western campain for the best part of two years now, he started with just one brigade, but was able to see off much larger forces repeatedly, effectivly halting my hopes of a quick victory by storming down the west. by now hes my stonewall, appearing whenever i try and move troops around to hammer them and spoil my plans.

Its winter, so my troops are holding on the border while i get their numbers up, I finally get a decent general i can send west (ironically sherman) so i demote the bumbling fool who has been commaning the US third corps, and then replace him with sherman. that turn the enemy general attacks my third corp, despite biing outnumbered 2-1. I decide to go into the detailed battle. after some manuveing, i am just about to take up a defensive position, and into my exposed flank slams the 30th CA brigade, thier charge causes 1000 casulties and breaks the US 25th, and i put my head into my hands, and think "here we go again" i try and swing around, but the second brigade hits another one of mine and kills 400 of them with withering fire, then the 30th charge the next out of place brigade. Who hold! 650 men of the 30th die, and much more importantly the enemy general, suddenly everything turns around, and i manage to rout the enemy! my first victory in the west, and a thorn in my side removed. just as well i don't have any neighbours atm, beacuse its early in the moring and I shouted out loud. i now know how the union must have felt when Jackson got killed. the sense of relief.

Hmm, this has turned into more of an AAR, but its a point thats theres nothing better than building up hatred and respect for an AI general, the watching him get himself killed in a heroic charge.
Where I Go, Chaos Follows
General Quarters

Post by General Quarters »

That's really interesting. Not many AARs have been posted, and sometimes it is better to have a thumbnail sketch anyway. Thanks.
Maurym

Post by Maurym »

I've started to play the detailed combat mode along the lines as others (when it's not really lopsided), but I'm still a real noob. I thought I had it reasonably figured out and had positioned my force to come up from the flank & back of the enemy. It should have been a slaughter (common sense would dictate so)...and it was...against me. The enemy; which was in column and facing away from me simply turned, formed into line and fired. My troops immediately paniced.

I'm sure I am missing some nuances to this...it would be helpful to have a more descriptive guide (at least for me) to detailed combat. 
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

If you were the Union expect that to happen. More importantly look at the top of the screen in the middle, it will list the "standing" of the respective sides. Hover over the number and it will tell you how that number was arrived at. If your on the attack and that number is lower than the enemy, you better be real good or your gonna lose.

Defenders get a bonus to start and that can be a killer combined with generally better southern troops.

You need to arm your brigades, give them special abilities AND ensure they are inspired OR preferrably higher moral. And Generals are needed as well, including the lowly one stars.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Nope, I rarely do. FoF is an excellent strategic game, but there are much better tactical systems to wast.. erm, spend time playing.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”