Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Skill Check

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Skill Check Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skill Check - 2/6/2007 4:36:06 AM   
rich12545

Playing the tutorial. Destroyed the building. Did call move. Pressed the run button. A skill check window came up. I right clicked. Looks like it passed but I'm not sure. Nothing's happening. Clicked the run button. Nothing moved and the buttons went to attack mode. Pressed call move again. And the cycle started all over. I'm following instructions I think but not doing something right. Anybody know?
Post #: 1
RE: Skill Check - 2/6/2007 3:53:58 PM   
shunwick

Ok, I am not sure about the skill check becaue I can't remember if that happened to me or not.

The move / attack menu thing is confusing at first. Essentially, a pilot can can do two things at the same time. He can select an item from the move menu (eg Run) and then the mode changes to show the attack menu where you can select one item (eg scan) from that. Your orders are not ready for execution until you have specified both actions.

It is common that you won't always need to see both menus. If you are just interested in moving, for example, and there are no enemy titans around there is no real need to keep having the attack menu show up. This is where you can put the menu (the attack menu in this case) on wait. Check out the wait command. There are quite a few options to customize the wait state of the menu. Note, however, when you use the wait command, you are not necessarily telling the pilot to wait. You are instructing the menu not to show itself before some condition occurs.

If you put both menus on wait, there will be a pop up window to alert you to that. If you elect to have both menus on wait then time will pass and keep on passing until you press F3 or (IIRC) 1000 seconds have passed.

The move/attack thingy is confusing for beginners, if I am anything to go by, but it becomes easier as you gain more experience with the game.

There is a better explanation of this in one of the stickies on this forum. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

< Message edited by shunwick -- 2/6/2007 4:06:45 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 2
RE: Skill Check - 2/6/2007 11:30:46 PM   
LarkinVB

Yea, don't call move in attack mode if you want the move to finish. Call move in attack mode is like breaking your current move ! Just use wait on move in attack mode (or wait on whatever suits your taste like wait on new enemy).

You can increase game speed but putting  undesired game modes on wait. Example : You want to wait on hilltop for enemies, just scanning them until they get into range. Put move move on 'wait on call' and you wont be bothered with any move mode menu untill you call move in attack mode or use F3 (if I remeber correctly out of my head).

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Skill Check - 2/6/2007 11:49:17 PM   
shunwick

More fun is ahead.

When you have control over more than one titan, you issue a walk command to one of the titans , stick the attack menu on wait on something, and then ... another titan moves.

The first time that happens is a definite what the ... moment.

Best wishes,

PS. LarkinVB could you tell me how to get hold of the campaign editor? You asked me a few days ago if I would like it but you may have missed my reply or my email thingy could be giving problems.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 4
RE: Skill Check - 2/7/2007 12:10:35 AM   
LarkinVB

Where is you email thingy ? Send me PM and you will get the editor asap.  But since you are really starting to play  I guess there is a lot to  discover before you feel the urge to make own scenarios. Feel free to ask questions about gameplay. TOS:WS can be a bit overwhelming at first  

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Skill Check - 2/7/2007 1:58:30 AM   
shunwick

LarkinVB,

PM sent. As I explained in the PM - I am losing my broadband connection soon. Thanks.

Best wishes,

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 6
RE: Skill Check - 2/7/2007 9:09:24 AM   
Aensland

LarkinVB posted a very handy sticky, the Turn System quick guide.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=497636

F3 is to display what everyone in the team is doing, so you can manually cancel moves. For example, if you set a Titan to "move: wait until attack", and "attack: wait until new enemy", obviously you will not be able to control it at all until an enemy shows up. Use F3 and then change that Titan's mode from Call to Done (for either move or attack).

Ab Clades, Malevolentia; Ab Victoria, Ultio
( " In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! " )

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: Skill Check - 2/7/2007 6:45:06 PM   
rich12545

Ok, I just put the attack mode to wait on call. That totally solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

(in reply to Aensland)
Post #: 8
RE: Skill Check - 2/8/2007 11:51:57 PM   
LarkinVB

I recommend to download additional data about game mechanics from http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=505209

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Skill Check Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI