Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can we get a listing of the changes and new features fo... - 1/29/2007 1:48:26 AM   
rook749

Everyone,

Is there anyway we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release? I know it has been stated that you *hoped* it would be ready by the end of January but it might take longer. As we get closer to the end of January I hoping we can get some insight on the changes.

Rook
Post #: 1
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 6:07:12 AM   
GBS

BUMP>

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 2
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 6:35:43 AM   
Gil R.

Very funny: you bump a thread that was the second highest already...

The list of changes is enormous. First and foremost (if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe), several bugs and unforeseen "features" have been squashed. Next, there have been a lot of changes made to the UI, the most popular of which might be the ability to go from the City List straight to any city's development screen. Battle reports and the other reports give more information about what has happened (with a special emphasis on letting players know what has happened in PBEM). Minor graphics glitches (e.g., wrong units appearing in quick combat) have been fixed. Changes to the AI's behavior in detailed battles have been made. The diplomatic level necessary to bring the Europeans in to the war has been raised to 9. Governors will no longer request absurd things for their states (such as a shipyard in Kansas), and, thanks to the work of Artmiser, have a greater chance of asking for something especially appropriate to that state (e.g., foundries in Pennsylvania). Academies provide more generals at the different ranks than they did before, and one will no longer be limited to one promotion per turn. Demoted generals now have a 50% chance to resign in protest, and their governors to get ticked off. The Medical attribute now can help all of the units in a container survive disease, not just the unit that has it. Generals bios will make their first appearance (with a batch numbering more than sixty so far). Camps now cost more money and less horses, and have a chance to reduce manpower levels in a province -- thus making them about as easy for both sides to build. Out-of-command units now have a flashing star, so that they're easier to find. Jimwinsor has improved his July 1861 scenario, and our "historical" scenario will be there for everyone to argue about. And so on and so on and so on.

To be honest, for me to list and describe all of the changes would take at least half an hour (this just took five minutes), and I'm too busy working on my contributions to the patch to go into as much detail as we'd all like. But I think this brief summary will show that this patch will be far-reaching, and worth the wait.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 1/29/2007 9:36:29 AM >

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 3
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 9:08:26 AM   
ratters72

Great work Gil and team.  Keep it up.  And as always thanks for the info and input.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 5:17:58 PM   
rook749

Thanks for the info Gil, and also thanks for all the hard work done so far by the team.

Rook

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 5
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 5:20:33 PM   
freeboy

ok , sound this out: " uuuoooo, aaahhhh"

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 6
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 6:22:20 PM   
spruce

so this means no more Universities then for Alabama ? and a sixpack of telegraphs for Texas ?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 8:41:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

The list of changes is well over 200 points at this time. I think it's probably enough to read what Gil wrote, what I posted earlier and start getting excited. This is a MAJOR update.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 8
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 8:49:32 PM   
IDrinkBeer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

...if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe

Hey. Wait one darn minute. I read somewhere that the CSA navy was only ONE man in a canoe!!!!

LOL....

Seriously, thanks for all the work everyone there has (and continues) to put into the game.

IDrinkBeer2

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 9:06:07 PM   
dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer2

quote:

...if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe

Hey. Wait one darn minute. I read somewhere that the CSA navy was only ONE man in a canoe!!!!

LOL....

Seriously, thanks for all the work everyone there has (and continues) to put into the game.

IDrinkBeer2

Canoe?? they had a canoe? I suppose next they'll want an admiral for that canoe...

Just kidding... I can't wait for the update... I've bee holding off starting a new game until it comes out... don't.... know.... how..... much.... long...er... I .... can hold .....out....

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to IDrinkBeer2)
Post #: 10
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/29/2007 11:18:17 PM   
ABridgeTooFar

Great work fellas.  Keep it up.  It is greatly appreciated.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 11
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 12:35:12 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Thanks guys for the hard work on the update.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to ABridgeTooFar)
Post #: 12
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 1:06:37 AM   
freeboy

butthatcanoe had harpoon anti shipping missiles, it may be slow, but it is deadly!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 13
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 2:59:05 AM   
Gil R.

I'm playtesting the historically imbalanced scenario (see how much money Washington and Boston produce?), and thought you'd all appreciate this screenshot. Notice anything different? (Hint: look at the bottom of the screen.)

(By the way, we already noticed that Davenport is producing nothing now. Easily fixed.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 1/30/2007 3:24:01 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 4:21:34 AM   
General Quarters

I can't wait to read the AARs for that one!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 5:30:56 PM   
ABridgeTooFar

What's up with the ironworks and university buttons?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 5:32:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

Those allow you to filter the list to see which cities have Ironworks and which cities have Universities. Makes it easier to target your building of mines and research institutions to where they will get the most bonuses.

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ABridgeTooFar)
Post #: 17
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 6:19:22 PM   
General Quarters

Should a button be added for Telegraphs? Don't they provide a reinforcement benefit to camps?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 6:21:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

No, telegraphs provide a bonus related to calling in reinforcing groups from adjacent territories.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 19
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 1/30/2007 6:42:42 PM   
spruce

quote:

Notice anything different? (Hint: look at the bottom of the screen.)

thanks Gil ! Great -

by the way is that some kind of coffee stain at the bottom of the screen ?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 20
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 5:33:15 AM   
Von Hindenburg

Can that new button be made into a "School/University" button?

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 21
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 5:34:54 AM   
General Quarters

I don't think schools affect other decisions. Only universities add a bonus to other research institutes.

(in reply to Von Hindenburg)
Post #: 22
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 5:56:17 AM   
Gil R.

Exactly. There is no pressing need to know where one's schools are, unlike universities.

Post #: 23
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 11:21:27 AM   
Gresbeck

quote:

there have been a lot of changes made to the UI, the most popular of which might be the ability to go from the City List straight to any city's development screen.

Nice. But it would also be fine to have the ability to go from the Governors List straight to the capital province of each governor. For people like me, not living in the USA, it can be rather annoying to read that the Governor of East Ohio River requests for 20 brigades, and to scroll the entire map to find the East Ohio River province.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 11:28:27 AM   
Gil R.

Governors never specify the province -- they just say that they want brigades in their state.

Are you asking to go to the state capital's development screen, or to go to it on the main map?

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 2/3/2007 11:43:19 AM >

(in reply to Gresbeck)
Post #: 25
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 12:59:03 PM   
Gresbeck

I see your point. That's why I thought I could simply go to the capital's province on the main map. To go to the capital's development screen would be useful especially when a governor requests for a building, but in this case I wouldn't necessarily want to build there, that's why auto-selecting the development screen is probably not so important. My point is simply not to scroll the map to find the State. BTW, as far as I remember, cycling through provinces with the upper arrows in the development screen sorts provinces by name. It would be probably better to cycle all of the provinces of a State, to be able to select immediately the provinces where I could build the development requested by the Governor. Thanks for your kind and quick response.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 26
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 4:05:06 PM   
Von Hindenburg

I don't think schools affect other decisions. Only universities add a bonus to other research institutes.

Ah, that explains why I can never get the research to add up - thank you.

Post #: 27
RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new feature... - 2/3/2007 8:20:41 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gresbeck

I see your point. That's why I thought I could simply go to the capital's province on the main map. To go to the capital's development screen would be useful especially when a governor requests for a building, but in this case I wouldn't necessarily want to build there, that's why auto-selecting the development screen is probably not so important. My point is simply not to scroll the map to find the State. BTW, as far as I remember, cycling through provinces with the upper arrows in the development screen sorts provinces by name. It would be probably better to cycle all of the provinces of a State, to be able to select immediately the provinces where I could build the development requested by the Governor. Thanks for your kind and quick response.

It's an interesting idea. We might make the change if enough people like it.

I'm pretty sure that I recall something about Pixelpusher (who does most of our graphics) making a poster that labels all of the provinces, or some such thing. It might be useful for you to have that for quick reference. Pixelpusher, if you're reading this, please enlighten us...

(in reply to Gresbeck)
Post #: 28
more changes - 2/4/2007 2:21:23 AM   
ericbabe

Here are a few things we added today:

255) CHANGED V1.4.3 The Espionage II upgrade now allows the USA to see where CSA blockade runner goods are located whenever the USA player has a fleet selected.  If the CSA has Espionage II, then the USA may no longer see CSA blockade runner goods.

257) CHANGED V1.5.0 Added new game options:
   "Greater Population", "Doubles the population levels of cities."
   "No Time Limit", "The CSA does not receive time-limit related victory points."
   "No European War",    "European powers do not declare war."
   "Total Victory",  "Doubles the victory requirements required to win the game."
   "Always Instant Combat", "Every battle in the game will be resolved as an instant battle."
   "Randomize Start Dates", "Generals can appear up to 6-months before or after their regular starting date."

258) CHANGED V1.5.0 Emancipation criteria.  The USA can now only emancipate when (a) the South has a total European diplomatic levels of 12 or more, and (b) the USA has a positive victory score for Battles won.  The CSA can now only emancipate when (a) the CSA has a total victory score of -6 or less and (b) the CSA has a negative Battles victory score.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: more changes - 2/4/2007 3:01:56 AM   
rook749

Sounds Great Eric.

Rook

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI