Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Epilogue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Epilogue Page: <<   < prev  168 169 170 171 [172]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Epilogue - 6/21/2010 1:30:26 PM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

You my friend have turned yourself into a master storyteller. If we were all in the same room now, you would recieve a standing ovation from all of us present.

i'll second that!

Well done. Again.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 5131
RE: Epilogue - 6/21/2010 1:36:13 PM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

it does look as though "Small Ship, Big War" will be published in book form, one way or another. There's a good chance, anyway. I will post details when and if they become available.

and....?

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 5132
RE: Epilogue - 7/2/2010 3:40:11 PM   
veji1

Same question !

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 5133
RE: Epilogue - 2/4/2011 11:24:52 PM   
dbfw190

just finished reading.
2 thumbs up

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh S--t!!!!"

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 5134
RE: Epilogue - 2/5/2011 12:06:24 AM   
BigDuke66

If this story really makes it into a book form I would like to see the 2 last months covered more detailed.
I think these months give room for many side stories, just think of the families of all the major & minor Hibiki Chars, they must have had a hard time and to swing the spotlight to them would give an interesting view of Japans "Downfall".
Maybe a look into some high rank discussion on how the fight in these last months.
And something about the atomic bombs and the speech that the Japanese emperor Hirohito held("Jewel Voice Broadcast") would also spice things a bit up.

JOIN The Blitz Wargaming Club

"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"

(in reply to dbfw190)
Post #: 5135
RE: Epilogue - 2/20/2011 9:34:32 PM   
SireChaos

There... I just finished reading the whole story for the third time in two years, beginning to end.

Cuttlefish, you are truly one of the best.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 5136
RE: Epilogue - 3/25/2011 1:04:01 AM   
Smoky Stoker

The NavWeaps discussion board sent me here, and I only regret that I am now out of story. I suffered from a bad case of "read instead of..." which included "working" and "sleeping"for a week, a condition that strikes every few years when something truly outstanding comes along.

I am still ambivalent about the ending, though. It somewhat interfered with my willing suspension of disbelief. You gave every one of them a happy ending because you care about them and you could. No Ira Hayes* here. But we all want it to be that way in the real world. We just know it will not happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Hayes

"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 5137
RE: Epilogue - 3/26/2011 1:19:09 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I am still ambivalent about the ending, though. It somewhat interfered with my willing suspension of disbelief.

What can we say? Hibiki always was a lucky ship.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 5138
RE: Epilogue - 3/27/2011 9:42:15 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smoky Stoker

The NavWeaps discussion board sent me here, and I only regret that I am now out of story. I suffered from a bad case of "read instead of..." which included "working" and "sleeping"for a week, a condition that strikes every few years when something truly outstanding comes along.

I am still ambivalent about the ending, though. It somewhat interfered with my willing suspension of disbelief. You gave every one of them a happy ending because you care about them and you could. No Ira Hayes* here. But we all want it to be that way in the real world. We just know it will not happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Hayes

I will have to plead guilty as charged here. Once the ship had survived the war, against all my expectations, I didn't have the heart to do ill to any of the characters in the epilogues.

I could argue that there almost certainly were some negative stories to come out of the post-war years. I just didn't chose to tell any of them. There were a fair number of crew who didn't appear in any tales beyond the end of the war and it is almost certain that some met with misfortune. Having endured all that they had endured, these were men who were not likely to be daunted by lesser challenges. But life is not always kind, or fair, and not all endings are happy ones.

All I can say, looking back, is that at the time it felt right to do it the way I did it. I was reluctant to say goodbye to the characters who had come so far with me and I wanted to leave them on something of a note of grace. I suspect many readers felt the same way. It wasn't necessarily realistic, but it seemed fitting.

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 5139
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/17/2011 6:08:23 PM   
Karsten

I found this thread by change 3 days ago after i reinstalled WiP-AE on my new computer. Since then i got addicted to the small ship in the big war.
152 pages and still going strong ....

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5140
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/30/2012 9:01:17 AM   
Borys

Sent over from warships board.
I can only write:
Thank you for the moving story.
And for the happy ends too :).
Borys

(in reply to Karsten)
Post #: 5141
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 10/27/2013 4:12:35 PM   
Mongol_Horde

bump.

Just can't have this drop through the default setting of one year.

(in reply to Borys)
Post #: 5142
Page:   <<   < prev  168 169 170 171 [172]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Epilogue Page: <<   < prev  168 169 170 171 [172]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI