Campaign mode

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

moose1999

Campaign mode

Post by moose1999 »

What kind of campaign mode (if any) will the game have?
regards,

Briny
Arjuna

RE: Campaign mode

Post by Arjuna »

briny_norman,

Welcome.

Unfortunately we will not have the time to add a campaign feature to BFTB.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Skyfire7631

Post by Skyfire7631 »

[:(]

Same as CotA, then ? Well, as with CotA, I'll pass then [:(]

Regards.

RayWolfe

Post by RayWolfe »

ORIGINAL: Skyfire76
[:(]
Same as CotA, then ? Well, as with CotA, I'll pass then [:(]
I'm not surprised you have a sad face if you pass up the opportunity of playing the best wargame out there.
Makes me a bit sad for you as well. [:(]
Never mind, I'm sure you’re having great fun playing wargames with campaigns. Out of interest, what are they?
Ray
Skyfire7631

Post by Skyfire7631 »

It's just that playing a bunch of scenarios just for the sake of playing them is a little tiresome. I enjoyed HttR a lot, and did my share to advertize it to all my friends, but after a few scenarios, it seems there's just no point ...

A campaign mode was, at the beginning, talked about for CotA, then dumped : I see it will be the same for this one, so I don't see why I would change my mind ...

As for wargames I play (or used to) with a campaign mode, or something close to it, I can say : Uncommon Valour, Hearts of Iron II, Battles in Normandy (though the campaign is just one huge scenario in that case), Crusader Kings, Birth of America, Blitkrieg, Strategic Command 2, Medieval Total War (I), Supreme Ruler 2010, Knights of honor, PeG-WW2 (remake of Panzer General) and so on. Should I go on ? [:D]

And it's precisely because I love the system in Airborne Assault and sequels that I'm disappointed to not see a campaign mode for it [:(]

Regards.
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

ORIGINAL: Skyfire76

And it's precisely because I love the system in Airborne Assault and sequels that I'm disappointed to not see a campaign mode for it [:(]

Fair enough, though with a system this good--there's no way I could pass it up. The series is simply much too enjoyable, campaign or not. You're a better man than I. ;)
moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Well, sorry to hear that. The engine would benefit enormously from a campaign mode, I think - even just a simple one with linked scenarios.
Next time perhaps?
regards,

Briny
Skyfire7631

Post by Skyfire7631 »

ORIGINAL: flintlock

Fair enough, though with a system this good--there's no way I could pass it up. The series is simply much too enjoyable, campaign or not. You're a better man than I. ;)

Lol, I don't know who's the better man : it's also certainly a good idea to support the development of such kinds of wargames by buying them [:)]. But that will be without me this time [;)]

Regards.

loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

Make your own campaign mode.
1. Play the scenarios in one particular sector in order by date.
2. Adjust reinforcement and supply levels based on the results of the previous battles.
3. If your average unit ends a scenario at 50% or higher Fatigue, then play the next with with Painfully Realistic orders delay.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

You can also use the ScenMaker to edit the values of the units ( its easy as selecting them in the force list and applying a strength range - eg 50% + or - 10% ). Then just save the scenario as a different name and play it.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Kung Karl

Post by Kung Karl »

Why can't they just make one big scenario covering the entire campaign? With the abiliyty to only give orders to the high-command this could be very managable and fun. Does the engine not support a map of such size or what?
Trigger Happy

Post by Trigger Happy »

Each company has to find its route among thousands of possibilities. That takes a cpu calc each time. Multiply by 100 for a division and by 500 for a corps and by 2000 for an army. Now that is just for unit number, add bigger maps and multiply by how many times bigger (and some more) the map that have to contain whole armies needs to be compared to a corps for example. That is the problem.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Trigger Happy

[].....100 for a division and by 500 for a corps and by 2000 for an army. []...... That is the problem.

Well, it should be possible.... with GPGPU [:)]
Now, imagine that the AA series would be one of the first (if not the first) games/sims using that powerful + unused resource (idle GPU computing power).
It would be a ground-breaking piece of software.
It would mean that there has to be a basic DirectX API in the game,afaik, though.

I might skip the next installments, for several reasons, I'm not sure yet tho, since AA used to be addicting.
I'd love to see several things, though:
  • A solution where the incoherent single scenarios are connected in some way (not necessarily a campaign mode, but a solution where at least 1 or 2 maps would take the results on a preceding map into account, for example), to enhance immersion/replayability. Replayability of COTA was somewhat disappointing compared to HttR., and the difficulty level was way lower, playing AXIS at least.
  • Less restricted (more user/designer - friendly) policy regarding the Estabs.
  • Improvements in MapMaker: Drag + Drog/Copy + Paste. Command shortcuts for Mapmaker --> i.e. "h" for "hand tool" for easier navigation/better work flow, use of arrow-keys to browse through/toggle between layers.
  • Enhanced game memory slots, to overcome current colour/tile/layer/data restrictions (in order to enhance look of unit counters/and amount of data shown on the unit counters (both modable? - users could create their own counters or change the content/look to their liking.), which would ensure that there'd be a....
  • Newbie-friendly user-interface for editing/creating layer contents (to create new terrains/objects).
  • Naval bombardments (off-shore fire missions).
  • Possibility to capture supply posts (a great addition for MP-games).
  • The "AA-HQ/-Central interface (which would embrace lurkers AND the forum community) i outlined a while ago. A bigger community is the key.
  • A demo version for each new title. A demo game DOES help to attract ppl/arouse interest.

The lack of Custom Scenarios did drag down COTA's replayability (and to some extent HTTR's replayab. too - HttR was more fun tho: it was more challenging. It was more interesting for me too - coz of the terrain + the scenario design), for sure. Some of the reasons (for the lack of scenarios) may be found in the list above.

The AA series is easily the best simulation on a Bn level (div. AI procedures could be improved) on the market. It's brilliant. HttR even kept me from completing real life duties at home, at times... it's that addicting.
But "just" adding other theaters (Ardennes, North Africa) to the "re-cycled" game engine over and over (given, the introduced supply system and the latest AI improvements are very nice features) feels somewhat like selling full versions that could be add-ons otherwise. I'm well aware of the fact that games in this niche-sector have to have a longer life-cycle than other games.
I use to be pissed off if major publishers sell add-ons as full price titles...... I'm not pissed off here, 'coz I know that you can't compare a mini-company to a fully fledged major company.

This shouldn't be taken as goofing on a brilliant developer or a brilliant game. Just my 2 cents.

Regards.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

GoodGuy,

Are you sure we have to use Direct X graphics to be able to take advantage of the gpu? I read those links you rpovided and chased up a few other articles. While I understand the theory I haven't had the time to focus in any practical way yet. The potential to cover a bigger area with more units is big carrot though.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

GoodGuy,

Are you sure we have to use Direct X graphics to be able to take advantage of the gpu? I read those links you rpovided and chased up a few other articles.

The GPU can be accessed by using a small set of commands, easily. While I can't remember what language is being used for the AA series, I'm convinced that the structure of these GPU command sets (I doubt that the sets are as complex as a language) is relatively primitive..... but it's the speed, not the capabilities that are of interest here.

ATI's 9700 (R300 chip) and NVIDIA's NV3x chips were the first cards that were programmable, and that's where the Stanford university started the research. Older GPUs could only be accessed via register combiners.

I did not investigate thoroughly, so I might have gotten things wrong regarding DirectX.

I got the impression that using DirectX OR OpenGL would allow for easier/more generic coding. GPGPU might be about using specific command-sets for each generation of video cards (let's say Geforce 7600/7800 series, Geforce FX 5800?) too, where downward / upward compatibility would have to be verified (varying features/command sets for each card-family???) thoroughly, at least once. All this this would be subject to extended research, which I could not do, due to lack of time.

Also, NVIDIA cards may have a somewhat different command set than ATI cards.

That's just my impression, but hey I'm not a hardware/game programmer, so I can't tell for sure if DX/OpenGL is a definite must-have.
I'd ask away in the GPGPU.org forum, or I'd PM dom (University of Dortmund Germany) or mhouston (Stanford University) on there.

Plus, I recommend to get that book (link to Amazon, which was included in my link-collection).
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Intoxicated Man

Post by Intoxicated Man »

Now, imagine that the AA series would be one of the first (if not the first) games/sims using that powerful + unused resource (idle GPU computing power).

This got me thinking... Isn't it there a programme where people can donate their idle CPU power to search for ET radio signals and other things? Couldn't that be applied to computer games and AA?
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Intoxicated Man

This got me thinking... Isn't it there a programme where people can donate their idle CPU power to search for ET radio signals and other things? Couldn't that be applied to computer games and AA?

Bearing in mind Microsoft can't even get dual core processors to help each other out in Flight Sim X, I think something like SETI@home for wargames is a way off yet. Nice idea though [:)]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Intoxicated Man,

Nice out of the square thinking there. However, the comms/transfer time would probably negate any benefits. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Intoxicated Man

Btw, there is a new program that uses idle GPU (!) power to compute/decode human DNA sequences, now. It works just like SETI, but is using idle GPU power instead. It's way more promising than the SETI approach too, due to the tremendous computing speeds of today's GPUs.
ORIGINAL: Banquet

Bearing in mind Microsoft can't even get dual core processors to help each other out in Flight Sim X, I think something like SETI@home for wargames is a way off yet. Nice idea though [:)]
Well, besides the problems with dual core CPUs (guess they'll patch it...i heard FS X is pretty buggy anyways), FSX seems to get a 20-30% boost if you run it on Vista (code's optimized for VISTA + DirectX 10 !!). Also, if i'm not mistaken, recent dual core CPUs (Intel + AMD) have kinda built-in real-time command sets that would spread/assign tasks to both cores, no matter whether a given software would recognize and use both cores indepently or not.

It's very basic right now, and anything than flawless, but quite a few dual core models have it right now. It's not like one of the cores would be totally umemployed, if let's say a given software would not feature dual-core compatibility.
"Aw Nuts"
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Return to “Command Ops Series”