Help with mod file placement

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding.

Moderator: Gil R.

Maltsensation

Help with mod file placement

Post by Maltsensation »

I am an extreme novice at using/placing mods. I have downloaded William Amos' July 1861 mod and the Unit Icon (NATO) V2.0. The Icon mod has some instructions in the readme that I obviously was to dim to understand. I could really use some advice on how to place these files.

Can we sticky some advice on how to use and place the mods that are created?

This game is great fun and I have been commited to playing and reading the forums since my purchase and download a week ago. My next step is a live advisary. I am retired military and have always enjoyed wargaming (board, sand-table, and computer).

Thanks for any help in advance
Jeff
christof139

RE: Help with mod file placement

Post by christof139 »

Hi,

1) First look into or explore the files in the patch, don't unzip it, and write down the file names and extensions that will be replacing the original game files.

2) Find the yellow folders in the main game folder containing the files that will be replaced by the modded files.

3) Back up your old files by creating a new yellow sub-folder in each yellow folder within the main game folder that has files that will be replaced by the new modded files. I usually call this new yellow subfolder Original Files or Original Flag Files, Original Data Files, whatever is appropriate.

4) Create a new yellow folder on your desk top, and this could be done in 1), and unzip your new modded files into this new yellow folder, called New Mod FoF Files or whatever.

5) Then maually copy each new mod file into the appropriate main game yellow subfolder to replace the original game files that you previously into new yellow Original File subfolders.

For mods without a lot of new files that is how I do it. For vastly more complex mods with many new mod files, I make my Original File sub-Folders and put the original files into them that are going to be replaced by the new mod files, then I just unzip the main mod file into the game, or however the mod read Me file in the mod tells me to do.

If you goof-up, as we all have doing this, just reinstall the game and try again with adding the mod files.

Some people make copies of the whole game for each mod, calling each complete game copy something different such as FoF, FoF1, FoF2, FoFBigMod, whatever.

Just experiemnt and you will pick it up fairly quick.

That's about the easiest manner that I can explain this.

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Okay, I just pinned this to the top. Let's make this be the thread where people give technical info regarding how to make and install mods.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Maltsensation

Post by Maltsensation »

Thanks much for the advice. Glad this has gone sticky. I NEED THE HELP!

I am getting better. I managed to install the WV as union mod...worked great.

Thanks again
Jeff
Zarkis

Post by Zarkis »

There is a mod swapping program called JSGME (JONESOFT GENERIC MOD ENABLER) on the net which was originally written for Silent Hunter III. It works with any game. It's a very handy programm. You can get it here: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”