Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starshatter TGS Improvements?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Starshatter: The Gathering Storm >> Starshatter TGS Improvements? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 9:21:51 PM   
captnkarob

Score: 0
I played the original StarShatter back in 04. Even got into a little modding, but I quickly became bored. The AI mad combat repetitive and boring. I'm looking for a bit more challenge. I really like the flight modeling in Starshatter though and would love to see some support for home cockpits like multimonitor support and the ability to communicate to/from my cockpit devices. IS TGS really better than the original?

Post #: 1
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 9:32:40 PM   
Moriartie

I'd guess multiplayer would alleviate any boring AI. But having never played that I can't be sure (plus you'd still have to deal with brain-dead pathfinding/navigation for any ships you aren't personally at the helm of).

(in reply to captnkarob)
Post #: 2
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 9:46:36 PM   
captnkarob

Guess I'm still looking for my "perfect" space combat sim. unless TGS is a significant improvement over the original then I won't be wasting my money.

(in reply to Moriartie)
Post #: 3
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 10:08:47 PM   
Moriartie

Which version number was the "original"? I don't know anything about previous versions but there are others that do.

(in reply to captnkarob)
Post #: 4
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 10:15:16 PM   
captnkarob

I don't remember the version # - I have it at home. The AI was weak and navigation was definitely 2 dimensional.

(in reply to Moriartie)
Post #: 5
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 11:00:30 PM   
Moriartie

Well, I must admit some AI navigation in TGS is very good. Specifically when I'm carelessly cruising around in my destroyer getting in the way of the other ships in my squadron - the other ships fly over/under me - that I'm impressed by.
Of course, as I hinted earlier, there are plenty of instances where the pathfinding is distinctly lacking - like when a ship is following nav points (I suspect because it's not actually turned in those circumstances as flying into a space station should be easily avoidable otherwise and I've seen that happen multiple times).
So it's a mixed bag. Hopefully they'll fix some of the issues.

(in reply to captnkarob)
Post #: 6
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/2/2007 11:06:08 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moriartie

Which version number was the "original"? I don't know anything about previous versions but there are others that do.

First release of Starshatter was on last millennia. Game was available for free up to version 3.7.6 until 2003-2004 when betatest for commercial version started. Starshatter 4.0 Ultimate Space Combat was release couple years ago (2004) by Matrix and I had to pay over 50 €uros to get it.

Starshatter 5.0 The Gathering Storm is more like update of the 4 version: improved graphics, virtual cockpits (one was already in 3.7.6), few new ships but with old campaigns. Definitely not worth of poor student's money when 4 is still unfinished and joystick has worn out.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Moriartie)
Post #: 7
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/3/2007 2:32:54 AM   
SF

quote:

and I had to pay over 50 €uros to get it.

Did you have to pay over 50€ because of your local 15%+ (and rising, I've heard it's up to 18% and higher now in some places) VAT tax?  Are you saying you hold Matrix responsible for such a large price difference?  I can understand wanting some improvements to what you purchased, but by referring to the higher price you had to pay, it sounds like you're holding Matrix responsible for a price gap they aren't in control of and expect them to provide what you want because of how much more you had to pay.

< Message edited by SF -- 1/3/2007 2:43:56 AM >

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/3/2007 7:37:35 AM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SF

quote:

and I had to pay over 50 €uros to get it.

Did you have to pay over 50€ because of your local 15%+ (and rising, I've heard it's up to 18% and higher now in some places) VAT tax?

Found it! Here's the costs broken down:

Product      Qty  Platform  Delivery Method  Price      
--------------------------------------------------------
Starshatter  1    PC        Digital River    29.99 EUR  
--------------------------------------------------------
                                 Sub Total:  29.99 EUR
                                       Tax:   8.03 EUR
                                  Shipping:   4.72 EUR
                                Fee Amount:  11.17 EUR
                                     Total:  53.91 EUR

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to SF)
Post #: 9
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/3/2007 11:22:50 AM   
Moriartie

Matti: That's hefty - Where did the "Fee amount" come from if tax and shipping are otherwise accounted for (and much lower)? Just curious.

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/3/2007 2:04:56 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moriartie

Matti: That's hefty - Where did the "Fee amount" come from if tax and shipping are otherwise accounted for (and much lower)? Just curious.

Wire transfer costs.

Marc von Martial

(in reply to Moriartie)
Post #: 11
RE: Starshatter TGS Improvements? - 1/3/2007 11:37:56 PM   
Moriartie

E-gads, what did you do, forward it using the "Dodgy Franco's Money Laudering Service, a subsidiary of the Mafia"
:-D

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Starshatter: The Gathering Storm >> Starshatter TGS Improvements? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI