Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's with the American Army?????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> What's with the American Army????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's with the American Army????? - 12/28/2006 3:57:54 AM   
James Ward

I'm playing as the Brits and it's September of the first year. The American have about 30,000 troops near Boston and another 10,000 or so in Province.
Every town I try to take with my raiding Indians has a Militia garrison. How do they get so many troops? I can't come close to those numbers so early on when I'm the Americans.
Don't tell me the AI cheats and gets free troops?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Post #: 1
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/28/2006 6:54:47 AM   
CptHowdy

how much influence do the brits start with? colonials get like 60 to start i think, so thats 10 militia units right there, cost 6 influence each. only other way to get influence fast is to occupy a major town and those give ya +10 i think, so they run through then you run through and ya just keep trading without ever defending.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 2
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/28/2006 3:35:00 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: CptHowdy

how much influence do the brits start with? colonials get like 60 to start i think, so thats 10 militia units right there, cost 6 influence each. only other way to get influence fast is to occupy a major town and those give ya +10 i think, so they run through then you run through and ya just keep trading without ever defending.

I believe the Americans start with 80 influence, enough for 13 militia units assuming they do nothing else. That gets you ~4,000 troops assuning 300 per militia unit. One of the American generals (Lee?) had 21,000 infantry late July/ early August. And there were at least 3 other armies with over 5,000 infantry each and that was just in the Boston area. There were also milita units all over the South and near Philly.
I did a No Fog of War test and the A I Americans seem to be able to raise far more militia than a human could.
I'm playing at Captain level with the realistic rule set.

(in reply to CptHowdy)
Post #: 3
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/28/2006 5:41:37 PM   
CptHowdy

wow, that is a lot. im playing the first scenario after the tutorial which only lasts for a year and a half. i start with 3-4 armies near boston the largest being around 4000 men i think. i guess hussargames will have to answer this one.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 4
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/29/2006 12:21:34 AM   
HussarGames

The AI has some bonuses in all resources including influence.

(in reply to CptHowdy)
Post #: 5
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/29/2006 12:47:25 AM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

The AI has some bonuses in all resources including influence.

Is there a way to reduce them without giving the human an advantage?

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 6
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/30/2006 10:33:10 AM   
HussarGames

Set difficulty to Soldier, then change the morale bonus for the computer to 0 in the file AI_bonusz.dat. The file is in the data dir and can be opened with notepad.
The numbers in it are the morale modifiers for the computer.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 7
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 12/30/2006 10:47:31 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

Set difficulty to Soldier, then change the morale bonus for the computer to 0 in the file AI_bonusz.dat. The file is in the data dir and can be opened with notepad.
The numbers in it are the morale modifiers for the computer.

Thanks.

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 8
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 9/10/2007 9:14:21 PM   
Brandtake

Is this a one-time influence bonus at the start of the game (in which case it's probably not a big deal over the course of the campaign), or does the AI continue to generate extra influence?

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 9
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 11/10/2007 1:17:07 AM   
marc420

" Don't tell me the AI cheats and gets free troops?!?!?!?!?!?!? "

Apparently, that is what they are telling you. 

The classic crutch for people who won't program a better AI.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 10
RE: What's with the American Army????? - 2/24/2008 2:44:26 AM   
FM WarB

I wish to preface by saying that this is a fascinating game system.
The issue is not just Alfred. The recruitment regional logic is faulty. Huge armies from all over the country can be created in Portland Maine, for example. The Americans are alloted too much infantry and militia, and they can be recruited pretty much wherever you want.
I slow watched a battle against Alfred, and he had 9,000 militia recruited in Portland Maine that came from North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I had captured or burned Every town from NYC to Albany, Holding all but Springfield and Plymoth (pillaged) and Providence RI, where Alfred had a 40,000 man army, suffering no supply or recruitment woes. This in 1777 in the campaign game. I had also pillaged my way from Trenton to Anapolis.
Also annoying was the 10 cavalry units Alfred also manged to recruit.

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> What's with the American Army????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI