Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Did I get wrong version???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Did I get wrong version??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Did I get wrong version??? - 12/12/2006 11:51:46 PM   
SaltySteed

I guess I figured that the 60 bucks got me a more advanced version, but after fighting the interface of this for awhile, I maybe should have get the 2002 Classic version. It seems that that is a much more refined interface. What IS the advantage of the DOS version?

PS I have bought the original release, the 97, and and earlier version of 3 over the years. Was really disapointed that 3's interface is just as clunky as it was years ago.

Is there any hope on an upgrade soon to H3 3.7?

PS I AM complaining, but note I have continued to support this product for years.

< Message edited by SaltySteed -- 12/13/2006 5:04:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Did I get wrong version??? - 12/13/2006 8:00:41 AM   
TonyE

60 bucks got you multiplayer and improvements to the guts of the game, not so much changes to the interface.  The HC2002 interface isn't so much more refined, it just happens to have a Windows standard interface foundation.

H3 ANW isn't DOS anymore, it is actually technologically beyond the HC interface since H3 uses DirectX (albeit to reproduce essentially what you saw in H2 in DOS).  The advantage of keeping the same look and feel of H2 was to make porting to Macintosh and Windows less time consuming than replacing the entire user interface.  This gave us Harpoon 3 way back when Jesse Spears did it almost single-handedly, without that move we probably wouldn't have currently developed Harpoon of any flavor, H3 or HC. 

So maintaining the H2 interface enabled a number of things as players that likely would not have reached fruition with a multi-year stop to replace the interface:
  • a refreshed game (H3) with the guts and mechanics improved and improving even yet.
  • continuation of the Harpoon computer games, which enabled HC2002, HCGold, and soon HCCE.
  • income for AGSI to move into military sales, which will <cross fingers> lead to...
  • a new, really spiffy (for Harpoon anyway) interface for H3 3.8 and/or whatever TNH (The Next Harpoon) is named and numbered.

By buying just about every version, much as I do, you are as much paying for the Harpoon you always wanted as you are for the Harpoon of today, yet another stepping stone along the way to the holy grail of Harpoon.  In the meantime we can play games against humans for the first time in what, 7+ years since Harpoon Online, hardly a zero value feature added to the capabilities of H3!

Please do buy Harpoon Classic btw, you may want to wait for HCCE, that's up to you, I pull out H3 mainly for multiplayer but still put most of my gaming time into Harpoon Classic.  I wouldn't be caught without either, they each do their own thing very well imho.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to SaltySteed)
Post #: 2
RE: Did I get wrong version??? - 1/4/2007 10:16:04 AM   
441.tfs.caf

This was DEFINATELY NOT WORTH 60 BUCKS>
It just looks like crap.. im sorry.
Get it back to the classical interface or a refund for a bunch of us is in order i think.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: Did I get wrong version??? - 1/4/2007 11:40:45 AM   
Dagooz

The interface havent changed much since H2 that came in the middle 90's. But if you are thinking about Harpoon Classic, that should be available in an updated version as well though I have no idea were.

(in reply to 441.tfs.caf)
Post #: 4
RE: Did I get wrong version??? - 1/5/2007 7:04:18 AM   
Jeff Gilbert

Sorry, posted to wrong topic.

< Message edited by Jeff Gilbert -- 1/5/2007 7:18:15 AM >

Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA

(in reply to Dagooz)
Post #: 5
RE: Did I get wrong version??? - 1/5/2007 8:00:32 AM   
TonyE

The newest Harpoon Classic will release one of these months, until then if you are that gung ho that you wouldn't wait, you can buy HC Gold from http://www.advancedgaming.biz/index.php?cevent=page.view&id=43, no word yet on upgrade policy from HC Gold to HCE.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Jeff Gilbert)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Did I get wrong version??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI