Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stupid Generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Stupid Generals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 3:02:53 AM   
Artmiser

What are the mechanics behind a brigade going off on its own and usually getting wiped out.

This seems to occur most often, for me at least, with brigades with generals attatched. Now having some retard of a 1st star whose daddy was a senator is one thing, but having what are supposed to be good generals doing it is something else.

I had Doubleday leave the trenchies and get wiped out, Ive had Chamberlain leave the lines. This is very frustrating in detailed battles, I expect my best generals to control there brigades not be controlled by them.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
Post #: 1
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 3:08:49 AM   
Gil R.

Generals aren't doing that -- that must be a unit going out of command. (Was it?) Generals do not direct the movements of units in HW, so what might be happening -- the only explanation for such a pattern -- is that since generals give morale bonuses to their brigades and raise their potential attack damage the AI is likely to be more aggressive with those units that have generals attached. But the only time the AI will be in control of one of your units is when it's out of command, so be sure to restore command of these units as soon as you can.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 2
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 3:25:25 AM   
Artmiser

I was in a line, each brigade in each divison side by side, entrenched. Twice last battle a briagde left the line and moved into the enemy to attack. 99% of the time its wiped out, the ai see's the brigade as a week point in your defences and swarms it.

If your saying the attacking troops projected, so to speak, a yellow zone over the brigade and caused it to fall out of command? That has happened several times, heck when bullets are flying having a brigade automaticly shoot im ok with. Its the suicidal moves into the enemy thats bad. Ive chased after brigades with my entire army in attempts to salvage things.

I guess what bugs me is I can never seem to get the ai to abandon its trenches as mine have been know to.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 3:27:38 AM   
Gil R.

No, out-of-command is something different. (See manual.) If you had a unit charge out of the trenches on its own it must have been out-of-command. The yellow and red hexes showing areas where lines of communication are tenuous cannot cause a unit to go out-of-command.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 4
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 3:29:05 AM   
Hard Sarge

it sounds like a out of command thing, the AI takes over, any time you take at least 10 losses, you may have to take morale check (depending on Div skill levels), you fail and go out of command, the AI tends to do just what you do not want it too

at times, when you see the AI do something totally dumb, it was out of command also

(watch for the Bde flag to go faded)

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 5
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 4:47:52 AM   
Artmiser

Thanks Sarge, I understand why the out of command happens now, Future thing you may need to factor in.  If a general is in the unit, a 2nd check is made based on his abilities.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/12/2006 10:51:58 PM   
rockmedic109

Could the unit have "Wild" attribute? I think it says they will charge on their own under certain conditions.

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 12/12/2006 11:00:15 PM >

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 7
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 2:00:28 AM   
Malagant

The "Out of Command" feature is one of my favorite aspects of this game.

Think of Sickles at Gettysburg. He was ordered to hold a particular position, but decided on his own to move somewhere else, and (arguably) wrecked his corps and gave the CSA their only real chance for a win on that battlefield.

I think this is modelled wonderfully at the Brigade level in the game, but it would be fun to see entire commands (divisions or corps) go 'out of command' and start doing their own thing!

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 8
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 2:10:46 AM   
Artmiser

Disagree with you there Malagant, yeah we can all pull times when these things happened.  But in general it didnt, it should be a rare occurence instead of a common one.   If anything if you lose control of a brigade it should just stand there and defend itself while its commanders try and get it moving again.

Rock im not sure, the brigade didnt, but could the general have that attribute and the brigade be effected by it even if you cant see it>?

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 9
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 2:28:40 AM   
Malagant

If we can all think of times when it happend, then it should be modelled in the game.

The only time units really run off on their own is if the player doesn't notice they've gone out of command and gets them back in command right away (like in the real war, the commander has to send a courier or staff to redirect a subordinate)...or doesn't have an adequate command staff to handle the number of 'issues' that have arisen.

I guess my only real issue with the implementation of this feature is that with unit flags on it is very hard to tell when a unit has gone "Out Of Command", which results in a player not being able to get control of it until it runs off doing what it thinks is best

Maybe a pop-up to tell us when a unit is out of command, or make the star visible when flags are on?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artmiser

Disagree with you there Malagant, yeah we can all pull times when these things happened.  But in general it didnt, it should be a rare occurence instead of a common one.   If anything if you lose control of a brigade it should just stand there and defend itself while its commanders try and get it moving again.

Rock im not sure, the brigade didnt, but could the general have that attribute and the brigade be effected by it even if you cant see it>?

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 10
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 3:21:13 AM   
Artmiser

But being able to think of times does not equate to every battle,  and maybe im missing something but getting units "back in Command" I recently had a battle where for the last half of it I wasnt controlling anything.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 11
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 3:31:51 AM   
Malagant

There's a Return Unit to Command button, click on it, and click on the unit you want to return to command. It's instant, and always works...though you're only allowed a limited number of returns per turn (based on general & staff ratings).

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 12
RE: Stupid Generals - 12/13/2006 6:04:55 AM   
rockmedic109

I'm not sure Art. Haven't seen either yet in my battles, just read through the attributes. But I am quite an idiot. Took me awhile to figure out how to change facing and charge {hangs head in shame}.

(in reply to Artmiser)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Stupid Generals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI