Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My List...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> My List... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My List... - 12/12/2006 12:40:03 AM   
ericbabe

Thank you all for the very useful posts to the Support area.

I wanted to write to give you a sense of the "big picture" of the issues that have been reported and of our progress toward the next update.

Presently there are 39 items on my to-do list derived from the forum and from our own testing, things I've jotted down since the game's release. 19 of these are marked as "fixed" or "fixed?" (which means may be fixed but need to be tested). Of the remaining 20, 6 are improvements to the existing interface rather than issues that need to be resolved.

Looking over the remainder of the items on the list, I am planning to give first priority to those items that most affect game play (the undestroyable gunboats are at the top of this list) and that are reported by the most people, then work toward those items that have less of an affect on game play and that are reported by fewer people.

Thank you again for the reports and for the other help you've all given us.

Post #: 1
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 1:07:23 AM   
steveuk

Thanks Eric for showing an interest in the game and the people who play it. 

To re-cap I have just a few main play issues;
1) The A.I.'s ability to withdraw or not enter battle if it's will is too low compared to the defender.
2) The message prompt box which should appear when pressing retreat or quick battle in tactical battle mode. This sometimes appears under the game interface and although it can be clicked on by minimizing the battle screen that sometimes seems to cause further problems.
3) Calvary in line that lose sufficient numbers.  The icon becomes invisible on the battlefield unless you put them into column.

Cheers. 

It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 2
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 1:25:47 AM   
Malagant

Eric,

I very sincerely thank you for all the support you continue to provide, and the frankness and honesty you display when dealing with your communities.

You make first-class games, and are a first-class human being!

Thank you!!

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 3
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 9:08:00 AM   
marecone

I second that

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 4
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 10:26:41 AM   
marecone

Eric, can we see your to-do list? That could help both you and us

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 5
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 10:36:35 PM   
ericbabe

OK, here is The List. 

FOF To Do List
--------------
1) AI attacker in HW sometimes stalls and does nothing.  Detect this and either tell

AI to retreat.

2) FIX1.2.2: Copy generals' special abilities to other scenarios from main.

3) Is it First Sgt. or Sgt. level that has no bonuses or penalties for the AI? 

Manual says First Sgt., but game seems to show this for just Sgt.

4) FIX1.2.3: No cities in low animation mode?

5) FIX1.2.2: Siege related CTD.

6) FIX1.2.2: Freezing interface.

7) FIXED: V1.2.4: "Very stronger"

8) Show governor loyalty on city screen, other info?

9) FIX1.2.2: Backspace key changes AI moves?  (As US human)

10) "" in guns.txt file read. (Code to remove seems to be there already. ???)

11) Add "always instant combat" preference

12) Add mousewheel/arrow support for Overview scrolling.

13) CHANGE V1.2.4: Add disease variables to AcwConstants file.

14) Change Overview map to show brigades, garrisons, raiders, et al.

15) FIX V1.2.4: Nefas submarine on land?

16) Prefer to retreat to home provinces w/o enemies

17) TCPIP: Client sb getting popup boxes?

18) ? Make repair fort orders persistent.

19) FIXED: V1.2.4: US nefas buy blockade runners

20)  FIXED: V1.2.4: Battle VP's nefas going -6 to +6?
20a)  Report on changes of VP's from battles; perhaps remember names of last 3

battles that changed VP's.

21) Governor thanks all for doing something. (Which categories??)

22) FIXED: V1.2.4: Strength lost during battle in unit history report reported

incorrectly. (Prebattle strength was not initialized for reinforcements.)

23) FIXED?: V1.2.4: Getting two versions of legendary units.

24) FIXED: V1.2.4: 6pdr no icon in quick combat?  Others?  Do systematic test of

artillery gfx. (Graphics files were not named properly.)

25) Update tooltip for medical attrib mention disease prevention (if room).

26) FIXED?: V1.2.4: Should always be able to build camps regardless of city support

level.

27) FIXED: V1.2.4: Using the "attack" option on a city doesn't seem to work.

28) Gunboats not being captured/destroyed when enemy loses battle in province (? All

cases.)  Are gunboats incorrectly blocking the capture of a province?

29) Can't read credits some machines. (Font used by .swf file seems not to be a

standard windows font.)

30) Reinforcements for hexwar: some not arriving (maybe assoc w/ corps/div bonus or

else telegraph or sim.)  Reported as arriving but seeming not to, perhaps 2nd

reinf/turn from bonus.

31) Report info lost when game is saved during detailed battle.

32) ? Implement undo key on advisor screens.

33) Governor elections only in 1862???  Code doesn't seem to indicate; prob in data

or reading data??  Ask testers verify.

34) FIXED?: V1.2.4: Units on same side picking up abandoned weapons.  (Added

additional prevention line.)

35) FIXED: V1.2.4: Bug: Can nefas buy units in cities when don't control governor

from the City Details screen.

36) Restore to command shouldn't use up a use when clicking on a unit already in-

command.

37) If AI is greatly out WTF'd, then have it withdraw.

38) Implement TCP/IP save in detailed battle??

39) Calvary in line in HW invis with sufficiently low strength.

Nota bene: "sb" is "should be" and "nefas" is a word I use to mean not functioning contrary to design or documentation.

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 6
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 11:23:32 PM   
Concord Dan

Is the 2nd detailed battle in a session (TCPIP) always causing a CTD for the client in that list? If there is anything else you need let me know.
Pretty Please - I can do without the multiplay save if this could be fixed ;-)
Thanks

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: My List... - 12/12/2006 11:30:54 PM   
spruce

hey Eric, great you giving us some feedback !

(in reply to Concord Dan)
Post #: 8
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 1:28:27 AM   
ckk

Yep Thanx

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 9
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 4:03:19 AM   
steveuk

Thanks Eric...I see you have addressed a couple of my main concerns.
I have just posted in the wish list thread. I hope some of these changes can also be considered.

Cheers.

It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

(in reply to ckk)
Post #: 10
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 2:53:09 PM   
marecone

Thanks Eric

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to steveuk)
Post #: 11
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 3:45:12 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Concord Dan
Is the 2nd detailed battle in a session (TCPIP) always causing a CTD for the client in that list? If there is anything else you need let me know.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Have you reported this on another thread already, if so I apologize for having missed it (I sometimes miss reports, esp. when they are made in other threads). The problem you describe probably isn't caused by that which you describe in general since we play LAN games with multiple battles with no problems for the client.

Post #: 12
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 3:50:47 PM   
marecone

Eric, two more things if it is not too much to ask.
1. When you click in city list to sort by developments and some other categories it never happens. Somebody mentioned that somewhere and I second that
2. What about stats at the end of the game? Victories, towns taken, armies raised.... More then few people supported that idea.

Thank you

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 13
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 6:11:18 PM   
Concord Dan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

quote:

Is anyone else experiencing this? Have you reported this on another thread already, if so I apologize for having missed it (I sometimes miss reports, esp. when they are made in other threads). The problem you describe probably isn't caused by that which you describe in general since we play LAN games with multiple battles with no problems for the client.

Are you playing detailed battles in your games? ( My brother believes we are the ONLY people in the world playing TCPIP with Detailed battles.) It is only detailed battles that causes the problem in the same session.

We can have a turn where we have a quick battle then a detailed then a quick then a detailed. Or a turn where we have a detailed followed by a detailed. It does not matter even across turns ( turn one detailed battle turn 2 detailed battle CTD.) The 2nd detailed is where the client has a CTD 100% of the time. We reported it earlier in a thread here. I understand missing it due to all the requests that have been made here recently.

Our solution is to only allow one detailed battle per turn. After the turn with the detailed battle, we save and load the game again so we can have another detailed battle.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 14
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 7:58:47 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: marecone
1. When you click in city list to sort by developments and some other categories it never happens. Somebody mentioned that somewhere and I second that
2. What about stats at the end of the game? Victories, towns taken, armies raised.... More then few people supported that idea.

I added #1 to my list as something to fix. #2 is a bit more ambitious than I'd like to work on right now, but if it's in the Wish List then it'll make our long list and we'll consider it at some point.

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 15
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 8:01:37 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

Are you playing detailed battles in your games? ( My brother believes we are the ONLY people in the world playing TCPIP with Detailed battles.) It is only detailed battles that causes the problem in the same session.

We are. I will try it again this afternoon -- it may have been caused by something introduced late in development; we haven't done a full run-through of TCP/IP features in a few weeks and so we may have missed it. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is the error producing a message?

Post #: 16
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 8:13:04 PM   
Ron

Re 
24: I have noticed the missing graphic with the Napoleon also.
28: Yes they prevent capture.
31: Good to see this fixed, very annoying to have the Events and Battle results almost completely missing.
36: Thank you, made that mistake many times as it is hard to tell which unit is actually out of command.

A couple general comments on the strategic AI behaviour.

1: When invading my territory(CSA) the Union AI twice never left any troops behind to guard its line of communications. As a result they were easily cutoff and then destroyed - ie 3 Army group and ~ 7 Division containers being disbanded because they had nowhere to go!

2: I had removed the garrisons from the 2 smaller forts in Fredricksburg and the Union AI has continually sent small suicide forces to try and capture them even when hopelessly outnumbered. It doesn't seem to see that. Even worse, if battle is avoided it seiges and captures the empty fort then tries to sent in single brigades to garrison it - again all to the AI's detriment.

3: Similar to above but with the Union AI's Naval Fleet and invasion force. I had successfully intercepted a small fleet/invasion force several times(it never tried to combine its Fleets) but continually tried to land the force. When it finally did there were no more ships and no more troops so lost the Fleet and Division container.

On another note I just remembered a QB with the AI where it had a 10lb Parrot Rifle Artillery unit. On four occasions during the battle, said unit inflicted between 5000-6000 casualties each 'shot', other times 1000-2000 casualties. Seems disapprotionately high.

Thanks for the support.

< Message edited by Ron -- 12/13/2006 8:49:12 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: My List... - 12/13/2006 9:10:21 PM   
Concord Dan

quote:

Is the error producing a message?

Only the standard MS Windows XP error message ... Send report to MS to tell us of this problem. I could read the dump if needed.

Thanks again GREAT game

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 18
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 8:13:36 AM   
R.E.LEE

Hi eric i was just gona buy the game when i saw all the bugs in your list r they now fixed or will they be there if i buy the game now,game looks awesome BUT i must no if these issues r fixed thank you.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 19
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 8:28:11 AM   
AU Tiger

Go ahead and buy. It is a good game, and any patches are readily available.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 20
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 8:30:46 AM   
AndrewKurtz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marecone

I added #1 to my list as something to fix. #2 is a bit more ambitious than I'd like to work on right now, but if it's in the Wish List then it'll make our long list and we'll consider it at some point.

Regarding #2 above, what about starting with allowing the reports to be viewed before leaving the game?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 21
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 8:30:58 AM   
R.E.LEE

THANKS WHERE DO U GET THE PATCHES--THERE R NO DOWNLOADS AT FOF HOMEPAGE
quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Go ahead and buy. It is a good game, and any patches are readily available.

< Message edited by R.E.LEE -- 12/14/2006 8:47:03 AM >

(in reply to AU Tiger)
Post #: 22
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 10:08:19 AM   
R.E.LEE

HI ANYONE NO WHERE THE PATCHES ARE PLZZZZZZZ.

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 23
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 11:33:05 AM   
Gil R.

Go here: http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=333

(I found it by going to GAMES, then choosing "Forge of Freedom," and clicking on the "Downloads" link.)

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 24
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 11:38:54 AM   
Twotribes

In case no one mentioned it.... Siege artillery doesnt seem to die. I sent a Corps to Norfolk and it was handily crushed by the Army of Northern Virginia. The entire Corps was forced to surrender. EXCEPT the siege artillery did NOT surrender, none of the containers were destroyed and none of the officers effected because that single Siege Artillery unit did not die.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 25
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 4:24:12 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron
31: Good to see this fixed, very annoying to have the Events and Battle results almost completely missing.

It's not yet fixed... the ones that are fixed have the word "FIXED" next to them.

quote:

On another note I just remembered a QB with the AI where it had a 10lb Parrot Rifle Artillery unit. On four occasions during the battle, said unit inflicted between 5000-6000 casualties each 'shot', other times 1000-2000 casualties. Seems disapprotionately high.

Under normal circumstances (looking over the math in my code) 10 pdr Parrots shouldn't be doing this much damage, but if there are defender bonuses or weather effects it seems as though they can do this much on average in some situations. If the consensus of the feedback I receive is that artillery do too much damage in quick combat or detailed combat, I'll be happy to reduce it, but I would like to get more feedback before making any changes.

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 26
RE: My List... - 12/14/2006 4:37:55 PM   
elmo3

*Maybe* against a repeatedly charging enemy an artillery unit could do 1000 casualties for an entire battle but not that many per round of combat. That seems out of line even under the best circumstances for the arty. I have no historical examples either way, it's just my gut feeling that it is too high.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 27
RE: My List... - 12/15/2006 12:46:16 AM   
Ron

Well after running a few 'tests' last night perhaps it was the Ordinance Rifle doing the 5000+ casualties and the Parrott doing the 1000-2000 in QBs. Again they both seem quite high.

In my current game as the CSA the Union has kept repeatedly going after Fredericksburg in the Spring/Summer 62. The first two battles (detailed) were quite sizeable - Union 150000 vs CSA 100000 then Union 115000 vs CSA 85000. After that the Union began sending progressively smaller forces after suffering over 50000 casualties previously. I fought the smaller ones as QBs and noticed right away the Union artillery doing massive damage. The CSA would 'win' suffering 20000-25000 casualties to the Unions 8-10000, even though the CSA outnumbered the Union by 3 or 4 to 1. The kicker being the Union's artillery.

It happened twice before last night I decided to replay a turn repeatedly to see what was going on. The Union had a Parrott and Ordinance artillery, they were almost always placed in the Charge and Attack rows(sometimes having the proper graphic but other times showing a Zouve Infantry) and rarely seemed to rout - no matter what I did in response, ie placing my own artillery there(if it showed up!! kind of annoying to have 3 artillery in the Army and none show up in the QB!) or placing high morale units up front. Those guns just dished out the damage. When my own artillery showed up - a Napoleon or Parrot - they never achieved what the Union guns did. Now either I am a total idiot with QBs(even after much experience with COG) or I am missing something here.

The funny thing is if I run the same battles with the Instant battle feature, the Union never once achieved the high levels of casualties it does with the QBs. The casualties were always on par, about 8000-10000 apiece. Food for thought.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 28
RE: My List... - 12/15/2006 3:26:45 PM   
ericbabe

Oddly, Instant Battle just uses an invisible version of Quick Battle, so I'm not sure why the results are skewed.  Need more data perhaps.

On which difficulty level are you playing?  The AI gets a damage and morale bonus that corresponds to difficulty level, and this bonus becomes much higher at any of the "general" levels.  At high difficulties, this would explain the discrepancy.

For the next patch, I can try reducing the QB damage of artillery by 50%... any other opinions?

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 29
RE: My List... - 12/15/2006 9:24:18 PM   
Mike Scholl

I just had an "oddity" turn up. The Governor of Ohio decided he was going to die if he didn't have a Signal Tower (or whatever dire consequences these politico's imagine when they get all worked up). So I built him one in Cincinatti. The next turn he was still asking for one. When it was finished he was still asking for one.

Do the game and the Governor know that Cincinatti is IN Ohio?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> My List... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI