Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Landing at New Orleans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Landing at New Orleans Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 2:10:06 PM   
Nibelung

Sorry if this has been asked before, but even after some heavy browsing in the manual (I have not read the 250 pages but a good half of it), I'm still unable to figure how to load troops on ships and then land in confederate territory (like they did in New Orleans)

Any input on that please?

Post #: 1
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 2:20:09 PM   
JonReb

You just select the force you wish to board upon a fleet and then order them onto the fleet by clicking on it when there is a Down Arrow (Which means attaching).

Then you move the fleet wherever you wish and do the reverse, select your land units on the ship and move them onto land by clicking on it when there is the Unload text next to your cursor.

One thing to keep in mind is there is a limit of only 3 units per ship. So if you try to attach too many land units it won't work.

< Message edited by JonReb -- 12/7/2006 2:29:01 PM >

(in reply to Nibelung)
Post #: 2
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 2:56:30 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

You just select the force you wish to board upon a fleet and then order them onto the fleet by clicking on it when there is a Down Arrow (Which means attaching).

Then you move the fleet wherever you wish and do the reverse, select your land units on the ship and move them onto land by clicking on it when there is the Unload text next to your cursor.

One thing to keep in mind is there is a limit of only 3 units per ship. So if you try to attach too many land units it won't work.

One more thing I'd add is that the ship has to be in port (in the land province with a port city) in order to accept troops. You can't just leave them off the coast for boarding.

(in reply to JonReb)
Post #: 3
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 3:08:52 PM   
Nibelung

understood, I tried to board while the ship was on the coast. The rule is in the movement paragraph I suppose, but my eyes failed me.

< Message edited by Nibelung -- 12/7/2006 3:19:15 PM >

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 4
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 4:05:19 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain
One more thing I'd add is that the ship has to be in port (in the land province with a port city) in order to accept troops. You can't just leave them off the coast for boarding.

This would mean a unit can land in a province, but is unable to board back?
Is this a game design feature?

< Message edited by Gibbon -- 12/7/2006 4:15:59 PM >

McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?"
Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men."
McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron."

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 5
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 4:08:29 PM   
Twotribes

I think ( havent tried) that a fleet can enter a province even if enemy controlled? Or hopefully can enter one if its own ground forces are there?

Personally since you cant capture the city I dont see a big need to invade.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 6
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 4:26:09 PM   
JonReb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

This would mean a unit can land in a province, but is unable to board back?
Is this a game design feature?

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that the ships will supply any landed units as long as the ships stay there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I think ( havent tried) that a fleet can enter a province even if enemy controlled? Or hopefully can enter one if its own ground forces are there?

Personally since you cant capture the city I dont see a big need to invade.

Yes, you can send your fleet wherever you want unless of course they meet resistance. Who said you can't capture cities?

< Message edited by JonReb -- 12/7/2006 4:45:47 PM >

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 7
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 4:35:19 PM   
ericbabe

You can capture cities/forts, but you can't occupy the province unless it's adjacent to another province you already control.

(in reply to JonReb)
Post #: 8
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 4:43:33 PM   
JonReb

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

You can capture cities/forts, but you can't occupy the province unless it's adjacent to another province you already control.

Forgot about that. Of course they can still disrupt resources from the area and can cause unrest?

< Message edited by JonReb -- 12/7/2006 4:52:03 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/7/2006 7:10:00 PM   
tc237

As the USA, I captured Charleston, SC and was able to Build my own buildings there.
Didn't get a chance to Produce units, the siege crash got me....

(in reply to JonReb)
Post #: 10
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/8/2006 12:03:44 AM   
Gil R.

Some more advice: don't forget the swampy provinces, or provinces near swampy provinces, have a 10% higher rate of casualties from disease, so if you're going to attack New Orleans and have some extra cash you should buy the "Medical" attribute for some/all of your brigades, since this cuts disease's effects in half (as described in the manual at A.9.3, though not in the Appendix).

(in reply to tc237)
Post #: 11
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/8/2006 1:35:34 PM   
Gibbon

Thanks for all these tips.

I'm still puzzled by the "province landing/no reembarkment allowed" rule for provinces without harbour. Why units which are able to go from my fleet to the coastline even without harbour would not be able to do the reverse way?

Am I getting something wrong? Is this work as designed?

It'll be great if a beta or a dev could explain the logic behind this rule, because I feel it's quite restrictive compared to reality, ni big deal though.

Thanks

< Message edited by Gibbon -- 12/8/2006 1:46:03 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/9/2006 2:10:31 AM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gibbon

Thanks for all these tips.

I'm still puzzled by the "province landing/no reembarkment allowed" rule for provinces without harbour. Why units which are able to go from my fleet to the coastline even without harbour would not be able to do the reverse way?

Am I getting something wrong? Is this work as designed?

It'll be great if a beta or a dev could explain the logic behind this rule, because I feel it's quite restrictive compared to reality, ni big deal though.

Thanks

I'm trying to d/l the game still...

I imagine that it is designed that way to prevent game exploitation (gamey factor), forcing you to make careful and wise decision about where to land, without being able to take troops out of there quickly if facing a bigger enemy etc.

Still, it would seem that a solution could have been made that only say 50% of troops could re-embark, which would still allow some realism while penalizing the player trying to exploit the game...

just my 2 cents... can't wait to actually play.

"I keep re-inventing myself"

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 13
RE: Landing at New Orleans - 12/13/2006 5:34:57 PM   
Gibbon

Yep, I can see what you mean.

I'm always uneasy with gameplay limitations.

I tend to agree with your suggestion. For example, making the invasion/re-embarkment process slow and uneasy, letting your landing force exposed to a deadly counter-attack would have been more elegant and realistic.

With the chosen solution, the player is left with the supposition that the troops burn down their boats after they've landed on the ennemy coast.

Wow, very "persian"

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Landing at New Orleans Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI