Update V

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

Hard Sarge

Update V

Post by Hard Sarge »

just so you know, we still at work, just not doing too much talking

a lot of the art work is coming in and being added to the game

which is screwy, as before, we didn't want to show off all the placeholder art, now we don't want to show off simi finished art

but it is looking good and we making time
jchastain

RE: Update V

Post by jchastain »

Thanks for the update Sarge.  Keep cracking that whip.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

LOL
don't you got a AAR to write or something :)

got to say though, the Artwork is looking sweet

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Grrr come on guys I was hoping for this one prior to Xmas at least one of my WITP PBEM opponents will need to recieve an allied 4E bomber slapping !!!
pauk

Post by pauk »

[:D]...i guess it isn't me[:D]
oi_you_nutter

Post by oi_you_nutter »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

just so you know, we still at work, just not doing too much talking

a lot of the art work is coming in and being added to the game

which is screwy, as before, we didn't want to show off all the placeholder art, now we don't want to show off simi finished art

but it is looking good and we making time

heres a silly question,

BTR and BoB were sperate games, is the Matrix Edition going to be one game or two ?
ugh
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well

that depends on your point of view

[:-][:-][:-]

but over all, here is how it works

both games will be working from the same engine, so what ever rules or actions that work in one, will work in the other, so in that case, they will be one game, just different data and maps

the game will begin and you have to pick if you want to play ED or play BTR, once you go though that menu, then it is a single game

so, it will be one game, that you can play either or in

you will not be able to start a ED game and have it keep going into BTR, that is beyound us right now

(that idea has been offered more then a few times as a wish list idea, and it may be worked on, but way down the road, and I mean, way down the road, we got alot of other ideas we would like to try to add in later first)

I hope that explains it

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Have the dates of play been changed for the two games particularly BTR or is it still the same date Aug 17th 43 that the game starts
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

for this verison, the dates have been kept the same

down the road, we were hopeing to either have a earlier date, or a different campaign for the the Start of BoB

not really much talk about a different start date for BTR (anything in mind ?)
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Hard Sarge,

Well....now that you have opened up Pandoras box....

I know people have complained that if you started BTR earlier (eg the first US raid on Rouen) the Allied player would be bored.  However as a compromise, how about starting at Operation Husky with the Sicilian airfields in Axis hands but scheduled to change over to Allied use.  If that were difficult (from a coding perspective), you could have the Sicilian airfields abandoned by the Axis and coming on stream for the Allies.  With this start we get an additional 4 weeks use of the RA and the Allied player would not be bored because he would have to knock out Axis airfields in southern Italy.

Alfred
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

this is the kind of game where if you get bored plotting small raids you should just not play it at all.  Baby steps and all[:D]
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Any chance of an editor of some sort?[:)]
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Hard Sarge,

Well....now that you have opened up Pandoras box....

I know people have complained that if you started BTR earlier (eg the first US raid on Rouen) the Allied player would be bored. However as a compromise, how about starting at Operation Husky with the Sicilian airfields in Axis hands but scheduled to change over to Allied use. If that were difficult (from a coding perspective), you could have the Sicilian airfields abandoned by the Axis and coming on stream for the Allies. With this start we get an additional 4 weeks use of the RA and the Allied player would not be bored because he would have to knock out Axis airfields in southern Italy.

Alfred

sorry for the delay in getting back to you

the biggest trouble for dates, is reseach, if we got the info, most times we can work out how to get the info into the game (by the end of July, there were 21 AFs on Sicly, in our game, I got 21 AFs, so I think I got most of them)

I do like the idea of the early battle for Sardina and Sicly, but would have to work out the ground battle side of the thing

I think it is something we can think about
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: The Dude

this is the kind of game where if you get bored plotting small raids you should just not play it at all. Baby steps and all[:D]

at times, some of the plotting and correcting can be the fun part :)

even more so, when it all comes together and works the way you wanted it to

(always hate it, when you get everything just right and either toss in a last second raid, or weather screws up a raid, and it takes off and draws all the enemy right into all the raids you had spent so much time working out how they would be clean going in)

which if you play like I do, the plotting can be the real game :)
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: pad152

Any chance of an editor of some sort?[:)]

maybe down the road a bit, do not forsee one with the release of the game

plus in the long run, I think we will have to think very HARD about it, there is a lot of data and code, that need to in the right order for the game to work right, if the player changes it, it will not work the way you would expect, we have gotten alot of these places out of the game, but others were have to be kept
fochinell

Post by fochinell »

I know people have complained that if you started BTR earlier (eg the first US raid on Rouen) the Allied player would be bored.

If this refers to my post on the matter, I was suggesting it as an extra campaign, similar to the jet age one. Most of the AF's already exist, and the major OB changes would boil down to one major transfer of RAF and USAAF units from the UK to the 12th AF and Med Air Command for TORCH, and then another transfer of units from the MTO to the UK in the spring of '44 - which is already reflected to some degree by the existing OB. Other than that a simple time delay on Axis factories coming on line would cover the difference in production between August '42 and August '43, plus a time delay on units arriving which already exists. I assumed most of this would be covered by existing database entries.

Aside from any programming issues, I don't see why a 1000-turn game should be any more boring than a 700-turn game; the challenge would be in using the limited resources on both sides effectively. I suspect the real problem would be the scoring under the existing system, with terror points being the only way for the Allied player to stay in the game for the first 12 months.

This isn't a serious contender for a high priority task for HS and his team right now, just an idea to kick around for the future.

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I think it is worth talking about, but then the trouble is getting the reseach, and working out which time is the best to try and get it started at

but really do want to stay away from the shifting of forces between commands, that is a bit of a issue
fochinell

Post by fochinell »

I think it is worth talking about, but then the trouble is getting the reseach, and working out which time is the best to try and get it started at

but really do want to stay away from the shifting of forces between commands, that is a bit of a issue

Well, the real problem sounds like the Torch issue, where several 8th AF units move to the 12th AF, and RAF units in the UK move to Eastern Command in North West Africa. After that, the only major shuffle between commands is the RAF movement of fighter units back to the UK before Overlord, which is already covered by the August '43 OB. If Torch is the problem, I suppose you could start it in January '43 for the first 8th AF raid on Germany or any time after that.
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

I've looked through all these threads and it seems as though the release of BTR is near...but I didn't see a release date anywhere...and I didn't see it for sale over in the store section.  I played bombing the reich before and it's a super fun game, one of the most immersive of all time IMO...and I'd like to play it again...some day.  :)

Is there a general date by which the game is expected to be released?  Such as "Fall 2007" or "around December 2007" or something like that?

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Hi Guys

some of what I been working on the last few days

here is the GB OOB for 41

(I see one name I need to change, thought I had gotten it, it was on the list, but must of missed it)

and still waiting on some info for a few other units I want to add to the OOB to stick with the story line of the battle (it is a What if, so What if ...)

Attachments
41oobI.jpg
41oobI.jpg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”