Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: World War II Naval Library

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: World War II Naval Library Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World War II Naval Library - 11/26/2006 12:09:12 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

A few more, some not so easy to find:

The Independence Class Light Aircraft Carriers - Andrew Faltum - ISBN 1-877853-62-3
Warship Losses of World War II - David Brown - ISBN 0-85368-802-8
US Merchant Vessel War Casualties of World War II - Robert M.Browning Jr. - ISBN 1-55750-087-8
US Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters 1790-1935 - Donald L Canney - ISBN 1-55750-101-7
Australian and New Zealand Warships 1914-1945 - Ross Gillett - ISBN 0-86824 095 8
Royal Australian Navy 1939-1942 - G. Hermon Gill - Official History, no identifying number found
Royal Australian Navy 1942-1945 - G. Hermon Gill - Official History, National LIbrary of Australia Registry Number Aus 68-1798
Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet 1939 - James C Fahey - Reprint ISBN 0-87021-633-3
Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, Two Ocean Fleet Edition (1942) - James C Fahey - Reprint ISBN 0-87021-634-1
Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, War Editon (1942) - James C Fahey - Reprint ISBN 0-87021-635-x
Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, Victory Editon (1945) - James C Fahey - Reprint ISBN 0-87021-636-8
Navies of the Second World War: Royal Netherlands Navy - H.T. Lenton - Library of Congress Card Number 66-13603
Ugly Ducklings, Japan's WWII Liberty TYpe Standard Ships - S.C. Heal - ISBN 1-59114-888-X
The Japanese Merchant Marine in World War II - Mark P Parillo - ISBN 1-55750-677-9
Empire Ships (A Record of British Built and Acquired Merchant Ships during the Second World War) W.H. Mitchell and L.A. Sawyer - ISBN 1-85004-275-5
Destination Corregidor - Robert L. Underbrink - ISBN 0-87021-142-0

Sheeeeeesh!...Don is such a show off, with catalog card numbers and everything....

Er...uhh...I mean...Here are some more of my favourites:

Lonely Vigil.(Coastwatchers of the Solomons)..Walter Lord

The Coast Watchers...Commander Eric Feldt

Both are phenomonal sources that really shed light on the deeds and events portrayed in WITP each turn!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 31
RE: World War II Naval Library - 11/26/2006 12:41:32 AM   
mordrynge

Alan Brooke's War Diaries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Diaries-1939-1945-Marshall-Alanbrooke/dp/1842125265/sr=8-4/qid=1164492603/ref=sr_1_4/026-0085465-3110021?ie=UTF8&s=books

Brooke was British chief of the general staff (CIGS) for much of the war. The memoirs are particularly interesting as they were actually written over the course of the war, when the outcome was not known and so don't suffer from a we won so it must have been right viewpoint. Originally published in two volumes edited by Arthur Bryant. More recently the complete diaries were published. Bryant had tactfully edited out some criticisms of allied leaders particularly Churchill. Both Bryant's volumes (Turn of the tide, Triumph in the West which have extensive additional commentary) and the unexpurgated version are good. Brooke is particularly fascinating on the relationships between the allied leaders and their differences in strategy (including who fell asleep at staff meetings). Of course the focus is mainly on the war in Europe rather than the Pacific, but he touches on the high level strategy of all theatres. Also Brooke is a very accomplished diarist which make his memoirs very easy to read.

M

< Message edited by mordrynge -- 11/26/2006 12:46:46 AM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 32
RE: World War II Naval Library - 11/26/2006 1:48:55 AM   
JWE

Different. Fun and exceptionally well written. Has stuff you may not see elsewhere.

KAIGUN, Startegy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887 - 1941, David C. Evans, Mark R. Peattie, Naval Institute Press, 1997

(in reply to mordrynge)
Post #: 33
RE: World War II Naval Library - 12/13/2006 12:02:18 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

Hey Don, thanks for sharing this great list with us, intresting !

has anyone this ? I think buying it for me for x-mas !

Naval Institute Guide To Combat Fleets Of The World 2005-2006: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 34
RE: World War II Naval Library - 12/13/2006 1:30:50 AM   
krishub1

New books on the Pacific War that look good:

"Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945"
Evan Thomas

"From Mahan to Pearl Harbor: The Imperial Japanese Navy and the United States"
Sadao Asada

"Battle for Leyte, 1944: Allied And Japanese Plans, Preparations, And Execution"
Milan N. Vego

"Aircraft Carriers: A History of Carrier Aviation and Its Influence on World Events, Volume 1: 1909-1945"
Norman Polmar

"Black Shoe Carrier Admiral: Frank Jack Fletcher at Coral Sea, Midway & Guadalcanal"
John B. Lundstrom

"Carrier Battles: Command Decision in Harm's Way"
Douglas V. Smith

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Time for some new book recommendations - 12/17/2006 2:08:58 AM   
waynec

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

I expect you've read some of these already, but here are my current favorites:

The Second World War - Winston S. Churchill - Dry at times, and it omits some data that's now non-confidential (e.g. Ultra) but it's a fascinating insight into the decision making process that guided the war. I'd recommend all 6 unabridged volumes as opposed to the 1 volume abridged version which is available.

The Rising Sun... - John Toland - An overview of the whole Pacific war largely from the Japanese point of view. It provides very interesting data on how Japan got involved with the war in China & then the Great Pacific War.

Shattered Sword - Jonathan Parshall - Challenges some of the myths of the Battle of Midway & provides a chilling account of how-it-was for the sailors of KB.

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - James Hornfischer - I only recently picked this up, but it's by far the best account of the battle off Samar that I've read.

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor - I've read a lot about that battle as it somehow fascinates me more than any other, and Antony Beevor's account is by far the most complete & intimate that I've personally come across.

Gudalcanal - Richard B. Frank - Great detail on both the land & sea battles around that island.

Fire in the Sky - Eric Bergerud - This probably should be higher in my list. It provides great understanding on the air war in the Solomons & New Guinea. And how/why the allies eventually got the upper hand. Very good book, IMO.

PLUS

COMBINED FLEET DECODED John Prados
KAIGUN (japanese strategy, tactics, ship design) Davis C Evans
THE FIRST TEAM John Lundstrom
CASTLES OF STEEL (ww1 at sea) Robert K. Massie
RISING SUN VICTORIOUS (alternate pacific war scenarios) ed Peter Tsouras any collection by him about alternate possible what if scenarios

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by waynec -- 12/17/2006 2:17:39 AM >

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Time for some new book recommendations - 12/17/2006 3:17:32 AM   
btaft

Shattered Sword - I have to put in another vote for this one, I just finished it and it is an excellent comprehensive study of Midway
Destruction of the Bismark
Making of the Atomic Bomb - Excellent comprehensive study into the incredible efforts to make it happen
Clear the Bridge - Very good history of the patrols of the US Sub Tang
Pacific Alamo - Detailed history with personal interests (i.e. like Ambrose) on the battle of Wake Island

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: Time for some new book recommendations - 12/17/2006 6:41:01 AM   
YankeeAirRat

I just finished Lundstroms new book about Frank Fletcher, http://www.amazon.com/Black-Shoe-Carrier-Admiral-Guadalcanal/dp/1591144752/sr=1-3/qid=1166329709/ref=sr_1_3/103-1697081-6972657?ie=UTF8&s=books, Titled "Black Shoe Carrier Admiral: Frank Jack Fletcher at Coral Sea, Midway, & Guadalcanal". It is a pretty good read, Lundsrom seems to make the point that Fletcher did what he had to due at the time which was preserve the carrier fleets that he commanded because that was all the US had at the time until the rest of the Rainbow fleet came out. THen he was dumped off to lead the US Naval forces in the Pacific Northwest and he is where he exelled just as well, through his tough leadership that Bremerton turned into a top quality shipyard, along with other improvements to the area for the defense of the region and he also was one of the biggest proponets of the Al-Can highway.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to btaft)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: World War II Naval Library Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI