Charging Artillery Batteries

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
Yank

Charging Artillery Batteries

Post by Yank »

Something for the developers to consider...In a recent tactical battle against the AI, I spotted five or six British artillery batteries that did not look like they had much infantry support. So I sent a strong column of six or seven regiments in cover and with a good leader, up their flank. Happily, I arrived with very few casualties. I thought I would capture or destroy the whole lot, and really should have. The British infantry was nowhere in sight. So I started assaulting the batteries, and the combat result every time was that the battery would lose one gun and retreat one hex, forcing me to chase them all over the map. Of course this allowed the British infantry to come to their rescue.

Attacking a battery from its flank, with facing away from the assaulting infantry, not allowing a blast with cannister, should cause a rout nearly every time with most or all of the battery being destroyed or captured.[:-]

Anyway, I like the game so far but the tactical battles do need some tweaking.
Ils ne passeront pas

rhondabrwn

RE: Charging Artillery Batteries

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Yank

Something for the developers to consider...In a recent tactical battle against the AI, I spotted five or six British artillery batteries that did not look like they had much infantry support. So I sent a strong column of six or seven regiments in cover and with a good leader, up their flank. Happily, I arrived with very few casualties. I thought I would capture or destroy the whole lot, and really should have. The British infantry was nowhere in sight. So I started assaulting the batteries, and the combat result every time was that the battery would lose one gun and retreat one hex, forcing me to chase them all over the map. Of course this allowed the British infantry to come to their rescue.

Attacking a battery from its flank, with facing away from the assaulting infantry, not allowing a blast with cannister, should cause a rout nearly every time with most or all of the battery being destroyed or captured.[:-]

Anyway, I like the game so far but the tactical battles do need some tweaking.

Yea, I've experienced pretty much the same thing. I'm expecting to overrun the guns, but they hop around like jackrabbits instead, but never rout.

I agree that the tactical battles need some tweaking, but it sure is rip roaring fun anyway!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

Excellent idea, we will change the system, so charged batteries will rout. We will not raise arty casualties, because that would make it even easier for human players against the AI.
Newman55thregiment

Post by Newman55thregiment »

I am a Revolutionary War reenactor who has studied the American Revolution since I was in third grade.

First of all I am delighted that the British artillery wears the correct colored coats. It really irritates me when games put them in red.

I have not played the game enough to fully critique it, but it is fun.

I could not complement the developer's more on their understanding that Rev War battles generally tended to have low casualties.

On the subject of artillery I have a few observations:

1. Artillery firing cannister or grape shot at short range could do a lot of damage to charging infantry and potentially route them. If they were outflanked that of course is a different story.

2. This was before the days of horse artillery. Both sides used civilian teams to move the guns around. Once in possition infantry might be used to assist the gunners in moving the guns.

3. Artilllery crews sometimes fought to the death to save the guns. The British artillery was particularily professional. For example the Royal artillery crew at the Battle of Cowpens refused to surrender or run, they were all killed or wounded even as the entire British/provincial army collapsed and the Provincial dragoons routed.

4. If the gun crews were overrun the civilian team was not likely to stick around to help rescue the guns. Ussually an overrun battery equaled a captured gun.

GRIII

Return to “The War Room”