Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

India

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> India Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
India - 11/9/2006 10:58:42 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

So here are the coastal and river/lake bitmaps for India.

From the Lut Desert to the Thar Desert. (Wasn't that Superman's nemesis - LutThar)?

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Post #: 1
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:01:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Where Tajikistan, Afghanistan, India, and Tibet meet. Bring your own pitons.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:04:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

For the Portugese: Goa and Damian. For the British: Bombay and Calcutta. But for those interested in Indian history: the Western and Eastern Ghats.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 3
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:06:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Now if the Maldive Islands are for people who do belly-flops, the Laccadive Islands for whom exactly?

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 4
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:07:52 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Ganges.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 5
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:09:28 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Burma. No wonder the fighting across the Burma-India border was so difficult.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 6
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:10:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Islands in the Indian Ocean, south of Burma.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 7
RE: India - 11/9/2006 11:12:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

8th and last in the series.

Inja, the jewel in the crown.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 8
RE: India - 11/10/2006 12:00:13 AM   
lomyrin

There are two cities named Hyderabad on this map. Should they not be distinguished from each other?

Lars

Post #: 9
RE: India - 11/10/2006 12:18:55 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin
There are two cities named Hyderabad on this map. Should they not be distinguished from each other?
Lars

Yes, and the WiF FE maps has this the very same way...
And normal maps too....
I did not look any further.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 10
RE: India - 11/10/2006 12:20:13 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Now if the Maldive Islands are for people who do belly-flops, the Laccadive Islands for whom exactly?

I feel that Rob may have been a bit heavy with the white-light blue coloring in the northern Laccadive, haven't he ?

Post #: 11
RE: India - 11/10/2006 12:21:50 AM   
ullern

It's that way in WIF FE too. ?

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 12
RE: India - 11/10/2006 12:26:21 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ullern

It's that way in WIF FE too. ?

What, the 2 Hyderăbăd ? Yes, it is the same.
One is in modern day Pakistan now.
Maybe someone should google it out, me for one want to watch one more "Prison break" episode now .

(in reply to ullern)
Post #: 13
RE: India - 11/10/2006 6:32:51 PM   
mlees

Map in post #1: Lake on Afghan/Persian border is missing it's NW and SE ends.

quote:

the Laccadive Islands for whom exactly?

People who delicately tip-toe into the water instead of running and jumping in. You live in Hawaii, right Steve? You forget, water can get cold...

Post #: 14
RE: India - 11/10/2006 7:16:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Map in post #1: Lake on Afghan/Persian border is missing it's NW and SE ends.

quote:

the Laccadive Islands for whom exactly?

People who delicately tip-toe into the water instead of running and jumping in. You live in Hawaii, right Steve? You forget, water can get cold...

Thanks for the clarification on Laccadive.

Oh yes, I know that water can get cold. If the ocean water temperatue drop below 75F all the Hawaiian locals will immediately tell you that it is freezing.

Steve

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 15
RE: India - 11/11/2006 2:39:56 AM   
trees

the _Port_ugese didn't develop the anchorage for Goa enough to rate a minor port?

Post #: 16
RE: India - 11/11/2006 9:07:02 PM   
mlees

quote:

Oh yes, I know that water can get cold. If the ocean water temperatue drop below 75F all the Hawaiian locals will immediately tell you that it is freezing.

I sense a joke here... Coastal water temps around San Diego are currently 65 degrees F.

Ok. How do you pronounce Laccadive? Is it Lack a' dive?

< Message edited by mlees -- 11/11/2006 9:12:50 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: India - 11/11/2006 10:47:53 PM   
Mziln

Lac·ca·dive Islands  (lk-dv, läk-dv)

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 18
RE: India - 11/11/2006 11:28:06 PM   
mlees

Thank you, sir...

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 19
RE: India - 11/12/2006 5:51:54 PM   
trees

In our games we've been having fun with the Portugese Empire. True a game which starts to see significant Axis activity in India is possibly lost for the Allies, but the Axis can be a bit thin-shelled once US production ramps up and I don't think such a game should be picked-up too early. One of the nice things about MWiF is it will be much easier to play 'what-if' games, i.e. what would happen if the British lost India and Suez? Without 50 square feet of maps and 4,000 pieces of cardboard to manage this will be a lot easier.

My question a few months ago about Goa was brushed aside as of no import as in the vast majority of games nothing would happen there. But I was poking around on Wikipedia for fun and this is what I learned about Goa:

"The Mormugao harbour on the mouth of the river Zuari is one of the best natural harbours in South Asia. The Mormugao harbour near the city of Vasco handles mineral ore, petroleum, coal and international containers."

I suspected as much since the Portugese built their Empire, like other colonial powers, around shipping. So I would like to propose that Goa rate a minor port at least.

I was unable to find out much about Pondicherry, however I did learn that it sided with the Free French in history, in WiF of course this could be different and in rare games that might come in to play as well.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 20
RE: India - 11/12/2006 6:01:49 PM   
trees

I also just poked around about Hyderabad, there are indeed two large cities with that name, one in modern Pakistan and one in India.

(in reply to trees)
Post #: 21
RE: India - 11/12/2006 10:05:16 PM   
Incy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

The Ganges.

I think the hexside between hexes E & SE of Calcutta isa bit ambigous. As I read the map the hexside between these two hexes is a land hexside (with a river?).
Is this supposed to be an all-sea hexside? If so, the hexside needs to be free of land. If not, it should be made a lot clearer wether this is a river hexside or not. These are hexes that will frequently be fought over, so let's get them right.

Post #: 22
RE: India - 11/12/2006 10:17:05 PM   
Incy

Another thing I'm not 100% happy about is the tendency someplaces that land will tangent all-sea hexsides.
Examples:

-Hex SW of Calcutta
-Hex 2E Calcutta
-Hex 3 E Calcutta
-Hex SW Dacca
-Hex SE Dacca

By having the land-sea boundary slightly avoid the a sea hexside (rather than tangent it) I think the map would be easier to read. There are many places around the world like that.

One particularily bad example is the hex west of Chittagong, with 2 islands. The westernmost island tangents the western hexside, and actually slightly crosses the NW hexside (I can see a few clear terrain pixels!!). I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be an island hex, but correct interpretation of the map is that these islands are connected to the mainland across the hex to the NW.

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 23
RE: India - 11/12/2006 10:29:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incy
Another thing I'm not 100% happy about is the tendency someplaces that land will tangent all-sea hexsides.
Examples:

-Hex SW of Calcutta
-Hex 2E Calcutta
-Hex 3 E Calcutta
-Hex SW Dacca
-Hex SE Dacca

By having the land-sea boundary slightly avoid the a sea hexside (rather than tangent it) I think the map would be easier to read. There are many places around the world like that.

One particularily bad example is the hex west of Chittagong, with 2 islands. The westernmost island tangents the western hexside, and actually slightly crosses the NW hexside (I can see a few clear terrain pixels!!). I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be an island hex, but correct interpretation of the map is that these islands are connected to the mainland across the hex to the NW.

Well, I believe the intent is clear in these cases. Though I agree with your critique in post #22.

I do not want to drive the artist crazy with subtle imperfections. Historically these kind of graphic ambiguities have been fertile ground for rules lawyers to argue about - endlessly. The program will know which hexes are all sea hexsides, and as we have discussed earlier, I will implement a mechanism that will made then easy to identify (toggled on and off so the map isn't constantly hitting players over the head with that information).

This task isn't high on my priority list. I have been delaying work on coding improvements to the player interface until after I get the current conversion from old style components to new polished and running well.

Steve

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 24
RE: India - 11/12/2006 11:41:12 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incy
I think the hexside between hexes E & SE of Calcutta isa bit ambigous. As I read the map the hexside between these two hexes is a land hexside (with a river?).
Is this supposed to be an all-sea hexside? If so, the hexside needs to be free of land. If not, it should be made a lot clearer wether this is a river hexside or not. These are hexes that will frequently be fought over, so let's get them right.

This hexside is a land hexside with a river.
The graphic is correct.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 25
RE: India - 11/12/2006 11:49:58 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I do not want to drive the artist crazy with subtle imperfections. Historically these kind of graphic ambiguities have been fertile ground for rules lawyers to argue about - endlessly. The program will know which hexes are all sea hexsides, and as we have discussed earlier, I will implement a mechanism that will made then easy to identify (toggled on and off so the map isn't constantly hitting players over the head with that information).

This task isn't high on my priority list. I have been delaying work on coding improvements to the player interface until after I get the current conversion from old style components to new polished and running well.

Maybe the area (from hex 93,115 to hex 92,120) could have its coastlines shifted a couple of pixels (2-3) to the East and a couple of Pixels to the South.

(I've added it to my "Summary of Missing bits (Rivers, Lakes, Coastlines" file, I'll remember Steve & Rob when they'll have time)

Post #: 26
RE: India - 1/7/2007 10:56:31 PM   
Froonp

After having been reviewing the Japanese railways closely, I looked at the other Asian country who had an extensive railway system in the 40s, that is India.

I want to show the modified map to the people here, for comments to improve the map even more if possible.

But first, I want to show what India looks like in WiF FE, the paper game, because the MWiF map has to follow the design decisions that were made when this map was made.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 27
RE: India - 1/7/2007 11:00:28 PM   
Froonp

Here is what India looks like now in MWiF, in zoom 2.
These shots are different from the first shown in this thread, in that I modified a lot of railways.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 28
RE: India - 1/7/2007 11:02:54 PM   
Froonp

Now in Zoom 4 (I believe), the Northwest.
Here I added a 1 railway between Rawalpindi / Lahore / Multan, and I modified the southern one so that it stays south of the Răvi River.

There are a couple of railways that I did not add here, in the northern Thar desert. I did not add them yet because I did not take the time to consider them closely enough.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 1/7/2007 11:30:07 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 29
RE: India - 1/7/2007 11:05:17 PM   
Froonp

Still zoom 4, the West.
Here I edited the railway that goes in Persia, and the one that arrives in Karachi.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> India Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI