Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Marshall should not do

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> What Marshall should not do Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Marshall should not do - 11/9/2006 5:39:42 PM   
bOrIuM

I think Marshall should not listen to all propositions written down on that forum and just follow his own idea of the game instead of all the interpretations of the peoples here. This will surelly make the game better and comin out faster. It's sure we can place a critic on what we see, but its important to not take too much time on developping the game. I think only critics to improve the game should be taken (such like a future scenario editor).

As Im goin impatient to play at, I think it's the best idea to have a better et sooner game.
or perhaps my subject should be... what Marshall should do...
Post #: 1
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/9/2006 10:02:58 PM   
Joisey

Nope,  I don't think a game was ever worse off because it got player feedback during development.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 2
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/9/2006 11:29:14 PM   
1LTRambo

I agree. And if you could go back and read some of the very important posts form say two years ago, you would see that the feedback Marshall received definately changed the course of the game. Also, from this forum came beta testers who have no doubt speeded up the games development and will make for a better release.
I still say that I'm willing to wait for a quality game as opposed to some piece of garbage that was release quickly.

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 3
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 12:03:30 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

You're all right!
There's a medium.
Listen to the player community while not taking too much time (Wooops!).
I've listened to the player community and it has helped a lot! I've also taken way more time than expected BUT the game will be better for it.
I've learned a lot.

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 4
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 12:05:58 AM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

I think Marshall should not listen to all propositions written down on that forum and just follow his own idea of the game instead of all the interpretations of the peoples here. This will surelly make the game better and comin out faster.

The game was close to finished when Marshall decided (I think wisely) to incorporate TMR into the leader ratings. Delays for important changes such as this will make the game better and satisfy long-time EiA fans; I think he has done well to take into account relevant input from these boards. Don't forget, this is based on a pre-existing board game, and many of the suggestions we have made were due to our passion for the game. Now we are on the home stretch, and I think in the final analysis most of us will be glad he was patient and open to ideas on how to improve MEiA.

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 5
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 12:12:29 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey all:

Let me expand on what Marshall should not do:

1. NEVER change directions in the middle of a project.
2. NEVER assume ANY code is final. Things change ... #### happens!
3. NEVER talk too much on the forums early. I've said a lot that have changed (See #2) thus creating that group of quoters out there "But you said...". This is the reason for me staying away form the forums for a while. You can't be quoted if you don't say anything.
4. NEVER take this too seriously. This is game ya know. I'm just lucky and happy to be able to code this thing.

Anyway, just a few additions to this thread from myself...

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 6
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 1:25:38 AM   
denisonh

Said well enough.

To paraphrase Al Davis - Just publish a winner baby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey all:

3. NEVER talk too much on the forums early. I've said a lot that have changed (See #2) thus creating that group of quoters out there "But you said...". This is the reason for me staying away form the forums for a while. You can't be quoted if you don't say anything.
4. NEVER take this too seriously. This is game ya know. I'm just lucky and happy to be able to code this thing.

Thank you

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Post #: 7
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 6:19:50 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Said well enough.

To paraphrase Al Davis - Just publish a winner baby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey all:

3. NEVER talk too much on the forums early. I've said a lot that have changed (See #2) thus creating that group of quoters out there "But you said...". This is the reason for me staying away form the forums for a while. You can't be quoted if you don't say anything.

Thank you

Other than John Madden did Al Davis ever have a coach last more than 2 1/2 years??

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 8
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 8:08:22 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Tom Flores, but your point is well taken.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 9
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/10/2006 9:47:24 PM   
Camile Desmoulins

quote:

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

I think Marshall should not listen to all propositions written down on that forum and just follow his own idea of the game instead of all the interpretations of the peoples here. This will surelly make the game better and comin out faster. It's sure we can place a critic on what we see, but its important to not take too much time on developping the game. I think only critics to improve the game should be taken (such like a future scenario editor).

As Im goin impatient to play at, I think it's the best idea to have a better et sooner game.
or perhaps my subject should be... what Marshall should do...

I think that you think that some people (me, for instance), are advising to Marshall for change, in the last moment, some features of the game.

This idea is far from the reality

First, I'm talking about the original game, some features that i'd like change (home rules). This is not a suggestion to change the actual work of Marshall. Only a desideratum, or a brainstorming, as you like.

Second, I don't think that it can be a good idea to change a projec almost in the finish line. It would be a fool's idea, after some years of waiting.

Third, I ever support Marshall's work (even in the hardest momments, when some people was criticized Marshall's project, hard critics that Marshall, today, with elegancy, "forget" to join everybody around this project), my suggestion and constructive critics was made in 2003-2004, not in 2006.

For me, now is the time of enjoy with the game. After played, if it's necessary, I'll make again new constructive suggestions. And I hope that this projet would be as good as it seems.

And of course, fight against you in the battleground or in the lounges of the Palaces or Embassys, diplomacy fighting

Camille

"Scis vincere, nescis uti victoria" (Maharbal)

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 10
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/11/2006 12:22:38 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Tom Flores, but your point is well taken.

I knew there would be some wise guy who knew Raiders coaches.
Wasn't Art Shell there for more than 2 1/2 years also (the first time)?

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 11
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/11/2006 3:20:08 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

3. NEVER talk too much on the forums early. I've said a lot that have changed (See #2) thus creating that group of quoters out there "But you said...". This is the reason for me staying away form the forums for a while. You can't be quoted if you don't say anything.

I've been monitoring this development and looking forward to release. Ever since David Heath provided a short demo of way back in 2004 at WBC. Yes, I saw EIA working with my own eyes! And waiting patiently ever since.

Despite the delays, IMHO these forum exchanges HAVE been useful and should result in a much better game than what might have been released if #1 and #3 above had been followed. Developers SHOULD discuss their game ideas and get some feedback, and if/when necessary make adjustments. That's a win-win strategy. The "quoters" need to realize that changes and delays are usually in their best long-term interest and refrain from whining.

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 12
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/12/2006 1:57:13 AM   
bOrIuM

This will be "un grand plaisir" to fight against or with you on the battleground of this game once it will be released.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Camile Desmoulins

And of course, fight against you in the battleground or in the lounges of the Palaces or Embassys, diplomacy fighting

Camille

< Message edited by bOrIuM -- 11/12/2006 2:00:03 AM >

(in reply to Camile Desmoulins)
Post #: 13
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/14/2006 9:38:24 AM   
Norden

What Marshall should not do:

Staying quiet for too long at a time .

Come on, pictures, AAR, anything....

Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 14
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/14/2006 11:25:33 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Norden:

We're trying. Hang tight.

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Norden)
Post #: 15
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/15/2006 5:01:26 PM   
Joisey

Yeah, show us another screen shot on another aspect of the game we haven't seen yet.

Suggestions:

Naval combat
Unit build menu
Paying expenses
Siege Combat
Trivial Combat
Forage Rolls
Peace Condition Menu

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Post #: 16
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/15/2006 9:38:43 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey

Yeah, show us another screen shot on another aspect of the game we haven't seen yet.

Suggestions:

Naval combat
Unit build menu
Paying expenses
Siege Combat
Trivial Combat
Forage Rolls
Peace Condition Menu

Second to that. Please.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 11/15/2006 9:41:50 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 17
RE: What Marshall should not do - 11/16/2006 1:39:32 AM   
1LTRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey

Suggestions:

Naval combat
Unit build menu
Paying expenses
Siege Combat
Trivial Combat
Forage Rolls
Peace Condition Menu

Second to that. Please.

Third that.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> What Marshall should not do Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI