PBEM AAR - Long Live the Union!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

jchastain

PBEM AAR - Long Live the Union!

Post by jchastain »

Gil and I are firing up a new PBEM game, so we thought we would share it with everyone. PBEM games are strictly strategic games, so this will focus on the strategic elements of the game. As is often done on Matrix forums, we'll have 2 separate threads - one for each side. We will not be reading the other's thread, so while we welcome comments on our approaches and blunders please do not discuss what you read in the other thread.

And with that brief intro, let's proceed to the game...

Here are the options we'll be using. It is a fairly advanced game, though we'll be using the historical generals that we know and love.

As this AAR was complete prerelease and the game has seen tremendous updates since, the comments below are taken from Gil's thread. Please check there for additional potential updates.

EDIT OF NOV. 30: Now that the game is available there is a new sub-forum devoted to AAR's. Inside you will find my detailed battle AAR "Battle in the Wilderness," which has some interesting screenshots (tm.asp?m=1289320). In addition, it would be worth visiting at least one of the detailed battle AAR threads started by Hard Sarge -- "AAR III" (tm.asp?m=1286095) or "AAR II" (tm.asp?m=1280248). (The second features some unfinished graphics, since it was composed during a stage of beta-testing when not all of the graphics had been added.)

EDIT OF APRIL 19: It should be pointed out that this AAR was played using a pre-release beta version of the game, and that countless changes (improvements all) have been made to the game via patch since then. So, while this AAR accurately reflects the game in general, the current version of "Forge of Freedom" has changed greatly.

EDIT OF OCTOBER 29: While reading this AAR between myself and jchastain is certainly recommended, be sure to look at the magnificent AAR that Grey Hunter has been putting together (which has the added virtue of being played on a patched-up version of FOF, rather than a pre-release beta version). Go here: tm.asp?m=1472699&mpage=1&key=

Attachments
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (178.78 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
jchastain

RE: PBEM AAR - Long Live the Union!

Post by jchastain »

Here are the generals I'll be starting with. Not a terrible group, but they will still be significant outclassed by the other side.

Attachments
generals.jpg
generals.jpg (174.46 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

The starting default is for the cities to produce whatever they are best at...

Attachments
citiesbefore.jpg
citiesbefore.jpg (161.23 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I'll shift cities that produce even amounts of money or labor to produce money. At the start, I'll be spending a good deal of cash on diplomacy. I'll shift cities that produce even amounts of iron and horses to produce horses. I'll need some cavalry fairly soon to help track down the southern raiders that will soon be active along the borders and the North doesn't produce a lot of horses even with things shifted around. At the bottom of the page, you can see what will be produced and the current pool of each resource.

(oops - edit to add picture)

Attachments
cities-after.jpg
cities-after.jpg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

As noted above, I'll spend some real money on Diplomacy. I'll hope to reduce this soon, but I don't want to let him get ahead or things can get ugly fast. If I see anything edging towards him, I'll increase my investment there to max right away since I'll know he's spending on it. Otherwise, these should creep up on my side and I will then be able to build a little cushion and then reduce spending.

The British sell some nice weapons, so I'll pour a little more there than on the continent for now because I hope to soon be buying weapons (and keeping them from doing likewise).

Even with shifting so much production to cash, you can see where this is eating up a lot of my income.

Attachments
diplomacy.jpg
diplomacy.jpg (141.47 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Eventually I want to make Harrisburg my center of iron production. I'd like to build an iron works since that doubles all base iron production and Harrisburg already proiduces a ton of iron. They take a long time to build though, so I want to get it going soon so that it will come on-line in time to do some good. As you can see, I don't have quite enough labor to buy it. I'll hold on to the majority of my resources for now and get it going next turn.

Attachments
buildneedcash.jpg
buildneedcash.jpg (126.61 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Here's the military situation at the start of the game.

Attachments
militarybefore.jpg
militarybefore.jpg (166.17 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I'm not making any big moves. I need to pull my troops out of Kentucky in the hope of getting them to join the war effort with the Union. They tend to react negatively to troop incursions, so I'm just pulling out entirely. The troops in West Virginia will fall back to Wheeling in hopes of sieging the city next turn. Hopefully the army from Kentucky can make it there as well. The troops will need to settle down for the winter and very little will happen then, so I'm really just finding a comfortable spot to park myself. Other than staying in Washington to defend the city, most of the other parking spots are along the Mississippi where hopefully I can get organized and then have some mobility come Spring.

Attachments
militaryafter.jpg
militaryafter.jpg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I am going to try to bully a few brigades out in the far West. More than anything, my army is pretty green and can use the experience so I want to take advantage of the numerical mismatch.

Attachments
trywestattack.jpg
trywestattack.jpg (169.34 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Since I don't really expect anything to happen in Washington, I can reduce the supply priority there. I am still at risk of disease and perhaps should have spread out a bit, but I decided to take the change just in case Robert E goes nuts and starts looking for a fight. I can't afford to let him wipe out half my army. The forces along the Mississippi will likely see real combat before the rest, so I won't cut their supply quite yet. But that washington army is just sitting there and likely won't do anything anytime soon so it should be fine. Let's look back at the Nation screen with the financial summary and you'll see just how expensive supplies are and how much money I can save by reducing my expense through the winter.

Attachments
nationsupplyreduced.jpg
nationsupplyreduced.jpg (141.46 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I will move my Navy to sea. As much as anything, I want to guard the coast and keep him from doing anything cute. But I also might as well begin to blockage Norfolk and Richmonds and see if I can cut his income a bit. Meanwhile, there are a few cities in New England with multiple brigades standing guard, so I'll move a few of them down to provide extra manpower in the Annapolis forts. If the Rebs are sieging Connecticut, I've got bigger problems than just having 1 instead of 2 brigades in that fort. However, Annapolis is at real risk.

Attachments
beginblockade.jpg
beginblockade.jpg (138.06 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

There is a statistics page, so we'll be examining that as we go forward. For now, it is blank.

Attachments
statisticsturn1.jpg
statisticsturn1.jpg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

At the end of my turn, I am able to promote one of my generals up to 4 stars. I decide to go with Keyes out West. While that army isn't nearly as big as the Potomac Army in Washington, it is more likely to see combat soon so I want someone at the helm. One of the things I really like that was added during the beta is the note that shows you the location and command of the selected officer. As you get further into the game and have a large stable of generals, that is invaluable information.

Attachments
promotion.jpg
promotion.jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

And the turn is done and on its way to Gil. I won't keep posting this, but here's the screen I'll bne seeing a lot of over the next few days.

Also - just so everyone knows, this game will not proceed very fast. Work is staying pretty busy so I likely won't get more than a turn or two in each day. Also, I'll warn that we are still testing and I am therefore trying to use different strategies just to see how they work out. Even without that, you shouldn't expect my decisions to be routinely good - I'm not half the general Hard Sarge is. But what the heck, it ought to be a fun ride and all comments are welcome.

Attachments
endofturn.jpg
endofturn.jpg (149.19 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: jchastain

And the turn is done and on its way to Gil. I won't keep posting this, but here's the screen I'll bne seeing a lot of over the next few days.

Also - just so everyone knows, this game will not proceed very fast. Work is staying pretty busy so I likely won't get more than a turn or two in each day. Also, I'll warn that we are still testing and I am therefore trying to use different strategies just to see how they work out. Even without that, you shouldn't expect my decisions to be routinely good - I'm not half the general Hard Sarge is. But what the heck, it ought to be a fun ride and all comments are welcome.

Since you are the "bad guys" I recommend you retreat all forces to the Canadian border to prevent incursions from that quarter!
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
marecone

Post by marecone »

Very nice. We have seen somenew screens. Keep them coming.
Thanks
"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest
regularbird

Post by regularbird »

Why does FOF start in Nov 61?  There were several battles prior to this date.  Does the player have the option of beginning earlier than Nov 61?
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Regularbird - I responded to your question in the discussion thread.

OK, on to the second turn.... Let's begin by examinging the event report for the turn. It scroll through 2 pages so the top half is attached.

Not a lot happened. We promoted Keyes and since he is from Maine, the govenor was pleased. I impressed horses in 2 cities and both succeeded. Had they not succeeded, the city would go into unrest and produced nothing so there is some risk in taking people's property but I was careful to only choose two cities with low risk (both had a 10% risk if you look above). Anyway, it worked out for me. The governors took some hits, but we'll worry about that later. For now, we need those horses.

Attachments
01event1.jpg
01event1.jpg (147.42 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

In the second half of the event report, you'll see that the rebs are indeed causing trouble with their raiders and have been destroying my supplies. Not much I can do about that yet. 2 new generals are available. There's no one of significance but I'll need to place them. And I have some reinforcements that were shuffled out to my units - which are actually in pretty good shape.

The real disappointment is in the political report. I made some fairly significant investments in diplomacy and nothing paid off. At least he didn't make any progress either. The good news is that we're about to start getting some uplift in our diplomatic efforts from the Governor of New York. He's asking for us to build him a hospital in return, but governors know that political pork doesn't happen overnight so we don't have to worry about that quite yet.

All-in-all, it was a pretty dull turn which is a good thing since I didn't do anything bold and I'd hate for the drama to be generated by the other side.

Attachments
02event2.jpg
02event2.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

OK, I can afford that ironworks now so I'll go ahead and build it in Harrisburg as planned. It will take it a year to come on line, but hopefully that will be good timing for when I'll be needing to start ramping up production of siege artillary to crush enemy forts. There is already one iron works in place there. That doubles the production of the mines. With this new one, they will be tripled - so each will produce 6 iron instead of the typical 2. I'll want to place a couple more mines here just to take full advantage of this investment, but that can wait a turn or two.

Attachments
03ironworks.jpg
03ironworks.jpg (131.2 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”