Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 6:52:34 PM   
Alby

For those of you who still enjoy playing all the old original scenarios and campaigns, but want the newer graphics that came with Enhanced, then this is the Mod for you!
'Lahtinen' has created a Mod using the original 8.2-8.3 OOBs with alot of the old errors fixed, but incorporating new graphics, some that are also used in the Enhanced Mod, plus some new graphics he has also added.
for more Info go here.

SPWAW Plus Mod

< Message edited by Alby -- 10/20/2006 6:56:23 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 7:48:18 PM   
NoX

Thanks for the plug Alby could not have said it better myself.

Also you need to be logged in to download.

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 8:48:54 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: NoX

Thanks for the plug Alby could not have said it better myself.

Also you need to be logged in to download.

'NOX'
Is that your alias??

< Message edited by Alby -- 10/20/2006 8:50:43 PM >

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 3
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 8:56:40 PM   
NoX

Yes, that is my alias that I use here and at shrapnel games. Sorry for any confusion. I rarely post here though.

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 9:25:46 PM   
Alby

quote:

Yes, that is my alias that I use here and at shrapnel games. Sorry for any confusion. I rarely post here though.

Thats why I figured I would help ya out with the plug.

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 5
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 10:46:50 PM   
ken ennis

I down loaded this new mod and used mod swapper to install and it tells the that tha archive may be corrupt. am i doing something wrong? i redownloaded it twice with the same result

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 6
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 10:50:25 PM   
rich12545

Hi Alby, this mod is really more what I'm looking for.  Graphics & other improvements but able to play all the stock scenarios/campaigns.  Would like to add the enhanced sound though.  If I simply override all the wav files, would it be ok?  Or would it maybe mix up some sounds?

Now all I have to figure out is how to download files from the depot.  Maybe I can get a friend to join or something....

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/20/2006 10:50:25 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: ken.ennis

I down loaded this new mod and used mod swapper to install and it tells the that tha archive may be corrupt. am i doing something wrong? i redownloaded it twice with the same result

Did you extract it first?
I tried it and it worked fine..

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 8
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 4:01:59 PM   
ken ennis

the readme file says not to extract it with wizip. but i tried it that way too with the same result

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 9
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 4:28:26 PM   
ken ennis

ok now when i use mod swapper to install this new mod for the Vanilla version it tells me i must upgrade to version 8.20 before i can use this. just so we are clear I am using the generals version which show as being version 8.403. that is the version i downloaded and have done no updating to whatsoever. is the version i have not the "Vanilla Version" and that is the problem? please help as this is very frustating.

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 10
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 4:59:05 PM   
NoX

quote:

the readme file says not to extract it with wizip. but i tried it that way too with the same result

Yes the readme file is correct. I think Alby meat that had you extracted the "PlusMoD_Seld-extractor.EXE" by double clicking on it. The actual mod is in .SPM format inside this self extractor and should only be installed using the ModSwapper.

quote:

ok now when i use mod swapper to install this new mod for the Vanilla version it tells me i must upgrade to version 8.20 before i can use this. just so we are clear I am using the generals version which show as being version 8.403. that is the version i downloaded and have done no updating to whatsoever. is the version i have not the "Vanilla Version" and that is the problem? please help as this is very frustating.

I remember other people posting about problems installing mods whit this generals edition (8.403). I think the problem might be in how the windows registry file is composed when using this vesion. Since I do not have that version of the game I can not confirm this.

One fairly harmless and easy thing to test would be to download the SPWAW v8.30 patch from this link:
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelPanthersWorldAtWar/SteelPanthersWorldAtWarUpdate-v830.zip

This patch includes the latest official OOB's and will not affect the actual game version. It should however reset the windows registry to show 8.30 as the game version and this might enable you to install the mods whit ModSwapper.

So I suggest you try this method and then try to install the mod whit ModSwapper again. Please tell if it helps.

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 11
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 5:29:10 PM   
ken ennis

ok this is getting too weird for me and i am going to leave things as they are. when i tried to install the 8.30 patch it said it could not read registry line number one. or something to that effect. i dont know enouigh about computers to go messing with this any further. guess i will just have to happy with the version that i have right now. Thanks.

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 12
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 10:09:01 PM   
NoX

I understand your frustration and these things can be abit stressful at times. I do know that there is no issues whit the Free 8.20 version of the game and ModSwapper, so one option would be to download that and use the mod on it. Ofcourse not wery appealing if you already have the Generals Edtion whit all the Mega Campaings.

If youre up to it here is one more possible solution to this problem:

OK, so the Generals Edition wont allow the 8.30 patch to be installed either. Maybe I have tried to approach this from a wrong angle. Instead of trying to make the Generals Edtion accept the mod, lets try to make the Mod accept the Generals Edition, shall we?

I have attached an alternate "Mod.ini" -file at this link:
http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11270

Download it and then unzip it somewhere temporally on your hard drive. Just to explain this file is what controls the installation of the actual mod. I am hoping this new file will work whit the Generals Edition version 8.403 of the game. It is programmed to be less sensitive to what version of SPWAW you have installed. I.e. instead of reguiring spwaw v8.20 as it did before it now reguires no version information at all.

To use this new "mod.ini" file you need to do the following things:

1.st: You need to go to the folder where you have "SPWAW_PlusMoD.SPM". Now change the .SPM ending to .ZIP, so you can use WinZip on it.

2.nd: move the new "mod.ini" file over the renamed "SPWAW_PlusMoD.zip" and drop it in. Now Winzip should open asking if you want to add the file into the zip. Just press "Add".

Or alternatively you can unzip the contents of SPWAW_PlusMod.zip to some temporal folder and place the new mod.ini in that same folder replacing the old file, and then Zipping all the files back together again.

Now that you have this PlusMod whit the new "mod.ini" inside it you open modswapper again and try to install it. You may need to tell ModSwapper to look for Zip files, so select the filetype option and choose "Zip Files (*.zip)" in the drop down menu.

I hope this does it...

< Message edited by NoX -- 10/23/2006 10:12:18 PM >

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 13
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/23/2006 10:17:16 PM   
NoX

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Would like to add the enhanced sound though.  If I simply override all the wav files, would it be ok?  Or would it maybe mix up some sounds?

Hi.
You may find the file titled "SPWaW-SoundMap.pdf" in the spwaw main directory useful in changing the sounds. Using it as a referance you can find out which sound effects belong to what weapons, etc... You do need Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar program installed to view .pdf -documents.

quote:

Now all I have to figure out is how to download files from the depot.  Maybe I can get a friend to join or something....

Yes you need to login to the depot then you can see the download links in the Modswapper area of the forum.

< Message edited by NoX -- 10/23/2006 10:21:34 PM >

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 14
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/24/2006 1:43:32 AM   
Alby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Would like to add the enhanced sound though. If I simply override all the wav files, would it be ok? Or would it maybe mix up some sounds?

Hi.
You may find the file titled "SPWaW-SoundMap.pdf" in the spwaw main directory useful in changing the sounds. Using it as a referance you can find out which sound effects belong to what weapons, etc... You do need Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar program installed to view .pdf -documents.

quote:

Now all I have to figure out is how to download files from the depot. Maybe I can get a friend to join or something....

Yes you need to login to the depot then you can see the download links in the Modswapper area of the forum.

He cant log in to the depot......long story I guess....
Rich you can overwrite the sounds but I would back your originals up just incase....some will not play though as they are specifically assigned to certain weapons in the Enhanced oobs.

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 15
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/24/2006 4:13:28 PM   
ken ennis

ok tried all that now it says it could not install file p07042.lbm into the destination c:\matrix games\steel panthers world at war generals edition\pic.... what happened there?

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 16
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/24/2006 9:25:50 PM   
NoX

quote:

ok tried all that now it says it could not install file p07042.lbm into the destination c:\matrix games\steel panthers world at war generals edition\pic.... what happened there?

Ok that is a definate improvement since now it allows you to install the mod. However the mod is still not being installed. The error message you now get could mean one of three things:

#1: You did not add the alternate "mod.ini" file correctly to the PlusMoD. If it is correctly added the size of the zipped mod should be roughly 9 Megabytes. Also when you open it whit winzip or a similar program all the "Path" entries should be blank. Total files amount inside the mod should be 573 and total size right next to it 17 455KB. Also look at attached screenshot for referance, see the RED circles I painted in it.

#2: You may have some other mod already installed whit ModSwapper, if so that should be uninstalled first (any installed mods should be visible in the ModSwapper installed mods window). If you have not installed any other mods then It might be that the first unsuccessful attempts to install the PlusMod have left some files that interfere whit the new installation attempts. In this case you should delete the file "instmods.ini" (if found) from your \steel panthers world at war generals edition\ -folder and try to install the Mod again.

#3: This is the worst case scenario: SPWAW Generals Edition simply does not work whit ModSwapper for some unknown reason. If this is the case then there is nothing I can do about it and you will have to do whiout any Mods.

< Message edited by NoX -- 3/25/2007 3:27:33 PM >

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 17
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/25/2006 12:48:20 AM   
ken ennis

even after it gave me that error, the game ran but if i left the mouse alone for more than just a couple seconds the screen went black as if i had  a screensaver running. i verified that this was not the case and gave up. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game and am going to leave things alone on that version. i would however like to try the free version and play with the different mods with that one because if i screw something up on it no harm done and i just start over. The Generals version however i had to pay for and can only download a certain number of times before i cant do that any more. the only question i have now is where can i get a copy of the vanilla version. all i saw on the Matrix website is the one i currently have now.Thank you for all your help. Ken

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 18
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/25/2006 1:08:50 AM   
NoX

quote:

the only question i have now is where can i get a copy of the vanilla version. all i saw on the Matrix website is the one i currently have now.Thank you for all your help. Ken

You can download the Free (or vanilla as unofficialy called) version 8.20 from Gamers Hell at this link:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_6363.shtml

You need to click on one of the download links available there and the download should start after 10 seconds or so...

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 19
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/26/2006 1:31:06 AM   
Alby

We found this sdame thing happened to some players when trying to install enahnced, whether they had generals edition or not. when they uninstalled the game then reinstalled it, things seemed to work fine.

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 20
RE: Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw - 10/26/2006 2:54:56 AM   
NoX

quote:

even after it gave me that error, the game ran but if i left the mouse alone for more than just a couple seconds the screen went black as if i had  a screensaver running. i verified that this was not the case and gave up.

Something that is worth mentioning here also is that the game screen going black is not a bug. So the game does not need to be reinstalled if that happens. It is caused by the fact that Steel Panthers World at War is an old game and does not like programs running in the backgroun of modern windows operating systems. Todays computers have alot of backrpound programs like anti-virus programs which are on all the time. There are also many "hidden" programs that the user may not even gnow that are running. These programs sometimes interfear whit spwaw and make the screen go black. You can move the mouse pointer around and click on something (like an unit or a menu button) and the screen comes back to live again. If the screen goes black all the time then you just need to find out what program is causing it and stop it. Automatic updater on an anti virus program might be one thing to turn off while playing spwaw.

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to ken ennis)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Revised version of 'Vanilla' Spwaw Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI