Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 11:40:51 AM   
Alex Fiedler

This is not a drill, Fight from Pearl Harbor to the Philippine Sea

Matrix Games, and SSG (www.ssg.com.au), are proud to announce the recreation of a wargame classic. Carriers at War will be coming to Matrix Games later this year. The game is a simulation of fleet carrier air and naval operations in the Pacific theater from 1941 to 1945.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games said, “Our goal as a company is not just to find new products, but to help restore some of the greatest of the past. SSG’s long lines of incredible games are always a welcome addition to this effort.”

Carriers at War focuses heavily on carrier fleet command strategy. Other units are represented and play a part in battle, but as the title suggests the queen of the sea is the focus.

Features include:

- Command carriers in the greatest naval engagements of World War 2, including Pearl Harbor, Midway, Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, and more.
- Multiplayer games over the Internet or a LAN.
- Historically Accurate Ship and Aircraft Profiles
- One of the greatest and most challenging AIs in wargaming history make this game fun for single player as well as multiplayer.

Stay tuned to Matrix Games and our forums at www.matrixgames.com for more information on Carriers at War as it becomes available.
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 12:04:17 PM   
Terminus

Best of luck with it. Played the heck out of old CAW back in DOS days... Seems so very long ago now...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 10/17/2006 1:52:24 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Alex Fiedler)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 1:17:39 PM   
Joe 98

"Later this year"  implies screen shots must be available!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 1:50:11 PM   
Terminus

They are. Check out the Carriers at War section under "GAMES".

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 2:13:02 PM   
coralsaw

Fine game it was, CAW.. Very glad to see it moving to the next century. Looking forward to details.

/coralsaw

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 5:47:25 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

This could actually be a lot of fun. In fact, there could actually be a good market for the game if MP works properly.

One of these days, I'd like to see a Guadalcanal campaign game on this sort of scale, rather than that used in UV or WitP. It'd be great fun fighting the surface engagments, a la TF1942.

Anyway, finish it, and I shall purchase!

PoE

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 6:44:27 PM   
Justascratch

This is great! I loved the original. I hope this turns into a license to print money for the Matrix team!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 7:25:41 PM   
Mikekiller16

Great nice screen shots, i still play the DOS version, sure i'll buy it. Will it include an editor?

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 8
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/17/2006 10:55:11 PM   
Hartford688

Later "this year" sounds good!

Screenshots look nice. Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Mikekiller16)
Post #: 9
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 1:40:59 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikekiller16

Great nice screen shots, i still play the DOS version, sure i'll buy it. Will it include an editor?

Think there's an excellent chance that it will

(in reply to Mikekiller16)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 2:51:47 AM   
Marauders

Since this is the game I asked for specifically in the "What game should Matrix Games try to remake" thread, I should be really happy. 

Do I win a prize?

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 11
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 5:52:33 AM   
rictavian

I have played CAW since it was out on the C64 back in '86. Today it is still one of my favorites that I keep going back to. The AI is outstanding and with the Construction Set that comes with it, you can tweek the AI to your own tastes.

Post #: 12
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 5:57:06 AM   
rictavian

Question: Do you Chaps at Matrix plan on modifying CAW any? If so do tell us what your plans are?

Post #: 13
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 12:10:05 PM   
ravinhood

Very nice graphics. Lotsa buttons, just please don't muck up the AI of this great game of the past. This old game and Carrier Force/Strike were two of my favortite naval battle games. I don't usually like naval games, but, carrier battles I enjoyed. Heck I still enjoy Avalon Hill's "Midway" anyone remember that one? ;)

(in reply to rictavian)
Post #: 14
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 2:45:44 PM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I don't usually like naval games, but......

Me too. But I have enjoyed the wonderful Uncommon Valour for 4 years and only recently retired it.

A wargame is a wargame. The CV is the tiger tank of the waves. And the DD is the infantry soldier.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 15
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/18/2006 3:29:04 PM   
Gregor_SSG

To answer a couple of questions, yes you get the same Editor we used to make the game. We have made some improvements to the Warcard system that powered the original CAW AI, but we certainly haven't changed the fundamental design of the system. Indeed, we were really happy when we managed to extend the Warcard system to our new Battlefront game, so we're certainly not going to ditch that.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 16
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/19/2006 4:24:05 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

To answer a couple of questions, yes you get the same Editor we used to make the game. We have made some improvements to the Warcard system that powered the original CAW AI, but we certainly haven't changed the fundamental design of the system. Indeed, we were really happy when we managed to extend the Warcard system to our new Battlefront game, so we're certainly not going to ditch that.

Gregor

Hi,

Can hardly wait. One of my all time faves resurrected!!!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 17
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/19/2006 4:46:10 AM   
Mario Vallée

WHAT A GREAT NEWS !!!

I remember when I bought CaW some 18 years. I was on Australia for vacation. I was so trill. Of cause, at the time, I did not haved a computer with me. So I read the rules book again and again before I came back home. Them I played this title at least a million hours. I just can't wait for this one. Thank you

mario

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 18
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/21/2006 6:58:49 AM   
bradfordkay

I bought and played Carriers At War, the Expansion Kit and The Complete Carriers At War. Loved them all. I am very much looking forward to this release... thanks, guys.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Mario Vallée)
Post #: 19
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/22/2006 3:47:36 PM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: rictavian

Question: Do you Chaps at Matrix plan on modifying CAW any? If so do tell us what your plans are?

A difficult question to answer succinctly. The essence of the game is unchanged. The engine and interface are all new and modernised. All the work on the new Carriers at War is all being done by SSG, not by Matrix.

Gregor

(in reply to rictavian)
Post #: 20
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/22/2006 6:11:22 PM   
Swamp_Yankee

Just thiming in to say GREAT NEWS!  I had been hoping for this.  I played UV but did not LOVE it, and the whole time I was yearning for CaW

Now, if someone would re-do the SimCan modern naval wargames I will be exctatic!

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 21
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/22/2006 6:29:33 PM   
David Sandberg

Another old-time CAW player here. I'm thrilled to hear that I finally may get to play this game again, after many, many years away.

I do have a question: for me, the one annoying thing about CAW was that, during the time a carrier TFs planes were in the air, the TF was frozen in place, unable to move, until the planes returned. This invariably led to surface clashes later in the game between carrier TFs and probing squadrons of cruisers or battleships, since the latter could keep continuously closing the gap with the carriers while the latter were rooted to a single spot at times because they had launched an airstrike. (Which wouldn't be a problem if the carriers never launched any airstrikes ... but then what good are they?) Might this quirky behavior be improved upon with the forthcoming CAW remake? I sure hope so, because that one change from the original would single-handedly guarantee my purchase.

< Message edited by David Sandberg -- 10/22/2006 6:33:00 PM >

(in reply to Swamp_Yankee)
Post #: 22
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/23/2006 5:15:10 AM   
TheHellPatrol

I must say this: it looks superb! The graphics/interface scream SSG. A must buy IMO, i've heard of it (CAW) but never had the chance of playing it. My DOS days were spent on Stonekeep, tank sims...and UFO:XCOM!

< Message edited by TheHellPatrol -- 10/23/2006 5:20:19 AM >

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to David Sandberg)
Post #: 23
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/23/2006 7:13:50 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Sandberg

Another old-time CAW player here. I'm thrilled to hear that I finally may get to play this game again, after many, many years away.

I do have a question: for me, the one annoying thing about CAW was that, during the time a carrier TFs planes were in the air, the TF was frozen in place, unable to move, until the planes returned. This invariably led to surface clashes later in the game between carrier TFs and probing squadrons of cruisers or battleships, since the latter could keep continuously closing the gap with the carriers while the latter were rooted to a single spot at times because they had launched an airstrike. (Which wouldn't be a problem if the carriers never launched any airstrikes ... but then what good are they?) Might this quirky behavior be improved upon with the forthcoming CAW remake? I sure hope so, because that one change from the original would single-handedly guarantee my purchase.

Carriers do have to stay on station after launching a strike, in order to be able to recover that strike. I can't say that I've ever had my Carrier Task Groups unduly harassed by surface groups, (during daylight hours, anyway), since those groups without air cover are very vulnerable to air attack.

Gregor

Post #: 24
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/25/2006 3:02:55 AM   
David Sandberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG
Carriers do have to stay on station after launching a strike, in order to be able to recover that strike. I can't say that I've ever had my Carrier Task Groups unduly harassed by surface groups, (during daylight hours, anyway), since those groups without air cover are very vulnerable to air attack.

Thanks for the response. Most of the time when this happened to me, it seemed to be that the surface groups caught my carriers during the night after a strike ... however, when I had scouts aloft to see the surface TFs in question, I recall that they closed much of the range with my carriers while my airstrikes were aloft and the carriers were "anchored" in this way, which invariably led to them catching up with me for a night engagement.

I think that in the real world carrier TFs didn't stay in a single location while an airstrike was aloft, did they? Didn't they instead instruct the airstrike pilots as to the fleet's planned movements between launch and recovery?

If possible, rather than anchoring the fleet while airstrikes are aloft, I'd love to see the launching TF required to select a course and speed (to be held during the airstrike's flying time) at the same time that they create the other parameters of an airstrike (essentially simulating the "pilots briefing" mentioned above). The task force then automatically turns to and maintains that course and speed as soon as a strike is launched (i.e., the planned course and speed are "locked in" until the strike is recovered). This way, the maximum range of the strike and recovery location could be calculated with the movement of the fleet between launch and recovery figured into the strike parameters. This would at least make it possible for a carrier to launch a strike and then retire. The obvious tradeoff of this adding a bit to the distance the strike would need to fly ro reach a more distant recovery position, and hence lessening the total range available to the strike aircraft, would make for an interesting tactical decision. And consider the alternative of ordering the carriers to continue to close on the enemy position while an airstrike is aloft, hence running a greater risk in order to give the strike a little additional range boost and a bit earlier of a launch time!

If I'm mistaken and this would not be a better reflection of what carrier TFs actually did when launching airstrikes during the war, I hope someone will illuminate me, 'cause I'd love to understand the reality of these wartime decisions better. Otherwise, I'll keep my fingers crossed that SSG might find themselves in a position to give this concept some thought.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 25
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/25/2006 9:57:41 AM   
Ursa MAior

I agree with David that this has to be chnaged since it does not reflect real time events. In many occasions serious losses were tkaen (at minimum in planes) when the returning planes have not found the carriers where they were supposed to be. Either due manuevres taken to aviod sub or aerial attack, or by plain navigational errors.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 26
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/25/2006 5:04:56 PM   
Fishbed

very interesting, thanks a lot!

Real time... sweeeeet.
You know, I once dreamt playing a game which would mix the complexity of CaW and the smoothness of the strategic module of 1942:The Pacific Air War. Sounds like I will not oblige to play it in my dreams anymore

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 27
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/25/2006 7:07:25 PM   
bradfordkay

Fishbed, CAW is not a strategic game. It focuses on the carrier battles of WW2, and is too limited in time and scope to cover more than the few days of any particular carrier operation... think of the naval battles of Guadalcanal or Coral Sea as the scope of the game.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 28
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/26/2006 4:37:47 AM   
Gregor_SSG

Rewgarding the behaviour of carrier TGs during a strike, this is one of many apsects of carrier warfare that we have chosen to simplify. I think that your solution of requiring a course and speed setting would require far too much mathematics from most players, (including me), and would result in most squadrons under my command running out of fuel and splashing, resulting in my subsequent 'promotion' to the Aleutian islands.

In the same way, we don't require the player to manually move planes through arming and fueling or choreograph the flight deck operations. You get to make the critical decisions about where and when to send strikes and not worry about the rest.

As far as surface combat goes, I've played hundreds of CAW games and never had my carriers seriously inconvenienced by surface combat in daylight hours, so I don't think its a huge problem.

Gregor

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 29
RE: Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War - 10/26/2006 5:14:47 AM   
ravinhood

Gregor are you or did you have the setup placements of the TG randomized or at least a few different variants of starting positions? I can't totally recall if the origional was like this, but, I think it was. I know "Carrier Force" was and I might be confusing the two.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Matrix Games & SSG Announce Carriers At War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI