Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cyprus 41

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Cyprus 41 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cyprus 41 - 8/26/2006 11:17:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

Totally fictional and I have no qualms stating it!

Extremely fictional scenario where the Germans have troops to evacuate from Egypt. The allies have made storming ground across North Africa. Churchill has sanctioned the total annihilation of the German forces in Egypt and has vowed "...to let none pass...".

The Germans need to secure the safe transport of these troops from Egypt back to mainland Turkey and for this to happen they have to take the allied stronghold of Cyprus.

The island of Cyprus is situated north of Egypt and south of Turkey and is an allied stronghold....being an island, a kind of fortress. In particular, Akritiri and it's airbase is of immediate importance.

The German plan is to land in middle Cyprus, just north of the Troodos Mountains, and head south to Limassol and the port and airfield of Akritiri. Removing the allied threat from Cyprus will allow the troops to be evacuated from Egypt and transported to safety.

The main target is Akritiri where the allies have a large airforce and will be able to interdict the troops evacuating from Egypt.

The allies have to hold.

The evacuation starts at 15:00hrs on the 13th April...the threat from Akritiri needs to be removed by then...otherwise the convoy will have to run the gauntlet!

Map anyone?

Attachment (1)

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!
Post #: 1
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 3:44:16 AM   
Arjuna

Billy,

What's the scale? Any chance of a screen dump with the map grid turned on? Thanks and good luck.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 11:36:31 AM   
JeF

Nice map.

I perfectly see opportunity for nice seaborne landings scenarios as well.

No vegetation yet. Intended or not finished ?

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 2:14:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

Map with grid....

Vegetation...good point. So busyt looking at Google map I forgot to add natural stuff! Anyway, the map is still a work in progress.

This is very much a test of the scenario maker....so I just want to knock a quick map up, with some units and objectives and playtest for balance...so I know the basics of scenario making...so I would doubt this would ever see the light of day on a forum as a scenario...but I just want to get ideas from people (like vegetation requests) about their thoughts on a scenario...it jhelps build an idea of expectation...in particular with hostorical accuracy.

I'm not really into the historical thing. I have very little time after dealing with real life, so I don't have the time to go and research...so anything I ever "might" do would be hypothetical

Attachment (1)

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 4
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 2:16:13 PM   
JudgeDredd

Is the ability for seabourne landings available in COTA? That would be nice if I can somehow simulate it....or do I just have reinforcements turn up on the beach?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 2:49:46 PM   
Arjuna

Just turn up on the beach...but set their cohesion to low...say around 40% ( ie not as low as a para drop but still a bit of an issue ).

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 3:01:43 PM   
Arjuna

Billy,

As an alternate justification for invading Cyprus, why don't begin with the premis that Crete was a rip rorting success for the Germans and emboldened they have now set their sights on island hopping their way to the suez. Cyprus will not only provide a useful staging point for striking Commonwealth interests in Syria, Palestine and Egypt, it will also place added pressure on Turkey to come into the war on the Axis side.

In fact this hypotheseis could be used to generate a number of "what-if" battles in thre eastern Mediterranean - followup invasions by the Axis of Beirut and Sidon, then a drive south through Palestine and the Suez Canal. Good stuff here!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 3:55:14 PM   
High Krausen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Just turn up on the beach...but set their cohesion to low...say around 40% ( ie not as low as a para drop but still a bit of an issue ).

Does this statement imply that a unit's cohesion can climb above what is set through the Units tab?

Roll Tide

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 8
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 5:57:32 PM   
JudgeDredd

The scenario designer determines unit cohesion at the design stage...so it can be anything from 0% to 100% and is used to determine the organisation state of a unit whether that is after combat or just arriving on the battlefield (among other scenarios, I'd guess).

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to High Krausen)
Post #: 9
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 6:07:08 PM   
JudgeDredd

Sounds like a good starting point....IF I wanted to continue making scenarios...which I may well do.

I need to see how this one turns out so I can get a feel for what things are important in scenario design, what things I've not hit the mark on and what things I have...

I suspect I have alot of work to do in all areas to get something as polished as the released scenarios, but it is enjoyable. I need to get this done and dusted, though, otherwise it will be another notch on my bed that was put there before success.

I'll tell you what, though...doing this has opened my eyes to the work put into the scenarios with the game!

Also, as a side note (and this, Dave, you will not like!!) the map maker and scenario editor are extremely detailed and, with practice, fairly easy to use in most cases...so it does beg the question...why no estab editor. If you boys can make something as detailed as the map and scenario makers, then I don't understand why an estab editor cannot be supplied. If it's for the simple reason...if we give you the estab editor, then there goes the future of the game because people can make maps and scenarios for ALL periods and ALL areas of the world, then I say fine...why wouldn't you want to protect your game engine...after all, you've given a map and scenario maker which greatly increases the life span of the game.

Anyway, I thank you for the map and scenario makers...they're great fun to use.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 10
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 8:23:46 PM   
RayWolfe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Also, as a side note (and this, Dave, you will not like!!) the map maker and scenario editor are extremely detailed and, with practice, fairly easy to use in most cases...so it does beg the question...why no estab editor. If you boys can make something as detailed as the map and scenario makers, then I don't understand why an estab editor cannot be supplied. If it's for the simple reason...if we give you the estab editor, then there goes the future of the game because people can make maps and scenarios for ALL periods and ALL areas of the world, then I say fine...why wouldn't you want to protect your game engine...after all, you've given a map and scenario maker which greatly increases the life span of the game.

Yep, I think you'll find that that's about the size of it. Why would anyone give away ALL the building blocks? But, don't forget that Panther give you something new and great with every iteration.
Cheers
Ray

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/27/2006 11:54:51 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well I have no problem with that policy.

You've given us tools to make scenarios for ourselves...as many as we like....just locked us into a time frame and region.

I don't see why you should say goodbye to your engine...and if you supplied an estab editor, then it would be the end for future plans for the game.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to RayWolfe)
Post #: 12
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/28/2006 1:49:31 PM   
JudgeDredd

And here is a map with some vegetation.

Kind of hard to determine what should go where...from my memory of Cyprus (UNHCR tour in '88) the Troodos Mountaines were thick with trees....I've tried to create places for ambush, break up line of sight areas wtc...I'll see how it turns out when I add some forces and give it a go...I expect I'll be revisiting and tuning for quite some time!

Attachment (1)

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: Cyprus 41 - 8/29/2006 11:38:56 AM   
Golf33

Looks good so far!

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Cyprus 41 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI