Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you organize the windows when playing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> How do you organize the windows when playing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/29/2006 2:58:20 PM   
Cougar_DK

I really like playing in the window mode. My normal screen resolution is 1280x1024. That gives me a window of 1024x768. So how do you maximize the use of the playing area?

Do you have a tracking window for each enemy contact or don't you use them at all. Even though I've been playing Harpoon on and off since Harpoon 2, I'm not that good at it. So I'm still learning

Cougars Corner
Post #: 1
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/29/2006 3:42:25 PM   
jpkoester1

Hi there,

I usualy only use the tactical window so that I have a continual overview over the general situation. Then I create zoom-windows for each current engagement when my units are close enough or in the enemie's weapon's range. Additionally I have saved a different screen layout as default window-scheme so I have the Game menu, the Unit menu and the Messages window arranged on the left side and have loads of room for map-windows on the right side.

PS.: Please note that this screenshot was taken with the current beta for the first patch that will let you change the Harpoon 3 ANW screen size to arbitrary values.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jpkoester1 -- 7/29/2006 3:43:27 PM >

"I cna tyep 300 wodrs per minuet"

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/29/2006 4:06:45 PM   
jkruny

I too tend to play with only the Tactical window and one zoom window to get in close to the current action area.

Mostly this is because of my tendency to micromanage encounters, which of course you can only do one at a time.

Many open windows also tends to slow game action, so if you have a bunch, it's best to minimize them until needed.

Being able to change and save the default windows setup is one of my favorite new features. All of us who have played Harpoon for a period have developed a particular style to setup the various elements.

It really is your choice here, so enjoy!

< Message edited by jkruny -- 7/29/2006 4:07:42 PM >

Jeff Krump

When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
-Sir Winston Churchill-

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/29/2006 5:41:39 PM   
Cougar_DK

Hi jpkoester1, what resolution is that?

I really can't wait to try it out! Any news on when the patch is ready ?

Cougars Corner

(in reply to jkruny)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/29/2006 10:32:50 PM   
hermanhum

I also play with primarily one window and use the 'global' map for the scenario in the background (or minimized) to quickly shift from one part of the scenario to another. I do this to minimize the strain on the processor as multiple windows slows down my game immensely.

Here is a screenshot of my setup. I have the Unit / Time / Message windows squashed up against the left. Since I don't need to know the different titles in the windows any longer (have long since memorized them), I find that this adds a bit more space to either have additional maps or a bigger tactical map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/30/2006 12:49:48 AM   
mikmyk

Actually never really thought about it. Might actually start playing with this tonight as we got a windows scheme feature with it (thanks to JP).

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/30/2006 11:59:32 PM   
jpkoester1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cougar_DK

Hi jpkoester1, what resolution is that?

I really can't wait to try it out! Any news on when the patch is ready ?

Resolutions for this screenshot were:

Windows: 1400x1050
Harpoon3: 1388x986

No news on an exact release date but we expect it soon.

Cheers,
JP

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/31/2006 12:01:08 AM   
jpkoester1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Actually never really thought about it. Might actually start playing with this tonight as we got a windows scheme feature with it (thanks to JP).

Actually the window schemes things is Darrel's doing. Also without his changes the new Launcher features for the adjustable screen size wouldn't have been possible.

Cheers,
JP

(in reply to mikmyk)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/31/2006 11:29:42 AM   
Cougar_DK

Thanx JP.

Cougars Corner

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you organize the windows when playing? - 7/31/2006 3:07:56 PM   
mikmyk

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpkoester1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Actually the window schemes things is Darrel's doing. Also without his changes the new Launcher features for the adjustable screen size wouldn't have been possible.

Cheers,
JP

Modest and somewhat robotic as always. IIRC it was your feature request that spawned it.

Mike

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> How do you organize the windows when playing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI