Defending China in CHS

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

ny59giants

Defending China in CHS

Post by ny59giants »

I have searched and read through many threads about tactics to defend China playing a stock scenario on the standard map. However, I am starting two PBEM's with CHS and I noticed the disposition of forces here is very different than stock.
Any hints or helps for the Allies in China would be appreciated.
[center]Image[/center]
Sardaukar

RE: Defending China in CHS

Post by Sardaukar »

It is way easier to defend China in CHS. One thing you might to do is to march your guerillas out of woods before they starve. They do have some supply, though..but if you start buiding forts and bases, you soon run out of supply.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

ctangus

Post by ctangus »

I'm sure this advice could be better, but should at least provide food for thought:

North China

Reinforce Yenan with a corps or two. If Yenan falls the road's open to Sian and as soon as Sian's besieged Honan is cut off, so abandon it. In one game I made the mistake of trying to hold at both Sian & Honan and lost a lot of troops at Honan.

Make sure you leave a blocking force behind the river on the trail to Lanchow.

Build forts at Sian, Kungchang, Yenan. Kungchang is an excellent place to defend as a last resort because of the mountains & long Japanese supply lines to get there.

Central China

Don't bother trying to take Ichang - what's the point? The troops near there can garrison Chungking.

South China

Changsha is still the key city here, so reinforce & build forts. Make sure to have a blocking force either NE (in the swamp) or NW (behind the river).

The mess around Nanchang is interesting. I saw one AAR (forget which) where the Chinese took Nanchang & opened up the supply lines to Wenchow. I played it more conservatively in one game - I sent enough troops to Nanchang so I couldn't be kicked out (though not enough to take it). I then could evacuate the Wenchow-area troops through Nanchang towards Changsha.

Build forts at Wuchow, Liuchow, Changsha & Kweiyang (fall back position).

I send the guerillas to the nearest road hex to cut Japanese supply lines. Sure, they'll be killed sooner or later but it slows the Japanese down & the respawned units rebuild pretty quickly.

As a last resort, the line Kweiyang-Chungking-Kungchang looks quite defensible, though I've not yet had to fall back that far.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I've done this once before and it is a real bitch in the beginning as the movement and ZOC model screws the defender bigtime.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

Ron, were you referring to something in my post or just talking about defending China in general?

NY59giants - One other thing - there are a number of static units in your OOB - all of them are in cities in the newest CHS version.

If they're in danger of a forced retreat, make sure their replacements are turned OFF. After a forced retreat they will be stripped of their static "fortification" device. If replacements are on, you might find them regain the device and become static in the middle of nowhere - bring them to a base you want to defend before you put replacements on.

Return to “The War Room”