Wishlist (cont'd)

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

JeF

Wishlist (cont'd)

Post by JeF »

I know it's not a good time for making a suggestion. Anyway :

Why not having a special tool to evaluate the "supply route" of a given unit ? I think you can evaluate it more or less as an avoidance path from the base to the unit, but is it sufficient ?

It would be easier to spot where exactly your supply routes are.

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
Banquet

RE: Wishlist (cont'd)

Post by Banquet »

Good idea!

Could a button be incorporated into the pathing calculator (Mot, Non Mot & Unit) for supply route? Using the same technique as the pathing tool, but it could trace a supply route from either the unit, or wherever on the map you click, automatically to the (appropriate) supply depot?

There's not a lot of room for an extra button - but Dave and his team are genius at this stuff! [:)]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Yes that's an excellent idea. [:)]

TT2963 - UI - Resupply Pathing Tool
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Error in 0

Post by Error in 0 »

I'd like to see:
1) A bounding rectangle (approx) for air strikes as you move the mouse, so as to better place the attack.
2) those lovely range-circles in the same way when ordering units to move.

JT
Hotdog

Post by Hotdog »

Got COTA a few days ago and have just started to scratch the surface of this excellent game. (Half way in tut. 2)

While I was preparing the defence of the three crossings in tut. 2 I found myself wishing/missing the possibility for
engeneering units to lay and clear minefields.

You could have the options of laying anti-armour mines or anti-personell mines. To counter this, you could give for example
recon units the possibility to spot enemy minefields. Units with higher values in training and/or experience would have a
bigger chance in spotting these threats.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: Hotdog

While I was preparing the defence of the three crossings in tut. 2 I found myself wishing/missing the possibility for
engeneering units to lay and clear minefields.

Engineers setting and clearing minefields and roadblocks is a planned feature of the next release of the Airborne Assault series: Battles from the Bulge.[:)]
simovitch

Hotdog

Post by Hotdog »

Thanks simovitch. BftB is definitly on my "must-have" list. [:)]

gsxr1000

Post by gsxr1000 »

smoke rounds for arty units.

this game is awsome, thanks to all who helped.
gsxr1000
" vous autres, legionnaires, vous etes soldats
pour mourir et je vous envoie ou l'on meurt."
hakan

Post by hakan »

When is AA "The Battle of Kursk" comming? [:)]
Send me a PM or add me to your ICQ (212686368) if you wanna play COTA (+1 GTM).

Major Disaster

Post by Major Disaster »

I am wondering with 1941 estabs if COTA can support France 1940 scenarios. Are there any French estabs? If not one could do a British vs German.. say elements of Brooke's Corps defending Dunkirk pocket.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

The best way to find out is to open up any scenario in the ScenMaker and check out the estabs. As you can see there are very limited French estabs but there should be more than enough for a 1940 Brit v German stouch.

Attachments
ForceList.jpg
ForceList.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I just spotted the explanation in the Cota (mini guide) thread about how to access data on the equipment for those who are not walking encyclopedias on WWII.

The data sets of Summary, Description, Performance and Armament can all be accessed by opening the Scenario Editor.

This data should be accessible from the in game side bar with the force pool expandable tree.

Having to open a second program to access the data does not encourage it's use the way an in game interface for it would.

Even some of us 30+ year wargame grognards need a little memory jog once in a while on an obscure piece of equipment that may not be one of our favorites.
Hans

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

This has been expressed several times in these forums before, and it ended up on the tasklist already, afaik.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I just spotted the explanation in the Cota (mini guide) thread about how to access data on the equipment for those who are not walking encyclopedias on WWII.

Someone actually reads that stuff! Hans, you have made my day. :)
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The data sets of Summary, Description, Performance and Armament can all be accessed by opening the Scenario Editor.

This data should be accessible from the in game side bar with the force pool expandable tree.

Having to open a second program to access the data does not encourage it's use the way an in game interface for it would.

Even some of us 30+ year wargame grognards need a little memory jog once in a while on an obscure piece of equipment that may not be one of our favorites.

I agree. Shame you cant click on the weapon etc etc on the ES tab.
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

The best way to find out is to open up any scenario in the ScenMaker and check out the estabs. As you can see there are very limited French estabs but there should be more than enough for a 1940 Brit v German stouch.

This estabs is for Free French, not the regular French army. They are quiped with british and include in the british chain command, so that for it they need to supplied with british ammo. Ideal for North Africa scenario.

Otherwise, when an assault,airborne or landing operation, the defender are often surprised and take time to react. So I think it's a good idea to implement a freeze option or order delay malus to reprensent this element.
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

An upgrade on the reinforcement tab can be made. ie: the expected arrival place and date is displayed and the effective place and date differs. ie: in airborne operation, to simulate a bad drop and cancelled drops, all preplanned drop and previsionnal date are displayed, but not at all happens due to the transport forced to dispatch or go back to base. Or when an assault force are enroute and a commander make a mistake when leading his troops.
And the annoucement of reinforcement takes place only when the reinforcements are enroute, like in defense when enemy assault are identified and the order of back units are transmited then the reinforce list is annouced.
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

Aerial recon should be welcome.
Interdiction too, specially to cause a supply probs to enemy in specified area. That could be scenarized when settings the amount of supply of one side but in great map it will add a strategic deep in planning operation.
Adding a description of the amount of airstrike avalaible in the briefing will avoid to look it in the scen editor or play once time to have an idea of it, and can add an immersion in the mission if we know what force are engaged in this role.
Vince_Tooket

Post by Vince_Tooket »

Interdiction too, specially to cause a supply probs to enemy in specified area.

With that, we can manage our anti air units to protect the more important supply line.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Back with another suggestion.

I gave the Tempe Gorge scenario a try last night after reading the AAR yesterday.

I found it a challenge to guage whether or not my mortars would be in range of Tempe from a small copse of light woods across the river before comitting to the orders to send them to that location..

One thing I would like to have, if it doesn't exist already, is a means to measure distances on the map. The 1 kilometer grid is a help, but it is tough tough to guage distances diagonally.

Where this comes into play is judging fire base locations for short ranged artillery. The long range tubes cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the map, at least in the couple of scenarios I have played so far, so it is fairly easy to guage good locations for them.

The ones that are tough are the mortars. I can see the range radius of the tube in it's present location, but I have a hard time judging if the tube will be in range of the objective in the location I would like to move it to.

If I could pick a point on the map and see various range circles from that location, or if I could simply pick a spot and drag a "ruler" line to the objective I can see if my tubes will be in range from that spot. Many naval games have rulers like this for guaging range.
Hans

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”