Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Ship List Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship List - 6/25/2006 1:37:03 PM   
SargeantTex

doesany one have a list of ships in the game I am getting interested in buying this game if I could see the list of ships available it would probably sway me more if there is anyone with a list that can be viewed I would appreciate it.
Post #: 1
RE: Ship List - 6/25/2006 9:05:54 PM   
Terminus

Erm, that's like asking for a ship list of WitP...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship List - 6/25/2006 10:25:31 PM   
Tankerace

I can possibly see if I can put one together.

However, for definate, I can say that all Japanese, British, American, Australian, Siamese, Chinese, Filipino, and Canadian Submarines, Torpedo Boats, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, and all but the Converterd Capital Ship Carriers are in the game, plus a few French and Dutch ships (more coming soon). There are also a number of smaller ship types such as Patrol Boats, China Gunboats, Submarine Chasers, and Patrol Craft where aplicable.

Basically, the best ship list I can think of is to crack open a copy of Jane's or Conway's: If it was in commission (or in the case of ACRs and OBBs, stricken in) the 1920's, it is almost surely in the game (or at least in the database, even if it doesn't appear in a scenario). While the Dutch and French navies are not modeled completely (The French are coming soon), all the nations I listed above have full OOBs in those ship types.  Coming soon are also landing craft, a redone transport structure (Freighter 10,000tons instead of Large AK), US Coast Guard ships, more hytpothetical ships, and the amount of aircraft in the game is almost going to double.

I'll see what I can do by way of a ship and class list.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Producer of Carrier Force
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition

Avatar is of me with my 1918/1967 FTR Ishapore Sht LE Mk III*.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship List - 6/26/2006 3:00:43 AM   
SargeantTex

cool I wasnt sure if the included all the predreadnoughts that were purged from the 20's to the 30's if this game has all of those ships I can definitely come up with 50 bucks for that.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship List - 6/26/2006 4:36:39 AM   
Terminus

Oh... If that's what you meant, then yeah... It has them...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 5
RE: Ship List - 6/26/2006 8:21:40 AM   
Tankerace

As the Washington Treaty is assumed to have not taken place, all Predreadnoughts sans the earliest British types are included. Japanese ex-Russian Coast Defense Ships sucha s the Okinoshima and Mishima are included, as are all US predreadnoughts as far back as the Indiana's, although they appear as they did at the end of WWI, with cage masts and heavier anti destroyer armament.
Older ships that were discarded before 1922, such as all British predreadnoughts predating the Lord Nelsons are not included, but all US and Japanese predreadnoughts are included, even if they were scheduled to be discarded (you'll even find a US ship in the database named "Target Ship No. 4", which is the old Iowa, renamed to allow the name to be used on the new South Dakota.)

In addition, hypothetical designs such as the Amagi, Lexington, G13, Improved Hood, and the CC1916 (14", 7 stack Lexington) Battle cruisers, and Kaga, No. 13, South Dakota, Tillman IV (Tillman I-III coming soon), US Battleship 1917 (A five turreted Colorado), US Battleship 1923 (A monster with 12 18" guns, in a South Dakota arrangement), and a more reasonable BB1923 Inspired South Dakota with 8-18" guns and tripod masts are also featured.

In the 1926 hypothetical scenarios however, the older US predreadnoughts have been removed, to free up names for the new "conjectural" battleships.

Relating my personal experience with playing, and what I hoped to achieve, predreadnoughts are a mixed blessing. They are invaluable in Shore bombardment, freeing up more valuable dreadnoughts for fleet work. In a pinch, the later more heavily armed ones can stand their ground in a fight with dreadnoughts (although with an obvious 1/2 to 2/3 advantage in gunpower on the dreadnoughts side). However, their lack of speed can be a hamper much like the Predreadnought Squadron of the Hochseeflotte at Jutland), as they cannot intercept the enemy as well, cannot dictate the range, and can cost you the element of surprise.

Of course, for the Americans, this isn't too bad.... as their only carrier for most of the game is 3 knots slower at 15 knots...

Designer of War Plan Orange
Producer of Carrier Force
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition

Avatar is of me with my 1918/1967 FTR Ishapore Sht LE Mk III*.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship List - 6/14/2007 6:17:44 PM   
Anthropoid

Hmmm, don't seem to be able to attach .zip files here. PM me and I'll email you a zipped Excel file that I extracted from the database using the witpload.exe.

This is the ship & crew database sheet for Engineer's Western Citadel mod. It is based off the 1926 Super Dreadnoughts scenario that is in the stock game, and I think Engineer is happy to share it with anyone who asks. This I would say represents probably the full potential of the scenario (as far as all the possible ships to include, and including "what if" and "never were" designs that were on the books). It is an amazing game from an historical what if perspective. IMO, from that standpoint, much more interesting than WiTP.

I _think_ I have also already extracted the one for the stock Super Dreadnought scenario, so if you wanted to see that one two, I could also send it.

Post #: 7
Western Citadel New Shipping - 6/15/2007 2:02:09 AM   
engineer

Be careful on Excel, it looks fine in the preview and turns to hash when published. 

Western Citadel does include some new classes, mostly on the Allied side:

Wasp class CV:  A 25 knot CV with 40-50 aircraft, late scenario reinforcement

Ticonderoga BC:  2nd Generation capital cruisers with 18" guns, late game reinforcement.

Pensacola Class CA:  Actually three classes here.  War speeds up completion of these cruisers and with no Washington Treaty, they displace ~12,000 tons so armor is up and maneuverability is down versus the historical namesakes.  Again late scenario reinforcements.

Phelps, Hamann, and Fletcher class destroyers:  The Phelps is a 4 stacker with 5" guns. They're presumed to be laid down prior to the war as part of the ratcheting tensions before fighting starts. Hamanns look more like the early 1930s destroyers, Fletchers are Fletchers with a lighter AA armament and shorter range, but big and robust for a destroyer. The Fletcher designs are presumed to only finish after the shooting has already has begun and incorporate some lessons earned in blood. The Phelps class start filtering in late 1927, with the Hamann and Fletchers later in the scenario.

The US also gets some APA classes for mid to late scenario reinforcements.  These are 16 knot transports with a little more capacity and decent AA aramament. There's also a higher capacity AO that is a mid to late scenario reinforcement.  Liners and Superliners are also in the game.  Liners are 8000 capacity and 20 knot speed.  The UK has quite a few of these.  Superliners are 12000 capacity and 24 knot speed.  Leviathan is the best example of this class.  The UK & Commonwealth also get some large AMC's where a large transport or liner is the platform so you have 18 knot speed, and 6" guns.   

The Brit's also get their 1920's CA's (Kents and such).  Like the Pensacola's, war speeds up completion and with no Washington Treaty, armor and durability are up, manueverability is down a bit. 

I usually see the French squadron sunk on it's initial sortie so the French send out a new Asiatic squadron with one armored cruiser, two of the new Tourville light cruisers, and a bunch of their Jaguar class big destroyers.

Pretty much all of the US capital ship refits have 10 or more 0.50 cal AA MG's added since once the shooting starts, adding more guns always happens.  If anything I've lowballed it.   

The Japanese have some additional destroyer and PG construction that represents post-war authorization and mid to late scenario completion.  With the No. 13 BC and Kii BB's under construction, they don't have that much yard capacity for a lot of cruisers.  I probably should add something along the lines of a Japanese Wasp, however. 

These stretch the baseline assumption of WPO about keeping away from a lot of hypotheticals, but since it's a scenario that is already "a little bit pregnant" with hypothetical Tillman's, Indefatigables, Yorktowns, Kii, and No. 13's anyway, fleshing out the OOB with updated cruisers, destroyers, and fleet train is just partaking of the spirit of the scenario. 

< Message edited by engineer -- 6/15/2007 6:12:55 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Western Citadel New Shipping - 6/15/2007 6:14:35 AM   
Anthropoid

I love this scenario Engineer. I tend to favor an alternate history flavor in a game like this, and this scenario is the epitome of that. Well done, well backed up with historical facts and a coherent, believable back story to bring it to life.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Ship List Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI