Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Summer of '69 League Blog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Summer of '69 League Blog Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/3/2006 8:18:57 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well after a killer week, working late several nights, I have been wanting to give the 1.12 a try, and shift to the next patch when it comes out. anyway my free tme is very sparse lately - so I will pres on with 1.12!

OK, I was a kid of the 60's and really started to get into Baseball wehn the Seatle Pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers in 1970.

I was 8 and an am being brought back to a lot of names from my youth I nearly forgot!.

So I have ataken a litel libety, starting in 69, with the Brewers already in place, but there are so many great players "making it" aroud 69 that I decided to start there.

So with a 24 team league mirroring the '69 league structure, and using 50 man rosters (even with 25 players in the minor leagues there is still a fair number of scrubs) I'm starting a full draft to try to assemble my "dream team" of the heroes whose dog eared cards I misplaced years ago...:( But the game is like a set of baseball cards come to life, at least in the imagination!

Well, I get the 4th pick in the draft - and have a "no lose" decision - do i go with Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer on he pitching side, or a 23 year old phenom Reggie Jackson. I'm normally a "hit for show, pitch for dough" guy, usuly taking pitchersin the first two rounds. But in this case I can't pass up Mr. October - and though a LOT of guys will go off teh boad before my next pick, I will have two relatively close together to take pitching.

So my first pick is 23 year old Reggie jackson who is 16C/20P/17E/17pot (I like to use the 1-20 rating scale) for 5 yrs at 4.2M/year

What to my wondering eyes appears n the board in the 2nd rnd? Why Nolan s stil there! apparently his mediocre control has scaed teams off!

So in rnd 2 I take 22 year old Nolan Ryan 19S/20V/11C/14pot for 5 years at 2.9M/yr

Now, returing to the pitching board, I have a chice between starter Dock Ellis (18S/16V/17C/17pot) and closer Sparky Lyle (18S/18V/16C/16pot) as there are far more decent cosers than starters, I take 24 year old Dock Ellis for 5 years at just over 4M/year

This getting 2 piks close together is kinda neat. Going from starting pitching to power hitting, I broaden my horizon from high potential types to consider more mature candidates. It doesn't matter that much as the "no brainer" power hitters are taken. All the candidates have an achilles heel - Nate Colbert has questionable hands, Ken Harrelson - poor range and potential, Graig Nettles a suspect arm, Ernie Banks, Age and eye.

It comes down to Tony Conigliaro, whose perfect 20 hands almost makes up for below average range, but its Beltin' Bill Melton (15C/15P/13E/18pot) whose and reasonable contract demands and ablity to play almost every position on the field I go with first, hoping that Conigliaro stays on the board for 6 picks...

Well, checking the pitching board paid off! I fgured Sparky would definately have gone, but he's still there! BUt so is Rick Wise...Rick is pricey at 4.5M so I go with 25 yr old Sparky Lyle 18S/18V/16C/16pot 5 yr at 3.1/ per year.

Round six I'm back to power hitter and of the notables above Graig Nettles is calling me. Darrel Evans is enticing, but i already have a 3d baseman in Melton. A young Carlton Fisk is also on the board, but his contact and eye are still pretty raw to go this high.

A take Nettles 14C/15P/14E/17pot and will go with Evans for DH if he is still on the board...5 yrs at 1.8M per

Darrell Evans is still there - he goes next 12C/15P/18E/17pot 5 yrs for 1.5M

Now round 8 is tough - the power hitters are dried up, but prime defensive contact hitters are starting to go. Generally the quality starters are gone, but Steve Renko 18S/14V/15C/16pot is still on the board, nearly 4M$. Rollie Fingers is also there 18S/14V/18C/17 pot

So I go for pitching with a high quality #3 starter in Renko and Rollie stays on the board to give me an outstanding set up man in front of Sprky, who can be a quality closer himself in case of injury.

Round 10 you have o start considering defese at key positions - with 4 15+ power hitters - one of them 20P Jackson - feel good about my power - so I slice and dice a few ways and find a 22 year old Thurman Munson with his 20 Arm and 20 potential, and vacuum cleaner (and real life long time Brewer Don Money with 16 range, 15 arm, 15 hands, and OK 15C/10P/12E hitting with 17pot.

That works out for me and now back to pitching - I need a "crafty left hander" and again an actual Brewer 29yr old Dick Ellsworth 15C/10V/19C fits the bill nicely as a #4 starter who we'll hope lasts longer than hs real life 3 years before retiring. Don Shaw similarly fits the bill as a lefty for the bullpen the 25 year old 18S/15V/14C/14pot but pricey at 2.5M per year

Round 14, we are starting to fill things out offensively, with CF, 2b and 1B left to be filled its defensive stats that overtake hitting, in which case Cito Gastin with his 19 hands, 19 arm, and 19 range is the obvious choice for CF and for 1st base there is a little bit of Power (12) left in Terry Crowly (11C/12P/14E/12pot).

Round 16 takes us back to the pitching board, here we need a 5th starter and another situational reliver. 23 year old Mike Torrez fits he bill for former (15S/9V/11C/15pot). 25 year old closer Wayne Granger is a surprising choice to still find for the "crucial out" right hander at 17S/12V/18C/13pot. Hs 2.5M price tag could be why he is still on the baord, but we are doing ery well money wise having spent just under 40M with 47M left.

Round 18 we need to fill our remaining need at 2nd base, dfensively again its a no brainer - with 20 Hands, 17 Arm, 13 range Dave Cash, who has decent speed at 15 and 17pot to imporve his lackluster 14C/3P/9E batting stats. A decent hit and run and bunt bet util his eye comes up. With the 19th pick we look for a back-up catcher to spell Thurman and find 20 year old Ted Simmons on the board with a decent 14C/11P/10E/18pot Ted Simmons whose 8 hands and 8 arm could be a defennsive liability, on the other hand, Ellie Rodriguez (14C/5P/14E/13pot may not develop as much offensiely, but 17 hands and 16 arm is much less a defensive liability. I may take Simmons as a DH prospect,, but go with the defensive catcher for now.

Well in round 20 there are still a good assortment of relief pitchers, but position prospects are drying up fast. The best available is RF Bill "ropes" Russell wih his 15C/5P/10E/18pot and 20 hands, 14 Arm and 10 range. At 21 he still wans 1.5M but we have spent only half our bankroll and have nearly completely our major league roster so we are in good shape. We folow up with LF George Foster (11C/12P/9E/18pot)

Round 22 and we check the pitching prospects and we find a 20 year old up and comer named Vida Blue (12S/10V/13C/17pot) ;) and a 25 year old Chad Morton (13S/8V/11C/19pot) in round 23. Round 24 we get a wacky 23 yer old lefty named Bill "Spaceman" Lee (11S/8V/11C/11pot) and a 25 yr old middle reliver Al Severinsen (14S/8V/11C/10pot).

THings have pretty much dried up to scrubs at this point on the position player side we take Jose Martinez, an offensive scrub but a good defensive replacement if hit by injuries. Similarly Fred Stanley at SS. For round 28 and 29 I take the best potential pitchers, just on the off chance he makes a miraculous advancements to approach real life careers, Gene Garber. And Mike Davison, 16pot, but nothig else. Hey, he might grow into trade biat ;)

So at round 30, little remains so we sill trust the scouts to pick the remaining 20 for us.

We run spring training and are surprised to find the preseason rankings have us at 22nd out of 24, and even more surprised we have the high payroll at 56.7M per year. And still more surprised Reggie Jackson is not on the "most feared hitter list" which features Willey McCovey, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Dick Alen and Frank Howard.

Well, enough excitement for one night, but to recap, our lineup:

Starting Pitching:

#1 Dock Ellis 18S/16V/17C
#2 Nolan Ryan 20S/19V/11C
#3 Steve Renko 18S/14V/15C
#4 Dick Elsworth 15S/10V/19C
#5 Mike Torrez 15S/9V/11C

Bullpen
Closer Sparky Lyle 18S/18V/16C
Setup Rollie Fingers 18S/14V/18C
Situational L Don Shaw 18S/15V/14C
Situational R Wayne Granger 17S/12V/18C
Middle #1 Al Severinsen 14S/8V/11C
Middle #2/Mop up Gary Kroll 11S/10V/8C

Catchers:
Thurman Munson 13C/11P/12E 13 hands, 20 arm
Ellie Rodriguez 14C/5P/14E 17 hands, 16 arm

Outfield:
RF Reggie Jackson 16C/20P/17E 20 hands, 19 arm, 8 range (13 spd)
LF Graig Nettles 14C/15P/14E 20 hands, 8 arm, 10 range
CF Cito Gaston 14C/10P/8E 19 hands, 19 arm, 19 range (15 spd)

Infield
1st Terry Crowley 11C/12P/14 13 hands, 12 arm, 8 range
2nd Dave Cash 14C/3P/9E 20 hands, 17 Arm, 13 range (15 spd)
SS Don Money 14C/10P/12E 15 hands, 15 arm, 16 range (13spd)
3rd Bill Melton 15C/15P/13E 13 hands, 12 arm, 11 range

DH (3rd) Darrell Evans 12C/15P/18E 14 hands,11 arm, 10 range

Post #: 1
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/3/2006 10:06:23 PM   
Paul Vebber

Despite the lackluster predictions by the sportswriters, the City of Festivals has made County Stadium one for every home game. The smell of Brats and kraut in the parking lot wafts towards I-94, fans have begun a new craze of showing up HOURS before home games with grills in the back of their Country Squires, putting the tail gaes down and turning the parking lot into a block party. "Tailgating" in the Beer City is not something you flip off aggressive drivers for, but an entire city of neighbors 30,000 strong turning an huge slab of contrete into the biggest back yard in America.

An the young team that ownership has turned other owners heads to finance, has responded to the vibe!

With a "let em play" manager that has micromanagd only a handful of key games, otherwise letting his formula of patience with pitchers, aggressive baseruning and "no error" standard in the field has been reward with a tie for first place on this first day of June.

Both the Brewers and California Angels have identical 31-23 records in a highly competitive division. The Royals are only a game behind, the A's3 games back and the White Sox 5 games back. The Twins are the laggards with a 20-34 record 11 games back.

Detroit is leadaing the Al East with a 33-21 record with the Orioles 3 games back, The Mets are leading the NL East with a 32-22 record and the Reds are leading the NL West at 29-25.

April was an uphill battle for the Brew Crew, getting off to a lackluster 5-8 start, but te rebounded finished the month 15-11 with a 7-2 road trip
May has seen the home record improve from 6-6 to 11-5, getting wept at Detroit hurt them, an injury to David Cash left a serious offense gap for the series. He has returned to service, but in his absence, the team got geat serice from defensive 2B replacement Jose Martinez, who with scrubish 3C/2P/2E he managed to go 14/60 with 8 RBI and a run scored and a game winning 3 run homer.

As one would figure, Regie Jackson has anchored the offense with 18 homers and 55 RBIs, and hitin .320. THe trio of supporting hitters has not yet caught fire with Darrel evans next with 8 HR and 32 RBIs batting .291, Bill Melton right behind with 7 HRs and 31 RBIs batting .26, and Graig Netles with 5 HRs and 34 RBIs batting .279.

Thurman Munson has been hot hitting, but with little power and abysmally with men on base, bating .282, but with only 1HR and 14 RBIs. Cito Gaston is in a simlar situation bating .267, but agian only 1 Dinger and 23 RBIs. 2B Dave Cash spent 15 days on the DL and hopefuly will continue his .290 hitting and 1 HR and 11 RBIs.

THe disapointments so far are DOn Money - bating just .203 with 1 HR and 16 RBIS and Tery Crowley batting just .213, but with improvng Power lately with 5 HRs and 23 RBIs.

On the Pitching side all four of our prme starters hav 5 wins. Nolan ryan is 5-1 with a 2.68 ERA(and should be 8-1 if not for the Bullpen...) Steve Renko is 5-2 with a 2.98 ERA. Dock Ellis and Dick ellsworth haveboth had a couple tough losses with bad run support and are 5-3 with 3.91 and 4.58 ERAs respectively. Mike Torrez is our weak link (as expected with a 2-5 recod and terrible .36 ERA.

In the Bullpen, as hoped for, SParky Lle has been instumental in our succss so far with 16 saves in 18 attempts and a 1.93 ERA. DOn Shaw and Rollie Fingers have been big reasons he has been in position to get those saves, Don is 3-2 with 5 holds and a 2.9 ERA and Rollie is 1-2 with 6 hlds and a 2.41 ERA and a stellar 30 SOs.

Its often tough to be competitve in the first year with a "high growth" draft strategy. we'll se how things go in June, taking a bit more control of key games and trying to minimize teh damage our weak link pitcher can cause.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 12:13:31 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, the blush has come off the rose a bit. June was a 13-13 month with the team falling to third, 4 games off the pace. THe All-Star Game saw Reggie and Darrell Evans start on the eam with Rollie Fingers coming out of the Bullpen. Reggie has colled off in the middle third of the season now with 29 HR and 85 RBIs and a .279 BA. The itching staf is lead by 11-3 Nolan Ryan with a .276 ERA and league leading .189 BA against and 10th in the league with 127 Ks. Unfortunately he has yet to that flame thrower arm totaly under control and is the in the league in walks with 79. Sparky is just out of the top 10 in saves with 28. Rollie has had a tough time with 5 losses and only 7 holds, though his RA is still a respectable 2.43, e has given up key hits and let a lot of inherited runers to score. Dock Ellis is 9-7, Dick Ellworth 8-6 and Steve Renko 7-4. Mike Torrez is 2-9 and better make a strong improvement before next year

THe Brew Crew is curntly in 2nd in the AL West with a 57 - 46 record behind a blistering hot California team that is 63 - 40 having gone on an 11 game winning streak and currently 8-2.

With cooler weather ahead, hopefully the tepid Brewer bats will heat up and Bernie Brewer will take more of his famous "slides into the Beer Mug"

Post #: 3
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 1:22:08 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well we make a run in August of 9 games in arow to pull to within 1 game of the Angels, but slowly fade as teh season wears on and end in nd place a distant 6 games back, but breaking the 90 game barrier with a 91-71 record that has the fans salivating for next season with a 100/100 end of season rating.

The Reds won the Series against Detroit in 6 games.

Nolan Ryan ended the season 19-5 and was robbed in the Best picher voting, the nod going to Detroits's Ron Reed at 19-10. Just cause they were in the Series no doubt ;(

Cito Gaston made the recod book with 14 triples.

Reggie and Darrell Evans won Pure Slugger awards.

No Brewers retired and we looked to teh new crop of players to bolster our roster. Another starting picher is our key need, with our 4-14 5th starter possibly costing us a trip to teh playoffs. So our first pick is 20 year old Milt Wilcox. We take CF Luis Melendez, SS Ed Crosby and RP Buddy Harris. Nothing else but scrubs so we go to Free agency.

Pitching is weak with several "over the top" stars like Juan Marichal, and Don McMahon. We will keep our money in ou wallets and look to upgrade our offense - paricularly at 1st and 2nd. Norm Cash appears to be the best option at 1st (17C/16P/15E 19 hands. THere were no really good 2nd base candidates, so we will lokk at a "best avilable and hope to trade. The best available is third basemen Sal bando (16C/15P/17E 16 pot 16 arm and 14 range. We also tender offers to 1B prospect Tom Hutton and RP Propect Skip Lockwood.

In these games where you have real players appearing each year as they really appear, its very tempting to over exten yourself and have an impressie farm system, that you lose to free agency becasue you cna't aford to kep them. I try to keep 15-20M cash reserve each year and limit my farm system to a handful of key prospects.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/4/2006 1:39:17 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 2:27:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

Free agency was expensive and Sal Bando and Norm Cash cost me 9M between the two of them. 1.5M each for Lockwood and Hutton was two rich for my blood.

The sportsriters rank us 15th in the power rankings and we are now 10th in spending.

Coming out of spring training we have an extra 3rd baseman in Bill Melton that we are going to shop for a 2nd baseman. Reggie is left off the Most Feared Hitters list and saw no change in his ratings. Terry Crowley at 1s made teh biggest gains, but will have to play back up to Norm Cash. Thurman Munson made a BIG jump in COntact and eye, gave up some power from his stance to get it.

The big development in pitching was Mike Davison jumping up in all categories from scrub status to "might have a future" status. Carl Mron also made a big jump.

On the down side, Sparky dropped a point of Velocity and Control, Rollie lost a point of velocity as well. THe mystery was DOk Ellis whose potential went up from 17 to 19, but lost a point off al his numbers. Hopefully an adjustment adding a pitch that will get bought back in the future by the potential increase.

Post #: 5
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 4:40:40 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, its August 1970 and we have spent nearly all the first haf of the season in 1st place. Its been VERY tough as the Twins, Royals and White Sox have all been no more than 3 games back. But its been a strange July...

First off there appears to have been no All-Star game this year, then we suffered key injuries to Milt Wilcox, and Dick Ellsworth, who has struged with 3 straight loses since returning.Nolan Ryan and Steve Renko has 10 wins (10-8 and 10-5) while wilcox and Dock Ellis have 9 (9-5 and 9-8) Ellsworth was 6-6 but has sliped to 6-9 on some blowout losses since his return from injury that makes it appear he not be close to 100% yet.

Offensively, we hung onto Melton, and moved Sal Bando to 2nd base and DH. Melton is our star right now batting .310 with 21 HR and 42 RBI. Reggie is of course our legendin the making, but he is down at .281 with 29 HR and 77 RBI. Bil Russell is playing way above his 15C/3P/10E at .309. On teh disappointment side Graig nettles was stinking up the joint bating .169 so we shopped him and picked up 1 20pot youngest amed Don Baylor. (15C/13P/12E with 17 hands, 15 range, 13 arm) a defense and potential offense upgrade to the 26 year old Nettles AND half the price!

Off season acquisitions Bando and Cash have not quite lived up to expectation but are doing OK Bando is hitting .256 with 14HR and 47 RBI while Cash is at .234 with 12HR and the same 47 RBI. CIto Gaston and Don Money are both immproved over last year, Gaston at .253 with 3 HR and 33 RBI and Money is at .25 with 5HR and 37 RBI.

Munson is our disappointment this year, only .220 with ZERO homers and only 17 RBI. Is backup is struggling too, bating only .220 with 1 HR and 11 RBI.

The Bullpen has been much of our problem of late, with Sparky not even getting the chance for many saes - he is 23 /23 with a 0.77 ERA, but Wayne granger is 0-4 with only 1 hold and a 6.75 ERA. OUr lefty Don Shaw has a 5.5 ERA and only 2holds. Rollie has only 4 holds, a blown save and 4 losses and lead holder Al Severinsen isn't, with a 5.34 ERA and 3 losses and a blown save.

Well, we are currently in 3rd place now after losing 4 straight and 7 of our last 10. Our DL is cleared of, and the Baylor trade will hopefully start to pay off. The Twins and Royals are tied for first at 58-48 and we are 56-50. The WHite OSx are 2 back of us (our primary competition most of the first half, but on a 6 game skid losing 8 of 10.

TIme to turn it around!

Post #: 6
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 6:28:23 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, Bernie Brewer damn near wore out his barrel in August as the cream rose to the top! Two runs of 9 wins and then 8 wins, followed closely by a not quite so hot Twins team saw September come and the Milwauke club enjoying a 2 game lead on the Twins. THe first week of Sept was nip and tuck as the Twins closed to a game, but a sweep of the Twins at county Stadium opened a 4 game lead and the Brew Crew never looked back.

Ending the season with a 95-67 mark, 6 games over the Twins and 12 games over the Royals. The Angels caught teh badly slumping and injury riddled whitesox who were 18 and 21 games behind at the end. The poor A's never got stared, ending 28 games back with a 67 - 95 mark the opposite of the red hot Brewers.

The ALCS Saw teh Crew travel to the Bronx to open the series against the 96- 66 Yankees. THe Yankees must have partied too much as Nolan Ryan took a 1 hit shutout into the 9th before Harmen Kilibrew homered to put the Yans on the board - but far short of the 5 run Brewer tally. Game 2 saw Mlt Wilcox take up where Ryan left off - doing him one better completeing the complete game shutout on 4 hits as the 2-0 win allows teh Brewers to reurn home with a 2-0 series lead. DOc Ellis has a little "big stage" jitters giving up 2 runs an 4 hits in the 1st, but settles down to give up only two more hits as he gets 6 runs in support and Rollie fingers comeson to get the save and a 3-0 win. THe Yanks don't roll over as they rough up Dick Ellsworth in game 4 as Mel Stottlemyre stymies teh Brewer bats with 2 runs n just 2 hits and gets 8 runs in support giving the Yanks a lile hope. BUt Nolan Ryan has other ideas. Geting off to a shacky start, Ryan follows in Ellsworths footsteps spotting the Yanks 2 in the top of the 1st on another Killibrew dinger. The Crew come back in the 3rd with 3 and Ryan setles in. Until he 6th, when Henry Aaron jacked a 2 run homer givning the Yanks a 4-3 lead and givein the yanks visions of being down 3-2. Norm Cash cashes in with a double scoring Munson from first to tie the game. Tied in the 8th Mr. October draws a walk and Bill Melton doubles him home in what was the game winner.

The BRewers now face the 94-67 Dodgers in the World Series!

Post #: 7
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/4/2006 7:56:28 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, the Brew Crew ran into a Dodger buzz saw SWEPT by the Dodgers as the Brewer bats went silent in the face of the 3-0, 8-2, 5-4, and blowing a 3-0 lead in the 8th to lose 5-3 in the final game. The sluging combo of Willie McCoey and Johny Bench - both hotting 50HRs and 120+ RBIs provd too much for the Brew Crew who are nor anxious to get back to the playoffs in 71.

Reggie got his props this year winnign AL MVP and Milt Wilcox won Rookie Pitcher.

In the Draft - we look for best Available and that is 19 year old Terry Forster (18S/17V/16C 10 pot ) We take a couple other "see if we get lucky" picks and move to Free Agency. Gaston seems to have maxed out in Center, so we sign 25 year old Ken Henderson (17C/13P/15E 18 speed, 13 range, 18 arm, 20 hands 15 pot), We aso fill teh need fo a real 2nd baseman in Ted Sizemore, 26 yrs old 17C/4P/12E 14 speed, 11 range,13 Arm, 12 hands, 16 potential.

Well, after Spring training we have moved up to 9th on the power ratings and are 8th in Payroll.

The Spring has given us good news and bad news. Despite an "uptic" on potential - Regie has dropped significanatly to 15C/17P/15E 17pot. HE and Norm Cash (16C/17P/15E) are nearly the same. Darrell Evans has come up to 15C/15P/18E, and George Foster rises to 14C/13P/11E.

Pitching sees some welcome improments. The biggest being Vida Blue making a play to come up to he majors jumping 5 in stuff from 14 to 19 an a pont each in velocity and cotrol to 19S/11V/15C. And up to 19 Pot

So we'll go on tomorrow..

Post #: 8
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/5/2006 12:40:27 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, 1971 was the Year of the Brew Crew. We took the chance bring Vida Blue up to the Majors and Sent Dick Ellsworth to the bulpen since we realy didn't have anybody to do long relief. We won the first 8 games of the season and never looked back, going wire to wire in first and eneded 108-54, the closest competition was the 89-73 Royals 19 games back.

We made two key mid season trades, sending a slumping Terry Crowley and former bullpen yeoman, Al Severinsen sent to AAA has he was passed by, to the Cubs for rising shortstop Toby Harrah (13C/6P/13E 15 speed, 18 range, 12 Arm, 17 Hands, 20 pot) to spell Don Money, who I think is suffering being our only SS, and SP prospect Bruce Kison (16S/11V/15C/17pot)

Our other trade was prompted by the success of Free agent signing Ken Henderson (17C/13P/16E, 18 speed, 13 Range, 18 Arm, 20 hands 15 pot) over Cito Gaston (15C/10P/9E, 14 speed, 19 range19 Arm, 19 Hands, 13 pot) and another fading Bullpen yeoman, Don Shaw (18s/12V/14C/14Pot for another young gun Les Cain (19S/18V/14C/19pot)

We made short work of the AL East champs the 96-66 Cleveland Indians.

The decision to bring Vida Blue up to the Majors paid off in spades as he went 20-9 to lead the rotation. Dock Ellis was close behind and should have gotten 20 wins, but suffered several late year no decisions after the Bulpen lost leads for him, still going 18-5. Midseaon acquisition Les Cain came on like a house afire and ened 15-9 Nolan Ryan had serious control problems, leading the league in walks, but stil managed a 14- mark and Steve Renko did servicable work going 14-9. Milt Wilcox returned to his reliever role strugling midseason, but managed a 13-5 mark, several wins coming in strong relief.

We are about as flush with piching as possibe, and having the extra depth came in handy when Renko went down and Ellsworth missed a few starts with shoulder soreness.

Ofensively Reggie finally started putting up Reggie-like numbers - jacking 50 dingers and 122 RBIs. Storming Norm Cash had 37and 98 while Bletin Bill elto had 36 and 95. Sal Bando met expectation with 21 and 76 and teh Don Baylor for Graig Nettles trade work out GREAT as Nettels only had 11 and 36 while Baylor had 19 and 66.

So no we meet the Cubs in the Series. Terry Crowley will be their starting 1B but has been slumping bating only .236 with 6 and 41. Al Severinsen wll be in thier bullpen (0-1, 6.75 ERA). Ther big offense threat is Rico Petricelli, thier only power threat (37 and 108) the have Yastrzemski, but he has been a pinch hter bating only .224 with 10 and 28. They only have a solid 4 man rotation and fill in the fith starter form thier long relivers it seems. On paper we should dominate!

Off to the World Series the second year in a ow

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/5/2006 5:12:56 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/5/2006 4:06:55 AM   
Paul Vebber

THE BREWERS ARE 1971 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!! They took a scrappy Cubs team 4-1. Very nearly a sweep, but the Cubs hung in there!

Reggie Jackson roved to be "Mr. October" undoubtedly the Series MVP.

Game 1 started with Norm Cash and Reggie going back to back in the bottom of the 1st and the Brewers added two more runs in each of thenext two innings to take a 6-0 lead. FIVE brewers homered including two by Norm Cash enroute to a 10-4 win.
Nolan Ryan gave up a two run homer in the 6th and Dick ellsworth gave up another two runs in the 8th in garbage time.

Reggie Homered THREE times in game two including the walk-off 3 run shot with 2 out in bottom of the 9th after Steve Renko melts down in the 7th and gives up 4 runs to allow Chicago to go ahead.

Game three saw Dock Ellis take command after Reggie Homers in hs firt at bat in his third straight game, followed by Norm Cash in the next inning. Ock took a 4 hit shutout through 7 with a 4-0 lead, but Rollie Fingers gets schwacked int eh 8th for 2 runs on 4 hits before getting out of the inning. Sparky struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth. Dock hleped is casue with single that tuned into a run after pinch runner dave Cash stole 2nd and then scored on a Don Baylor hit.

Game four saw teh Brewers struggle at the plate and Vida Blue's Rookie jitters got to him on the Big Stage. Don Baylor homered in the 2nd to give Bue a lead, but he gae it up in the the botom of the 3rd on a Rico Petrocelli 2 run shot. Don Money got an RBI hit scoring Don Baylor to tie the score, a situation that lasted until the bottom of the inning when Walt Willias got his first of two homers, a two run shot scoring Rico Petrocelli again. Sonny Siebert come on in the 7th after the Brewers bats went limp to Steve Blass, whose 6-2 win gies teh Cubs some hope!

But Nolan Ryan returned to hill for game 5 against 18 game winner Jerry Koosman. Koosman flinched first in the top of the 3rd getting into a bases loaded game including the ultimae ignominity for an NL pitcher, WALKING the adversary hurler. With Ken Henderson, the pitcher Ryan, and Bill Melton on, Mr. Octber crushes a bass clearing triple oe the head of the Cubs Center fielder. Norm Cash follws that with a solo homer and a 4-0 Brewer lead. bu the Cubs battle on, taking advantage of two Ryan walks and a sngle to get the based loaded themselves with 1 out. Ryan gets the 2nd out on a K, but WALKS IN A RUN before gettig the third out on another K. Don Baylor gets a sac fly to score Henderson in the top of the 7th. Former brewer Terry Crowley gets his only RBI of the Series in the botom of the 7th on a double don the 1st base line. despite looking fresh with only 98 pitches going into the bottom of the 9th, Ryan gives up 3 runs with 2 out in the bottom of the ninth on a Walt Williams 3 run jack! Dick Ellworth comes in for extra inings and goes 3 roller coaster innings, getting out of a baases loaded 1 out jam in the 10 on a rico Petrocelli infield fly and a LOONG fly bal to center by Due Sims. The Cubs leave a leadoff double stranded at third in the 11th when pinch hitter carl Yastrzemsky gave anothe ball a long rid to the warnng track in center. Meanwile teh Brewer bats go silent in three 3 up, 3 down innings. 2 singles in the 12th with no out could not be conerted by the Cubs, and odds finally caught up to them as Reggie Jackson draws a lead off walk and after Thurman Munson gae one a LOOONG ride, midseason acquisition 21 year old Toby Harrah, crankes a scortcher that bounced around in he first base corner for a triple that scored Jackson easily. Sparky came on for the botom of the 13th walked walt Williams with two outs and got Yaz to fly out weakly to end the game and give Milwaukee a VERY HARD FOUGHT 4-1 Series win.

Post #: 10
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/6/2006 6:41:25 AM   
Paul Vebber

The begining of 1972 are heady days in the Beer City, but heavy hangs the head that wears the crown as the crop of players we signed to 5 year deals at the start of our tenure have only 2 years left - decisions have to be made to facilitate a transition to a new "5 year plan" or we risk losing much of what we have developed to free agency. We started after the World Series rearding the key pieces of the franchse. First priority was to lock up new acquisition Les Cain, who had only 1 year left when we acquired him at some cost and risk. Luckily he accepts a very reasonable 4M 4 year extension. 1 down! Next we reward old geezer Norm Cash, who hit nearly as many HRs in the Series as Reggie. He wants to retire from the team so we give him a 3 year 2.4M reward, if all goes wel, to be our backup DH/1B in case of injury. Next is Mr. October, who is thinking about his future paychecks and signs only a 1 year exension for $4M. Our other two young pitching aces are next, Vida Blue and Nolan Ryan, both snub us however. We will try again after this season, but frankly are in VERY good shape pitching wise down on the farm. Bill Meton singed a 2 yeaar extension for 3M and Sparky Lyle or 40+ save closer took 2 extra years for 3.2M. Don Baylor extends for 2 for a very reasonable 1.9M and Thurman Munson tacks on 2 at 2.1 (but has been in a slum all season batting only .186 and has had his stats go down two years in a row desite a 20 pot...) Darrell Evans extends 2 fo 2.1, and with neither young gun singing we probably over pay for Steve Renko at 4.3M, but Dock Ellis wanted 6+... Again we have perhaps an over abundence of pitchers, we have to take care not to be seduced by a point or to - the difference between adn 17 and a 19 average grade pitcher is maybe 2 wins, but could be 2-3M. With our margin of victory last year, and the coming financial hurricane, we have to be careful not to get a "killer team" for a season or two and then have to disband it over free agency!

Well, in the draft we look to possibly having to replace Bue and Ryan, and add to a somewhat sparse reliever ranks in the farm, we draft Randy Moffit (17S/13V/16C/12pot) and Hank Webb (11S/7V/10C/12pot). In Fre agency we draft Jim Slaton (19S/12V/16C/16pot) for 3.3M for 5 years and filling in behind Norm Cash at first with Dave Kingman (13C/19P/13E/15pot)at 3.7M for 5 years. Now we have been eyeing John Mayberry, teh Twins are having nothing to do withit. But from experience, you can sometimes catch a team with a star in a slump and if you throw enough players at them, sometime he oposition will flinch.

So we come out of gates slowly this year, ending April with just over a 500 record. May starts sow, so we decide to shack things up a bit with a rade and send Dick Ellsworth, 32 (14S/10V/18C/1pot) to atlanta for blue chip prospect Tom Bradley, 25 (15S/14V/16C/16pot).

Things start to heat up after that and we end may with a 12 game winning streak and a 9 game lead over Chicago, 12 over the Twins.

With the big lead, we decide that we have to start executing the "transition" from the 5 year contrats that we drafted originally. We have done well ofering extensions to several key players, but we are jammed up a bit at some postions (3B, DH) and not doing so well at others 1st, C and 2nd. So we hit the stat and see what we can do. The obvious firs base answer is 2nd year phenom John Mayberry(20C/18P/18E, 15 range, 12 arm,14 hands and 20 potential), who was strugging with the Twins. THey need 3rd base help, so we craft a deal around Sal Bando, who saw his ratings decline a 2nd straight year and potential drop to 2. We worked hard with their preference list to find a deal that freed up as much salery an minor league deadwood as we could, and sent Bill Lee (11S/11V/12C/11pot), Brock Davis(16C/4P/2E/1pot), Ed stroud (14C/7P/12E/1pot) and Ed Crosby(11C/2P/11E/10pot). That trade got us over 5M in breathing space.

Our other trade addresed our deficiencies at C and 2nd base. The team with the best duo was san Diego with Darrel Porter (13C/13P/16E/16pot, 13 range, and 20 arm) and Rod Carew (20C/10P/12E/19pot 17 speed, 11 range, 12 Arm, and 11 hands.) In return Ted Sizemore (18C/4P/12E/16pot, 14 speed, 11 range,12 Arm,12 hands) who was only batting .224 with no HR and only 5 RBI. Sandiego needed pitching and we are Pitchers R' US! so we looked to who was starting to age and peak and gave up Wayne Granger (18S/13V/18C/13pot) and Steve Renko (17S/13V/15C/17pot) who had a 4.5 ERA and cost us 4 losses in 7 appearences.

1 July finds us 51-29 with a 7 game lead over the White sox and 8 games ahead of the Twins. Our decision after spring training to go with rookie jim Slaton over steve Reno works out as Slaton goes 10-2 with a 2.56 ERA to lead teh starting rotation, followed by 10-3 Bue with an increadibel 1.68 ERA. Nolan Ryan is third at 8-5, 3.47 ERA, Les Cain 7-5 and 3-87 and Dock Ellis, who was unhitable last year with a no hitter, is obviously thinking he should have been paid that 6+M and is being 'dissed' only geting 4M$. Milt Wilcox has been the hear of teh bulpen with an 8-2 record holding the fort in games the starters have stumbled until the mighty Brew bats erupt. The Starters have been either melting down early or nearly going the distance Fingers has ZERO holds, yet Sparky has 23 saves in 25 chances (both blown saves becoming losses). THis will probably be Sparky's last season as closer as Rollie oer takes him, next year i will probably flip their roles especily if Rollie goes to 20 9he is 19S/19V/18C/17pot.

SO we enjoy the first All-star game since 1969 *Shaun s looking into that ...) To see how Reggie and Rod Carew do as starters, joining Vida Blue and Jim Slaton!

Post #: 11
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/7/2006 2:39:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, there is no way to see the results of the All-Star game, just a list of who was selected. Maybe some day ;)

It can be fairly easy to get a "top stat" team together, but quite another to keep it together long term, and harder yet to make the right moves to improve your performance while keeping finances under control. Our midseason moves paid off handsomely with a decent offensive upswing and tremendous defense. AND we and 12M$ under our ceiling. We scored 806 runs, and gave up only 513. We needed those runs because for much of the summer the Royals were nipping at our heels, and our bats went silent against them and it seemed every time we got a comfortable 6 or 7 game lad on them, they would sweep us in a series and close to 3 or 4. September saw the True Blue Brew Crew go on an 11 game winnig streak and the Royals suffered a slide and we opened the gap to end with a 14 game leadanother 8 game winning streak in early OCT gave the Brewers a league leading 110-52 record and a date with the Red Sox in the ALCS. The Cardinals, the first AI team to break 100 wins (101-61) play the 91-71 Braves.

The Match up with the Red Sox is a battle of sluggers as Willie Stargell, with an amazing 69 HRs and 157 RBIs, and George hendrick with 46 and 116. They scored 786 runs, but gave up 705. Their ptiching staff is a two man operation - Jim Palmer (18-7 3.12) and George stone (17-9 3.11) They have a sevicable closer in cecil shaw (45S, 2.63) But no real set-up man and a 5th starter "by commitee" - as several Ai teams seem to do.

Our pitching lineup is anchored by Vida Blue (20-6 2.28) with 3 strong "#2's" in Les cain (18-7 3.23), Jim Slaton (17-5 2.81) and Nolan Ryan (17-6 3.30) Milt Wilcox was brought out of the bullpen after we got fed up with Dock Ellis - who by 10 July was just 7-10 with a 5.23 ERA. we traded him to the Mets for 20 stuff closer Ken Tatum. Sparky had his best year closing for us, with a steller 55 saves, but his stats have dropped the last 2 years and I've noticed that "non-closers" sometimes have issues - Fingers is 19S/19V/18C - but as a "middle reliever/spot starter" not a closer, he may have some trouble. So we brought in the bona fide closer - the only other one in our Bullpen - just to be on the safe side. Our other Bullen yeomen, Randy Moffit has excelled since coming up from the minors with a 2.7 ERA, and Bruce Kison filed in behind Milt Wilcox as our long reliever , taking up where he left off with 3-0 3.18 ERA.

On the offensive side, Reggie is still the heart of the lineup with a .285 BA, 47HR and 140 RBIs, But Free agent acquisition Dave Kingman is close behind with a .249 39 and 118. Mid-season acquisition John Mayberry has flourished going from a .240 BA to a steller .306 with 30 dingers and 101 RBIs and leads the league in walks with 94 . Rod Carew has come in and taken charge of the lead-off spot with a tea leading .309BA and tieing teammate Ken Henderson for the league lead in steals with 57 each. Our two big diasapointments are Thurman Munsen, who ws doing so poorly we sent him down after acquiring Darrell Porter, and kept sure handd Ellie Rodriguez as his backup. The other is 20 potential Shorstop Toby harrah who only broke .200 in sept ending he season with a .25, 0 HR and only 19 RBI. His 166 at bats gave Don Money some rest and he impoved to a .251 with 7 homers and 57 RBI in 386 ABs. Bil Melton and Darrell evena split time at 3rd each geting 16 jacks, and 51 and 52 RBI respectively. Melton has had the hoter stick witha .302BA, but evans has the eye with 41 walks. And our Old Man - 38 year old Norm cash has contributed off the bench in clutch situations with 8HR and 31 RBI in only 281 AB.

Well, off to deal with the Red Sox (the computer ones and the real ones - who got EM-BARE-ASSED by the Skankees last night...

Post #: 12
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/7/2006 3:58:05 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, it was teh Brewers who get EM_BARE_ASSED as Jim Palmer and George Stone are all the Red Sox need to get the first to games, as Willie Stargell looked like Reggie Jackson looked like Reggie Runt as he and Mayberry and King all go 0-fer in a demorilizing 5-1 loss. Milt Wilcox got touched up early with 2 in the 1st and 3 in the 3rd before settling down, but the damaged was done and the Crew disapointed teh home town fans. Game 2 went better as Vida Blue came in to hold the Sox to a single run, and gets a 3-1 win to tie the series. As the series shifts to Bean Town Nolan Ryan goes against 7-12 Gene Brabender, Ryan's control haunts him as we walks teh bases loaded in the 5th after Don Baylor and Don Money drive in runs the game knots up at 2. BUt Ryan turns around and gives up he lead off Homer in teh 6th to Roy Foster and that wil be all they need as Regie goes 0-fer only 1-10 with 2walks in the first three games. Game five ees Jim Palmer take the mound again against Jim Slaton, who shows some rookie jitter and gives up 3 in teh first and 1 in the second. Jon Mayberry makes it a 4-2 deficeit in the third but Slaton gives up a d2nd dinger to Stargell in the 4. Kingman, Mayberry and Jackon combine to go 1 for 11, Jackson still managing only ONE HIT and three walks in teh series. Game six sees teh series return to Milwaukee and Brewer bats UNLOADING with a 17-1 shelling behind Milt Wilcox. Darrell Evans gets 6 RBIS and Mayberry 4, but But Jackson Drew boos as he went 1 for 5. GAme 7 and the Brewer bats had caught fire, but we had a big decision with Ryan up in the roation. at 20S/20V/13C he has been our wild card - leading in walks and stikeouts, and getting peppered with HRs. We decide to go with Ryan on a shor leash, but even an inning is troubl as he walks 2 and gives up a three rn dinger to Geourge Hendrick. Mayberry comes back with a 2 run shot in the botom of the inning and it loks like the flood gates would open on poor steve Hargin (15S/12V/16C) but he pulls togethe and despite 12 hits - including a 3 for 4 effort rom the slumoning jacskon they moved teh palyers around, but could not get them in. Afer leaving the bases loaded int he 2nd and third, he Sox strke quikly with a lead off homer to take a 4-2 lead. Ken Henderson respons in kindin the bottom of the inng and the 1 run lead holds as the Brew Cre leave runers in sicring position in the 5th and 7th. Ryan makes short work of the Sox stiking out 7 batters in a row in the 6th 7th and to start teh 8th, but then has control problems as he walks two and give up a t run double. Cecil Upshaw dispatches the Brewers in the 8th and 9th for a 5 out save and a series win for the Red Sox.

The Sox go down 4-1 to the Cards - with Don Suton and Fergie Jenkins leading a seemingly innocuos crew - only two of which have over 10 HR, but ho are a run factory with 6 plyers hitting over .280 lead by Lou Pinella and Bily Williams and incredible defense - 8 of the 9 position players having 16+ hands - in the Series though, so we can't even say we were dispatched by the Wold Champions. A Devestating end to what was promising to be back to back World series victories...

But there is always Next year! 1973 is a new year... do we let a few bad games lead us to clean a little house, or do we stay the course and remeber, basebal is baseball and sometimes a few Great players will beat you...Especialy when your "great players" fall asleep!

Post #: 13
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/8/2006 6:26:16 AM   
Paul Vebber

Well, Hot stove action in 72 saw us use about 10 of the 12 million we freed up to extend the contracts of Vida Blue and Nolan Ryan for 3 years so they have 4 remaining, Fingers rejeced 3 years but took 2 and up and coming LF backup Geaorge Foster e-upped for 3 at a very reasonable cost.

It leaves us short on cash, but this season be the 5th year on many of our remaining initial acquisitions and we will get some back with the folks we lose to free agency.

We will spend our remaining 5M$ (we got 3M in inflation growth) on draft picks rather than free agency to try to get the most from our money. We will also check out the free agent market after spring training as you can often find decent plyers for next to nothing.

In the draft we decide to go with CF/RF Bob Coluccio (14C/13P/14E/10pot 0hands,17 speed, 20 arm, 15 range) and 18 year ld left hander David Clyde (11S/9V/11C/11pot). Our bargain basement acquisition is Merv Rettenmund (16C/125P/16E) 30 year old CF/RF and 40 year old Orlando Pena (17C/14V/19C) both for 20,000.

After Spring training we bring Thurman Munsun up to catch backup to Porer and sent ellie Rodrigeuz down. Bruce Kison put on 4 points of stuff 915 to 19) and we make him a starter and return Milt Wilcox to the bull pen.

We get off to a slow start, spending a few days in April at the bottom of the division as our pitching staff just gets LEVELED at one point giving up 82 runs in a week. We bring up Orlando Pena and that seemed to spark a resurgence. Newcomer Bruce Kison leads teh staff with 9 wins, but 6 losses. Nolan Ryan who added another point of conrol (20S/20V/14C) has cut his walks in half so far this year and is 8-4. Jim Slaton is 7-4 and Les cain, who has had two stints on the DL is 6-4. Vida Blue has been a disappoint so far with a 5-3 record. Rollie Fingers has held down the fort when te starters has faultered and the big bats have rewarded him with 7 wins. Sparky turned his stats around this off season but just has not gotten the opportunites with so many blow out games (we are 3-15 when he other team scores over 5 runs and 29-3 when we score over 5 runs and 22-3 when the run diferential is 5 or more. But the Spark man has 21 saves in 23 appearences with a blown save and a loss and not gven up any homers. The fans love our pitching staff as Bruce Kison and Jim Slaton make the all star game as starters, and rollie fingers and terry Forster make it as relievers.

On the Offensive side, the first half is dominaed by Mayberry with a .359 BA with 23 jacks and 64 RBIs. Reggie is close behind with 21 and 57, but only batting .260. Dave Kingman has struggled a bit batting only .231, but still delievering in the clutch with 19 dingers and 61 RBI. Rod Carew is batter .306 in the lead ff spot with 39 stolen bases in 42 attempts. CF Ken henderson is batting .252and is perfect 24 of 24 in SB attempts. Bill Melton is also swinging a hotbat at 327, but weakly with only 5 HR and 21 RBIs. In the rotation of catching woes, Munson's stint in the minorsadded 100 points to his Ba - up to .286 this year from .180 last year. Ellie Rodriguez is batting .327 behind him, but with only 2 RBI. Darre Porter was only batting .212 by the middle of May so he was sent down and Rodriguez who was batng .427 in AAA was brought up.
SS Toby Harah is about to get sent down, baing only .133 behind Don Money. And Old Grampa Norm Cash has maing the ost of his late game DH and pinch hiting with 5 HR and 12 RBI in 55 ABs. Mayberry and Jackson will represent in theall star ame and Mayberry is flirting with the triple crown - 1st in BA with .359, third in HR with 23 (3 back of Bob Robertson) and 2nd in RBIwith 64 (behind Robertson with 74). Mayberry is second behind teammate Rod Carew in hits with 101 (carew has 110) and second behind Hank Aaron in Slugging at .679 (hank is .681) and is first in OBP with a .440 (distant second is Bernie Carbo with a .389).

All this has slowly but surely lead us up from last place on April 17th and 18th, a nip and tuck race with the Angels and Royals through May spending most of the time oscillating between 2nd and 3rd. June saw an 11 game winning streak and a Kansas city collapse that catapulted us to 1st with a 53-28 mark 8 games ahead of the Angels and 9 ahead of teh A's. The White Sox and Royals are tied 10 back and the Twins a woeful 36-45 17 games back. Injuries so far have been minor and mostly tothe pitching staff.

We need to get back on the playoff horse and get over the VERY disapointing loss to the Red Sox last year.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/8/2006 6:51:28 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/9/2006 7:19:35 AM   
Paul Vebber

OK, well the All-Star break is time to look at moving the deadwood out and seeing what we can get for it.

We check the contract report for the gus whose contracts are up this year and those that want too much o extend, we offer to deal. Carl Morton is obe of our top pitching prospects but wants 3+M to extend. San Franciso is wiling to offer a young RF Dwight Evans. His contract expires this year too but we take the chance we can extend him and it works, we get a 4 yr extension for uner 2M. Mike Torrez is out other top pitcing prospect but he wants aalmost 4M to resign, so we put him up and get J.R. Richard from the Mets He has 1 years remaining, but we get him to extend for 4 mor also for 1.8M$. Our other trade propect is Bill Rusell who wants 2.5M so we send him to the Dogers for a noob 3B Doug Decinces, who has 2 years remaining and extends for 2 more for 1.3M. THe one prospect we resign is 2B Dave Cash who we reup for 4 years for 2.5M. SO we started with 3.5M resign 4 solid prospects to 4-5 years and still have 2.5M left!

We pretty much ruise through he second alf of the season and nearly break 900 runs, with 897. Our 107-55 record is best in the association, but we have to get y a scrapy Detroit Tiger team anchred by Jeff Burroughs, Roberto Clemente and Tony Horton.

IN game 1 Jim Slaton gets in troule early getting out of a frst and third no outs jam in the first giving up two solo home runs in the 2nd and 3rd, getting out of a 1 out bases loaded jam in the 4th and a 3rd run in the 5th. It looked like our post season hitting woes were back to haunt us as Ron Reed had a no hitter going into the 7th, but he tired and lost his breaking ball giving up 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th, 2 of which were unearned after a crucial error on Richie Hebner loaded the bases instaed of being the 3rd out. We go up 1-0.

Game two pits Vida Bue against Ray Culp. Blue gets in trouble first with a 2 out 1s and 3rd jam and Reggie Jackson made a great play in te corner to save a double that would have scored 2. Jackson then lead off with a single. An error by Horton lets Don money on with two outs And DOn Baylor gave it ride, but only to the warning track. BOth pithers get 1-2-3 innings in the 3rd and each team strands a runer at first in the 4th and the Tigers in the 5th. A leadoff walk to baylor turns intot eh games first run as Thurman Munson triples on a ball very much like the one Jackson made the spectacular play on earlier, but Burrough can't get to it and it gets past him into the corner and Munson ends up on third. Carew then scores Munson on a ground out. The tigers strand a runer at 1st for the third inning in a row in the top of the 6th. Blue leaves after 7 and 97 pitches with a 4 hit shutout working and we go to Fingers. After 2 LOOONG fly balls that are tracked down by Henderson Culp comes out for the 8th, issues 3 straight walks to load teh bases. Jackson then doubles to score 2 and culp walks the bses loadd agind on 4 straight balls to Darrell Evans. Henderson then cranks on to dead center that looks lie its gona make it fr ths Salami, but Joe Rudi times his jump perectly and keep the game from going the rout route. Dave Kingmn scores from 3rd, as does Jackson on Don Moneys shorter fly out to right. Fingers stayson to finish out the 4 hit shutout and we ake a 2-0 lead.

After St. Louis takes a 3- lead in the NL series over teh giants we take the field at Detroit with Nolan Ryn on the mound against Jim Merritt.
JIm gets off to a rocky start giving up 4 hits scoring 1 and walking in a 2nd before getting out of the bases loadedjam realtively easily. Ryan nearly returns the favor giving up two doubles before strikig out the side. Merrit may not be long for the game as we gie up singles to Munson and a walk to Carew before Dave Kingman takes him deep to rack up a 5-1 lead. MIke walace indeed comes in gets out of the ining stranding Jackson on first. Detroits pitching woes continue ith a lead off singel to Bil Melton and a double by baylor and walk to Munon load the bses with nobody out. After Mayberry pops out Mr. October puts this one to bed with a bases clearing triple over the head of Rudi in Center field. Don Money then scores him on a seeing eye single up he middle. Detroit soldiers on, loading the bases with one out in the botom of the 3rd, but a fly ball to DOn Baylor becomes a DP as he guns down the slow footed Milt May to get out of the inning with the 10 run advantage in tact. THings go smoothly for Ryan until te botom of teh 5th when he gets into another 1 out bases loaded jam and Jeff Burroughs cashes it in with the Granny cutting the deficit to 11-5. Kingman homers again to advance the lead to 12-5.urroughs gets his 2nd of the game in the botom of the 7th with 1 on and the Tigers hope for a miracle. Ryan stays out for teh 6th with only 85 pitches and gets out with 17 pitches. Despite giving up 7 runs, he ges teh complete game victory with 5 wlaks and 7 Ks. one moe win and we go to the series!

Les Cain goes for the sweep in game 4 and gives up a lead of hit and 2 out double to fall behind 1-0. An opportune DP gets Cain out of a 1st and 3rd 1 out jam in the botom of the third as the Mighty Brew Crew bats manage only 1 hit through 4 incuding having TOm Hall the side stike out in the 4th. Cain did the same in the bottom, with a walk sandwiched in. Merv Rettenmund gets things rolling in the top 5th with a lead off Jack that as still going up as it cleared the fence in left it seemed. Cain gets fired up and strikes out the side in the 5th. Cain continues with unhttable stuff with to more srikouts in the 6th. But teh bats remain quite with only 3 hits through 8th. Cain comes out in the 8th having thrown 126 pitches giving up 1 run on 4 hits that would normally be a win. We bring in Ken Tatum gets two quick outs and Roberto Clemente sends one back, WAAY BACK but Henderson gauges where te wall in Center is and saves an extra base hit. Mayberry leads off teh top of the ninth wih a double and Jackson ends him to 3rdon a single. He thousands of Brewer fans wh made the Trek to MoTown come to their fet as Grampa Norm Cash comes in to pinch hit for Don Money and sends a long fly ball to left that runs out of steam quickly, but is enough to score Mayberry and a Brewer Lead! Sparky comes in to close it down, but gives up a double and a single to get into a First and third 1 out jam. we play the percentages and send in Fingers but Milt May flys out to score Hortona and tie teh game back up. He stays out for the 10th and gets a 3 up 3 down inning. In the bottom of teh 11th Kingman singles, Mayberry posp out and Jackson singles. Cash grounds out and Rettenmund walks to load the bases. Bill Melton steps to teh plate and gets ahead 3-1. A Ruthven cut fastball hangs up in the zone and Melton CRUSHES IT to straightaway Center to put the BRew Crew up 6-2 . Fingers, who has goten by on just 13 itches in 2 innings stays out for teh 11th and gets teh win to sweep the series!

We have to wait to see who we play as the Giants take 2 after going down 3-0 to St Louis. The Cards get game six and the wel rested Brewers are in the Series!

Which we will chronicle tomorrow!

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/9/2006 7:30:57 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/10/2006 6:18:56 AM   
Paul Vebber

The World Series comes to Milwaukee for the third time in 5 years!

We juggle our line up a little putting Nom Cash in at DH for the slumping Kingman and starting Kison who did not get a start in teh 4 game sweep in the ALCS.

Both pitchers cruise theough the first two innings but Fergie Jenkins gets in trouble first with a 1 out single to Munson, strikes out Carew, then a single by Norm Cash on which he sustained a finger injury and then Mayberry clears the bags to give the Brew Crew the 3-0 lead. Continuing with two outs Jackson and Darrell evans both single, but they are stranded when Henderson flys out to DEEP center. Jakson and Evans get aboard in the 6th, but are stranded then DOn Money Belts one out in the 7th to extend the lead to 4. Kison has a 2 hit shut out going with only 89 piches after 7. In the 8th Kison takes a line drive off his knee and is helped off the field in considerable pain and Ken Tatum comes in to finish the 8th. He closes the win out for a 1-0 Milwaukee lead.

Kison is lost for the rest o teh series and we bring Randy Moffit up to replace him.

Game 2 pits Don Sutton against Nolan Ryan. The third inning again is the charm for the Brew Crew as Don Money singles, Baylor draw a walk and Munson singles to score Money. Carew walks to load the bases and Norm cash, badly sprained finger and all, doubles down the first base lone to score 2 more. Mayberry flies out to deep right to score Carew. Jackson and evas are retired to strand Cash at third. In the 5th Mayberry walks and Jackson sends one screaming down the line that keeps rising and clears the fence JUST fair for 2 run dinger. Two singles and an error 3B Braun thinking DP but losing the handle and everyone ending safe. Munson's sac fly scores Henderson and Carew Flies down the 3B line deep enough to score money to stretch the lead to 8-0. Ryan finally gets touched up for a run on a Metzger double afer a walk, and a single to score him before retiring the side in the 7th. We let rookie Randy Moffit come in and hold the 8-2 lead. Which he does allowing only 1 hit and 3 Ks in 2 innings. Ryan had 2 walks and 9 K's in the win.

Game 3 pits Les Cain against Tom Murphy. Without a DH in the next 3 games the Brewers lose some fo their advantage. The Crew strikes quickly with Don Baylor reaching on an infield hit and Munson doubling him in. cain makes a bid to help himself on a liner to Right but Leron Lee makes a diving catch to rob him of a hit. Lee ties it in the botton of the third after both sides flirt with the right field wall several times. Both pitchers look impressive until the bottom of the 6th on only 80 pitches when Cain starts to tire and walks in the go ahead run wth the bases loaded. We bring in Terry Forster to try to work out of the jam. He walks in the 3rd Cardinals run before Henderson guns down John Ellis trying to tag up and ends the ining. Henderson leads off with a double, Money grounds out but then Baylor gets ahold of home and cranks it into the bullpen to tie the game. Norm Cash PHs for Forster and gets the two out single - nearly 40 Grampa is nails in the clutch! But Carew can't keep the rally going and we bring Tatum in for the 7th. tatum gets in troule with a sngle and a walk, catshe cardenal looking but Lou Pinella Triples to score 2 and give the Cards a 5-3 lead. Alen singles to score him and the Brew Crew is on the ropes! A lead of walk to Mayberry and a single by Jackson and fly to advance Mayberry for a 1st and 3rd 1 out opportunity! Reuss ks Henderson and Money grounds to third to end the threat. Abernathy comes in and retires the side in order to secure the 6-3 Cardinal win.

Game 4 sees Jim Slaton take on Tom Phoebus. Phedbus falters out of the blocks dealing hanging breaking ball that Mayberry sends out of the park. 1-0 Brewers. Slaton singles in the third and is advanced to third as the Brewers play small ball and Jackson delivers the 2 ou hit to score the pitcher! They try to do the same ting in the 4th with a lead off single by Henderson, but Munson strand him at third third. Slanton cruises util the 4th and gets into a 1st and third out jam, but gets Pinella to line right to Jackson in right to retire the side. The Cards threaten again in the 5th with two on 2 1 out and Henderson guns down the runner tagging from third again to end the inning. Munson gets a 1 out double in the 7th. We take a chance with slaton and let him try to hit away and has his second base hi stole by a spectular diving catch. Carew come up and singles to score Munson ans stretch the lead to 3. The call to leave slaton (only 66 pitches in the 7th) looks like it might bite us as he gies up his first walk and bloop single. Pinella sends one to right but Jackson catches on in stride and thows a perfect strike to third to cut down pokey Dick Allen foor the DP. Ellis is asleep at the wheel at first and has to retreat to 1st. A foul near third bse ends the inning for slaton who retains his chance for teh complete game shutout. Slaton gives up a single in he 8th, but sandwiched betwen ground outs and his 6th K to end the 8th. Slaton takes 85 pitches to the 9th, and mirrors the 8th, a single between fly outs and K to get teh complete game shutout and Milwaukees 3rd WIN!!

Vida Blue faces Fergie Jenkins in game 5, as Milwaukee can smell its 2nd World Championship. Jackson reaches in the first, but is stranded and Bue gets into a 2 on 2 out jam but gets Dick Green to pop out. Blue gets in trouble again in teh 2nd after a single by Braun and an error on Evans leaving 1st and 3rd and no outs. We keep the infield back giving up the run for the DP chance and get a sharp grounder to Carew who looks the runner back to third preventing the DP but holding te run and gets out 1. The pitcher lines sharply the evans who handles this time and gets out 2. we gusrd the lines to keep both runs from scoring and am rewarded with a liner down the 3rd base line to evans who gets Blue out of a terrible jam. evans comes through after the error to keep the cards off the board. Dick Allen wipes the smile off blues face in the botom of the third with a solo homer and it starts to look like Blue may depart early. He settles down in the 4th and with 1 out Baylor singels to left and munson doubles to right, and the Brew Crew has its best scoring threat going! Munsn strikes out leaving s with Blue up with 2 out and men on 2nd and 3rd. While he has only given up 1 run on 2 hits, he has been on the brink of disaster all game and the chants of "Grampa, Grampa, Grampa" from the Brewer fans are rewarded as Norm Cash steps to the plate! And the Old Man delivers yet agin with a double off the wall that is nearly out of the park scoring 2 and giving the brew crew the lead! Milt Wilcox comes in behind Blue and gives up a lead of double, but strands him on 2 gorund outs and a K. He gets two long outs to the warning track and another K in the 6th. DOn Money doubles with 1 out in the 7th. Baylor grounds to 2nd sending Money to third. Munson walks intentionally to get to the pitcher, but we PH Bill Melton for him. The Cards respond by bringing in Reuss. Melton gounds out to end the inning. we bring in Fingers for the 7th and hopefully the 8th. 3 up - 3 down in the 7th and the Brewers are retired in similar fashion in the to 8th. Fingers strikes out he first to batters but a single and walk make teh Brewer fans nervous. BUt Fingers gets his 3rd K of the inning to end the threat. In the top of the 9th the Crew goes down in order as Reuss has been NAILS. SParky comes in to nail down the series victory in the bottom of the 9th. He gets a ground out, but gives up a walk nd then Leron Lee gets a hold of one that goes back back, but climbs and hangs up in the wind lookig like it is almost blownback in to Hederson who catches it with his back literally agaisnt the wall. Tom Greir pinch hits for Cards reliever Scarce, and hits a check swing dribbler right back to Sparky to underhands to Mayberry for the 4-1 WORD SERIES VICTORY!!!!!

WHOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Post #: 16
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/10/2006 11:23:36 PM   
Paul Vebber

Arrrgggh! The Forum eats a longish post...this new version sems a step backward in stability...but its what I get for not copying before posting. I had to reset my password after it crashed so it seems to have choked../.

Well to summarize, we move out the old and bring in the new with aseries of pretty good trades:

Toby Harrah and Chuck Seelbach to the Phillies for a 19 year old SS Robin Yount.
Sent aging Ken Tatum and Sparky Lyle to Detroit for Glenn Abbott and Goose Gossage
This freed up money to extend Milt Wilcox and Bruce kison for 4 years each
Rod Carew and Jim Miles to Atlanta for Rick Waits and Gary Lavelle
This freed up money to resign Reggie Jackson for 3 more years.

We get off to a lousey start in April going 13-13 11 game out of last place. May sees us improve, but Kison and ryan are the only starters with winning records. The woes of Cain, Blue and Slaton continue to have problems. June turns thing around as the squablles among the rotation appear to settle down with everybody but Slaton under 3 in ERA (he is 3.06) and Kison and Ryan lead the staff with 13-2 and 12-3 records at the All-star break, with Slaton at 9-4, Bue at 8-6 and cain at 8-5 all three on 3 game winning streaks as part of a 12 game winning streak and 22 - 4 June record, bring us to 56-25 overall 13 games over 2nd place Kansas City. The Mets are traking with usin the NL wth a 52-29 mark. we are first in rus scored with 409 and first in runs allowed with 220.

More later!

Post #: 17
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/11/2006 3:25:07 AM   
Paul Vebber

The second half starts off like the first half with a series of poor pitching performances leading to a dismal 11-12 record for July, allowing the Royals to start nipping at our heels. We improve in august, an injury to Bruce Kison that sidelined him for 2 weeks appeared to galvanize the rest of the rotation. August and September go well and we match the 108-54 record from last season.

But we play the Red Sox in the ALCS, who knocked us out the last time we played them for the League Championship.

Things look grim as Slaton gives up 1 in the first and 3 in the 3rd to spot the Sox a 4 run lead. Reggie starts the climb back out scoring Darrell Evans with the bases loaded on a ground out. Kingman flys out to score Baylor, but Bob Gibson closes the door there. Slaton stumbles for good in the 6th giving up 3 and Moffit comes on in relief. The Brew Crew will no go away as Reggie leads of with a single followed by a walk to Kingman and Mayberry jack! After Money Ks, Dave Cash walks and Henderson walks then Evans singles to score cash and cut the deficit to 1. Forster comes in for Moffitt in the 7th and aside form a single has an uneventful inning. Gibson gets Kingman to ground out, and faces Mayberry. Feeling the 119 pitches Gibson’s high fast ball is not quite quick enough to get by Mayberry who homers for the 2nd time tying the game. Forster has a 1-2-3 8th and a lead of double by Baylor off Barry Moore gives the Brew crew hope, but is stranded. Forster stays out for the 9th in the 7-7 game and has another 1-2-3 inning. Moore starts the bottom of the 9th with a walk to Mayberry and Money moves him along on a single. After Dave Cash pops to 1st Ken Henderson singles to load the bases with 1 out. The Boston infield comes in to guard against the bunt and Darrell Evans pokes one over the infield to score Mayberry for the walk of victory! The Giants upset the 97-65 Mets in the NL.

Game 2 pits Vida Blue against George Stone. We get of to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 1st when Robin Yount scores on a Bill Melton ground out. Cleon Jones returns the favor in the top of the 3rd grounding out to score Tim Foli to tie it up. The Brewers get 2 in the 5th to retake the lead when Reggie singles and Kingman homers. A lead off double by cash in the 6th tuns into the 4th Milwaukee run when Dewey Evans singles him around. The Red Sox don’t roll over though and after an Enos Campbell fly out Tim Foli walks, Kurt Bevacqua singles and Cleon Jones Flys out to Right leaving 1st and 3rd 2 outs. George Hendrick singles to score Foli and then Ron Cey singles to score Bevacqua and bring the Sox to within a run. Blue stays out for hte 8th with only 92 pitches and gets a 1-2-3 inning. An error to lead off the bottom 6th allows Yount on followed by a walk to Dave cash and the Brew Crew threatens to give Fingers a Cushion in the 9th. After Henderson strikes out, Melton singles to score Yount and double the lead to 2, 5-3. Fingers comes in and gets to Ks and a ground out to give Milwaukee a 2-0 lead.

After the Giants take an amazing 3-0 lead over the NL dominant Mets, Les Cain hopes to give the Brewers a similar lead, but has to face Jim Palmer. Cain gets early run support as a lead of single by Baylor becomes a run on a 1 out double by Jackson, who gets stranded at 3rd. Cain gets a DP to help make an easy inning. Don Money and Dave Cash both single to get things going again for the Brew Crew in the 2nd. A walk to Henderson gets Palmer in a major jam with the bags full no outs. Darrel Evans flys deep to center to score Money followed by a pop fly makes it look like Palmer may get out easy. But Munson singles to score Cash before Jackson grounds out to end the inning with a 3-0 Brewer lead that could have been much worse. The Sox threaten in the bottom of the inning with a 2nd and 3rd two out threat, but a weak grounder ends the inning with no damage. Palmer’s woes continue with a lead off walk to Kingman and a single by Mayberry are thwarted by Money hitting into a DP and Dave Cash striking out. Cain gets three long fly outs in the 3rd, and Palmer gives up a lead off double to Henderson in the 4th as things start to look like they will get ugly for the Red Sox Ace. Darrell Evans K’s, but Baylor singles to score Henderson and Munson singles to set the table 1st and 3rd 1 out for Jackson. Baylor scores on a fly out, and Kingman ends the threat with a groundout. The Sox threaten again themselves with 2 singles but 2 K’s and fly out strand the pair. Palmer lets the leadoff man on for the umpteenth time in Mayberry to open the 5th, but three fly outs strand him. The Sox strand two again in the bottom of the 5th. The 3rd Palmer walk opens the 6th, and after 2 outs, Jackson cranks one into the Fenway Bullpen to stretch the lead to 8 sending Palmer to the showers. Mikkelson walks two, but strands them. Cain keeps the shutout intact with a 1-2-3 6th. Another leadoff hit becomes a run in the 7th when Baylor singles Henderson home with 2 out. Cain keeps his hopes for the complete game shutout with an efficient 9 pitch 1-2-3 bottom 7th. Gibbon FINALLY gets a 1-2-3 inning for the Sox, but so does Cain. With noone warming in the bullpen he 9 run lead is Cain’s to defend. He strikes out the first batter, but Ron Bloomberg sends a 0-1 pitch in the Bullpen to break the shutout bid. Cain comes out and Moffitt gets the final two outs to give the Brew Crew the 3-0 lead.

Nolan Ryan goes for the sweep against Bart Johnson. He gets a run in the first on a LONG bomb by Mr. October, and the game settles into a long pitchers duel with nobody getting more than 1 on in any inning until the 7th when Barry Moore comes on in relief and walks the first two batters he faces, and the a single to Darrell Evans the scores Dave Cash. Fingers comes in the 9th and gets 3 fly balls to secure the 2 hit shutout and a sweep to send the Brewers back to the World Series! Now you miht think we would be playing the Giants, who were up 3-0, but the Mets won 4 straight and its the New York team we will face.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/11/2006 3:31:15 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/11/2006 6:08:17 AM   
Paul Vebber

Game one of the Fall Classic pits Ron Reed against Jim Slaton. The Brew Crew loads ‘em up in he bottom of the first with 1 out and John Mayberry pokes a 2 run single to get things started. Don money follows with a check swing dribbler that he beats out for an infield hit to load them back up. Dave Cash hits a seeing eye single between 1st and 2nd to score Kingman and then Hnederson grounds out before Darell Evans knocks the Granny to give the Brewers a 7-0 lead in the bottom of the first and send Reed to showers with a 1/3 of an inning outing with 7 earned runs. Slaton gives up a dinger in the top of the second, but Kingman turns around after Munson and Jackson draw walks to stretch the Milwaukee lead to 10-1. Slaton very nearly gives up another in the top of the third but Henderson guns down Piniella o end the inning. Kingman adds a homer in the 4th , and the Mets respond loading the bases in the 5th but only scoring one on a sac fly. Reggie sends Bernie Brewer down the slide into the beer mug in the 6th to make it 12-2. Munson doubles in he lcky 14th and Mofitt comes on in relief of Slaton to finish things off and give the Brewers an easy 1-0 lead.

Vida Blue faces former Brewer Dock Ellis in game 2. Blue gets in a jam right off the bat with two lead off singles, but gets a DP and K to get out of the jam in the first. The pitchers duel continues until the 5th when Blue loads the bases on a walk and to singles and then walks in a run to give the Mets the lead. Ellis gets in a based loaded 1 out jam in the bottom of the inning, and Don Baylor’s sac fly ties the game before Munson ends the inning on an infield fly. Both pitchers settle down in the 6th, and Henderson keeps the game tied gunning down a runner tagging from third once again to end the inning. Both starting pitcher are still in the game as the 1-1 ties goes to extra innings. Wilcox comes in for Blue in the 10th with no damage and Ellis surprisingly stays in for the 10 and gives up a lead off single to speedy Henderson, leading to him getting the hook. Henderson takes advantage of Rooker to steal 2nd and Evans flies to Right to advance him to third. Baylor draws a walk to set up the possible inning ending DpP and despite the Hit and Run being on, Munson hits a sharp grounder right to 2nd to end the inning. Wilcox gets into a 2 on 1 out jam, but the Brewer infield turns the DP behind him to return the favor. Since a single wasn’t enough last inning Jackson doubles to lead off the 11th, but Kingman can’t make contact and Ks. Mayberry walks to fill the hole at first and Don Money singles up the middle to load ‘em up. The Mets go out with a whimper not a bang as Rooker walks in the winning run!

Game 3 pits Les Cain against Woodie Fryman who keeps the Brewers sting of quick starts going as he allows Evans and Jackson to reach and then both score on a Mayberry double. Mayberry tries to advance on a very long fly out to Right center, but is gunned down, a bad bit base running that causes the 3rd out at 3rd . With two outs it looks like Fryman will recover, but 2 walks and a single load the bases for Thurman Munson who strikes out to keep the game in reach. The Mets get 1 back in a double with a man on to cut the Brewer lead in half. Cain gets into a MAJOR jam in the bottom of the 4th loading the bases with 1 out, but gets the double play behind him to preserve the lead. The starting pitchers settle in an the 2-1 Brewer advantage stays intact until the bottom of the 8th when Goose Gossage inherits a man on first from Cain and walks the first man he faces to bring Mike Epstein to the plate who cranks a fastball WAYBACK to give the Mets a 4-2 lead that stands up.

Nolan Ryan faces Ernie Mcanally in game 4. Ryan gets out of 2 on 1 out jam on a DP after walking 2 in the 2nd. And the first 3 inning go scoreless until Mr. October gives the Brewers the lead on a solo jack to lead off the 4th. Mayberry and Dave Cash both walk with 1 out but Henderson strikes out. Darrell Evans singles to load the bases, but that brings Ryans turn up. With the pitching depth we have, we call on Grampa Norm Cash to se if he can deliver some 2 out magic. The crafty elder Brewer draws the walk to bring Mayberry in before Baylor grounds out. We bring Forster in and hope to get the 4th and 5th out of him. He walks two but gets out of the 4th. Munson and Jackson single to open the 5th and Mayberry grounds out to first to advance Munson. Money and cash both strike out and the lead stands at 2-0. after 21 pitches in the 4th Forster gets out of the 5th on only 6 pitches and we will bring him out again in the 6th. Again he lets to men on, but gets 2 strike outs to complete a great relief of Ryan. Rooker comes in for the 7th after a pinch hitter for the Mets starter and gets into a bases loaded 1 out jam. The urge to bring Yount in to PH should have been followed as Money K’s and Dave Cash grounds out. Will Macenaney comes in to relive Forster gets a 1-2-3 inning. The new pitcher gets a sac fly to advance Henderson, he is stranded and he gets another 1-2-3 inning to preserve the save opportunity for Fingers. Rodrigeuz comes on in the top of the 9th fo the Mets and he loads the bses wih nobody out. We bring Yount in for Money this time, but this time its Yount that k’s. Dave Cash pops out to 2nd and it looks like the Brewers will squander an opportunity for some insurance for Rollie. Henderson steps to the plate and drives a hanging slider WAAAYBACK, but Johnstone makes a circus catch to rob Henderson of a Salami! Fingers comes on for a 1-2-3 save and a 3-1 Milwaukee lead!

Game 5 sends Slaton to the mound for Milwaukee against Ron Reed. Slaton gets in trouble right off the bat, but works out of eh bases loaded 1 out jam with a K and a fly out. The game remains coreless until the bottom of the sixth when Jay Johnstone sends a log fly ball back to the right center fence. Henderson gives chase and tracks t, looking up at the wall, leaping and getting a glove on it but bending his arm awkwardly over the wall. Bad news for the Brewers as not only is it a two run homer, but Henderson may be badly hurt. Jackson goes to Center and Dewey Evans comes in a Right. Slaton gives up 2 more runs in the 8th to pt the brewers in a dire 4-0 hole.

The news on Henderson is bad has he has hyper-extended his elbow and will miss the res of the series. Bob Coluccio is brought up to man CF. Vida Blue and Doc Ellis go at it again as the Mets fans bring their “DESTINY” signs to Milwaukee and their hoes for a game 7 are surging. The game stars with the look of a classic pitchers dual as both pitchers stuff is working the first 2 innings. Ellis gets in rouble in the bottom of the third after a Darrell Evans single and Don Baylor double put men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Elis gets Munson on three straight pitches bringing Jackson to the plate. Jackson draws a walk to load the bases and Kingman scores Evans on the sac fly. Ellis minimizes the damage getting Mayberry to ground out to third. The pitchers dual continues until the bottom of the 8th when a walk, a wild pitch and a stolen base send Tommie Agee to third where a sac Fly scores him to tie the game. Milt Wilcox relieves Blue in the 9th and holds the tie as Reggie Jackson comes to the plate in the bottom of the 9th and the Milwaukee faithful come to their feet! Rodriguez comes in to relieve Ellis and After a long at bat, Jackson draws the lead off walk. Kingman K’s and then Mayberry is walked. But Money is anything but and grounds into a DP to end the inning. Reggie smith leads of the 11th with a LOONG home run to deep center to give the Mets the 2-1 lead, but Wilcox is unphased and K’s two and gets a fly out to keep the damage minimal. But runs are few and far between in this game as the Brewer bats have gone silent! Jackson singles with 1 out and is advanced to second, But Mayberry’s bid to get the ball over the head of the center fielder falls short and we go to game 7.

Well we have rested our young ace Bruce Kison for just such an eventuality and he will take on Woodie Freeman as the Mets, down 3-1 come back to tie the Series and force game seven. We also go with Yount at SS, Melton at third, Porter behind the plate, and Evans in Left. Kison gets his typical 1-2-3 inning in the 1st, but cash smashes a lead-off triple to mount an immediate threat 90ft away. Unfortunately, Evans and Kingman strike out, and Mayberry draws a walk bringing Jackson to the Plate with 2 out and 2 on. Jackson gets behind 1-2, but gets the high heat and pegs it to hang a crooked number in the first. Fryman and Kison exchange gooseggs until the bottom of the 4th when Yount and Cash both single with 2 outs. Evans reaches on a error by Agee loading the bases, but Mayberry lies out to deep right center. Kison gives up his first run in the 5th after Piniella singles followed by a double that Piniella trys to score on. The loss of Henderson in Center is felt as Coluccio can’t gun him down like Henderson probably would have. Kison gives up another homer in the 6th to Lefebvre before retiring the side. Kison setteles down for the 7th and 8th and turns the 3-2 lead and the hopes of Milwaukee for back to back World Championships to Rollie. He strikes out Miller, then faces Shamsky who PH’s for Johnson He fouls out to the third baseman near the mets dugout. The entire City is one its feet and chants of “1 more out” echo from the hundreds of corner taverns from Cudahy to Menomenee Falls! Mackanin, with 16 jacks and 76 RBIs steps to the plate and he works a walk, as Rollie pitches around him not wanting to take any chances with Agee behind him. Mackanin moves to 2nd on defense indifference with 2 strikes on Agee and… on the 3-2 Agee lines out to Evans to end the game! BREWERS WIN!!!! BREWERS WIN!!!!!!

Nolan Ryan at 21-8 wins and league best 249 K’s the Best Pitcher on the season.

We reward our World series heroes with contract extensions a year out, Terry Forster, and Rollie for 3, Baylor, Porter, and Mayberry only agreed to 2 more, and Munson and Darrell Evans to 1 year each.

Post #: 19
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/11/2006 7:35:59 PM   
Paul Vebber

As we move to 1975 and wee how folks are developing and what they want in the way of compensation, we have to make some tough decisions with the stars we have with 1 year left. While Dave Cash has blossomed at 2nd, we need to look to the future behind him. Ellie Rodriguez has had his potential fall off. He is still one of the best defensive catchers, but with Munson and Porter he is not worth the 3+M he wants to extend. We identify a young 2nd baseman by the name of Willie Randolf who looks like he has potential and package Rodriguez, Veteran pitcher Tony Cloninger and a couple aging outfielders to make he deal.

Next we look to center where Ken Hnderson is already getting 5+M and wants another 1.5 to extend. He has en one of our fan favorites, gunning don runners on a routine basis and flirting with the steals lead, but his contact and power fell o sharply his of season and as he approaches 30, his average has slipped the last coupe years from .300+ to the .270s. With several of our power hitters (Jackson and Mayberry) losing some punch we focus on power hitter replacements and of course being the Brewers zero in on 25 year old Gorman Thomas. The Cards want a dear price for him, the only possibilities seem to include Henderson and either Nolan Ryan or Les Cain – both 20S/20V. Cain is in the last year of his contract and wants 7+ to extend so we take him as he centerpiece of the deal and work to add a replacement starter, Jerry Reuss. This involves a lot of negotiation but we finally reach an agreement adding utility outfielder George Foster, who hs just neer had enough time I the major to pan ot to his 17 potential, and Merv Rettenmund. We extend Thomas to 4 years for 2M and change, but Reuss wants 6M so we will accept his 2 remaining years. In filing in the bodies behind this we sign an aging Pete Rose to replace Rettenmund as our senior mentor to go drinking with Norm Cash.

We go into 1975 with high hopes of a three-peat, nd for once in a few years ge off to a fast start going 18-8 in April ad 17-11 in May. Our pre Al-star hot steak strikes again with an 11 game win reak in mid June to match out 18-8 start in June. Our 54-27 record is best in the majors 8 games over the A’s in the Division.

We have had this success despite our worst injury season. Don Baylor went required minor elbow surgery and was gone for nearly 6 weeks. Dave Cash had a finger problem that caused him to miss 3 weeks, Reggie got hit on the hand and lost nearly 4 weeks with a hair line fracture. Vida Blue has missed 3 starts with hip problems, and Goose Gossage had to spell Finger for a very minor back problem that lingered for nearly 10 days.

The starting rotation has not missed Cain, Reuss coming in to reach 10 wins along with Slaton in the 1st half. Kison Blue and Ryan all have 8 wins, but Blue leads the team with 8 losses in what has been an up and down season for him. We have been going with only 5 in the Bullpen and Fingers has been excellent with 25 saves in 27 opportunities giving up only 7 runs and only 3 Homers. The goose has been the rock of the bullpen with 27 appearances and 6-1 record, likewise having given up only 3 jacks and 12 ERs in double the innings Fingers has. Forster has been the big disappointment this year with 34 innings in 20 outings and 21 earned runs for a 5.45 ERA. Wilcox has been holding the fort when the starters stuggle and kept things close in many games.

Offensively the First have has been well off our expectation. Thomas was brought in as a fourth big stick, but is leading the mix right now with a mediocre .268 BA 18 HR and 59 RBI, Mayberry is right with him at .268 18 HRs and 51 RBI, and Kingman is struggling with out outs, batting only .240 with 19 and 44 and Reggie have lost several weeks is only bating.246 with 15 HRs and 36 RBI. Don Baylor is leading the team in hitting with a .319, but NOBODY else is over .270. Don Money is riding the Pine bating only .249, and Dewey Evans and Bill Melton are flirting with being sent down, with a pitiful .171 and dismal .214 respectively. Jackson is about to return from the DL, bring u to full strength for the first time in about 6 weeks. Nevertheless we are still poised for another 100 win season, even if we are a ways off our 800 run pace.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/11/2006 7:37:19 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/13/2006 4:10:37 AM   
Paul Vebber

well I'm off to Japan and points west for the next month.

We made the playooffs and went 7 games against the dreaded Red Sox. We then went to the Seires against Philly, and our bats went silent, losing 4-2 scoring only 11 runs in all 6 games inculding 2 shut outs.

This will be our last entry for a while. I'll kep ome notes in case I get a chace to post.

Thanks for reading!

Post #: 21
RE: Summer of '69 League Blog - 6/13/2006 8:03:06 PM   
SirWolf1960

Have a great trip. I look forward to more posts when you return.

Steve

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Summer of '69 League Blog Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI