CTD 1.801 not just saving games

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

asdicus

CTD 1.801 not just saving games

Post by asdicus »

I have been getting random CTD's from v1.801 - sometimes on saving but also just clicking any button or icon within the game or on the map. It is not easily repeatable but it does happen fairly often. I have a screen dump of the error message from windows xp sp2 - it always refers to the module dsound.dll. For sound I am using a soundblaster xi-fi card with direct x 9.0c. screenshot of error message attached. Any more info or game save required please let me know.

Attachments
witp_error_1.jpg
witp_error_1.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Don Bowen

RE: CTD 1.801 not just saving games

Post by Don Bowen »

dsound.dll is a windows module, not part of WITP. Are you having any other sound problems??
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

dsound is part of directx, basically telling you that your codex's or your drivers are having problems. While happening within WitP, it is not actually WitP causing the problem.

Update your drivers, check acceleration in dxdiag (try different levels), etc.

asdicus

Post by asdicus »

Don - sound is working fine in the game and on the pc in general. I have run dxdiag and it reports no errors.
asdicus

Post by asdicus »

I have checked dxdiag again in detail and there are no errors at all to report. The xi-fi drivers are up-to-date and there are no sound problems in any other programs. I will try turning the hardware acceleration down from full to standard and see if that makes any difference.

Note this error message which refers to dsound.dll also gets repeated during the save game ctd that a lot of people are reporting. As the dsound.dll is the latest direct x 9.0c version are you sure there is not a conflict between this dll and the game itself ?
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

As the dsound.dll is the latest direct x 9.0c version are you sure there is not a conflict between this dll and the game itself ?

No sound changes have been made since I repackaged all the sounds back for 1.3. If you are having sound problems, it is always hardware/driver related. (unless you added some third party sounds after the fact)

All the sounds in WitP are Windows Media player format. If you are crashing due to sound, it always points right back to the core windows installation coupled with any other applications you have installed that installed additional sound drivers/codex (this includes things like mp3 players, dvd players, divx, etc).

Return to “Tech Support”